Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Rob, I was informed by the "Mystery Caller" that I was on the list.... Well, sure glad in that case I am also on the Birthday Bash list cause if I do get booted also I would likely lose my $500 International fee. Wait - I couldn't really afford that fee so I didn't sign up. Nevermind, I am good.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Didn't some of these people fight against fascism and ethnic cleansing in their life? I can only assume that the phrase "quality and not quantity" equates to the same. If this is truly their definition of quality than they can put me on the list as well!!

For any of the IBTmembers that may read this, please go to my profile (if you know how) and make sure you get my address and name right for the letter.

It is like being on the Titanic and trying to save the SHIP! It is the people that you should be saving! The people are the very essence of the club, not the club for the sake of the club. Get over yourselves already.

As previously stated here these people have now kicked out the guy that saved the very identity of this club which they were trying to broker away so they could maintain their "status" in brand X motorhomes. And then they pretend to covet this identity purely for the sake of meanness in an attempt to take this identity from the rest of us that pay our own way. Some of this may belong in other threads but as a current WBCCI member, a VAC member, and a human being will you please explain to me and my family what you mean by "quality"? Don't bother giving me the official written version of your definition, just give me the 10 words or less definition that all of us down here can understand. I will not file suit against you, I just need to know who the fool is.

Yes, I am still working on it.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Grievances???

Probation????

Termination????

From a camping club?????

You gotta be kidding! Hell I've never known anyone to get kicked out of an amateur radio club, even the Collins Collectors Association. I thought these guys were bad but they ain't nothing compares to the WBCCI "Central Committee" clowns.

I do remember that members could get kicked out of the Canadian Police Collectors Association but it really took some doing. One clown was caught with a number of fake Toronto Police hat badges and he got the boot. Another one (a cop) was caught stealing hat badges from a department and he got kicked out of the club too.

But to be kicked out of a camping club..............???????

Strange, isn't it?

MisterMike
Old 02-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #44
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
there are so many 'bullies' in the world today. look at iran, no korea...... i can only feel sorry for someone who has to resort to 'bullying'. a man would face his opponent and state his reasons. a woman would also do the same thing but add that her child will no longer play withthe other child. calling and not identifying yourself is certainly a looserss way of handling the situation. it makes me wonder how close you all got to their nerves and what are they afraid of. i take no position in this except to hope for the ibt to find someone who is an adult to handle things so that all the other members can somehow trust the decisions being made. perhaps someone with advanced ambassadorial tendencies can apply for the job and rescue the ibt.
it is not nice of them to bite the hand that pays for their positions, travel.....
hopefully i am not going to be 'let-go' because of this as i am only a mal.
thanks pat
Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #45
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post
Grievances???
Probation????
Termination????
From a camping club?????
I'm with you, buddy! Aside from the genuinely creepy feeling of getting a call like that... the 'cloak n' dagger' style phone calls strike me as hilarious! I understand the struggle is over a respected, historic club, and a lot of money being thrown around and arguably squandered - I do appreciate that.

But c'mon, tell me the mental image of a bunch of guys sitting around in suspenders and bolo ties writing a list of who'll get a horse's head in his bed tomorrow morning isn't hysterical!!

Of all the sadness and serious things to worry about happening in this world, does this really rise to that level? I don't know about you guys, but it seems an awful lot like we're allowing these people to emotionally hijack a fun, socially-fulfilling hobby... and twist it into an awfully corny soap opera. I guess we each need to decide whether or not we want to continue being actors in that soap.

I'll continue to try and make it to events - even local WBCCI chapter happenings. And I'll be glad to pitch in to help out the local people who make it possible, but I won't be giving hard earned dollars to support this Godfather nonsense!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:47 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Scratching head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
I'm with you, buddy! Aside from the genuinely creepy feeling of getting a call like that... the 'cloak n' dagger' style phone calls strike me as hilarious! I understand the struggle is over a respected, historic club, and a lot of money being thrown around and arguably squandered - I do appreciate that.

But c'mon, tell me the mental image of a bunch of guys sitting around in suspenders and bolo ties writing a list of who'll get a horse's head in his bed tomorrow morning isn't hysterical!!

Of all the sadness and serious things to worry about happening in this world, does this really rise to that level? I don't know about you guys, but it seems an awful lot like we're allowing these people to emotionally hijack a fun, socially-fulfilling hobby... and twist it into an awfully corny soap opera. I guess we each need to decide whether or not we want to continue being actors in that soap.

I'll continue to try and make it to events - even local WBCCI chapter happenings. And I'll be glad to pitch in to help out the local people who make it possible, but I won't be giving hard earned dollars to support this Godfather nonsense!
Brad, you're posts are a perfect example that keeps me sratching my head, wondering why??? With all that's going on, I read your post and say, yup, another one that's gonna tell the leadership to pound sand.. BUT, then you state that you're going to continue to make it to WBCCI happenings.. why? Yes, it's about the unit, but any support tells the fools at the helm you're still on board. I just don't get it.

I know, I know - working from the inside.. yeah, that really works.. you'll just be put on some list and railroaded out.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 02-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Hmm......this is an American camping club and in America freedom of speech is allowed, right? In America we don't ostracize folks for voicing their opinions and concerns. This whole situation is playing out quite interesting and shocking. We LOVE our New England Unit and the folks in it! Yes.......some have strong opinions but that isn't due cause to throw them out. Every voice SHOULD be heard and consideration given.

We do thank Leo and his crew for bringing it out to the front line, where our dollars are being spent. It's making many folks rethink, is it worth it? Thank you ALL (Leo, Rob, Carol, Bob T and many more) for all your contributions and concerns for the club. We all do watch the happenings on the Forum.

It's all about camping! Right? So Rob & Leo, please continue to hold your rallies and just call them Forum Rallies. The bottom line is Airstream get togethers. The fun of all those shiny tin cans lined up in a row or circle. The reason why we joined in the first place.

Three cheers for Rob, Leo, Bob T and the group!

Best,
Gail
NEU Membership Chair.

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
Old 02-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
I was not even aware that there are WBCCI Airstream only parks. I was aware that there are Airstream only parks. Are they all WBCCI only? If they are, maybe they should be made aware of their potential downturn in business. Are they subsidized by WBCCI?
I can only speak for the Minnesota Airstream Park. It is an Airstream only park, but it is NOT a WBCCI only park. Although the park started as a WBCCI members only park in 1970, that is not the case today. We are a 125 Airstream owners co-op, and we have several sites and a rally site available for transient, short term, and longer term rental. We welcome all Airstream owners, whether or not they are members of gthe WBCCI. We have some of the finest and nicest Airstream owners that you will ever meet; those that are or are not WBCCI members. I hope you can come and pay us a visit sometime soon!

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
...BUT, then you state that you're going to continue to make it to WBCCI happenings.. why? Yes, it's about the unit, but any support tells the fools at the helm you're still on board. I just don't get it.
I Gotcha, and I totally respect that POV. I think in other circumstances I might feel the same; "If everybody keeps going, the bad guys keep winning." But to clarify, I'm not a WBCCI member; we haven't joined with pomp and circumstance - or left with a flourish. I have no aversion to structured clubs... but I don't need a group to feel validated, either.

I'm just a guy with a cool trailer. And because this is a hobby for me, one hobby among many, I feel like I ought to participate in the aspects of it that I enjoy... and shrug off the parts I don't. Frankly, I don't have a dog in this fight.

Now, in the context of this big, historic group, that may come off sounding unprincipled, short-sighted and even flippant. But I'm not that way about my family, politics, or any number of other social and civic responsibilities that I go up to bat for all the time; I'm loyal, principled - and occasionally boycott stores, support this cause or that, etc.

Pet adoption vs. breeding. Abortion. Religion. Gay rights. Guns. Immigration. The environment... I have strong, deeply held viewpoints about SO many things!

So I guess when it comes to Airstream - for Melissa and me, a hobby - I'm gonna have to let others take up the fight to get these crooks out of office. Why should I let some knucklehead I'll never meet RUIN my enjoyment of the hobby? Melissa and I enjoy meeting wonderful people, so if the natural place for those people to congregate is at rallies, I guess we'll attend a few rallies. We went to the 4C Balloon Rally a few years ago and just loved meeting everyone there, even though we didn't have our trailer with us (tow vehicle broke en route). This past summer I drove up to Madison for the day and met a bunch of forums members and a few new faces as well, including the current and past presidents of the Northern Illinois Unit.

So while it might look like the very act of being part of a "head count" is a tacit approval of "business as usual", I have to weigh that against missing out on getting the most of Airstream ownership. I'll skip getting my big red numbers at this point -- frankly, it's hard to see the value of paying these people to plan rallies that I won't be able to attend 95% of! But if these "progressive" chapters continue to let me participate when we can, paying as we go, then why let those yahoos at the national level influence me?

I'm not in a position, time-wise, to begin planning a whole new club. I'll certainly applaud (and will attend) alternative get-togethers when I have the choice, like Alumapalooza or some of the other forums-based events. But I think skipping a great rally, or luncheon, or tour... just to send a message? It's just letting those guys control me. And I'm not even in their club!

Maybe a compromise: if and when I attend these events, I'm perfectly happy to also send a letter to the headquarters, letting them know why we loved the experience, but adding that we won't support them with our membership. That may be a more direct, and clearer message than sitting at home could ever be.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #50
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here, here. I'm with you Brad. No sense breaking your head over stuff that, in the big scope of life, doesn't matter a hoot. At least to me.

As my old daddy used to say, "In a hundred years, we'll all look back on this and laugh."

All due respect though to people whose work hard so that others can enjoy club doings. I don't mean to insult your good work.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
I'm already laughing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Here, here. I'm with you Brad. No sense breaking your head over stuff that, in the big scope of life, doesn't matter a hoot. At least to me.

As my old daddy used to say, "In a hundred years, we'll all look back on this and laugh."

All due respect though to people whose work hard so that others can enjoy club doings. I don't mean to insult your good work.
Laughing with Leo at the WBCCI that is.... oh the mistakes they make. Laughing about thei ineptitude at balancing a budget, laughing at my letter they sent me from their lawyers, laughing at their list they have of disgruntled members (and now it's growing) and better yet, laughing at why they do this and can't see that this IS just a CAMPING club of Airstream enthusiasts...

Oh, my stomach's a little sore from the laughter!!
Courtesy parking

Old 02-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Our lists!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Rob, I was informed by the "Mystery Caller" that I was on the list.... Well, sure glad in that case I am also on the Birthday Bash list cause if I do get booted also I would likely lose my $500 International fee. Wait - I couldn't really afford that fee so I didn't sign up. Nevermind, I am good.
That's right Tim, the Birthday Bash guys have a list too!!! Well, actually two lists.

One list of those who're attending the BASH, and another list of those on the waiting list..

Are you on one of the Bash lists?

Who's coming list - Who’s Coming « Baker's Acres of Chenango

Who's Wating list - Who’s Waiting « Baker's Acres of Chenango

Unlike the WBCCI, our lists are not secret. Go here to get on our waiting list:

Baker's Acres of Chenango

People who are on our list are even collaborating, out in the open here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...tml#post808116

We LOVE our lists, our lists are something we feel very special about.
Courtesy parking

Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #53
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Aage's probably right about telephone harassment. Different states and provinces have different standards for that. Call the phone company and see how they handle it. As I recall they trace all calls (easy to do) and when you get the harassing one, there's a code to enter.

So far as expelling someone from a nonprofit, there may be state law on that as well. It has to be done fairly and with some due process in Colorado. An appeal to the membership is permitted by state law here. It's meant to be difficult to expel someone, but, as always, different laws in different jurisdictions.

Gene
Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
This isn't the first instance of telephone harassment as a result of posts on AirForums. It happened to me some weeks ago, too, but had nothing to do with the WBCCI. There are a few nuts in every large crowd.
Lynn
Old 02-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #55
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I thought you had to be at least 16 to own a vehicle. Wow grown men harassing people on the phone...
Old 02-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
There are a few nuts in every large crowd.
Lynn,
how true....some crowds just have more than others!!!!
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #57
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Aage's probably right about telephone harassment. Different states and provinces have different standards for that. Call the phone company and see how they handle it. As I recall they trace all calls (easy to do) and when you get the harassing one, there's a code to enter.
That's exactly how it works here in Ontario. The technology has been around since the year Gimmel. It's only up to the legislative bodies to use it.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I gotta Feeling!

Imagine this. Small groups of support bursting spontaneously out into the open at WBCCI events with Vote for Leo signs and buttons. That is waay cool and more fun than an arm band or a label on a badge.

Vote for Leo!! YES!!!

It appears that sightings have already begun to take place.

And look here...members of the Big Bend FL unit headed for the FL State Rally and guess what?! They are hosting a number of cook-outs and putting this sign up...

Let's Do It!!!!

Old 02-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Carol,
Is this a current picture? We are at Fla state and need to be on the look out for these folks.
We are the second trailer from the gate, front row , vintage section
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 02-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Rick, please keep us posted. You can be our eyes and ears for those of us unable to attend. Yes the picture is brand new! Let us know what develops down there. Wish I was in Florida! Is it snowing there, it's snowing here? ARGH!
Closed Thread