Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
I also don't have a dog in this fight - I'm not a member and probably never will be. One observation I do have though is that the current system isn't working. If left unchanged I would say your club is going down the crapper. If there is ANY chance that the new constitution will help the club prosper, I would say go for it. Good luck guys!

Old 04-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Open minded and neutral aren't the same thing; at the end of the day not taking a side can be far more harmful than not. Not acting in one form or another is in effect an endorsement of what is happening.

I do agree that age, per se, is not the problem. I suspect that CS Lewis got it right when he suggested that the desire to be a part of the inner ring and the impulse to defend that position is a major driver of bad behavior. This is quite independent of age.

I posted his talk on this topic in another thread. It takes a few minutes to read, but I think illuminates how people starting off with the best of motives, over time, become defenders of the indefensible.
Superb piece!!!! Erudite and poignant!

This dissertation evokes memories of our favorite parenting concepts. Simply stated: "treat everyone you meet as someone special and try to brighten their day, because everyone has an unrecognized internal struggle".

Our "circles" should be inclusive, not exclusive. Thank you, Boondocker......Zigi

Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #31
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Roberts Rules only apply to meetings, and the only business that can be conducted at such meetings is through the process of motions, debate, and voting, that is the deliberative process. Anything that takes place outside of such a meeting has absolutely nothing to do with Roberts Rules!
The core subject deals with meetings, there are many other sections that do not..

Quote:
The Members Caucus for instance is just a seminar, and will not deliberate because it does not do "business." There will be no motions, debate, and subsequent vote. So, Roberts Rules are not necessary and shouldn't even be used in that setting.
Quote:

Likewise, Direct Voting and the proposed amendment process do not take place in a meeting. Without a meeting there is no use for Roberts Rules.

Practically, the member caucus would be held at the International Rally. The rally is not mandated by the revised Constitution, the Membersí Caucus is.

The Membersí Caucus is an important part of the governing process. It is here where procedures are discussed and opinions and points of view are shared before members cast their votes.

It would be streamed and the strengths and weakness debated for any member with a computer to hear.

The importance of this meeting justifies it's inclusion in the Constitution.

Members would need to attend the meeting to enter into the discussion. There have been many suggestions that the International Rally needs more flexibility in setting dates and some question whether it should be held annually. While we would expect that the Caucus would normally be held at the Rally, what if a Rally is not held or is cancelled? This provision would give the Club the flexibility to schedule another venue for a Membersí Caucus.

On July 5th, the major business would typically be the Budget. The meeting on July 5th has never been well attended by the membership. There are usually less than 10 members present other than those that have to be there because of their office.

This move disconnects the International Rally from July 1-5. The Budget must be approved at the beginning of the fiscal year.

The committee strongly feels that only by having a direct vote can we assure every member can have a voice.

The weakness of the Delegate system was that a delegate was free to represent their Unitís or their personal views. It was clear from the actual vote that some personal views often won out.

The current delegate system is being replaced by both direct member voting and the Membersí Caucus. They are fully linked.

Direct member voting obviates the role of the delegate and we want to retain a deliberative forum through the Caucus.

Art

Sec. 1
There shall be an AnnualMembersí Caucus scheduled during the summer months or at a scheduled International Rally, if needed, to discuss proposed amendments to the Standard of Conduct or Constitution and other agenda items. Discussions at the Annual Membersí Caucus shall serve to inform members and the originators of proposed amendments about concerns, possible modifications and benefits of the proposal before a direct vote by members takes place.

Sec. 2
All WBCCI members mayattend and participate in the Annual Membersí Caucus.

Sec. 3
Headquarters will prepare theAnnual Membersí Caucus agenda which will include any proposed amendments to the Standard of Conduct or Constitution submitted in accordance with Article XVII, or any item proposed for discussion by the International President, the Executive Committee, the IBT, an Area or Unit. The agenda will be published in The Blue Beret and on the WBCCI website at least thirty (30) days prior to the Annual Membersí Caucus.

Sec. 4
The International Presidentshall preside at the Annual Membersí caucus.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
The real issue is not chronological, but cultural. Sure, there are people in positions of power who defend the status quo because of a vested interest. Given the infinite human ability to rationalize any behavior, however, I am confident they see themselves as the "true defenders of the Faith" rather than convenient beneficiaries. All that aside, the WBCCI is slowly dying because its culture does not resonate with many potential members.

You can't fix a cultural problem by changing a constitution or bylaws. Most cultural wars are fought by vocal minorities... and they take decades to resolve. On one level, the WBCC is stuck. They can't change without losing "old guard" members and if they don't change, they can't attract enough "new guard" members. This is why pushing the organization to the unit level is the only long-term answer. The WBCCI could survive as a confederation of diverse units, but it will not surive as a empire.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post

You can't fix a cultural problem by changing a constitution or bylaws. Most cultural wars are fought by vocal minorities... and they take decades to resolve. On one level, the WBCC is stuck. They can't change without losing "old guard" members and if they don't change, they can't attract enough "new guard" members. This is why pushing the organization to the unit level is the only long-term answer. The WBCCI could survive as a confederation of diverse units, but it will not surive as a empire.
Finally something that makes sense. I bet there aren't 20 people in the WBCCI that knows anything about the constitution, or cares to know. I was a Unit Pres. and never looked at it. All the paper in the world won't fix the club, it will have to come from people that care and do the right thing with out being pushed by rules.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master

My I ask a simple question about this "Member Caucus"?

I see in the "New Constitution" where the IBT President will "preside" over the "Annual Members Caucus Meeting".

Who gets to "schedule" the bloody thing? Just because you have the "authority" to "preside" over a meeting does not give you the authority to "schedule" a meeting. Two very different things. Oh, I guess we forgot that part. And you wonder why Don S. is not for this. The things does not even give the members the "authority" to schedule their own meeting or say by who in the "Member Caucus" that does.

I'm sure this is just one more thing that needs to be added to "change list"!

Just a "naysayer" that's all.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #35
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Don't you think a "schedule" issue would be in the bylaws?

Paul you're more than welcome to ask any questions directly to ALL the Revision committee members.

at WbcciRevision@Gmail.com

But you have not asked one question to date.

YouTube - A Few Good Man "You Can't Handle the Truth"

Hey the nice part is the answers can be posted here.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

I'm sorry,

I should have known the Revision Committee had already thought of this issue.

Sounds GREAT, you guys/ladies keep up the good work!

But I think "Shacksman" maybe onto something:

"All the paper in the world won't fix the club, it will have to come from people that care and do the right thing with out being pushed by rules."
Old 04-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Wow. Neat thread. It really makes me want to go out and join the club. NOT!

I love my Airstream. It is my second one. I love to camp with and without company and do not have trouble finding like minded people with and without Airstreams to camp with. So, with that in mind and having just finished reading this thread...why in the world would I even think of joining a club that has been in decline for 30 years and sounds as complicated and bureaucratic as the WBCCI?

Sorry, but it sounds to me like the club is doomed. Lets go camping and have fun.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
We had 3 Information sessions during our recent rally. I presented a summary of the revision and of the proposed Amendment. We had approximately 50 to 60 members in the meetings. In our Business meeting, 48 of 317 (15%) Units were represented and the vote was unanimous.

Our delegate was instructed to vote on changes as he understands the memberships' wishes. Those include:

1. Keep unit / delegate voting. If MALs vote individually or send a delegate, that is ok too.

2. Eliminate the Nominating Committee Recommendation. Report out ALL qualified candidates.

3. Demonstrate how the changes will cut costs.

4. Share draft Bylaws with the Delegates BEFORE the vote. If necessary, table the revision until the Bylaws can be reviewed by the delegates.

I would like to hear feedback from other units membership!
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbstreamer View Post
Our delegate was instructed to vote on changes as he understands the memberships' wishes. Those include:

1. Keep unit / delegate voting. If MALs vote individually or send a delegate, that is ok too.

2. Eliminate the Nominating Committee Recommendation. Report out ALL qualified candidates.

3. Demonstrate how the changes will cut costs.

4. Share draft Bylaws with the Delegates BEFORE the vote. If necessary, table the revision until the Bylaws can be reviewed by the delegates.
Just for clarification, are you saying that your delegate will vote NO on the final vote (to adopt or not adopt the revised constitution) if these conditions are not met? Or is he free to vote however he thinks best?
Old 04-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Actually the vote would be FOR the perfected document that contains 3 of the 4.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Chelsea , Michigan
It's really hard to remove those big numbers from an Airstream.

Some people spend their time doing weird stuff like making recreation political, parking on a concrete slab and calling it camping, using martinis to make everything all better, and watching TV.

If I ever get to that point, I hope someone will remind me of the essence of William Watson's poem "The Things That Are More Excellent," excerpted here:

Tired of the Senate's barren brawl,
An hour with silence we prefer,
Where statelier rise the woods than all
Yon towers of talk at Westminster.
Let this man prate and that man plot,
On fame or place or title bent:
The votes of veering crowds are not
The things that are more excellent.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #42
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I resisted but the temptation got the best of me....

How about the WBCCI look at it's own history? I have. The first few years were pretty ideal in my opinion. Were all the changes for the best? Maybe you all might just consider going back to the way it used to be. For those interested, the Sierra Nevada Unit has an excellent website. The history of those early years is very interesting.

You know, even Wally put his dollar in the kitty back then on Caravans?

I find the statement Mr Nicholson says at 1:31 very apropos in the You tube clip above....

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wbcci