Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Let's Have a Cup of Coffee with Wally

A Cup of Coffee with Wally Byam

When I find old pictures, letters, and artifacts I choke up frequently. There are pictures of my Mother, Wally, Stel, Art, Andy and many hundreds of old friends. I thought in this thread you should have a cup of coffee with Wally. You need to know that he and my Mother were two early risers that had to have a hot steaming cup of coffee, first thing in the morning. Wally liked to have orange marmalade on toast or an English muffin. My Mother wanted that perfect sunnyside up egg or a soft-boiled egg and toast.

I think that starting the morning with Wally and a cup of coffee is important. As the day goes on things get hectic. Issues arise that need to be addressed. Today we have the extremes that have always been part of the WBCCI and even Airstream. Wally addressed tough situations straight on. He might grab the bull by the horns and tell you this is how it’s going to be. Well that’s leadership. He might call a meeting and get a consensus and take the discussion as an advisement. Many times Wally had an objective in mind. Could he sell? You bet! If it was the right thing to do everyone followed Wally’s lead.

Yes, let’s have cup of coffee with Wally and start a new day.

Wally was positive. He was a can do man. It was never a half full or half empty glass. It was always full. His path from the time he formed Airstream had many ups, and many downs…but always, always forward! He was brilliant. He always found the way to get the job done.

While you are having your cup of coffee with Wally, address your misgivings, your grievances, and shortcomings the way Wally would. Find a constructive, positive, and successful approach to doing the right thing.

Hey, that was a really good cup of coffee.

See ya on the road!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pee wee #3 (8) 8-8 A.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	91635  
Old 11-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I still think they should make a movie of Wally. I think it would be well received. Not a documentary but a life story movie.

From your picture I should think Woody Allen might be a great character actor for Wally. What do you think? What about the rest of the cast???

Maybe a daily podcast would be in order fashioned from your vast archives. That would be pretty cool.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Pee Wee... Thank you again for keeping the "image" of Wally and your Mother alive through these wonderful photos!

Is there any chance that you could set the record straight in the best way you can with respect to Wally's Hat.... The "when" "what" "why" "where" ext... I have know of 6 different stories but would love to have your take! Any one know where Wally's safari hat is?

Thank You! I glad you have remained apart of this circle!

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I still think they should make a movie of Wally. I think it would be well received. Not a documentary but a life story movie.
What a great idea!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Goin' to Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
Pee Wee... Thank you again for keeping the "image" of Wally and your Mother alive through these wonderful photos!

Is there any chance that you could set the record straight in the best way you can with respect to Wally's Hat.... The "when" "what" "why" "where" ext... I have know of 6 different stories but would love to have your take! Any one know where Wally's safari hat is?

Thank You! I glad you have remained apart of this circle!

Todd
Todd,

Some where early in the planning of the African Caravan, Wally decked himself in safari clothing. This included a pith helmet. You will see Wally in many of the African pictures wearing his pith helmet.

I'm not sure if Wally furnished pith helmets to the African Caravanners or they bought them. Most of those on the African Caravan had pith helmet and their blue berets.

I have Wally and Stel's pith helmets. I have worn Wally's helmet at rallies and for picture ops this year.

I'm not sure there is any additional information to record.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Thank You Pee Wee! For the information... I guess now I need to buy you a hot cup of coffee the next time we meet!

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Yea, another thanks - I sure would like a cup of coffee.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Pee Wee....I always enjoy reading your posts. Thanks so much for sharing the history of your family!

This particular post is so inspirational. I always try to think of the glass as half full too. I wish all Americans could take a step back, think of how blessed we are and push forward for a brighter future. All it takes is hope and a little hard work and inspirational examples like the ones that Wally gave to us.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Another nice thread, PeeWee. Thanks!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote