Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #57
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
I think keeping the unit strong is important - they are going to be what remains after the IBT are gone - send them a donation and let them know you are still interested in being a part of THEM - but don't send in your International dues.
that is exactly what I do... send my unit due.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I was speaking with a retired person who is later in life. We spoke about the airstream club and he said his dad was an airstreamer who belonged to the WBCCI and he the person I spoke with was for most of his adult life. He said it has been the same argument for decades. It is the nature of the beast. Eventually those in leadership will be out and new will be in. After that happens people in the Units will become unhappy for their own reasons and the cycle will start again. This is very common in all sorts of clubs. It is not only with RV folks. I have witnessed this behavior and watched it in several different types of activities.

I once was a member of a club and decided it was to big for my needs. I decided with a buddy to start a club away from the one I was working for. I did not recruit any of their members. I sold the old club as a great club and told people to join them or stay with them and not follow me. It was a great club and I did nothing but try to sell people on why it was a good club. I did not leave because I thought it was a bad club. I left because I saw the need of the same thing on a very small scale. See, size does matter and some like big and some like small. Small fit my needs.

What happened was when I put in my letter of intent people who I thought were my friends did nothing but attack me and tell me how my new club would fail. I was told it would not make it and all kinds of negative things were said to me and I was accused of trying to undermine the big club. Other things happened which were hateful towards me and my family.

My club never effected theirs and it did not hurt their numbers or successes. The bottom line is their are members of hate in that club. I have been involved with clubs my whole life. Many have the same problems and the only difference is the hat they wear.

My small club was very successful because I never trashed the old club, I never tried to recruit the old club members. When people left my club I shook their hands and told them good luck and to say hello to me when we would run into each other at the same competition. I would make sure I complimented them on their performances and kept the door open to friendship. The bottom line was many found out the grass was not greener on the other side and returned to my club.

My buddy and I cared about those people and they knew it. They were not a number or a person to help pay the bills. They were real people who wanted to try something different.

Personally I hate to see conflict. I signed up for the birthday bash because I have never been to a group RV activity before. It was advertised as for everybody and anybody. It fits the schedule, it looks like fun, and I have never been east. I am sure it will be fun and that is what I am looking for. I hope the politics do not creep in there. Everybody just needs to chill and get on with life. The only time I would be upset is if something goes wrong with the airstream.

I can have fun hanging out with anybody as long as they are good people and do not try to ram their philosophy down my throat. I wonder if Dead Head People who follow the Greatful Dead and Jerry Garcia had these conflicts at their get togethers. Probably not. I have a friend who is in his mid 50's and has been following them since 1969. Wow! the story he tells. Now that is what I am talking about!

Brian

Old 02-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #59
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
I was speaking with a retired person who is later in life. We spoke about the airstream club and he said his dad was an airstreamer who belonged to the WBCCI and he the person I spoke with was for most of his adult life. He said it has been the same argument for decades. It is the nature of the beast. Eventually those in leadership will be out and new will be in. After that happens people in the Units will become unhappy for their own reasons and the cycle will start again. This is very common in all sorts of clubs. It is not only with RV folks. I have witnessed this behavior and watched it in several different types of activities.
Yes, but the downward trend coupled with the deficit losses to the club only indicates the situation is worse than just a few bad years. In fact, that decline shows the situation to be grave indeed!
If this were a person sitting in a bed in hospital with all sorts of wires and tubes running everywhere and the trends were all trending downward like that, the nurses would be asking us if we had an advanced directive filled out for the patient. The doctors would be either be running around doing all they could or they would be looking with sympathy and shaking their heads - the patient doesn't look good.
In WBCCI the vital signs are looking grim. The COD will likely be, failure to thrive. And perhaps some will even say - maybe it was time....

You get the point.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Yes things may get worse but always keep hope. I bet there are many terrible beatup looking airstream trailers that were one pull from going to the scrap yard. When it gets to that point people may jump ship, or be thrown overboard. When that happens I bet somebody steps up to the plate and will make things right just like when somebody takes the old aristream and brings it back to life.

You are always going to have people who want to be in leadership positions. Unfortunaltely many of those people do not have the management skills, and lack managerial qualities such as conflict resolution to deal with certain aspects of being the leader.

I feel writing letters, posting on airforums maybe falling on many deaf ears. The club is like a plant that may be ready to die. It may have to die to comeback to life again. I have seen clubs run themselves into the ground disappear for awhile only to be re-born.

I feel that the conflict just gets worse and the anger will not allow people to resolve the conflicts. Ego's have taken over and more people may end up being disappointed, labeled, booted, or harrassed. I will tell you I sure do not want to join a club that has that type of conflict.

Those people who are very angry, hurt or vindictive need to walk away from it and develop new creative strategies. The birthday bash is a very creative way to bring people together. Maybe somebody could put something like that together somewhere else.

The darkest our is just before the dawn. No matter how bad you think things may get something positive can come out of it for you and other people if they want it to. Being creative is taking the lead. I have seen clubs split threeways before. Each entity grew and became successful only to come together again under one banner after new leadership was in and old leadership was out. Not only come together but bigger and more powerful. Will it happen overnight? probably not.

go camping keep the faith, be kind, work hard and great things will happen! I do believe that.

Brian
Old 02-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #61
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
I do not see it as jumping ship - that analogy is used with the expectation that the ship is intact and seaworthy.
WBCCI is not seaworthy but there are some who are trying to patch that hole in the side and pump the bilges ( Jim Franklin's Quality over Quantity). Personally, I am sitting comfortably in a lifeboat with my vest on. At the end of the year, while I am watching that big old lumbering ironed hull relic go down. I will be floating away safely with my sanity intact waiting for that newer vessel to come and pick me up. I know I am not alone, this lifeboat is nearly full, but there is always room for one more.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 02-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #62
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Not a letter but an analysis

Analysis and opinions based on recent events and common sense

Part 1
It is obvious that the WBCCI is losing favor. Those in power are choosing to ignore or dismiss pragmatic reform advice while becoming distant and arrogant.

The bylaws are being perverted. It has turned away from its proper purpose and now follows contrary and destructive policies. Bylaws are intended to govern and protect the rights of all members and misused for other purposes. But they have become weapons and instead of maintaining order, they are used to punish.

If everyone has the right to protect and defend themselves, then it follows that a group has the right to organize and support a common cause to protect their rights and restore order as originally established. If this is true, we have a moral duty to inform others and work toward a restoration.
There is no dispute about their right to run the club. The dispute is their right to pervert the rules, sanction certain individuals for disobedience, and compel everyone to pay for them to continue. To continue is contrary to our best interests and our consciences. Is this meddling? Perhaps, but if the club disintegrates everyone shares the consequences.

Part 2
The administrators have exceeded the limits of their proper functions. Some have recently acted in direct opposition to the member’s welfare and the reasons for renewing for next year.

Due to mismanagement, defections will continue to exceed new member. Honest mistakes together with questionable stewardship have caused serious dissatisfaction. The recent reactionary acts against certain members are backfiring. These missteps not only increased the seriousness of their duty for corrective actions, but also their personal responsibility for the continued decline in membership and potential failure.

The grievance bylaws have been misused to destroy it’s own objectives. It limits the rights, which it was intended to respect. It is now applied to silence objections, opposing opinions and meaningful dialogue. A grievance enables the unscrupulous to harass certain people without risk to themselves. It also intends to intimidate others. That bylaw has converted this destructive act into a right, in order to protect the accuser. Asking for due process or a lawful defense hearing becomes another grievance, in order to discourage and punish a lawful defense. It has perverted the justice that it was supposed to maintain. How did this happen?

Influence and greed together with the false patronizing have been slowly destroying the club’s respect, enjoyment and harmony. However the many dedicated administrators and hard workers are not a party to these activities. They should be rewarded for the good they do and not labeled with collective accusations.

There is a common tendency, that when they can, some wish to benefit at the expense of others. It’s a natural human condition to try to satisfy ones wants over ones needs. But when done at the expense of others, it can be call plundering. One purpose of the bylaws is to prevent misuse of funds and privileges by officials while protecting the assets and the members. If unchecked, certain preferential policies become instruments of injustice. How is it stopped?

The words ‘perverted’ and ‘plundering’ might be offensive and irritating to some, but it is not intended to attack the actions or morality of any individual or group. The current system of policies, rules and bylaws allow for it and those are the targets because many see them as unjust.

Part 3
Years ago the club’s creators entrusted all future leaders with the responsibility of preserving, developing, and perfecting it. The club no longer has leaders, but middle managers and administrators.

Most members are unaware of the detailed bylaws and Blue Book. They trust those in charge to make the rules and to follow them for the general good. Over time more bylaws are made, changed, sanctioned and supported by and for the dominating group’s benefit, and in proportion to their power.

Rules get perverted when they try to satisfy one group over another. It’s erroneously to think all our bylaws are "just" because they were approved years ago. Rules can’t proclaim themselves fair and just.

Isn’t it natural for people to rebel against the perception of injustice? When a system is organized for the benefit of those who make the rules, many victims and concerned individuals either walk away or try to work for change. That is futile if the ruling group simply kicks out people working for change from within.

Honorable members seeking a radical change will be despised, considered dangerous subversives and a threat to the organization. They will never be allowed to advance into a higher office.

Part 4
Those in power have a monopoly. Can a club long endure when a large percentage cannot respect its policies? Members have choices, a) either quit or, b) play along to get along or, c) suspend their moral sense of fair play.

Current policies have to change, not only because they are hurting membership, but also because it causes more problems. Without corrective intervention, this spreading cancer will disembowel the membership. Knowledge of the conflicts within the WBCCI is well known in the Airstream and RV communities. Some have exaggerated the club’s politics at the expense of increasing membership and participation.

Where are the leaders setting goals for the future? Those in charge are just administering the rules. The bylaws justify their actions and spares them the personal shame such actions would normally involve. Those with a vested interest in the status quo will complain and defend their rights, saying that they are protecting the stability of the club. That is short sighted and a delusion. Perverted systems prevail as long as the rights of each member to vote and be heard are continually restricted.

When objections are voiced those in charge confuse the issue and assume they objected to them personally. Distinctions are lost due to bruised egos or supposed threats to usurp their authority. How did they come to believe the weird idea that terminating outspoken members could produce peace and quiet, and by the way, increase quality membership and a balanced budget?

Part 5
Fear of open and free association and dialogue was demonstrated when all Email addressed were eliminated from the 2010 Membership Directory. Was this information deleted to save us from ourselves? The official reason was that the Emails were mistaken omitted by a software error. That is plausible, but why have no errata sheets or updates been distributed?

Apparently members are not trusted to utilize this faster, cheaper, better technology to communicate. Forget the propaganda challenge, they lost that years ago. Prior to its fall almost two decades ago, the Moscow phonebook was classified as secret. Judge the lessons of history for yourself.

This begs the question: If member are not trusted to interact, as the administrators have indicated, then why should members trusted or defend the current system? The junta have place themselves above and beyond the intelligence of mere members. Like shepherds over their sheep? In this case there is no proof of their superior management or herding skills.

They maintain their momentum with our dues and run down the road with it. This will continue as long as members remain passive, accept top-down management vs. bottoms-up reform, or consider themselves incapable of a better club. Expect the same status quo as long at members pay to maintain the shepherd to sheep relationship.

Asking to be heard is considered an annoyance to be limited and silenced by established protocols. Dialogue, cooperation and compromise are hindered. The power of reason is a threat to the established order. Experience has shown that solutions are often found when member are able to openly discuss the issues and work together for everyone’s mutual benefit.

Most of us will continue to caravan, camp, travel well and socialize without formal club membership. Recent ad hoc gatherings have proved to function very well outside of the WBCCI. This in nothing new, and such activities existed long before people formalized a club and enacted detailed policies and bylaws.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Excellent analysis

You nail the problem facing the club, and they are at the top within. Soooooooo sad.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:11 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Email addresses

Jstanley,

A list of email addresses, actually three, one by email, one by number and one by name, is available on the WBCCI forum site, in the members only section.

No attempt has been made by the leadership, that I know of, to inform the mere members that these lists are available. One of the units I belong to has sent the lists to all members.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
WBCCI Lives On

Quote:
I think keeping the unit strong is important - they are going to be what remains after the IBT are gone - send them a donation and let them know you are still interested in being a part of THEM - but don't send in your International dues.

Tim,

I am sorry to say I once thought that the club could not survive another year and that this would be true but the way the club is organized, no one who does not agree with the top 7 will ever make it to the top circle. I also thought that once the money was gone they would also leave. Not true! Because the money will always continue to flow!

The problem is that the WBCCI has members who are having a good time because they can turn a blind eye to the mess at the top. They don't attend international and they only attend events where they know the folks and know they are going to have a good time.

Now you have to admit, paying a fee to camp or travel with people you like is not a burden. Even $100 a year is less than a pair of tickets to a local sports or cultural event so this whole argument about money is not really an issue.

Its the principle of fairness and good intent which is sady lacking in the management of the club which drives some people away. I hate to throw water on the fire of discontent but as I told Leo long ago, why waste your energy on trying to move an immovable object either acquiesce to the status quo or be done with it, just as Rob and Frank have done most recently.

I could continue on in the club and I could continue to be the Region 1 Rep for the VAC, but I have decided to pursue other avenues to enjoy the company of friends who also enjoy Airstreaming.

It takes a great deal of energy to start a new enterprise. There may even be a market for it. Maybe there is one in our future.

Only time will tell!

WAM
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley View Post
Part 5
Fear of open and free association and dialogue was demonstrated when all Email addressed were eliminated from the 2010 Membership Directory. Was this information deleted to save us from ourselves? The official reason was that the Emails were mistaken omitted by a software error. That is plausible, but why have no errata sheets or updates been distributed?
Not only plausible, but fact. Not all email addresses were omitted. Mine is in the directory as are some others. If it was an evil plan and not a computer glitch, they would all be missing.

Otherwise, you analysis is very interesting.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin View Post
thanks Carol...
anytime for a campfire...
and Dufferin, don't forget to have a campfire with us, you know where we are.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #68
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wam52 View Post
Tim,

I am sorry to say I once thought that the club could not survive another year and that this would be true but the way the club is organized, no one who does not agree with the top 7 will ever make it to the top circle. I also thought that once the money was gone they would also leave. Not true! Because the money will always continue to flow!
I agree 100%. I would rather take my $65 I would have spent for dues and give it as a donation to the 3 units we are registered with. WDCU does what it can with $1 for each member it has, so does 4CU, but the IBT just can't see their way to do the same. When the WBCCI fails, I would like to see that the WDCU as a group still exists and that I could camp with those folks.
WBCCI should be viewed as an association rather than a mothership. That association is not working for the unit in what it can provide TO the unit - the unit should find a better association who can service their needs. I believe that association will be coming before the WBCCI fails. And that association will have my support.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #69
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Quote:
Originally Posted by macofpei View Post
and Dufferin, don't forget to have a campfire with us, you know where we are.
Don't worry I won't forget you guys... have a good trip by the way!

my blog

Old 02-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #70
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Quote:
I agree 100%. I would rather take my $65 I would have spent for dues and give it as a donation to the 3 units we are registered with. WDCU does what it can with $1 for each member it has, so does 4CU, but the IBT just can't see their way to do the same. When the WBCCI fails, I would like to see that the WDCU as a group still exists and that I could camp with those folks.
WBCCI should be viewed as an association rather than a mothership. That association is not working for the unit in what it can provide TO the unit - the unit should find a better association who can service their needs. I believe that association will be coming before the WBCCI fails. And that association will have my support.
mine as well.

my blog