Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Live Streaming of 2016 IBT in Farmington, NM

The Wally Byam Caravan Club International is providing its members with an opportunity to listen live (by streaming audio) to the IBT Seminar, Meetings and Delegates Meeting.

The IBT Seminar and Meeting will be broadcast beginning at 8:00 a.m. MDT, Thursday June 25, 2015. The session usually breaks for lunch from 12 noon to 1 p.m. Please note: that unlike previous years the Seminar and Meeting are on the same day.

The Delegates Seminar/Meeting will be held Tuesday, June 30, 2015 beginning 8:30 a.m. MDT.

July 5, 2015, The Executive Board will meet on Sunday beginning at 8:45 a.m. MDT to be followed immediately by the IBT seminar and meeting. There will be a break for lunch from approximately 12 noon to 1 p.m.

Audio for the meetings will be streamed live. A windows Streaming Server is being used.
Anyone who wants to listen to the meetings can use Windows Media Player or VLC on a Mac. The audio URL is http://WBCCI.primcast.com/WBCCI

The audio will begin approximately 10 minutes before the meeting begins. The microphone will be closed during recess and music will be played during this period.

An archive of each of the meetings will be made and posted on the WBCCI Web Site as soon as possible after each of the meetings.
Please note the timezone of the meeting, all times stated are for MDT, the timezone for Farmington, NM.
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Can someone change the topic to 2015 and not 2016!!!

Thanks
Damon
Old 06-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Why is the IBT bringing up the name change again.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Why is the IBT bringing up the name change again.
IBT isn't bringing it up. Someone in the club filed a motion, which IBT was obligated to address according to the constitution and bylaws of the organization.

The motion passed. And for the record, it's not a name change. It's an additional name that the club will be legally allowed to use for promotional purposes. The official name of the club will remain Wally Byam Caravan Club International, Inc. All legal documents drawn up by or for the organization will still use that name.

Potential new members might have no clue who Wally Byam was. They don't want to buy an Airstream because Wally Byam founded Airstream, they want to buy an Airstream because it's cool, because it's classy, because it's iconic. Many of them couldn't give a rip who Wally Byam was, and have no interest in joining a club named after him even if the club could benefit them.

Campground and fairground owners might not know who Wally Byam was, either. Saying, "I represent WBCCI and I would like to host a rally here," doesn't mean much to them.

But everyone knows what an Airstream is. Having a second official name for the club— a name that includes the word "Airstream"— allows rally and caravan organizers, folks recruiting new members, and present members talking to their non-member friends to say "I'm with the Airstream RV Owner's Association" and now everyone understands right away.

It's a good thing.

And TAC members need not worry. "The Airstream Club" was not in consideration for the new second name of WBCCI.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
TAC does not stand for "The Airstream Club"
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
TAC does not stand for "The Airstream Club"
You're quite right. It's "The Airstreamers Club."

But my point was that WBCCI will not use "The Airstream Club" as the new name so the TAC acronym still belongs to The Airstreamers Club.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Although I'm not really in the "in" crowd of the WBCCI, I can't ever recall anyone telling me they were a member of the "Wally Byam Caravan Club International". It has always been the "WBCCI" or "Wally Byam Caravan Club".

Thus if this takes hold, the AKA name will be commonly spoken as the "Airstream Club". Nobody is going to say I'm a member of "Airstream Club International" or "ACI"!

Folks are going to walk in the office of the next prospective rally site and say "Hi, I'm in the Airstream Club". But now it will be a little more correct.

Truthfully, I won't be surprised if Airstream Inc. rejects the request all together. They have the duty to protect their name. The have no reason to release any control of it.

www.campnova.com

Old 06-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Truthfully, I won't be surprised if Airstream Inc. rejects the request all together. They have the duty to protect their name. The have no reason to release any control of it.
The Airstream company rep who was there (Justin Humphreys) said— and I quote— "Go for it." It improves their brand recognition, the same way that an Airstream dealer might officially be named— for example— "Foley RV Center" and have a second name "Airstream of Mississippi" for brand recognition.

I hope Rick Foley won't object to me using his dealership as an example but that's the dealership I bought my Airstream from, so I knew that they have that dual naming.

WBCCI does actually have to obtain written permission to use the registered trademark in the club's second name, so it's not a foregone conclusion. Not to rag on WBCCI's or Airstream's attorneys, but there is no situation so simple that an attorney can't make it more complicated. But I don't think Airstream, Inc. will see use of their trademark by WBCCI as detrimental to the trademark.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
At Protagonist has already said, it's not a name change but the addition of two names, so we can simply tell people we are with the Airstream club. It's just making it more official. Airstream knew about this well in advance too.

While we all love Wally Byam, 99.99% of the world has no idea who he was, but most people know what a Airstream is.

Damon
Old 06-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
When discussing WBCCI or starting a conversation, why not say, "...WBCCI, the Airstream trailer club..."? I do that by default because non-WBCCI members have no clue what WBCCI is.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Audio from the June 25, 2015 meetings are now available on wbcci.org. Sorry about the poor quality of the audio.

http://wbcci.org/club-information/ib...gs-summer-2015

Damon
Old 06-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
A couple of comments on this topic.

First, Airstream, Inc. has exhibited a lot of variation over the years regarding the use of the Airstream name. Several years ago they were quite protective of it--for example, this forum used to be the Airstream Forums. In recent years they seem to have relaxed somewhat.

Second, note that the IBT action is to introduce a motion to next year's Delegates meeting to make the change to the WBCCI constitution. This requires a 2/3 affirmative vote of the units which is quite a high bar. The name change motions of the last decade, directly or indirectly, resulted in recriminations whizzing, high ranking members being expelled and suspended, and at least one lawsuit. Neither came anywhere near the necessary majority for passage.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I am predicting that attendance at the 2016 international will be the highest in the past 10 years. It's a great location, and sounds like they have bang up plans for activities beyond the normal ones provided. I heard they might have a pole dance competition.

Heck, I'm planning on going! I'm sure everyone wants to see me! I look forward to having the opportunity to swim through another class V rapid.

I'll go to the meeting and vote, but I suspect the resolution won't be on the ballot.

www.campnova.com

Old 06-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
I am predicting that attendance at the 2016 international will be the highest in the past 10 years. It's a great location...
I agree. We're planning on going to both Lewisburg, WV in '16 and Escanaba, MI in '17. It'll be our first two back-to-back Internationals in a long time.

Quote:
I heard they might have a pole dance competition.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
How many attended

How many rigs attended the 2015 International?
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
How many rigs attended the 2015 International?
Quote:
There are 396 rigs on the grounds and 13 off-site members as of June 28.
Source: DAILY LOCATOR REPORT | 2015 International Rally at Farmington NM

The past tense--"attended"--may not be appropriate since the rally runs thru July 4. So more may show up.