Old 07-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Kentucky or Southern Indiana unit ??

OK, so my wife and I think we will at least try the WBCCI, to see what the membership and or activities are like.

BUT.. I have made several attempts now to contact the Kentucky unit.. 1st choice, not knowing any better about what unit might serve us best.. but have not recieved any kind of reply.. Is this normal? Everybody is out camping? Are there any members of this unit active on this forum? Can anybody tell me about them? or SoIndiana? The region5 rally is going to be held 20 miles from our house in Sept, heck as long as we have a floor in by then we can make that pull...

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I can't tell you about those paticular units, but I can tell you there is normally very little "unit activity" in the summer as most everyone is on vacation, caravaning, or going to the international rally.

I would just e-mail them, and be patient. They will get back to you.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
When I was looking for info on the Wally Club it took 3 weeks for a reply from the Northern Illinois Unit. Joined Wisconsin instead.
They were indeed out caravaning. However it seems to me that someone from the Unit should be checking mail every couple of days.
Don't forget to check out the SaveWally Unit guide. SaveWally's Wally Byam Caravan Club 2009 Unit Guide Maybe there's some info there you can use in the mean time.

Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
I contacted the Southern Illinois Unit about joining and attending their rally this weekend at Giant City State Park using the contact information on their website. That was over a week ago and I still haven't received a reply to my e-mail. I was on the fence about joining, then decided to pull the trigger, now I'm back on the fence.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Since Tom's e-mail was directed to the Northern Illinois membership chairman's personal e-mail account and the chairman was in Alaska with no WIFI, you can not expect someone else to be snooping in his personal e-mail account. Perhaps this may mean that these type of inquires should be going to the unit's general e-mail where it can be monitored by more than one person.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Perhaps this may mean that these type of inquires should be going to the unit's general e-mail where it can be monitored by more than one person.
I have attempted contact through:

"contact us" link on thier page (twice, week apart)

"membership" comments page on thier web page

e-mail to the presidents e-mail addy as posted on the web page.

e-mail to 1st vice presidents e-mail addy as posted on the web page.

while I do realize it's camping season, you would think SOMEBODY is watching the store and can at least give a "whats up" ? Esp. since they have a rally this weekend coming up.. someone should be doing some kind of club buisness in prep for that, or at least that was my thought.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Old 07-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Western , Kentucky
I don't want to be too discouraging, but after my initial e-mails were also unanswered, I twice showed up at a Kentucky Rally and a Region Rally to attempt to meet some members to find out if it was right for us. I could hardly get anyone to even talk to me. In my opinion if you read the posts about what is wrong with WBCCI they are describing this unit. I just depends on what you are looking for.

Greg
Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Mark,

I sympathize with your frustration--you should be able to get somebody to talk to you. Admittedly this is probably the worst time of the year to reach someone in the WBCCI.

I don't know anyone from either unit, but from their web sites, Kentucky appears to be the most active. Have you tried phoning the membership chairperson at the number listed on the Kentucky Unit "committees" page, Kentucky Committees . (The same phone number is given for the Kentucky membership chairperson on the WBCCI.org web page.)

The other thing you could do is make your application directly to the WBCCI Headquarters. See information on the WBCCI.org membership page, WBCCI.org Seems like you should be able to get someone from the unit to talk to you first, though.

Good luck,
Nuvi
Old 07-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJones View Post
I don't want to be too discouraging, but after my initial e-mails were also unanswered, I twice showed up at a Kentucky Rally and a Region Rally to attempt to meet some members to find out if it was right for us. I could hardly get anyone to even talk to me. In my opinion if you read the posts about what is wrong with WBCCI they are describing this unit. I just depends on what you are looking for.

Greg
Not good, not good.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
DD
I wouldn't waste the time or the money . I have done the same thing. I have requested info also without success. SO I GAVE UP. I cant even get my neighbor from SPRING VALLEY to answer my questions. So we are content with just campin with AIRFORUMS friends and letting it go at that. We have fun anyway and don't have the hassle of politics or having to pay dues or nuffin.
SO Come and join us in Michigan the end of the month at DETROIT-Metro Rally at Milan and see how much fun we have.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
So we are content with just campin with AIRFORUMS friends and letting it go at that. We have fun anyway and don't have the hassle of politics or having to pay dues or nuffin.
SO Come and join us in Michigan the end of the month at DETROIT-Metro Rally at Milan and see how much fun we have.

Mike,
Thanks for the invite.. I SERIOUSLY doubt we will be camping by the end of the month... Need to finish windows, fix floor in at least two areas, and then there is the roof.. we would be campable then, though no LP or plumbing.. tent camping with A/C I guess..lol. and a shiney tent, well, not so shiney (yet) tent. But, hitting it for a couple hours a day, will be more once we get to some of the "indoor" stuff, it's pretty muggy right now, once we make it to interior stuff, A/C will be in effect.

Mark

2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
OH I see Mark, A LABOR OF LOVE. Well good luck to you, I didn't realize you had a bunch of work to do. Im sure there will be other times. We still would love to have ya. We had a couple come from Canada Last yr to the Spring "We Can Tow IT" Rally at Grand Lake St. Mary's, their Bambi was stripped inside. They had brought a tent to put the stuff they bought at Factory so they had some place to sleep. They had fun anyway. DragonWagon brought hi s '56 Ithink it is , to Milan last yr there was almost nothing in it either, it was instresting.
Later and good luck
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
I cant believe we are talking about the same group of people!

Dakota's Dad - I am so sorry you did not get a reply from the KY unit! I do know a lot of the membership is on the road at the moment but still does not excuse your not getting a reply. I know these people too well to think it was a snub.

CaptainJones - I am also surprised they seemed cold when you visited with them. This was a recent visit? My experience has been people are walking up to my rig as I am parking and being treated royally!

Prior to moving to Kentucky a few years ago, I was really put off by a local unit (NOT in Kentucky!) and was apprehensive about getting involved with WBCCI again but, one rally with these folks and we signed up immediately.

I can assure you they are some of the coolest people I have ever met. We had our installation rally in t-shirts and sandals. Some of the best campfire storytellers I have ever heard. Also some of the best senses of humor I have encountered.

They also have a solid support system. Case in point, one member became ill during the last rally. He had to be taken to the hospital and was in no shape to drive his rig & toad back. As you might imagine, his wife was distressed and while capable of handling the problem was pretty focused on family. Within two hours the group had a visitation chain going and 2 members (that were not at the rally) dropped everything to come down, spend the night at the local lodge, and drive the rig back to their home.

Dues are only a dollar - go figure.

Please accept my apology on behalf of the KY unit and- since you are just down the road feel free to contact me off line. Also please do give us another try. WBCCI and Airforums people are some of the best folks I have ever been associated with.

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #14

2001 30' Excella
Carterville , Illinois
Steve,
My sincere apologies for the problems you have had contacting the Southern Illinois Unit. Thier membership chair has been at Mayo Clinic for the past 2 weeks but that doesn't help you very much. I'm including the quote about the rally from their last newsletter and I don't know much else about it right now. We won't be able to be there, but I will let them know that you might be able to attend. Again, my sincere apologies.
Louise
Free Rally July 17-19,2009 CAMPGROUND GIANT CITY STATE PARK
The free rally will be at the campground at Giant City State park. All of the sites are shaded, you may have to pick and choose which site you back into with your size rig. There is electric at all sites and a few water hook-ups. Shower house on the grounds. Cost will be no more than $20.00 night. Your editor could not find someone to clarify the exact fee however. Come and enjoy the scenery of the park, and the Giant City Lodge offers great meals. The campground is approximately 9 miles south of IL 13 on Giant City Road. Turn south at the stop light on the west of edge of Carbondale, There is a McDonalds in the northwest corner of that intersection.