Old 09-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Annual cost of membership is between $66 and $85 so if the only benefit you use would be the discount, you would have to do a fair amount of camping at participating campgrounds. There are many other benefits, you might use, to spread the cost over. A couple nights of free courtesy parking would do it.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Actually, my wife calculated this just yesterday evening, based on our rates. It varies a little (because unit dues vary), but it would take approximately four nights at the park with the discount in order to pay for one's yearly dues.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Annual cost of membership is between $66 and $85 so if the only benefit you use would be the discount, you would have to do a fair amount of camping at participating campgrounds. There are many other benefits, you might use, to spread the cost over. A couple nights of free courtesy parking would do it.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
I was once a member of WBCCI and left because I didn't feel that I was getting anything for my $55 (now $65). I'm a Good Sam member and I pay my membership 3 years at a time all because of their excellent towing / roadside assistance program. That amounts to about $150 a year. I really don't find anything useful in the Highways magazine, so that's a moot point. I also don't partake of the 10% discount for parks because the parks that offer discounts through Good Sam are typically not the type of park that my family likes to stay at. Basically, I'm paying $150/yr for roadside assistance. If the WBCCI could get a good package together using much of what is being presented in the OP of this thread and associate with a *good* roadside assistance program, then it would be worthwhile for me to come back to WBCCI. I'd just chuck the Blue Beret in the recycle bin (like I do with Highways) and ignore the bureaucracy and politics of at the higher levels of the club and enjoy my Airstream club membership that gets me discounted camping and roadside assistance.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #18
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
I bet it might be kind of hard to get the roadside assistance thing going, unfortunately. Well, not for super cheap. (What I like about the discount idea is that it's essentially free for the doing.)

On another note, I received a nice email from Jean H., the WBCCI RV parks point person. She seems fairly upbeat about the idea, but obviously wants to talk about it some more.

Lynn
Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I like the discount idea and I think it could be a win-win for campgrounds and for WBCCI. If each dealer made it a point to ensure there were one or two (or three) campgrounds within their area/state that offered discounts to members I think this could really take off. Yes, there is some overhead in maintaining the list and ensuring the addresses, etc. are up to date but it would be worth the effort from the WBCCI standpoint.

I'll go on a tangent here and say the list of parks should be part of the "database" maintained by WBCCI and the list should be part of a secure login that can be accessed via smart-phone apps so all 21st century WBCCI members can easily obtain the information while they're on the road. Okay, okay... I know it's a tangent but the lack of 21st century communication with this club is appalling!

Back to the letter... my suggestion is to make it more formal. While the language is fine for two people having coffee together, the tone seems too familiar when making a proposal to the WBCCI.

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
What is a smart phone? Is that a phone used by a smarta!! LOL. Jim
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I am new to Airstreaming. I joined Passport America because of the campground discount. On our first outing we saved almost half of the PA fee. However, I do not think I would join the WBCCI simply for a discount. I have heard too many tales of political infighting for my tastes. I camp to get away from strife.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Back to the letter... my suggestion is to make it more formal. While the language is fine for two people having coffee together, the tone seems too familiar when making a proposal to the WBCCI.
Actually, the whole letter is moot, except as a reminder. A recent reading of the WBCCI Bylaws reveals to me that there is an "RV Parks" Standing Committee, whose brief is:

Quote:
To initiate and maintain a program with available RV Parks that affords WBCCI members discounts for overnight parking. The chairman shall insure that all parks are contacted each year in order to insure the park’s continued participation. The chairman shall work with the Headquarters Staff to insure publication of the RV Parks list each year in the annual directory, and the distribution of the specially designed RV Parks decal. (6/22/98)

The fact that you feel this letter is necessary is an indication that the RV Parks Standing Committee is not doing its job well enough, since they're SUPPOSED to already be doing what you suggest in the letter.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
...Back to the letter... my suggestion is to make it more formal. While the language is fine for two people having coffee together, the tone seems too familiar when making a proposal to the WBCCI.

Lucius
Oh, it's not quite to the proposal stage, and not intended to be. Its intent as letter to the editor was one of simplicity of idea and, more crucially, support for retention and recruitment.

On the more formal end, I'm willing to do some of the lifting, but not all of it. After all, there's a point to retiring at some level (that I'm still trying to find).

Lynn
Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #24
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Yep, that's the old system; obviously the by-laws need updating. More to the point, though, the old system would typically yield members a whopping 10% discount or so. In my view, that's not enough of an incentive to attract the attention of current and prospective members very much. Might as well join Good Sam instead.

Lynn

Quote:
Actually, the whole letter is moot, except as a reminder. A recent reading of the WBCCI Bylaws reveals to me that there is an "RV Parks" Standing Committee, whose brief is:
Quote:
To initiate and maintain a program with available RV Parks that affords WBCCI members discounts for overnight parking. The chairman shall insure that all parks are contacted each year in order to insure the parkís continued participation. The chairman shall work with the Headquarters Staff to insure publication of the RV Parks list each year in the annual directory, and the distribution of the specially designed RV Parks decal. (6/22/98)
The fact that you feel this letter is necessary is an indication that the RV Parks Standing Committee is not doing its job well enough, since they're SUPPOSED to already be doing what you suggest in the letter.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #25
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
I'm not sure that dealers would necessarily be as involved in this as we might like. Sure, Airstream Inc. might get some "points" for it, but remember that Airstream Inc. and its dealer network are not the same as the WBCCI.

More generally, I'm not sure that dealers would be in the best position to accomplish any of this. Campground owners have precious little contact with dealer networks; their "bread-and-butter" is the camper; comments and suggestions from them are, I'd bet, liable to meet with more of a response.

Lynn

Quote:
I like the discount idea and I think it could be a win-win for campgrounds and for WBCCI. If each dealer (highlight by Lynn) made it a point to ensure there were one or two (or three) campgrounds within their area/state that offered discounts to members I think this could really take off. Yes, there is some overhead in maintaining the list and ensuring the addresses, etc. are up to date but it would be worth the effort from the WBCCI standpoint....Lucius
Old 09-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Yep, that's the old system; obviously the by-laws need updating.
Don't hold your breath on that one! As an incorporated non-profit organization, bylaws and parliamentary procedures are inescapable. The bylaws won't be changed until someone files a motion to change them, which demonstrates exactly why they need to change, and can propose a workable replacement that the majority of the voting membership can accept.

Anyway, the bylaws are fine as written in this regard, if only the RV Parks Standing Committee would do what it's supposed to do as written in the bylaws, instead of concetrating their efforts solely on the few Airstream-only parks.

Quote:
More to the point, though, the old system would typically yield members a whopping 10% discount or so. In my view, that's not enough of an incentive to attract the attention of current and prospective members very much. Might as well join Good Sam instead.
I did. Actually, I joined Good Sam even before I bought my Airstream, for one very good reason. Having the Good Sam membership saves me over $400 per year on RV insurance. Good Sam pays for itself, and then some, just on the insurance discount, even if I never use their campground discount.

I may let my Passport America membership lapse. I may even let my WBCCI membership lapse. But Good Sam saves me entirely too much money to ever give it up.

I like the idea of WBCCI discounts at campgrounds. However, in order to be worthwhile to me, those discounts have to be either:
1 - a deeper discount than I can get through Good Sam, Passport America, or AARP; or
2 - at a park that doesn't belong to the Good Sam, Passport America, or AARP networks, and yet is worth staying at.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #27
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Oh, I think it's pretty easy to imagine a deeper discount than you can get via Good Sam's 10%. What gives Good Sam an advantage is their other benefits, including insurance. For that, you'd have to be a very large group, much larger than the WBCCI. (I get those advantages by belonging not to Good Sam qua individual, but to AARP.)

Passport America is surely the most comparable in terms of feasible business model. Sure, we can't compete with Passport America directly; again, it's a matter of size of group. Nonetheless, I think we can offer a lot more bang for the buck to prospective and current members by offering this kind of program. That's what it's all about!

Lynn
Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As an incorporated non-profit organization, bylaws and parliamentary procedures are inescapable. The bylaws won't be changed until someone files a motion to change them, which demonstrates exactly why they need to change, and can propose a workable replacement that the majority of the voting membership can accept.
Just as a point of information, under the WBCCI constitution the club's bylaws are exclusively the purview of the International Board of Trustees, consisting of the International officers and the twelve Region presidents. The IBT can change the bylaws whenever they want. If the members want them changed, they have to convince their region presidents to get the IBT to change them.

On the other hand, the WBCCI constitution is exclusively the purview of the voting members, by way of the annual Delegates Meeting. If the IBT wants to change the constitution they can file a motion at the Delegates Meeting, but it's up to the delegates whether it passes or not. (Which takes a 2/3 majority, a rather high barrier.)