Old 12-20-2005, 10:38 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Bloomfield , Missouri
Reasons I have not joined the WBCCI

In order for the members of WBCCI to have more input from nonmembers I offer the reasons why I have never joined the WBCCI.

1. My wife and I deal with the public 24/7 in my profession. When we're in our Airstream we are escaping from our normal lifestyle.

2. A Pasture full of Airstream Trailers and a Campfire in the middle is not our idea of a Great Getaway on Any Weekend of the Year! A remote spot by a clear stream away from everybody and everything is!

3. I get all the info and ideas about how to keep my Airstream going right here on this board. The WBCCI Forums is miniscule compared to this one.

4. I have problems with anybody outside of the U.S. Military or a Marching Band who wears a beret as part of a group identity.

5. I don't want big red numbers anywhere on my Airstream anytime. And as soon as I get these old ones polished off the better.

6. There are no tangible benefits that I can find in WBCCI's info that justify the high membership cost. Good Sam Club is a better buy.

7. Younger folks by the droves are staying away from memberships in all organizations. Any organization that does not recognize that fact and change is doomed for extinction. (lest you think I'm a young person - I'm 60)

Old 12-20-2005, 11:10 AM   #30
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
GT6921 is right – enough IS enough. But I have to say that getting kicked for not having a long enough history with WBCCI doesn’t mean that I can’t see that there are documented problems in the group and that the actions taken by the IBT are questionable.

smily - thank you for yet a third whack at my lack of longevity in WBCCI. And nice of you to infer that as a member somehow NOT really in good standing, based on the lack of longevity, that I can have no valid opinion on the subject – the essence of WBCCI attitude.

I get a feeling from your posting that you approve of the name change. In fact it sounds like you are perhaps involved in the change and have some vested interests to protect here.

GT6921 is also correct in point out as have others on other threads here that there will be at least, possibly 2, amendment changes that will need to be made to get this implemented. These are facts that have not been discussed in the BB – which indicates to me that the planning of this had been poorly executed.

Smily, despite the fact that you discredit my wife and I as a members of WBCCI, I will still advocate against this change because I know by professional experience that it will not work as the IBC hopes. And in no way are you and us alike. I care little about your forum stats because you use them as a badge to show that you are more experienced and therefore better than I. Just as you doing with your 5 years in WBCCI.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #31
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
mtjim,
just wanted to say, I felt exactly the same as you, when I first bought my camper. I agree with every single one of your points. Then I went to a couple of rallies, just to "check it out"....turns out, my local unit is one of the "fun" ones. Camping has become a completely social activity. Go figure.

take a look a the photos in my album. look at where I park my trailer. I have yet to camp in a spot that is as remote or as far away from "the next guy" as my own house. That's why I bought this house. Its my "getaway". And I have the same fantasy of the remote spot along side a flowing stream, but realistically, that doesn't exist in this part of the country. If you find such a spot, and park your rig there, the local constabulary will be shoe-ing you along quicker than you can say "Wally Byam".

anyway, the pasture full of airstreams with a campfire in the middle is alot more appealing when you consider that there's usually a frozen marguarita machine or mudslide maker working nearby. And the company is, well...lets just say, its not your typical "trailer" crowd.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #32

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjim
2. A Pasture full of Airstream Trailers and a Campfire in the middle is not our idea of a Great Getaway on Any Weekend of the Year! A remote spot by a clear stream away from everybody and everything is!
The WBCCI wouldn't have some of the problems they do if that's what rallys were like now! However, that's what forum rallys are like, and as anyone who made it to Trout Lake last year can testify, those can be the best weekend getaways of all!

However, if your idea of a good time is finding a secluded place away from everyone, then I'd say save your money, because the whole point of the WBCCI was to bring people together, and if you're not into that, then it's probably not something you'll enjoy.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
In order for the members of WBCCI to have more input from nonmembers I offer the reasons why I have never joined the WBCCI.
Which is an excellent point - where is the effort made in WBCCI to find out why people like "empty Jim" - sorry that was just a play on your name "mtjim" no harm meant.

Quote:
1. My wife and I deal with the public 24/7 in my profession. When we're in our Airstream we are escaping from our normal lifestyle.
Fortunately we are lucky we can just park our Airstream on our Driveway and get what mtjim and his wife long for at the end of the day.

[QUOTE=mtjim]2. A Pasture full of Airstream Trailers and a Campfire in the middle is not our idea of a Great Getaway on Any Weekend of the Year! A remote spot by a clear stream away from everybody and everything is!QUOTE]

Which is another excellent point - working people have different needs - I agree - a sea of 70 trailers does not do it for me EVERYWEEKEND. That is why we try to attend only a couple a year - just to stay involved in the club we are forking out $90 CND for.

Quote:
3. I get all the info and ideas about how to keep my Airstream going right here on this board. The WBCCI Forums is miniscule compared to this one.
Huge one here - why is this forum so much better than the Airstream Site Forum? Why do we not go to that forum -cause we are all here there

Quote:
4. I have problems with anybody outside of the U.S. Military or a Marching Band who wears a beret as part of a group identity.
This is age old - in the 30's 50's everyone wore suit and ties and everyone was prime and proper until the 60's our world started to change. Along with it the "dress code" Times are changing but some just like to hang onto the past longer than others - and until the policies change then the hats, ties/scarfs and white shirts will be enforced - because not to enforce would be a farce of the policy.

Why just take a look at your own President and our Prime Minister - I can not remember the last time I saw them in a suit and tie - Why - because the Leaders are dressing for success - they are dressing to their membership. But when there is a time and place for appropriate dress it is exorcised.

Quote:
5. I don't want big red numbers anywhere on my Airstream anytime. And as soon as I get these old ones polished off the better.
A virgin skin - I like it - and it will be hard to stick anything to our two once they are nice and shinny - but we also like what the big red numbers stand for and for some we are proud of those "Big Red" numbers - Sort of like the sports star who has to have the same jersey number.

Quote:
6. There are no tangible benefits that I can find in WBCCI's info that justify the high membership cost. Good Sam Club is a better buy.
Well we had our first tangiable the first year we joined. We saved at least $75 in camping fees along the road - and the money saved through courtesy parking - (yes I know forum members offer it now too without having to join WBCCI) And we saved over $300 in park fees last winters trip. (mind you it was not at a state park in a quiet spot by a river - but then those spots are really hard to find. (We did get a trench with a resident Crock in it)

Quote:
7. Younger folks by the droves are staying away from memberships in all organizations. Any organization that does not recognize that fact and change is doomed for extinction. (lest you think I'm a young person - I'm 60)
Why is that? - too expensive?, not interested, or they want their cake and eat it too - if it is not my way it is the highway - rules rules rules don't want them prefer mayhem.....But it might be a good task to find out why they are not joining - or better still why they are not renewing their membership.

No one is forcing anyone to join a club and never should - if there is not any percieved value for someone to join then leave them alone. If this club can make itself more attractive - then work on it from within.

This "forum" is not about members and non-members of the WBCCI - this forum is about people all over the world who "Own Airstreams" as well as those people who have an interest in the "Airstream"
Old 12-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
So unless we have all missed something here - the real amendment has yet to come - and that my friends is where we take the stand. Those with small Units your job is easy - those with over 200 members - we have our work cut out for us.
I think this is the key point of this whole discussion. If you don't want the name change, get involved with your unit and make sure when it comes time to vote that you lobby to hold out for a better option than AOA. It doesn't matter if you have been in it for a day or 40 years, you have a right to vote and to speak your piece and be heard.

I still think there are better options that don't erase all the old history. For one thing I wish at least they had kept the word 'club' in the title. Turning it into an 'Association' is about as inviting as a tax audit! It's supposed to be a camping club!

Changing the name to AOA isn't a done deal, despite people's admonitions to 'get over it' and 'get used to it'.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It's NOT a done deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Changing the name to AOA isn't a done deal...
Correct. AOA is not necessarily THE new name, it is the first name being put out for a vote. However, a new name with "Airstream" in it will be forthcoming based on the delegate's vote at International 2005.

Like Steph said, if you want to have a say in what it is changed to, now is the time to get involved at your local level. I for one, will probably vote AOA down in favor of something more like "Wally Byam's Airstream Club" which still ties in with the roots of the original name.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:12 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Correct. .... However, a new name with "Airstream" in it will be forthcoming based on the delegate's vote at International 2005.

Like Steph said, if you want to have a say in what it is changed to, now is the time to get involved at your local level.......
Shari
Hey what am I chopped liver
na I get it - we just live "up there"
Old 12-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hey what am I chopped liver
Sorry for the oversight Sharon

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #38
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
The term "rage" comes to mind. Relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
smily -
I get a feeling from your posting that you approve of the name change. In fact it sounds like you are perhaps involved in the change and have some vested interests to protect here.
Indeed I do. Of course I approve of the name change. And I do have a vested interest, I will be here in the club till the very end and I hope that a name change (regardless of what it is, it needs to include "Airstream" in the name) is a small step in the right direction.
I never had and do not have intentions of abandoning heritage and history. Hell, I spent the 100 dollars on the new book. I even watch the movies over and over again.

My position is very clear and not to be confused for a feeling, change the name.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
oopss pushed the button before I was finished.

So From the january meeting "The Task Force - Committe" will be presenting their suggestions to the IBT in January - of which the IBT will then vote or more like approve the actual amendment to be distributed to its members via the proper channels.

Thus we will be receiving official notification from our HQ directly to the Unit President.

Thanks for clearing this up - anyone??????

So why does everyone here have their nickers in a twist - when the VOTE has not even be given to the MEMBERS YET????

Now I can address my letter the Unit President - and bring forth how important this change is to the members to make sure they DO NOT miss it.

Like some have said yeah or ney that is everyones own opinion - but if you paid your dues you have a right to cast your vote.

So put your vote in writing - better still exercise "Roberts Rule" at your meeting and submit a motion for a counted vote on the amendment. Then there will be NO mistakes as to what % of members are being represented.

The survey indicates 13.4% as a good response as far as "Surveys" that is correct as the magic number is 11% anything less is equated to a failed survey.

Tally up all you WBCCI members - if you are on the road then there is always e-mail and snail mail to cast your vote at the Unit level.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:28 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Wow what is going on everyone off for the day - all done Christmas shopping or all stuck in the house cause of a snow storm - latter is me...

Shari - pulling your leg but I really did push the button by mistake...

I sent an e-mail to my president on the "romours" here that the vote was a done deal and all sorts of crap - to ask if he had heard anything or received anything last your or this on an official name change to be voted on.

NOPE not yet - but there is discussion via the task committee "I hardly doubt the WBCCI will be dropped more likely "Airstream" will be included.

My first post to all this was totally in agreement to add the word Airstream - not to fix problems - but to better position the "Clubs" identity for the future.

Face it folks you don't buy a and Airstream because of the WBCCI - You buy and Airstream and then you find out about the WBCCI

But if the product and the user need to work with one another then we have to have both together - that is just plane logic.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #41
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I look forward to our first forum rally. And I have to put in a plug for our unit - the SNU. We have been to only one rally (hard to get out when we are taking care of our 89 year old mother). No officers flags, no blue berets – but a few pink flamingo’s. The SNU has their act together and they do seem to get it.

Take a look at the web site and look at the history of this group. Member participation going up. Membership going up. All in defiance of the trend the WBCCI is showing despite the jump in sales of new AS’s.

February we'll be celebrating the SNU’s 30th anniversary. We are looking forward to sharing that experience with our fellow members. And for sure this topic will be discussed.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:25 PM   #42
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Buttercup....I sent you a PM with some "offline thoughts".

As for my online thoughts, I will say good for you. Your info is correct and though you made a great effort, the stale group that runs the show will NOT bend to anyone except it's inner circle of membership.

That being said, your non-renewal is your best response. I did the same thing 2 years ago after our "free" year ran out. Don't get me wrong, there are some great units out there, but the basic system is broken, has been broken and will continue to be broken as long as the mentality of the powers that be do as they have done in the past and as you are seeing them do right now. Why would anyone want to spend whatever free time they have to fix a club that doens't even listen to the majority of the members (case in point-- how the whole survey was handled).

If the club is still working for folks, great, I'm happy for ya, but it isn't the same in every neck of the woods, nor at the top of the ladder.

It will be interesting to see how well "the club" will survive the next 5 years. Airstream makes a few thousand units a year, of those numbers from what I've read, "the club" isn't able to add or retain any significant units from the new ones rolling into consumer's hands. Add to the fact folks like you and I have not renewed and will not renew is only going to add to the problems. There has been even talk of taking away the International Rally that is done every year.

My best estimate is that we see splintered units doing a great job outside the main arena as the membership continues to dwindle due to natural causes and unhappy members and ex-members. It matters not how long you've been around, it matters only that you have sense to get off a sinking ship that doesn't want to pump out the water from the hull. To me it seems like throwing good money after bad, but again, that is just my opinion.

Should the name change? At this point, I don't really care. To me it's like renaming the Titanic. Changes nothing.