Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #43
Rivet Master

It can be Saved, Maybe.

Frank,

I have to admit there was a time when I thought the actions of a few members from each of the larger forward thinking Units could force the needed changes to drag the WBCCI leadership into a more relaxed, kid friendly, camping style of club which is more in line with today’s purchaser of Airstream trailers both new and vintage. Even the Airstream company it’s self saw the writing on the wall as to who would be driving sales into the future and has made the needed changes to the product line to fore fill those needs. Unfortunately, the leadership at the International level of the club did not and could not understand these changing dynamics thus making the needed changes to keep the club healthy and growing. One needs only to look at other brand type clubs Mustang, Harley, Corvette, etc… to see they saw changes needed to happen and as the saying goes “Strike while the iron is hot” in an effort not only to keep their clubs alive and well, but growing!

One must ask at this time “Is the iron still hot enough to strike?” Let be clear, there is nothing that I would like more than to see the WBCCI start growing at a rate like it did back in the 60”s and 70’s.

There are a few on this forum that are putting many eggs into one basket with the “New Constitution”. If one only looks at that document closely and from a “neutral” point of view, they will see it does little if anything to really “fix” the problems of the WBCCI. I personally think you have a few that are in so many words “grand standing” for their own personal gain and glory. That can be seen in the many reply’s to very direct questions where the answers were more of a slam against the person asking the questions or points of view than looking at things from their point of view and trying to understand why they are seeing things that way. It has very much been a debate where the “Politics of Destruction” has been used towards anyone that will not and has not drank the Cool-Aid and ate the cookie. Add to that if you run the numbers you have at best 12-25 WBCCI members on this forums that offered input and suggestions. 12-25 out of 6000 is less than ˝ of one percent. Add to that an effort of standing up a website to debate and answer questions that has had very little traffic or questions based on the numbers shown (views, posts, reply’s, etc..) when you access the website. Now there’s an effort to go out to Units (will they be reimbursed for travel as part of the special committee?) business meetings to push this thing like the IBT/EC7 does the International Rally. One surely already knows how that will be spun my guess, “not from a neutral” point of view.

As an Ex-WBCCI Prez, active VAC member, etc… said “All the paper in the world won't fix the club; it will have to come from people that care and do the right thing without being pushed by rules."

Many would say over the last 12 months the whole Leo G, Defend Wally, Lawsuit, Revision Committee, insults to members asking questions about the New Constitution has done far more harm and hurt to the club than anything else over the past ten years.

Even if the WBCCI started firing on all cylinders tomorrow and happiness was abound, the IBT stop spending with the North America Tour, every International Rally paid for itself and it was all about kids, with all the hurt, membership leaving, bad taste in ones mouth, etc… that has happen, it will be many years before the WBCCI will begin to grow and overcome the past 12 months and by that time it very well maybe too late.

So one may ask, “Can the WBCCI be saved?” the answer is “YES” in could be saved today with a stroke of the pen by the IBT/EC7 to stop the spending, relax the environment, etc… which under their control in the “WBCCI Bylaws”. It would not require a New Constitution and maybe not even require much of a change to the current one. Just as Shacksman said;

“It will have to come from people that care and do the right thing without being pushed by rules."

Old 04-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #44
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Paul are you going to be at your unit rally next weekend?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
This is a very sad string to read folks.
As an outsider I had always admired the Airstreams, the seemingly family like units, the stick together attitude, the beautiful caravans of shiny aluminum trailers passing thru on their way to who knows where. This camaraderie is probably the single biggest reason, after years of looking, that we decided to buy a vintage Airstream and JOIN the club instead of buying a box brand. We wanted to be part of a group that was so friendly they welcomed us into a rally and made us feel like family before we ever even purchased our Airstream.
So we are new owners, new members, and I guess maybe we have not been in long enough to see the myriad of problems that have inflamed so many people. Perhaps because we are so new we do not know what is broken and needs to be fixed. But from where I sit now, no longer an outsider, I am proud to have joined one of the very few iconic clubs that is still around after this many years. And I would ask you all to kick back a bit and look at the good parts for a moment. Think rallies, caravans, people who let you camp in their yards, etc... The people in the WBCCI seem to be pretty special.
Hope the membership of my wife and I helps to boost the numbers and keep the club alive.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #46
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
The Club is What You Make It...

Casa3805,

Like many things in life, WBCCI is what you make of it. The club is not for everyone - I don't know of any club that suits everyone. The WBCCI has lots of history, it remains a source of fun, fellowship and adventure for many. If you're experience is good that's all that counts. Take what's good and make it better.

We've been members for a number of years. While we are not that active we plan to remain members in the hope the club will evolve and improve with age. I suspect there will be bad times as well as good times for WBCCI. I hope the good outweighs the bad for you. It sounds like you're off to a good start.

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
We are full-timers who spend winters in the South. We travel with several others in our Airstreams. We have been WBCCI members since 1983 and while we have never held office beyond Unit Trustee we have hosted or co-hosted a number of rallies, including an unofficial get-together in Eastern Ontario for the past 25+ years. All that to say we have been involved. The events of the past five years ago, beginning with the shameful Thompson incident have narrowed our involvement and sense of belonging to our Unit to the exclusion of International and to a lesser degree, Region.

On our way home we spent a really delightful weekend at the Bluegrass and Dogwoods rally in Kentucky. Pot-luck meals, camp fires, casual and relaxed visiting and half a dozen kids! It don't get better than that. No ceremony or ritual, no gold row, just fun and fellowship. Made some new friends!!

WBCCI could be more like that if only International and the PIPs (who have too much to say about the running of the Club) would loosen up a bit, well a lot really. Some of our friends have given up and left and for several years there has been talk, just below the surface, about severing our Unit from International. More of us will be moving on if every attempt to improve and up-date the Club gets sabotaged.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
The events of the past five years ago, beginning with the shameful Thompson incident
Can you enlighten me with details about the above post? What was the shameful Thompson incident and what else, specifically, in the last 5 years has bothered you?

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #49
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
The events of the past five years ago, beginning with the shameful Thompson incident
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Can you enlighten me with details about the above post? What was the shameful Thompson incident and what else, specifically, in the last 5 years has bothered you?
Just go back and read some threads.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
My post should have read "five years or so".

So much has gone on that a primer covering the topic would be a couple of inches thick. I echo the advice to go back and read some of the old posts. While you do so please keep in mind that some of the very extreme posts are just that - very extreme.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I'll have a go at it. Bob Thompson was a region president that wrote a letter sent to all his co-leaders in the IBT that in effect said they were failing in their duties. Because of the letter a grievance was filed that Bob had breached the code of ethics by speaking negatively. His punitive sanctions were served upon him and his wife as they arrived at the region rally that he had planned and was about to host. They were expelled from the club and from taking part in his own rally. Bob contested the expulsion and was reinstated some time later and the reviewing committee recommended issuing an apology to Bob and his wife to be printed in the Blue Beret magazine but that apology was never forthcoming.

After that another outspoken member Leo G. of the members awareness group Save Wally was expelled without benefit of contesting his expulsion, to the tune of $27,000 legal fees from the club's funds. A legal fee was raised voluntarily among members to reinstate Leo and hold leadership accountable to correct missteps, election fraud, and wrongful liberties especially in regard to the leaders using the code of ethics as a tool against members for speaking out, rather than as it was instituted to resolve grievances between members, but the funds were seized by a former supporter and the lawsuit halted in exchange for his seat on the International President's new revision constitution committee.

It also was a big year for legal letters being sent to many members letters of cease and desist for using Wally's name or logo on their web pages or to name their rallies.

WBCCI member forums were closed cleansed and returned anew only to be once again closed and this time not returning for members' use. The web master put out a harmful script called the miserable hack for administrators on certain members IP addresses that scuttled access to the site and gave a message of server busy. Though data was collected and archived it was not accepted as a grievance and in fact threats of being grieved against were launched in reaction to the grievance being filed and was not acted upon.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
You can look in the WBCCI sub forum.
Here is one for starters
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ibt-44657.html
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #53
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I suggest you NOT read it. It is all very sad and toughly toxic. Go forth and remain ignorant to it all is my best advise. If you do read, you find a remarkable transformation in people. You will see a WB zealots like me turn his back on the system and you see people who were huge detractors of the system go on to actually make new rules. I strongly advise you just remain ignorant to it all and go on camping blissfully.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #54
Country Comfort Farm

1996 34' Excella
Andersonville , Georgia
The package describing the proposed changes were sent directly to each Unit President to maximize the time available for discussion at the Unit level. Region officiers were requested to assist when requested.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I did just that. We had about 50 members attend 3 discussion sessions on the changes. I wish a PowerPoint presentation had been included. Since it was not, I prepared and presented one. We had a Region VP and a Region PP in attendance at all sessions. Their input was interesting.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
I did just that. We had about 50 members attend 3 discussion sessions on the changes. I wish a PowerPoint presentation had been included. Since it was not, I prepared and presented one. We had a Region VP and a Region PP in attendance at all sessions. Their input was interesting.
You say their input was interesting. Would you care to elaborate?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wbcci