Old 12-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think some of this is more than the issue of name change

Majority should rule. I doubt it is the majority of all club members rather than the majority of responding club members/officers sampled/voted.)

It isn't about embarrassment of explaining to your friends who Wally is (because you must have brought yourself into that one instead of saying an Airstream function to begin with. If someone mentions someone's work it normally suffices to leave it at that, without giving all particulars, so the easy remedy is to fashion your statements to whom you are speaking.) It isn't about berets, it isn't about a lot of things, but it is about structure. And non-members and new members can in no way affect changes in the existing procedure regardless of the general call. And many retired members don't even have to be considered in the equation because they are silent members.

I think that is where the frustration lies. The representation.

I didn't think I was joining a product club, I thought I was joining the WBCCI who all happen to have Airstreams.

[

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:01 PM   #16
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Why should the club turn their back on him completely?
They should not. However, there is a way to honor Wally and the Caravans he promoted. For the folks who have the time and resources to go on Caravans, we could have an Intraclub (just like VAC) called The Wally Byam Caravan Club Inernational. The name would live on in a special place within the Club that has a focused purpose and real meaning.

Let's face reality ... the club in general is not a Caravan Club ... and the current name does not reflect the composition of the club.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:13 PM   #17
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
the club in general is not a Caravan Club ... and the current name does not reflect the composition of the club.
True but the thing is - we all get it. We don't need a name to tell us what we are. We are Aitstreamers. And in the end how will a logo /name change change anything?

Can anybody say "Identity Crisis"?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:23 PM   #18
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
changed my mind.....

i was going to post and agree with a new idea, logo, tag line....

i changed my mind and will continue to lurk....but i agree, at best... outdated...at worst...costing the future of the club/group....no new members...no club....

ok...i will keep quiet...back to the shadows.....i know nothing of whence i type...

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:40 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Wowee! Holly smokes! Have you got a book I haven't read? You mean this self-serving buffoon started a company, outsold ALL of his direct competition (monocoque construction Al trailers), started the most famous trailer club ever in it's time, had people pay him HUGE dollars to follow him all over the world and history doesn't have it right? Wow -- fill me in -- this -- I gotta hear!!

__
Not a book; direct accounts. Late 40's, early 50's, trailer travel was'nt common or as easy as today, especially foreign travel. Better to go in groups. WB was good at organizing and pr. Gotta give him credit. People did buy Airstreams because of Wally. Going in groups made the adventure possible, but he was successful in spite of his personality. He was the ONLY GAME IN TOWN.
Somehow AS has continued in business through the years, under different ownerships although you can't rightly credit it to WB. Because of this long existence, and a dose of chauvinism, AS has achieved iconic status with a almost cult like following. It's a nice dream. That's why I bought another AS in spite of all the quality issues, but I'm not especiallly interested in buying into this worshipful "cult". The Club needs to keep Wally in proper historical perspective. Yes he deserves acknowlegement and respect for the part he played, but people are'nt going to join the club because of him anymore than their'e going to buy a Ford because of Henry.
The WBCCI name, and logo with W's image is amuzing . Sorry if youre offended. Thats my take.

By the way, my 06 has very few quality problems.

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:15 AM   #20
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Here is the scoop....

Here is the response Roy gave me to my request for more information: Thanks Roy - I will not be renewing as well...

The vote was by the delegates at the International Rally last summer in
Springfield, MO. The August (or September) 2005 Blue Beret contains the
wording and vote tallies.

At that meeting a motion was also made from the floor to have two potential names presented for the delegates to vote upon at the 2006 meeting. The delegates rejected that and instead instructed the Board of Trustees to submit one name to them for vote.

I refer to the survey conducted through the Airstream Forum in which viewers were encouraged to vote on the list of potential name I had published in the August Blue Beret (again, maybe it was the September issue). The survey ran for a month.

The advertising/PR people to whom I refer are club members. Both were
professionals, which I assume you are also. They are not employees or on
retainer - - just long time involved, concerned members who are also tired
of having to explain who Wally Byam was and that there is a lot more to our organization than caravaning.

No “formal” market analysis. The design samples have come from WBCCI
headquarters and they have a firm advising. The committee made the selection of the logo from several offerings as the one we believe best portrays our identity.

Approach a new Airstream owner and ask if they would like to join the Wally Byam Caravan Club. Tell a resort, restaurant or tourist facility that you want to make a reservation for the Wally Byam Caravan Club. Then spend the next 5 minutes explaining who Mr. Byam was and that you are really the Airstream Owners Association so they understand who/what you are talking about. Isn’t that “Name Recognition”? We have none.

Changing the name does not erase Wally Byam from our culture or heritage.

That will only happen if future members allow it.

R.B.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 12-20-2005, 01:08 AM   #21
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Here is our response to Roy...

Roy,

Please forward to all whom it may concern.

I invite you to fully read the opinions on the forums - the responses are quite different than the "5 to 1 in favor" ratio you describe.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...oll-19712.html

and

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ogo-19605.html.

There is no 5 to 1 ratio here at all. In fact quite the opposite. Many WBCCI members seem to have not known about this at all. What gives?

O.K. so as I thought - voting with minimal input from all the membrs, quickly pushed through without time to consider something as drastic as this, No marketing analysis or impact study of what a name change like this would cause, no objective advice from professionals who are well versed in current marketing strategy and dynamic of the current AS purchaser and who are not offering advice from a neutral standpoint, No professional design team to produce a logo/identity that meets the needs of the club as opposed to the needs of the upper echelon. And the justification for all of this is IBT's inability to deal with its own ineffectiveness to run an organization that can adapt to the new dynamic of the membership it are trying to attract.

Take as an example the Good Sam Club - Who is Sam? Does anybody really know? It doesn't matter - they have successfully marketed their identity so that it doesn't matter.

You give the impression that you are embarrassed by Wally Byam but you will ride around in a camper inspired by his vision. How hypocritical of you then to throw away his history and replace it with your own only because you cant come up with a strategy to promote it properly.

You (representing the board of trustees) might be better off to stop pretending to be an AS enthusiast because as far as I am concerned, you as an officer of MY organization, are doing nothing to represent the WBCCI, but are doing more to destroy it.

We are the target market (40 -45 years old) - we bough into Wally Byam and his vision hook, line and sinker. The identity and vision that he created are exactly what AS buyers today are trying to get back to. Simplicity, luxury and style with a modern twist.

We look to the past and identify with its "good life" look and feel. You look at the past and give the impression that you are ashamed of it because you don't understand its appeal to the modern AS owner. You look at the brochures from the past and think "outdated" - we look at the brochures from the past and think "I want a piece of that".

The name and logo aren't what is broken - it is the IBT's gross lack of knowing who the members are that is causing the decline in membership. You are trying to appeal to a membership base that you will not be able to service. Blue Berets and officer flags are not what the members you are trying to attract are into - they want to hit the road and see the world around them, socialize, camaraderie, have fun in a non-regimented atmosphere.

The road the IBT is taking is flat and denies the path that was carved before them and ignores the enthusiasts who are following behind.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #22
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup

There is no 5 to 1 ratio here at all. In fact quite the opposite. Many WBCCI members seem to have not known about this at all. What gives?
Actually, if the members were active in their units, they would know about the issue. It was presented on several occasions at our unit meetings. By the way, how are you getting all this input from "most" of the WBCCI members?
I dont recall sharing my thoughts on this with you......

Quote:
Take as an example the Good Sam Club - Who is Sam? Does anybody really know? It doesn't matter - they have successfully marketed their identity so that it doesn't matter.
Actually, Sam is "Samaritan" another case of evolution and demonstration of a name change by an RV club. That club was called the "The Good Samritans Club" for many years before it was shortened for ease of presentation.

Quote:
You give the impression that you are embarrassed by Wally Byam but you will ride around in a camper inspired by his vision. How hypocritical of you then to throw away his history and replace it with your own only because you cant come up with a strategy to promote it properly

Who is throwing it away? It is history, you cannot change what has already happened.....

Quote:
We are the target market (40 -45 years old) - we bough into Wally Byam and his vision hook, line and sinker. The identity and vision that he created are exactly what AS buyers today are trying to get back to. Simplicity, luxury and style with a modern twist

You nailed it "with a MODERN TWIST!"

Quote:
We look to the past and identify with its "good life" look and feel. You look at the past and give the impression that you are ashamed of it because you don't understand its appeal to the modern AS owner. You look at the brochures from the past and think "outdated" - we look at the brochures from the past and think "I want a piece of that.
Again, you speak as though you have been a member for many years and have been exposed to a majority of the WBCCI. Is this true? How long have you been involved and how many events have you participated in?
The IBT members are all elected or appointed in some manner but it is usually based on their resume, which details their professional background, WBCCI experience etc. I have reviewed many of these resumes and can say that I never seen any rookies or pepole that were not qualified to perform the role. These folks spends a lot of their time studying and sampling the membership both physically and by long distant communication.

Quote:
The name and logo aren't what is broken
Here is a little challenge, call Camping World, the world largest RV supplier, they have an 800 number it is a free call.
Call them and ask if they would like to sposor a WBCCI event. I think you will find that they do not know who the WBCCI is and you will have to explain that it is the Airstream club. (I have coordinated WBCCI events and sought sponsorship from many companies in the RV and camping business.) Simply put, NOBODY knows who the WBCCI is!
When you have completed the first phase of this challenge, call a different Camping World store and ask if they would like to sponsor the "Airstream Club" They will immediatly know that it is a club of Camping folks that prefer Airstream. I DOUBLE DARE YOU TO DO THIS.

I have been there done that and know what I am talking about. Have you been there?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
try explaining this?

Of all the reasons to change the name this is the thinnest argument. Somehow I would have hoped our leaders would have more gumption than to be stimied by explaining the name and thinking that was so much trouble that it will be somehow easier to change the name.

One doesn't want someone who takes the easy way or path of least resistence to have that kind of responsibility.

Are we sure AOAI still isn't too many letters for us? Or will we have to tell Camping World it's the Airstream club?

Maybe we should name the club something simpler, perhaps striving for a single sylable, so our headquarters can conduct their business easier.

Do you usually include the 50 year history in your calls to Camping World, won't it be longer now to explain Wally and Thor?

photography
Old 12-20-2005, 08:57 AM   #24
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
wheel interested
Quote:
One doesn't want someone who takes the easy way or path of least resistence to have that kind of responsibility.

Are we sure AOAI still isn't too many letters for us? Or will we have to tell Camping World it's the Airstream club?

Maybe we should name the club something simpler, perhaps striving for a single sylable, so our headquarters can conduct their business easier.
As a matter of fact, yes...There is an old saying KISS, "Keep it simple stupid". It seems to work real well.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:32 AM   #25
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
smily,

First of thank you for discounting my membership in WBCCI - twice! And for disqualifying my opinion on this topic because I have not been in the org long enough. That attitude is the base of the problems WBCCI is experiencing. Those who have been members for years and years are not hearing the ideas and suggestions of those of us who are new.

You don’t know me or anything about me and yet you assume that I am some newbie to AS. Well for your benefit let me describe myself and my wife. We are 2 professionals, well educated in our fields. My wife owns her own design firm. She has been in advertising for over 20 years. She, as one who has studied inspired design, has been an AS enthusiast since she first stepped in an Airstream when she was 7 years old. She says that it was a pivotal moment in her life, even at that age. She appreciates the Airstream for more than a quality trailer. To her there is an entire design history there that most look past. She waited for years to get her Airstream – and it was worth the wait.

I got bit by the bug when I met her and learned of her interests. Yes we bought our first AS a year ago. We did clean her up and continue to refurbish our trailer. We would have gotten a trailer a long time ago but never had the opportunity (money, etc…) until last year when a co worker said that he had a trailer for sale. For us (especially my wife) it was a dream come true. Our enthusiasm is great – look at our web site! We love it so much that we wanted to share our experience with others.

We have spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours working on our trailer to get it ready for the road. All documented on our site.

You commended me for writing the words “Simplicity, luxury and style with a modern twist”. Those are my wife’s words and they are heartfelt. We don’t have to be an Airstreamer for 20 years to know what is good. And we don’t need our experience being discounted because we don’t have a vast Airstream history.

I know all too well who Sam is – it is an example of successful marketing but I think you may have missed that point.

Yes, you didn’t share your thoughts with me (until now) and frankly I found the sharing you have done in this thread to be less than compassionate. However, the forums do have a lot of WBCCI members and they are speaking out here – and I am reading and sharing with them. You take the word “most” out of context in my posts. Read my posts instead of skimming over them and it will become clearer what I am saying.

Yes you can throw away history. The goal of WBCCI - IBT is to ignore WB and his contribution to the formation if this club in favor of a new identity. The hope is that an “Airstream Club” will go a long ways towards getting new members. But the WBCCI has no idea what the new members needs are. Sam does, and they adapt their organization frequently to meet the needs of a changing membership base.

And speaking of Sam, the reason they are recognized (and have such a huge membership base) is that they MARKET (key word here) themselves. They negotiate with vendors for products and services on a wide scale for their members. WBCCI doesn’t do that. I don’t have to call camping world – I know the problem exists. But how do you think changing the name of the WBCCI will alter that? Suddenly with a new name we will be accepted where we haven’t been before? Yea, right.

Here is a challenge for you… Call your IBT members and ask them why they are wasting time trying to create a false (sense of) identity rather than spend more time marketing this group as they should have been doing all these years. Have them work with Camping World to become recognized as a powerful organization with thousands of members. I DOUBLE DARE YOU!
Old 12-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #26
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
I believe you

How clear can this be?
You admit that you have not been involved witht the club but for a year. But yet, you have the club all figured out and have spent a HUGE amount of time lobbying against the club in just the past few days.

I am glad to get your background and respect you and your wifes position. I am also glad that you are members of the WBCCI.

As far as my background, I too have only been involved a short time, about five years. But I can hoenestly say that I have been very proactive in initiating change, change all the way around, not just a name change. Both here on this forum and in the WBCCI.

As for reading your post, I have read every word that you wrote amongst these three threads concerning name change, as I always do. Check my Forum stats.

I think if you spent a little time and read my posts from the past, I am just like you and seek change and evolution of the club in its entirety. I have fielded the firings and blasting of the naysayers on many occasions, just ask the veteran forum members. I have gone so far as writing columns in the Blue Beret that speak to the very issues that have been described as controversial.

Do not jump to the conclusion that I am simply differing with you, I am just taking the position that the name change is for the good and marketing that you have pointed out is imperative if the clubs desires to be of the Good Sams status.

very respectfully,
Ken
Old 12-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
The Name Game

First I agree with Buttercup.

A name, especially a new name does not define who you are. It's the reputation you earn that is judged by others. The attitudes and machinations are key here of what is causing the club to fail. Whether the name changes (and I think that would be regrettable) or not and whether events, berets and ceremonies are your cup of tea or not, the problem is the way issues are handled. People don't mind how others choose to celebrate their membership, people do mind that they don't feel they are being recognized and considered or included. The club does need to broaden out. The club does need new members. But the club can start at home with its very own members with the people that have not been around for years and years who have already made the committment to support the club as is with a hope to the future. New members have embraced the old members, but there is little evidence that those in place of leadership can change to embrace the future membership. This at least should be a huge wake-up call that you can't beleager the past procedure and maintain it, and entice new members with acknowledgements of changing needs without some real action or change exhibited. The club has to walk the walk and not just talk the talk. And this name game is only a demonstration and point in fact that the communication does not translate.

Back to promotion...hoping the club can deliver a solution to unifying the old and the new, I think that is how new members would be gained.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...68-post25.html

photography
Old 12-20-2005, 10:26 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
okay - enough is enough - we are starting to sound like the War of the Worlds - so easy do people turn on each other in times of crisis. too much and not enough information can surely create unecessary fires.

First The Wally Byam Caravan Club International Inc. is part of the Articles of Incorporation - The Constitution - refering to the Bylaws and Policy - any changes to this constitution have to follow proper proposed amendments to the Constitution.

So here is my question:

Does anyone here have the actual written proposed amendment?Can your Units provide you with a copy they have received for consideration?

For those who have a Directory - read Article XVI Sec1, 2 & 3. on page 31

If these steps have not been followed and duly recorded in official Delegate Meetings or been officially distributed to the Charted Units - then folks these threads are just RUMOUR and off the record opinion.

Like I mentioned earlier -channel your efforts toward your Units - find out how and when the vote was taken - this has to change with a 2/3 vote from within the Unit - then to the Region having 2/3 majority votes of their total Units and then the IBT with a 2/3 majority. If Units and Regions do not provide 2/3 majority of the ELIGIBLE votes within one year of the proposed amendment then it shall be deemed to have been rejected and to be of no further effect.

So if this vote has not already been taken then I would say the IBT are voting to put a proposal to its Membership and that is all. That proposal will then be coming out by April 1 - 90 days prior to the Delegates meeting.

So unless we have all missed something here - the real amendment has yet to come - and that my friends is where we take the stand. Those with small Units your job is easy - those with over 200 members - we have our work cut out for us.

Another point that needs to be clear is:

what is the proposed amendment:
a) to Add "Airstream" to the Existing Corporate Name
b) To drop the existing Corporate Name and Replace it with a new name (which would require two separarte amendments)
or
c) To officially ad a by-line to the Corporate Name - where either/or name refers to the Corporation.

Gather in the thoughts folks and get some steps instead of GAB into place.

This is a great Forum - and has a strong voice - but only if it is somewhat controlled. And right now I don't see too much constructive stuff here.