Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That is indeed the spirit of the Four Corners Unit. I really look forward to get togethers to meet old friends and make new ones. We always seem to enjoy each others' company and celebrate the outdoors.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
I think that you are reading the pulse of new Airstreamers correctly, G.

We have attended both Forums and WBCCI Rallies.

At a Forums Rally, Airstreams are discussed at length. What works, what doesn't, what's new, and how to do stuff that makes Airstreaming more enjoyable. The atmosphere is very casual. If you choose to participate in a certain function, fine; if you don't, that's fine also.

At a WBCCI Rally, you stand in a long line to register, you are scolded for forgetting to bring your official WBCCI name badge. Quilting and scrap booking are discussed at length. Airstreams or camping are not often mentioned.
moosetags,

Your description of a WBCCI does not sound like the unit rallies we have attended, perhaps that description fits the Region and Special Event Rallies, it certainly fits the International. However, there is more to WBCCI than Region, Special Event and International Rallies.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 07-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I think Steph hit the nail on the head!

Could it be there is enough wide open space on God's green earth for two clubs???

Or 1 club and 1 group of really wild and crazy party animals!!!

Just a thought........

G

On Edit: Not too wild though...some of us have kids...but you get the idea...

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Old 07-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Here I go talking out of my ear again...

Seems to me that there is a new type of Airstream owner. Younger in age and younger at heart. This group is turned off by too much regulation and required conformity and the mess hall style of camping.

The WBCCI in general has not met these needs.

Well, we are the WBCCI and it's up to us to modify our Club to suit our needs. We can do it from the top down or from the bottom up. I contend that from the bottom up is easier and more fun.

Four Corners Unit etc. has begun the process of changing the Club. This type of Unit is directed straight at the new style of Airstreamer and like the NEU they will grow very quickly as members stories of trips and camp outs draws others who want in on the fun. Sales 101 is to offer someone what they want and they will buy it.

So start a new Unit with your friends and do the things you like to do. Go to your nearest Airstream dealership and in exchange for them handing out your info and giving you the new owners address or E-mail put free advertising for the dealership in your newsletter or on your website.

This new group of Streamers is defined not by age but by attitude. Your Units attitude is what will allow it to grow and thrive or dry up and blow away.

P.S. The shortcut method is for you and all your friends to join a old dying Unit and get elected to office and change the Units direction.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 07-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
7. Try to actively encourage and provide activities for children and families with children.. Our unit holds record for two "memo's" from HQ for scheduling Rallies at Adult's Only RV Parks.. (and these are senior type, not the racy type.. )
that's the reason i'll probably never join the WBCCI. it seems when i looked into it briefly awhile back, the consensus i got from reading the forums is that the WBCCI is simply not kid friendly (i don't have the details or info to back that up, it's just what i recall and a feeling i got from my research 7 months ago and it was enough to put me off).

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
Old 07-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #20
_

. , .
when i first read the title for this thread...

my interest was high...

as the topic seemed to be getting lost 'forum members back...

now that's important!

as 4 sorting out lost members of the wb'

lipets, you WILL need to rely on old directories or local unit data bases...

the home office doesn't even keep the mailing address of non renewing members....

so lipets you WILL need to get the data locally and follow it up locally...

good luck.

folks don't renew because they is OLD or DYING...

AND cuze the club ain't fun, but IF they mention that someone says...

"it is your responsibility to join, serve, sponsor and MAKE it fun"...

the typical wb scold...i'm sick of reading 'what have you done' crap....

"free 4 a year to new buyers" it's been done.

the wb didn't like it and doesn't support it. "those folks don't contribute or renew" is their view.

the strength of the wb is local units as leo likes to remind us...

but the problem is only a few local units (less than 20?) are strong.

and those few units along with the caravan intraclub and vac COULD be the basis for a really SMALL, mostly happy wbcci....

do we really need international officers to christen new unit brass?
why do these ibt wigs travel so much?
do they really need to waste resources this way?
let them work at a local unit level ONLY...
the damage they inflict will not be as widespread

most units aren't located in ideal camping areas so they cannot do as the socal or new england or 4cu does...

that is, go camping!

for socialization and member bonding and officer advancement

most units rely on luncheons primarily with 2 or 3 camping events near casket factories or state fairs,

with prostate screening or pull tab collecting as the high point.

at the international level MOST voting issues are SELF INFLICTED

or rhetoric about the club, focused on the workings of the club and it's officers....

when was the last big motion or amendment that had ANYTHING to do with camping....

like stef so clearly notes....
-we don't need officers to camp
-we don't need rules for a good time
-we don't need meetings for anything really
-we don't need to visit the local buffet just to connect with other 'steamers
-and sadly we don't need the wally club history to enjoy our trailers

at virtually every forum function new folks are welcomed with open arms and a plate of chow...

that is NOT the case on the wb side....
often.

most dealers are EMBARASSED by the wb and it's image. it is above and beyond the call that they still even include wb info with a trailer...

besides the wb leadership and future is all about mohos now right?

most dealers want to sell campers to happy campers and support local happy camping....

very very few new trailer sales happen because of wb support or involvement...

the wb isn't the happy campers club....

we are here.

leo keeps tryin' but the sales pitch is weakening...

joining a club with 'rank' and 'officers' and tradition and a ladder to work up

doesn't appeal to many folks anymore in any social endeavor...

it is just to hard to wear a blue beret and a friggin name tag....

i'll stick with the rbcci...it's got more colors!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #21
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
that's the reason i'll probably never join the WBCCI. it seems when i looked into it briefly awhile back, the consensus i got from reading the forums is that the WBCCI is simply not kid friendly (i don't have the details or info to back that up, it's just what i recall and a feeling i got from my research 7 months ago and it was enough to put me off).

David forget the forums on this issue call the local unit(s) in your area and find out what activities they have.

Also, never say never your the type of member we're looking for!

Old 07-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Hi Patrick! It was a pleasure meeting you all a couple of months back. So sorry you weren't able to attend our Fort Schuyler rally. I think you and Lauren would have had a great time -- I keep hearing everybody did.

I think the difference here, and it certainly is Colonial's right, is that I didn't sense from David that the WBCCI has any relevance in the sales process.

When the club was formed IHMO I believe it became a tool for Airstream. The club was certainly under the control of Wally and Helen. The WBCCI back then at least was the promise after the purchase.

I got the impression from David that the WBCCI was of little use in the sale of a trailer. Being in control of a sale is important. I can understand David not wanting WBCCI participation at a trade show in case the participation does anything but add to the prospects of a sale. It's tough to be in control of people that don't work for you.

I'd have to guess that David has had a bad experience with the WBCCI, or that dealers in general don't see the WBCCI as a significant sales tool. If I had to judge by the picture showing WBCCI leaders in the Wanderlust book I'd have to agree. I'm not sure what sales/marketing talent we have within the IBT, but to put that photo in that book probably kept hundreds from joining, if not thousands.

Everything in the club that revolves around official meetings and procedures is clearly a turn-off to the overwhelming majority that bought a trailer to go camping and having fun.

If someone is knowledgeable about the WBCCI though there are many aspects that can be sold to a couple or family buying a trailer both new and used.

The Caravans, the holy grail of the club, allow new retirees the opportunity to see North America safely and cheaply in the company of others. For not much more than the cost of gas, tolls, and entertainment costs, there simply isn't a better way to see it all with experienced caravan leaders.

Local rallies provide families weekend opportunities to camp locally with other Airstreamers, and with any luck, other families with kids the same age (if not Grandchildren).

If someone is coughing up the serious $$$ that a new Airstream costs, it's natural for somebody to want to meet and hang around with similar buyers of similar units even if it's only 2-3 times a year. What kind of value do you have to get out of $70 dues when you just spent $40K+ on a trailer to justify WBCCI membership? In comparison I'd say all you have to do is attend one worthwhile event a year and you've gotten your value.

We've had multiple members that said they've bought trailers and were never told about the club. To me -- it's pretty sad that the club is thought of so little that could actually happen. I guess with a 52 year old club though the chance of a bad experience with some bad leaders could be enough to temper somebodies attitude to keep an arm lengths distance instead of getting closer to one another.

If somebody is seriously interested in selling the club combined with somebody that is seriously interested in selling a trailer, I can't see how that wouldn't be a win-win situation.

The biggest step for an Airstream owner is to have the opportunity to meet another WBCCI member. Somebody that can introduce them to other members. The club becomes another reason to use the Airstream more. What's not to like?

__
I made a suggestion along these same lines to Don Shafer "I visited the local Airstream dealer recently and the only items I found concerning the WBCCI were a few stickers and pictures of prior International and other rallies. I think that WBCCI, and Airstream, are missing a great sales tool, that is "buy an Airstream and look at all of the places you can go and people you can meet on Caravans, Unit Rallies and Special Event Rallies", in addition look at all of the Airstreams which are over 25 years old (this shows the longevity of the product, for which Airstream asks so much for)."

His reply was as follows: "Airstream dealers are independent business people, not a sub organization of the Company. Some dealers are very interested in WBCCI, others, particularly new ones, don't understand. This is something Airstream lives with and attempts to solve, so do we. We do explore the dealer/unit relationship, and some are very successful."

It has been my experience that a salesman is willing to accept help from anyone if it helps make the sale. Perhaps WBCCI has no value in this sales process. This should stop.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #23
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Leo, you hit the nail very squarely on the head.

Very well put!

Old 07-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Special event rallies that forums can't pull off, caravans, Internationals, large groups of LOCAL members, courtesy parking. 140 units with roughly 1,000+ events to attend every year. Today you can find units that do all types of camping and a forums rally isn't for all of those folks either (although my style of camping fits right in-line with what forums rallies are).

$70 = MORE, MORE, MORE plus the sense of history, nostalgia, being part of a larger group with bigger and better events. Meeting and having access to a much larger community than forums rallies will ever provide. Remember a large contingent of forums members ARE WBCCI members. Take them away from forums rallies and I wonder what you have left?
I guess the problem would be that those things are not enough to pull people in. Regular working folks can't ordinarly go spend a month or so on Caravan, or weeks at special event rallys. I've been to special event rallys that went on all week and pulled up stakes by the weekend, just as working folks were showing up. Well, that's if there's a pay schedule for working folks who can only make it on the weekend. 1000+ events to attend? Sure, if you're out travelling the country all summer. It's no coincidence that most of the old members of the unit I was in are Schoolteachers. Who else has the summers off to be so involved?

As for the sense of history and nostalgia - that came for free with the trailer There are no bigger/better events in this part of the country. Want to go spend a week at LandLocked Harbor and have lunch at Hooters with the old folks at the Region rally? Fun! Want to go spend a week in the heat in a fairgrounds parking lot in Salem? No thanks, we had a great time at Silver Falls. Quantity does not make quality. I still see nothing worth my money in the WBCCI, and that's after three years of trying to encourage fun rallys. There was just no getting around the bureaucracy. And besides, folks like it the way it is.

2Air, I almost fell off my chair laughing - casket factories and prostate screenings?! So close to true, it's scary!

Old 07-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #25
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
There was just no getting around the bureaucracy.
Yes there is, that's why there's several threads in the WBCCI, are you reading what's being said?

Did you listen to the recordings from Perry?

Quote:
And besides, folks like it the way it is.
Not true that's why the vote was 3700 to 2400.

Us folks don't like it the way it is!

To read what your saying it sounds like what's wrong with the current leaders.

Close minded set in their ways.

Times are a changing with the WBCCI, there are enough that unlike youself do care and will try and make it happen!

PS: Stef, your own web site says

"It might not be perfect, but we still have the freedom to try and make it that way, and that's why it is still the greatest country in the world. So instead of saying 'if you don't like it, leave', I would say 'if you don't like it, speak up and work to make it better'. That's America."

If it works for Americia why can't it work for WBCCI

Old 07-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I guess the problem would be that those things are not enough to pull people in. Regular working folks can't ordinarly go spend a month or so on Caravan, or weeks at special event rallys. I've been to special event rallys that went on all week and pulled up stakes by the weekend, just as working folks were showing up. Well, that's if there's a pay schedule for working folks who can only make it on the weekend. 1000+ events to attend? Sure, if you're out travelling the country all summer. It's no coincidence that most of the old members of the unit I was in are Schoolteachers. Who else has the summers off to be so involved?

As for the sense of history and nostalgia - that came for free with the trailer There are no bigger/better events in this part of the country. Want to go spend a week at LandLocked Harbor and have lunch at Hooters with the old folks at the Region rally? Fun! Want to go spend a week in the heat in a fairgrounds parking lot in Salem? No thanks, we had a great time at Silver Falls. Quantity does not make quality. I still see nothing worth my money in the WBCCI, and that's after three years of trying to encourage fun rallys. There was just no getting around the bureaucracy. And besides, folks like it the way it is.

2Air, I almost fell off my chair laughing - casket factories and prostate screenings?! So close to true, it's scary!
Stephanie,

Last year, before the Salem International, you were commenting that it was too bad that the VAC open house was on Friday rather than Saturday or Sunday, when working people could visit. I invited you down on either day and said that I was sure I could find some trailers to look at and some owners to talk with. I am sorry if I missed you. I also sent an invitation with 2air when he left to go to Silver Falls, inviting you all over, I am sorry I missed you then also.

I am a poor working stiff and had to take my vacation to drive 900 miles in two days to make the VAC parade, a great event, and to meet all of my internet friends. I was able to meet 65GT, 2air, Buttercup, Myboyburt, Jbond, InsideOut and many others.

I am currently planning on attending Bozeman and will make the VAC parade there. Working stiffs can make these events, but it means using vacation days and not just weekend. I for one think that it is worth it.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #27
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Wbcci

What am I doing for the WBCCI?
Not one D____ Thing.
They thru me out after two years for not having an Airstream. Well I loved my Non Airstream and it is much better than my Real Airstream.
I go too run's with WBCCI club's that camp and have fun & forum rallies like Beverly Beach. Not WBCCI rallies were Kid's and young people are looked down on if allowed at all. Yes I'm 61 and will only see 65, but I like young people and there kids, after all they are the future.
Why should I fix there broken club. I don't need it, it need's MEMBERS!!!!
Airstream DOES NOT support WBCCI because it is draging Airstream down.
If you have time too beat your head against the wall, be my quest, but I'm going camping for the few years I have left.

Don
Old 07-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #28
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
If you don't care why are you posting in this thread?

I was looking for people to help not hinder.

Enjoy!

Closed Thread