Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I got excited when I saw you had posted Rob, I was hoping you had another letter to offer. Even though you have moved on, you do understand the issues quite well. Any help would be appreciated by those that remain or would like to remain. Surely you aren't visiting only to rub it in, in now that you have started a new club? We could use some of that cheering energy of yours.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #114
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Here today, gone tomorrow?

Could the WBCCI quickly fade into just another RV club?

Many think about things in cyclical terms. There are seasons and rhythms. Almost everything, like people are born, raised, function and then fade. The decline can be cultural, economical or fashionable- -nothing last forever.

The challenges facing the WBCCI have been slow-burning. A steady decline in membership; The changing demographics; Modern technology and communications; The stagnations of reform initiatives; The high expense of maintaining the current ratio of officers to members. Now the creation and growth of alternative clubs are all things that marginalize the WBCCI.

For the current administration the threats might seem minor compared with their personal time frames. Their own ‘here and now’ is important. Within 5 to 15 years most will have aged-out and given up the Airstream lifestyle anyway. Without changes the days of reckoning are within sight. It’s questionable if many clubs with early 20th C rituals and rules can survive past the second decade of the 21st C. Most are in decline.

The general members, unlike the club’s managers, are not trying to maintain the status quo or equilibrium. The demographics are changing and new ideas are being voices of what the club should be. That is the way people live, work and function in the dynamic world today. Changes are going to happen, so why not take control and guide it constructively?

A critical time might come next January following the IBT meeting. Many members plan to withhold their 2011 due pending real reforms. If a significant percentage are still dissatisfied and do not renew, the club will take a major hit. The shock will cause disruptions. The degree is difficult to predict, and probably not anticipated by the central authority that has often misunderstood or ignored the issues.

Can these factors cause a sudden acceleration in the demise of the club? Perhaps. The IBT meeting is the tripwire. Defections can trigger the transition from equilibrium to a crisis mode leading to a major schism--if that isn’t already happening.

Most clubs are not complex systems, but the WBCCI bylaws make changing malfunctioning policies very difficult. Therefore no one expects major changes, so if ‘business as usual’ happens again next January, expect more defections followed by fiscal deterioration, a dues increase and more cycling downward. Are crucial risks being considered and addressed?

Perhaps one day another member will exercise his/her freedom of speech, and be blackballed. It will create negative feelings on both sides. Suddenly, it will be not just a majority of the members who worry about the sustainability, but corporate sponsors and supporters. We’re in trouble when the public loses faiths in the club’s viability. It’s hard to turnaround a losing battle with eroding strength.

Many aspects of the club appear to function well such as the Caravans and Unit and Regional rallies. They are relativity stable- -for now. Those functions are worth our efforts to preserve. It’s the club’s raison d’etre.

The WBCCI does not have to have a predictable life cycle of rise, reign, decline and fall according to some theory. But as long as it behaves like many non-adaptive systems, it will fade and die. On the bright side: It will be said that the WBCCI functioned well for over a half a century, but then just like its leaders, it slowly aged and faded away.

Many see it coming and now have dual RV club memberships. They’re prepared to migrate over to whatever new or existing organization meets their needs. Dismissing this as a hypothetical scenario could be at the club’s peril.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley View Post
Could the WBCCI quickly fade into just another RV club?

Many think about things in cyclical terms. There are seasons and rhythms. Almost everything, like people are born, raised, function and then fade. The decline can be cultural, economical or fashionable- -nothing last forever.

The challenges facing the WBCCI have been slow-burning. A steady decline in membership; The changing demographics; Modern technology and communications; The stagnations of reform initiatives; The high expense of maintaining the current ratio of officers to members. Now the creation and growth of alternative clubs are all things that marginalize the WBCCI.

For the current administration the threats might seem minor compared with their personal time frames. Their own ‘here and now’ is important. Within 5 to 15 years most will have aged-out and given up the Airstream lifestyle anyway. Without changes the days of reckoning are within sight. It’s questionable if many clubs with early 20th C rituals and rules can survive past the second decade of the 21st C. Most are in decline.

The general members, unlike the club’s managers, are not trying to maintain the status quo or equilibrium. The demographics are changing and new ideas are being voices of what the club should be. That is the way people live, work and function in the dynamic world today. Changes are going to happen, so why not take control and guide it constructively?

A critical time might come next January following the IBT meeting. Many members plan to withhold their 2011 due pending real reforms. If a significant percentage are still dissatisfied and do not renew, the club will take a major hit. The shock will cause disruptions. The degree is difficult to predict, and probably not anticipated by the central authority that has often misunderstood or ignored the issues.

Can these factors cause a sudden acceleration in the demise of the club? Perhaps. The IBT meeting is the tripwire. Defections can trigger the transition from equilibrium to a crisis mode leading to a major schism--if that isn’t already happening.

Most clubs are not complex systems, but the WBCCI bylaws make changing malfunctioning policies very difficult. Therefore no one expects major changes, so if ‘business as usual’ happens again next January, expect more defections followed by fiscal deterioration, a dues increase and more cycling downward. Are crucial risks being considered and addressed?

Perhaps one day another member will exercise his/her freedom of speech, and be blackballed. It will create negative feelings on both sides. Suddenly, it will be not just a majority of the members who worry about the sustainability, but corporate sponsors and supporters. We’re in trouble when the public loses faiths in the club’s viability. It’s hard to turnaround a losing battle with eroding strength.

Many aspects of the club appear to function well such as the Caravans and Unit and Regional rallies. They are relativity stable- -for now. Those functions are worth our efforts to preserve. It’s the club’s raison d’etre.

The WBCCI does not have to have a predictable life cycle of rise, reign, decline and fall according to some theory. But as long as it behaves like many non-adaptive systems, it will fade and die. On the bright side: It will be said that the WBCCI functioned well for over a half a century, but then just like its leaders, it slowly aged and faded away.

Many see it coming and now have dual RV club memberships. They’re prepared to migrate over to whatever new or existing organization meets their needs. Dismissing this as a hypothetical scenario could be at the club’s peril.
Did you intend that this post be included as one of the letters sent to the IBT or just a post for the thread?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #116
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
A Prognosis

The targeted audience will get the message.
The editorial’s intention is to prepare readers for the club’s slow and inevitable decline and dissolution.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Kemptville , Ontario
JStanley: Thank you for a thoughtful and thought provoking post. I appreciate and agree with what you are writing. I suspect that the next 12 months will decide the fate of this Club. Any delay in making needed changes to its governance and financial management will seal that fate. There may well be enough members who, before renewing, will wait to see the outcome of the 2020 Committee and what the IBT does in January that the Club could implode quickly if the status quo is maintained.

In my Unit, Ontario Canada, we are holding an open 'town hall' discussion with members at our Spring Rally so that we may get their direct input. It should be an interesting session.

Cheers,
Kerry #5417
Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #118
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
riverhead , New York
Our Club Does Not Have To Die A Slow Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley View Post
The targeted audience will get the message.
The editorial’s intention is to prepare readers for the club’s slow and inevitable decline and dissolution.
The slow death and decline that you predict does not have to come to fruition. In my opinion if we members would stand together and reject "Authority" when wronged our club just might survive and grow.
Should we decide to put this club on a successful tract once again perhaps we should start by demanding the resignation of the Region 9 President who watch on as his wife poured a container of "iced tea" onto one of our members and my Past Unit President.
Perhaps my letter to the IBT would to make such a suggestion that they too demand the Resignation of Doug Wylie the Region 9 President and His First Lady. What a lady!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I have to say ...I am not comfortable with talk about spouses being held accountable to control their spouses. I am also not comfortable with the WBCCI having spouses held accountable for the actions they take against members, such as Kimber, Gail and Mrs. Bob T. This is archaic and wrong in assumption and practice.

If you call for Region 9 president's resignation please do it for the reason that he offered no apologies on their behalf and not because he did not indoctrinate, berate or tackle the "little woman" regardless of her acting out foolishly.I would very much like to know what was said and done among those assembled and what followed the incident. That in my opinion would be the most revealing of attitudes.

But on the subject of seeking resignations a brand new EC7 would be loverly to dream of. Start that chain reaction and we might get the WBCCI back on track before they all die out.

photography
Old 03-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #120
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
riverhead , New York
You are right Carol.
I allowed my emotions to motivate my fingers.
Maybe I should simply have stated that Doug Wylie should have condemned the behavior whether it was his wife or anyone else.
My intention was not "the little lady thing" and I apologize for making you or anyone else that I may have made uncomfortable with that statement.
It is not fair that spouses are terminated from our club for things that they have not done.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #121
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Yes! And you are right Joe. Doug Wylie definitely should have spoken out against that behavior regardless of whomever exhibited it and most especially since it was the first "Lady" of the region! I am with you heart and soul on that. You made no mention of the Little Woman so we wont attribute all gender pet peeves against ya Joe. That was purely my bit thrown into the mix. We keep trying to work on these things you know...you're married. Don't want to lose any ground despite the popularity of Lady Gaga and others pushing back the progress... oh well that's a whole 'nuther pet peeve!

Don't let me get this off track. I just had to say. I applaud the effort you are all making to get the WBCCI leadership to realize it is not omnipotent and must regard the rules and by laws as they were intended to be applied across the board to all members nominated officers or not. It appears some have taken the position of leadership to use it as a vehicle for personal gain and aspirations of grandeur and have lorded it over members disregarding their role as our defenders and keepers of the club and our messengers.

Keep up the hard fight! We support you!

photography
Old 03-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #122
Site Team

, Minnesota
I don't understand why a spouse needs to be dragged into this lemonade issue. Isn't the alleged perpetrator a region officer (Secretary) in her own right? Should she not be accountable for her alleged actions?

Unless someone can show she was acting under the direct authority of the Region President, then we should not assume he (Doug) is responsible for this unfortunate incident.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:01 AM   #123
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
riverhead , New York
Agreed, regarding the accountablity of the spouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I don't understand why a spouse needs to be dragged into this lemonade issue. Isn't the alleged perpetrator a region officer (Secretary) in her own right? Should she not be accountable for her alleged actions?

Unless someone can show she was acting under the direct authority of the Region President, then we should not assume he (Doug) is responsible for this unfortunate incident.
Mark,
I think what bothers me is the reluctance of Region 9 President Doug Wylie to address this matter in any way at all. His failure to come forward is conspicuous by its absence.
I found out about this incident by accident. And, I am irate over this matter.
Hopefull we will find more and as accurately as possible share the information.
I have a "Dog in this Race". It is my Past Unit President that has been terminated from our unit and I too am passionate about WBCCI.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #124
tincantom

1975 25' Tradewind
Crossville , Tennessee
Thumbs down Grievance time

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecolao View Post
The slow death and decline that you predict does not have to come to fruition....
Should we decide to put this club on a successful tract once again perhaps we should start by demanding the resignation of the Region 9 President who watch on as his wife poured a container of "iced tea" onto one of our members and my Past Unit President.
Perhaps my letter to the IBT would to make such a suggestion that they too demand the Resignation of Doug Wylie the Region 9 President and His First Lady. What a lady!
The "lady" in question is certainly deserving of a grievance. Actually isn't this type of behavoir exactly what the Grievance Committee was originally established for?
If someone didn't deck her for doing that then they should file a formal complaint. Start using their own system against them!

Classic Airstreams put the silver in silver city
tincantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincantom View Post
The "lady" in question is certainly deserving of a grievance. Actually isn't this type of behavoir exactly what the Grievance Committee was originally established for?
If someone didn't deck her for doing that then they should file a formal complaint. Start using their own system against them!
Tom,

You are correct, however, Leo chose not to file a grievance and now it is too late.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Tom,

You are correct, however, Leo chose not to file a grievance and now it is too late.

Bill
I'm sure Leo chose not to file for good reason as the cause of the splash would have come to light. In spite of how rude her actions, I'm sure she felt she was defending her husband's honor based on derogatory words Leo had put out in the webosphere about him.

As my mother always said...two wrongs don't make a right.