Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Lipstick on a pig... WBCCI Missing the mark.

In the latest round of WBCCI blunders, it looks like the Blue Beret will be published online... Big Deal you say??? Well, yes! Here is what happened. Some Web Design Firm called Richardson Media & Publishing LLC. is publishing the Blue Beret on online using the totally free service ISSUU (we have used this service to publish all sorts of publication work we have been involved with). Their name is plastered at the bottom of the web page - where have we seen THAT before?

The point being that I am guessing that WBCCI is paying Richardson a hefty $$$ to buy a domain name and put together a page using free online services just to publish a document that nobody will care one iota about - the Blue Beret. Total expendse to Richardson - less than $150 per year., Cost to WBCCI??? $15,000????

This is a joke - if this is the new marketing $$$$ the leadership of WBCCI agreed to spend, they are getting savagely ripped off by Richardson.
ISSUU is a free service that WBCCI could have set up for free (ok that is redundant).
President Tom Collier sells this a s a member benefit to the Florida State Rally - but this "out of the box" thinking actually cost the club money....

In our business, we have used this free service to provide publications to prospective clients - free... The operative word here is FREE - no design services needed to put it together.
This, like WBCCI's forums, misses the mark and could have been done with NO EXPENSE for the club and its members. But rest assured - you are paying for this.

Ask Tom this question, how much did you pay for this service???? Hosted off "The Planet" via virtualtoolset.com (This is the same service the WBCCI Forums Administrator said was hosted off the cost of Africa". We are talking bargain basement hosting here! The goal - trying to get Members to get the BB online for free without receiving a paper copy. The members will see no reduction in their dues but WBCCI will see the savings (beyond what they are paying to have this hosted for them).

This is another case of WBCCI lipstick on a pig - like WBCCI's other web forays - somebody is making money but WBCCI will see no benefit. They, like the membership will just write a check for an idea that has not been researched, for a design that denies the WBCCI identity....

BTW - in case you are wondering about Richardson Media's many awards - they are all from the Texas Chamber of Commerce. Getting an award from a chamber of commerce is like taking candy from a baby. This is not much more than seeing a web site promote another (where have we seen that before).

WBCCI members - enjoy seeing your membership dollars at work.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Blue Beret On-Line

I don't see anything of what you are speaking. I have been checking the on-line version of the Blue Beret since they started posting it. Just where exactly is this name being "plastered"?

BTW, Great job on getting the magazine on-line. This is a huge improvement for the club, in my view. I can see it developing as each issue comes on and I am sure it will be evolving. In surveys of the club members a couple years ago, this was one of the requests.

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Pam,
I think you are looking at the .PDF that has been on wbcci.org for several months, and I agree it is great.
The IP announced a new site at FL. State with flip pages, no download ability and has print too small to read in full screen on a netbook. If there was zoom capability I could not find it.

The link to the new site is http://www.blueberetonline.com/
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I reviewed the blueberetonline.com website using FireFox, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer on a 10X16 display and found it difficult to operate with all browsers. The zoom feature makes it difficult to follow along.

The whole concept of trying to make a web document look like a printed magazine is poor. The flip pages get in the way and it takes longer to find what you want to read. If you want to bring communications into the 21st century you need to make the complete shift to having the magazine turn into a continuous web page with operating links and sidebar menu to allow the reader easy access to continuous articles and page access to particular subject matter.

Magazines have their format to maximize their use of the printed pages available. The web has none of these restrictions. You do not need to make a web document difficult to use by using a presentation program that tries to duplicate the antiquated past.

I have already written an E-mail directly to Fred about my findings. I encourage other members to do the same. I am not going to publish his e-mail address here, but you can easily find it in your 2009 International Directory. They forgot to put it in the 2010 edition.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I did find you can zoom it by clicking the middle of the page.
Still have not found a way to save it.
I really think the ..PDF file is a better way to go.
I sent a note in via the contact link at wbcci.org..
Who is Fred? Can you identify him by trailer # if you don't want to post the address?
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Thank you

I have been going to WBCCI.org and under the General Information is the Blue Beret. It was pretty easy to work and was a huge improvement.

Thank you for the new format link. I was able to zoom in and read it. It is a bit awkward. It's the same as my online catalogs that are duplicates of their print catalogs.

The NEU is in the middle of experimenting with putting our newsletter on line for members. We found out very quickly that the format needed to be completely different from print, so our webmaster has taken the components and interpreted them for the website.

As the NEU editor I have been putting together the usual print format in MS Publisher. I then make a pdf that can be posted or emailed. Now that won't work, so the new web based newsletter is being developed. This old dog will have to learn new tricks it seems.

It all takes time.

I would like to see your comments sent to the publications chairperson at WBCCI. They may not understand the differences and what other options they have.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I just opened it here at the office. The tool bar is right at the top to go full screen and change the page layout to your preference. Richardson Media's name is at the bottom of the page until you zoom in and actually start to read the publication. I thought it was easy to use and a big step in the right direction.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Step in the right direction? - That would have been to host that document online at WBCCI - not spending more $$$ to buy a domain name, have some "firm" charge more $$$ to put up a simple header graphic and link to a free page flipping repository. This is something that could have and should have been kept entirely in house, on the cheap.
Each time we have to pay some outside firm to handle these needs, we get more expense.
Just as a side note - we put the VAC's newsletter online for the members to read and there is a free version for non-registered users. VAC Pubs. The cost to the VAC was maybe $50 for the ability to do that. WBCCI could have done the same...
How much did this cost the club to repost what is already free? Why get a domain name, hosting and why have to pay somebody to update this monthly? Why??? It is a waste of $$$.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 02-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
How many of you folks that are NOT going to renew your membership next year because of the lack of financel responsibility by the IBT that brought on the dues increase have sent a Email to the WBCCI office telling them you are not going to renew next year?
I have and so should you.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:03 AM   #10
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
How many of you folks that are NOT going to renew your membership next year because of the lack of financel responsibility by the IBT that brought on the dues increase have sent a Email to the WBCCI office telling them you are not going to renew next year?
I have and so should you.
Absolutely, I have renewed and will continue to do so.

Quitting is an absurd concept for me. I would rather work the issues and push for change in a constructive way.

I am not taking my ball and going home.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #11
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Good volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Step in the right direction? - That would have been to host that document online at WBCCI - not spending more $$$ to buy a domain name, have some "firm" charge more $$$ to put up a simple header graphic and link to a free page flipping repository. This is something that could have and should have been kept entirely in house, on the cheap.
Each time we have to pay some outside firm to handle these needs, we get more expense.
Just as a side note - we put the VAC's newsletter online for the members to read and there is a free version for non-registered users. VAC Pubs. The cost to the VAC was maybe $50 for the ability to do that. WBCCI could have done the same...
How much did this cost the club to repost what is already free? Why get a domain name, hosting and why have to pay somebody to update this monthly? Why??? It is a waste of $$$.
You have a lot of knowledge. You'd make a great volunteer for this effort. Have you considered offering? This is just the kind of in-house knowledge that is needed.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 AM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Pam,
Do you not know Tim? You must not, because he has volunteered thousands of hours to the club. He is the guy responsible for the vac website and his wife is editor and publisher of the Vintage Advantage. You might want to ask some of the guys at the top to volunteer their services instead of being compensated for their efforts.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
We all have the right to leave or stay.I have joined more clubs.The wbcci, is still working to make the club better not matter how much money they waste on spending.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
You have a lot of knowledge. You'd make a great volunteer for this effort. Have you considered offering? This is just the kind of in-house knowledge that is needed.
Pam, Thanks for the vote of confidence. However, I have already been through the WBCCI wringer in the volunteer department. There is an entire history there that you are likely unaware of but which involves WBCCI club forums, its administrators and managers, several grievances, attempts to shutdown my web site(s), intentional blocking, etc... I have even had a non-wbcci member tell me he would join the club if I did a web site for WBCCI (he wont join any other way I guess).
I have no intention of going through that again. Nope - All the positive thoughts about the club do not change the fact that the direction is wrong and therefore, not in the best interest of the club.
I am quite content however to continue to provide for the VAC all the assistance they need in their web needs.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1966 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
From Parts Unknown , Unknown
I have to say that the Tin Can Tourists, established in 1919, is now and has been Politics FREE, since I joined in 2002. ANY trailer model is welcome (but is mostly airstreamers) any year is welcome, any one with a pulse is welcome, and always has been. Its been the best experience for us for years. I hope others will explore this option as one among many good ones. 90 years old this weekend!

See ya down the road-
1956 Spartan Imperial Mansion
TCT Since 2002, 8728,
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
In the latest round of WBCCI blunders, it looks like the Blue Beret will be published online... Big Deal you say??? Well, yes! Here is what happened. Some Web Design Firm called Richardson Media & Publishing LLC. is publishing the Blue Beret on online using the totally free service ISSUU (we have used this service to publish all sorts of publication work we have been involved with). Their name is plastered at the bottom of the web page - where have we seen THAT before?

The point being that I am guessing that WBCCI is paying Richardson a hefty $$$ to buy a domain name and put together a page using free online services just to publish a document that nobody will care one iota about - the Blue Beret. Total expendse to Richardson - less than $150 per year., Cost to WBCCI??? $15,000????

This is a joke - if this is the new marketing $$$$ the leadership of WBCCI agreed to spend, they are getting savagely ripped off by Richardson.
ISSUU is a free service that WBCCI could have set up for free (ok that is redundant).
President Tom Collier sells this a s a member benefit to the Florida State Rally - but this "out of the box" thinking actually cost the club money....

In our business, we have used this free service to provide publications to prospective clients - free... The operative word here is FREE - no design services needed to put it together.
This, like WBCCI's forums, misses the mark and could have been done with NO EXPENSE for the club and its members. But rest assured - you are paying for this.

Ask Tom this question, how much did you pay for this service???? Hosted off "The Planet" via virtualtoolset.com (This is the same service the WBCCI Forums Administrator said was hosted off the cost of Africa". We are talking bargain basement hosting here! The goal - trying to get Members to get the BB online for free without receiving a paper copy. The members will see no reduction in their dues but WBCCI will see the savings (beyond what they are paying to have this hosted for them).

This is another case of WBCCI lipstick on a pig - like WBCCI's other web forays - somebody is making money but WBCCI will see no benefit. They, like the membership will just write a check for an idea that has not been researched, for a design that denies the WBCCI identity....

BTW - in case you are wondering about Richardson Media's many awards - they are all from the Texas Chamber of Commerce. Getting an award from a chamber of commerce is like taking candy from a baby. This is not much more than seeing a web site promote another (where have we seen that before).

WBCCI members - enjoy seeing your membership dollars at work.
OK, so they are dolts.
However - they are trying (I know you're saying "very trying" under your breath.)

I'm ready to put the black tape across my WBCCI numbers - but gawd I'll miss the fun at the rare WDCU rallies I'm able to attend! I share with you the frustration of seeing the IBT piss away the club's money and defame or ignore any "younger" member who wants to make changes to the status quo.

On the other hand, they are at least making a fumbling, inept TRY with this one thing. I own a business and If you knew how many times we'd paid too much for "emerging technology" that went to dead end technology within 18 months, you'd cry. People make mistakes.

I'm not EXCUSING the IBT - they are high-handed, they talk only to God (but rarely appear to listen to him) and they don't even pretend to be cutting edge - but all volunteer leaders find that in the minds of their organizations they rarely if ever do anything right. It's like being the principal of a high school - no one likes you, everyone thinks you're the north end of a south bound horse, and everyone thinks you're a dolt, but it is your thankless job to be the point man.

These guys need to be gently dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century; but why clobber them for the first vaguely correct thing they've attempted? Make your point with civility and with the helpful idea of decreasing the terrible deficit - and find a way to make every member of WBCCI aware of how that deficit happened and how the Cost Flaw in this idea is going to contribute to rather than reduce the deficit. Your points are all well taken. I understand that you're fed up and beyond. I also think it would be more productive to lead the masses to your point of view of "Let the Sun Shine In on the IBT Court of the Star Chamber".

Flaming vs. Fixing!

with sincere respect, Paula Ford
Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Not many ways he can offer help when he's been blocked from the club's official website. And I recall that he offered to help back when that website was set up but was roundly rejected.

As for "trying", do you get credit for trying when you put diesel into your gas tank when you've run out of gas? Or does a scout get credit for trying when he leads his party deeper into the woods once he knows he's lost? Is it really "trying" when you randomly make one guess after another without doing the work of research?

Sorry. But the benefit of the doubt gets used up after awhile.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
)
I'm ready to put the black tape across my WBCCI numbers - but gawd I'll miss the fun at the rare WDCU rallies I'm able to attend!
Paula... miss what? Several hundred fun people including many of the "funest" WDCU'ers will be bashing in Central NY this June... all with out any need to send $65 to the IBT. Many more events will be planned. No need to miss the fun, even without the BIG RED NUMBERS.

BTW, have you gotten your TAC number yet? I'm WI-1... wave when you see us headed down the road.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Not many ways he can offer help when he's been blocked from the club's official website. And I recall that he offered to help back when that website was set up but was roundly rejected.

As for "trying", do you get credit for trying when you put diesel into your gas tank when you've run out of gas? Or does a scout get credit for trying when he leads his party deeper into the woods once he knows he's lost? Is it really "trying" when you randomly make one guess after another without doing the work of research?

Pat
Pat - yes and no - I was a volunteer but after a time, I was not kept in the loop as to what was going on. Once I was informed enough about what was going on I decided to leave, however in round about ways I was invited back by the committee chair. My opposition to the way things were done were specific because they took the control and oversight away from WBCCI and put it in the hasnds of a 3rd party commercial vendor who stands to profit from the exposure WBCCI offers this individual. But, yes, because of that opposition, I was very intentionally excluded from properly accessing the forums.
Now, about the latest folly - WBCCI has had the opportunity to take control of ALL of its web assets - site, forums - everything under its control on its server and, using a team of WBCCI volunteers could manage all of those assets itself at a dramatic cost savings and have all of it overseen by committee.
But, what has just been done? Some design company (wanna bet that it is a friend of a WBCCI member or a WBCCI member) has gone out, bought a domain name which denies the Wally Byam name (when was the last time that happened), and is hosting the Blue Beret online using a free service Issuu. The site hosting is likely NOT under the control of WBCCI but rather WBCCI is dependent on this provider to maintain the site. It is a fragmented effort like the forums in that they are apart from the WBCCI umbrella. And best of all, unless this was another "free" donation (remember, nothing is ever really free, is it) it likely cost the club over $1000.
So, which part is it a good idea? When will WBCCI really wake up and do what is in the best interest of the club? I don't know... I just know it is wrong.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post

Pat
You are right... you've been in the trenches, I've been pretty much on the sidelines dancing with sailors at the USO for my contribution. Big difference in experience. I'd just like to see us all get along... but it's probably unrealistic. If we can get TAC to 500 members that would be the kind of "gentle pursuasion" that would make the IBT see reality.

Old story - a man was having a terrible time trying to get his mule to behave well. The mule was being well, mulish. An old friend with many years experience walked up and said, "Son, let me show you how to encourage your mule, you have to use gentleness, kindness and careful pursuasion." The young man stepped back and handed the reins to the older man who took them firmly, walked up to the mule and hit it squarely in the forehead so hard that the mule's legs buckled. Then he kindly, gently and pursuasively said, "Now, come along there mule." And the mule obeyed. The younger man was aghast. He said, "I thought you said you were going to use gentle pursuasion!" The older man replied, "Well I did say that, and was gentle... but FIRST you have to get their ATTENTION."

Paula