Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Sad story, are you listening WBCCI Mr president, do you care?
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
Sad story, are you listening WBCCI Mr president, do you care?
Hope you are not talking about me, my story has a very happy ending....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #23
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
We are members of Metro NY who will be attending the FL State Rally on 16 Feb in Sarasota. We will wear black arm bands in honor of Leo.

Mark
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
If it was not for Leo and others, many of us would not know really what is going on with the $$ at the leadership level, the name change issue, wanting to bring Fourwinds motor homes into the club, etc… The bottom line, he has exposed much of what goes on at your level to the rest of the club to see. ........
Paul Waddell
WBCCI #1270
WDCU Past Prez
Region 2 VAC Guy
Well yes, in fact as I understand it, that is their beef with Leo.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by halimer View Post
We are members of Metro NY who will be attending the FL State Rally on 16 Feb in Sarasota. We will wear black arm bands in honor of Leo.

Mark
Mark,

A black ribbon across the name badge may be more effective.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
How

Quote:

Mark
One question - how can you even go?
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #27
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
One question - how can you even go?
Its open to non members who have never joined

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #28
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Rob,

It will be our way of speaking out against their decision and we already paid.

Mark
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
I was only a member for 2009....but does anyone have the say last 10 years of the member numbers....that they could submit to show the downward trend that is going on with people dropping out of this club....maybe a highlight to someones letter.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Great Letter Frank!!

Frank,

That is a GREAT letter! It will be printed along with the pictures and sent in with mine.

Though I know you're not a member, I'm still going to give you a couple of these!
Old 02-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #31
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Paul, I am a member, just not of the WBCCI. I look forward to chatting more with you at the Bash, however we WILL NOT be talking about the WBCCI there...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:

Mark
I could go for a black ribbon on the badge, but that probably violates some "badge protocol" rule.

We will be at Sarasota, parked in vintage
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:49 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Armbands / ribbons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I could go for a black ribbon on the badge, but that probably violates some "badge protocol" rule.

I highly doubt anyone will even notice. Calling and telling the organizer that "I'm not coming because" - insert

a) they can't balance the budget
b) they terminated Leo
c) they have a secret list
d) they have a forums that censors opinions
e) I just can't support this club anylonger
f) I've terminated my membership
g) All of the above

will be way more effective... then the rally organizer will take that to their leadership... and the snowball goes up the hill....

Just some thoughts.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
I was only a member for 2009....but does anyone have the say last 10 years of the member numbers....that they could submit to show the downward trend that is going on with people dropping out of this club....maybe a highlight to someones letter.
Mike Streamer 23 keeps track and there is information in this thread that may help you. If you ask him I am certain he can provide the information.

And Aage did a graph for the last 5 years membership stats.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...tml#post805349

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:25 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
Decline in Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
Hi Kevin,

My Wife and I have been members of the WBCCI for 10 Years. In 2000 there were more than 1800 members of the Vintage Airstream Club. Today there are about 700. This drop was not from attrition due to death, as is the majority of losses in the main club, it was because of the actions of the Management of the WBCCI. Most losses occured after International as people began to discover how their dues was spent and the shabby treatment of the "used trailer crowd" especially its officers!

Much like what Frank and Rob experienced.

As I have articulated before, because there is no alternative to WBCCI for club minded folks, they do as my wife and I have done and that is to ignore what goes on at the top in favor of our friends at the local level. We pay the fee to camp with our friends not support those at the top.
At least up till now!
wam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
The Last Straw

Hi Gang,

The sad reality is that there are members of our club at both ends of the responsibility scale who are obnoxious. In the past ten years there has been an increasing number of those kinds at the top. Since these folks are not so much elected as selected, we are witnessing an evolution in "leadership" who have no tolerance for dissent. They are in it for themselves, not for the club or its members.

In the past 10 years, my wife Lin and I, have worked hard to bring about changes in our club for the betterment of all our friends and members. We ran rallies, caravans, took up leadership roles within the unit and the VAC Intraclub. All of this with no payback but the expectation of meeting new and interesting people. Being involved creates opportunities to meet all kinds and if you have a different point of view about club politics, it makes you a target.

Leo G has behaved in such a way that makes him one of those targets. So has anybody in this club, who has worked to bring transparency and fairness to the forefront of the business of having fun, which is why we all joined in the first place.

The present IBT seems bent on removal of those "perceived" malcontents simply because they do not agree with them. This puts our management in the category of Despots who are not to be trusted. In the next few months we will most likely be hearing about more terminations! Our management is giving lip service to the concept of membership growth. They are under the illusion that by getting rid of the bad apples they will be able to recruit more revenue enhancement for them to play the Big Wheel game.

I'm sorry to have to categorize the whole Board in this way because three of them are friends of the WDCU and do not deserve the label. However when you stampede with the big herd you run the risk of getting shot just like the rest! We have been through this twice before and the aggravation is always brought from the top down. Which is why we have confined our activities to the local units where we have met some of the nicest folks you will find anywhere!

There have been many discussions about alternate Airstream clubs in the past and it seems as though there is a pattern of discontent and discussion which fades and members go back to rallying with their friends.

Unfortunately I have reached "my" limit of tolerance for bad behavior. As Treasurer and a woman of her own mind, my wife Linda will have to make her own decision about participation! Had we not paid our $56 dues to the WDCU already I would have simply not contributed to reinforcing that bad behavior.

I hope after next year that I will still be invited to an occasional Buddy Rally with those friends even though I am no longer a member, as I cannot in good conscience, give a dollar more to an organization who does not really value the very thing it portends to be about....people!

WAM
wam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That's a good list to put in the comment box in the letters of why you have not renewed that WBCCI sends out.

That they keep hit "lists" is disturbing. Don't forget there was the list of members banned from the WBCCI members forum, or would that be the same list? WOW we can't use e-mail addresses for distribution mailings of candidates in the running or reproduce the meeting recordings, but they can mine personal infomation to enable banning IP adresesses, attaching malicious web scripts, making crank calls, harassing ultimatum letters, and writing up and railroading members with their special brand of grievance committee, that was initially intended to help smooth member disputes and not intended to give leadership an easy out to quiet member advocates. Busy, busy, busy. More of your dues money at work. Earn those pats on the back and awards. That's at least worth another hospitality basket and a newly designed line of title on their International badges, don't you think? I wonder how much time at the Mid-Winter IBT was devoted to that gem of business before they consolodated all the grievance motions and pushed their final abbreviated remix of motions through fast.

The censorship of "politcal commentary" by the club's electronic communications chairman, of members' posts in their own members' forum is inappropriate and unnecessary. We are now only allowed to post facts as authenticated by the chairman. Oh Boy, where do you start on that? George Orwell's Big Brother was a babe in the woods compared to the current IBT! There are posts completely stripped of all opinion except for the first sentence that was left that says I am not a new member, the rest has been removed. Intimidation and censorship is not productive academically or emotionally. That is the memberships forum, and not unlike the delegates meeting, IBT is all over that with their iron fist control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
I highly doubt anyone will even notice. Calling and telling the organizer that "I'm not coming because" - insert

a) they can't balance the budget
b) they terminated Leo
c) they have a secret list
d) they have a forums that censors opinions
e) I just can't support this club anylonger
f) I've terminated my membership
g) All of the above

will be way more effective... then the rally organizer will take that to their leadership... and the snowball goes up the hill....

Just some thoughts.

Rob

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:43 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:

Mark
Mark

You have to talk a picture of the Black arm band on your Blue Uniform with trailers in the background. The world will love it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post

Rick, wear a 2nd black arm band for me!!! AirstreamHobo
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
https://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by wam52 View Post
I hope after next year that I will still be invited to an occasional Buddy Rally with those friends even though I am no longer a member, as I cannot in good conscience, give a dollar more to an organization who does not really value the very thing it portends to be about....people!

WAM
Wayne,

Thanks for that last post. That is where Kimber and I are. We are NOT renewing our 3 memberships in WBCCI, but in as far as we can, will continue to contribute to the VAC - not on the behalf of WBCCI, but rather in support of a great group of people. And it is my sincere hope that when WBCCI fully learns the consequences of its negligent actions the VAC will still exist as a group. The truth is - any unit - any intraclub in WBCCI gives vastly more to WBCCI than it receives. Any unit or intraclub for that matter is perfectly capable of existing on its own without the "support" of the mothership.
It is also my sincere belief that all units and intraclubs should be positioning themselves to exist in a world without WBCCI. The VAC for one, I am quite sure, could exist and even thrive were it not attached to WBCCI. But that is just my opinion. While I was the membership coordinator, the primary complaint I heard as a reason for not renewing was having to be in WBCCI. Some of those folks become Subscribers (where they get the newsletter only), but most just drop because the WBCCI doesn't interest them at all.
I was not aware that VAC membership was 1899 in 2000. That is impressive - and an impressive drop considering the enthusiasm for the vintage rigs.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote