Old 05-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I am also interested in the comments. They will help me in my decision.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
I did just that. We had about 50 members attend 3 discussion sessions on the changes. I wish a PowerPoint presentation had been included. Since it was not, I prepared and presented one. We had a Region VP and a Region PP in attendance at all sessions. Their input was interesting.

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
The position I provided previously is the sum of the membership feedback (so far). The Region officer / former officer feedback was a little different. Comments and concerns included:
- Concern that the shrinking to Areas would be difficult, given long time allegiance to current arrangement and friends.
- Concern that the Areas in the center of the country couldn't be adequately served, given the larger geographical areas they may represent.
- An opinion that the Draft Bylaws should be provided first. Otherwise it is voting on a promise with no substance.
- Glad to see a voice for MALs.
- Skepticism over the financial reality and feasibility of "electronic procedures".
- Disagreement with the identification of "preferred" candidates by the Nominating Committee and a desire to see candidate qualifications spelled out, rather than open to interpretation by the Nominating Committee.
- Doubts that member voting would produce significant involvement.

Bottom line. They agreed that change is needed and that many of the changes in the proposal are good. They were interested in the draft Bylaws to see the substance of the argument.

Don't know if this helps.

mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Matt,

Thank you for the report.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #60
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Dismayed

As a new AS owner I am sorry to learn about the current situation of the WBCCI. As others have posted on this thread, I too perceived the WBCCI as being a social organization that brought together people who had one very important thing in common. To me, that thing was the decision to purchase an AS for their travel home. We, my wife and I, believe the AS to be an American Icon representing innovative design and quality construction.

We have been members of other groups from time to time, motorcycles, sailboats and others which have led to the formation of strong friendhips. It quickly became obvious that sharing a passion for an activity with another person lays the foundation for building mutual friendship, support and acceptance, that supersedes the other person's socio-economic status and religious or political beliefs. I will never forget a cross country motorcycle rally I attended. Over 300 people from all over the world attended, including some famous celebrities. But, our shared interest was a great leveler. What counted most was the joy we shared on the ride and the pride we had in our bike.

I was hoping to find such a fellowship in the WBCCI. I am now wondering if that will be possible. Prior to finding this thread, I applied to the WBCCI using the web site. When I got no reply, I sent an e-mail to the regional president. After waiting a few days and still not receiving a reply, I started researching the WBCCI and discovered its 'problems'.

For now, I will sit back and watch. We are preparing to cross the country and visit Alaska over the next 3 - 4 months. I am confident that we will meet many other AS owners, and I am sure that our common interest in the AS will be the basis for a positive social acquaintance that could lead to lasting friendship.

I will continue to follow this thread, and I look forward to seeing you on the road.

Wayne

my blog:
Tin Wheeler Adventures
Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

"...the formation of strong friendships ...sharing a passion for an activity with another person lays the foundation for building mutual friendship, support and acceptance, that supersedes the other person's socio-economic status and religious or political beliefs... our shared interest was a great leveler. What counted most was the joy we shared on the ride and the pride we had in our..."

Wayne,

The above phrases in your post describe exactly what we found in our unit (WDCU) of the WBCCI. We weren't even looking for or expecting it, but it was there. Other than a few professional and service organizations, this is my only group membership. And, while I haven't been interested enough in the negativity to truly research it because we've been having such a good time, I would suspect much of it is coming from a very vocal minority. Find the right unit and give it a shot. Anything above the unit level is BS and politics anyway.

Hope you have a great trip. Looking forward to reading about on your blog. We just got back from a cross country trip, and will soon head out again. Perhaps we'll see you on the road.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #62
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Thanks to you and those that have PM'd me on this issue. We have made contact with our local unit and will participate in a local rally this weekend. I spoke with one of the organizers this afternoon. The warm welcome I received makes me believe that your opinion is correct.

We look forward to sharing our experiences with other AS enthusiasts.

Wayne and Sarah
LY Mary Joan
Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #63
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
- Concern that the shrinking to Areas would be difficult, given long time allegiance to current arrangement and friends.
- Concern that the Areas in the center of the country couldn't be adequately served, given the larger geographical areas they may represent.
Just so we all know the current number of members per region.

1-276
2-755
3-1001
4-488
5-287
6-359
7-147
8-238
9-530
10-627
11-347
12-431

So the range is 150-1000 not evenly distributed

There are several units WA-327, GA-316, ON-165 that have more members than some regions.

Another metric that would be interesting to show is a map with members per state.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Dallas , Tech-Sus
Can anyone tell me the current membership total of the WBCCI? Or is this list it?

Airstream FM

Easy Listening For the Internet Generation
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You have to add in all the MAL members to get the total. For the IBT to proportionally represent the members, the Regions should be approximately equal. That would mean some Region would cover vast areas. The requirement that the Region officers visit all their units would put a large travel burden on those officers. In the new age of electronic communication, physical travel requirements should be dropped.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Bob,

Thanks for breaking down the numbers per-Region. Maybe a way to help fix the falling numbers at the International Rally would be to hold it in a Region (or the areas around the Region) that have the most amount of members?

If you look at the Region map, look at the numbers, it's no wonder why the International Rally numbers keep falling.

If you held the thing in an area say like Virginia, NC, PA area you could pull from over 3000 members within an 8-12 hour drive!

But once again, the leadership would rather hold it in an area that is surrounded by the smallest Regions that takes over a two day drive to get to.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #67
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Paul, I fully agree with you for a change

Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #68
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Can anyone tell me the current membership total of the WBCCI? Or is this list it?
With the Mal's it a tad + or - 6,000

In fact to get a true picture the mal's location on state map would be helpful as well.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #69
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Last I heard total membership was somewhere around 6200. (Remember, that's families, not individuals.)
Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #70
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
There are only a few states with a significant number of Mal's

CA, FL,TX

The rest are spread out.

Tags
wbcci