Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-31-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Denis4x4's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,111
Just Finished Wally's Book....

....TRAILER TRAIL HERE AND ABROAD published in 1960.

The man was a genuine promoter of AS products! Couldn't help but wonder if the non use of the AS in the WBCCI was a shrewd move to personally maintain the club after selling the Airstream company. If so, it shoots a lot of holes in the Save Wally contingent's arguement.

I also suspect that if Wally was still around, He would drum the guy in Region 11 (I hope I got that right) that turned down the FCU charter right out of the club. The FCU appears to address the concepts Wally promoted in the formation of the WBCCI.

As soon as the FCU is chartered, I'll send in my application for membership.
__________________

__________________
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Chaplain Kent's Avatar
 
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
....TRAILER TRAIL HERE AND ABROAD published in 1960.
Where did you find a copy of the book?
__________________

__________________
Chaplain Kent
2015 Coachman Freedom Express 19RBS, Chummy IV- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast
 
flyfshr's Avatar

 
1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: I currently do not own a 2nd Airstream
Posts: 4,319
Images: 40
Funny, I just finished it too. Great read and an interesting way to get to know Wally a little bit. He sure knew how to promote the product and motivate people. Be interesting to see if the upcoming Capetown to Cairo Caravan will follow closely the same route of its predecesor. I purchased my copy on Ebay after watching every one that came up on auction. It had many more pages than I thought.

Brad
FF
__________________
4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
Trailer Travel Here And Abroad

I too have read the book (got it on ebay) and found that he was an "interesting character" to say the least!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
Couldn't help but wonder if the non use of the AS in the WBCCI was a shrewd move to personally maintain the club after selling the Airstream company.
Except...Wally died in 1962 and Airstream wasn't sold until 1967. Wally was long gone ~

Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Janets Husband's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 865
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Where did you find a copy of the book?
Try this link: Google Book Search and type in Wally Byam. You can find the book for loan, check the results on libraries. It's all over the west coast at state and collage libraries. Your search will show which libraries carry it in your state.
__________________
Peace
Gary
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
cosmotini's Avatar

 
1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,057
Images: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
Try this link: Google Book Search and type in Wally Byam. You can find the book for loan, check the results on libraries. It's all over the west coast at state and collage libraries. Your search will show which libraries carry it in your state.
Ditto that!

I read it about a year ago.

It took my local library about a week to get a copy from the Illinois State library.
__________________
Dennis

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Denis4x4's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,111
"...then you can try and elaborate if you wish..."

From my perspective, I see the WBCCI relationship with AirStream in the same way I relate the Good Sam Club/Art Rouse and TraiLer Life Publications and the Harley Owners Group (HOG) and Harley-Davidson. One hand washes the other!

I know that there are some who think that Wally walked on water and to change the name of the WBCCI is to dishonor his memory. Quite frankly, after reading the book, I came to the conclusion that Wally was a progressive thinker and a name change to include "AirStream" in the same breath as Wally Byam wouldn't hurt his feelings a bit.

I have read David Schwamborn's posting before. The fact that his mother was on the AirStream payroll pretty much confirms my thoughts that the WBCCI was as much a promotional vehicle for AS as it was for the pleasure of AS owners.

It's too bad we can't get somebody to do an electronic secance(sp?) with Wally and find out what he really thinks about a name change and put the issue to rest!
__________________
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
cosmotini's Avatar

 
1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,057
Images: 83
Found a new book!

Here's a new book that may be of interest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASDummy.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	30260  
__________________
Dennis

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:36 PM   #9
AIR #8691
 
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 381
Great cartoon. I wonder if such a book will ever be created.
There is so much information on this forum, on the web, and in print that someone should consolidate all the Airstream maintenance, restoration advice, safety tips, etc., and put it between two covers and sell it.
__________________
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Denis4x4's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,111
People in the Save Wally contingent seem to have reading comprehension problems. I did not advocate a name change, only wondered out loud what Wally might think of the issue. Quite frankly, I have a great deal of admiration for his promotional skills. That said, the WBCCI is still a promotional tool for Thor with little or any financial investment on their part.

Quite frankly, combining Wally Byam with AirStream would be a fitting tribute to the guy that started both organizations.

Finally, the strident additude of some of the WBCCI members is probably one of the reasons that membership is not growing in relation to the number of units sold.


This might be a good string to close before somebody gets hurt beating a dead horse!
__________________
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,352
Hello ,

My own view of this issue is that the history of airstream and wally Byam
is just a part of the whole allure of the vintage airstream for alot of folks.
The people that were involved in the caravans and rallys ,the way of life.
See More Do More Live More (wally byam) in an airstream ..was the idea.
So there is a connection with the man and the machine and many do not want to dissolve the two ,and so the desire to keep it together is important .Wally certainly was an idealist and wanted the airstream to be
more than just another trailer ,and its an icon today .Today,s world definately
has changed from the past and many want the the airstream experience
so the popularity is strong. It is fitting to continue to recognize Wally Byam
for his airstream trailer and his successes with it ,after all are we not all
benefitting from him right now? Each of us owning an airstream ? No he didn't
walk on water for sure ,but he did get airstream a legacy and a following
that no other travel trailer company could ever imagine .I myself am not
going to mix business politics in here as Im sure there were some as there
are in any company for alot of reasons .Frankly ,Im not interested in any of that .the fact of the matter is WBCCI is airstream they started together
and so it seems logical that they stay that way .Im enjoying my 60 trdwnd
immensly and thank Wally byam for it .

Scott
__________________
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
aproned dad
 
roamingwesty's Avatar
 
1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 46
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Hello ,

My own view of this issue is that the history of airstream and wally Byam
is just a part of the whole allure of the vintage airstream for alot of folks.
The people that were involved in the caravans and rallys ,the way of life.
See More Do More Live More (wally byam) in an airstream ..was the idea.
So there is a connection with the man and the machine and many do not want to dissolve the two ,and so the desire to keep it together is important .Wally certainly was an idealist and wanted the airstream to be
more than just another trailer ,and its an icon today .Today,s world definately
has changed from the past and many want the the airstream experience
so the popularity is strong. It is fitting to continue to recognize Wally Byam
for his airstream trailer and his successes with it ,after all are we not all
benefitting from him right now? Each of us owning an airstream ? No he didn't
walk on water for sure ,but he did get airstream a legacy and a following
that no other travel trailer company could ever imagine .I myself am not
going to mix business politics in here as Im sure there were some as there
are in any company for alot of reasons .Frankly ,Im not interested in any of that .the fact of the matter is WBCCI is airstream they started together
and so it seems logical that they stay that way .Im enjoying my 60 trdwnd
immensly and thank Wally byam for it .

Scott
Well I wish I was eloquent like that. That's exactly how I feel.

Our ownership of the trailer is not even a year long. As soon as we became proud owners we looked for comradery. WBCCI was a natural direction. Then we saw movement to distinguish the club from the man. Just kinda wierd for us, to see resentment in one's own history and origin so strong to want to re-write it.

Then I researched a little more and found that the local chapter's usual destinations are not where we'd like to tow our trailer to. We don't want to see less or see the same, yearly. We want to see more. I want my young kids to see more with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
As soon as the FCU is chartered, I'll send in my application for membership.
I'm right behind you in the line.

Don't mean to sidetrack the topic, so to get back to it: I'll have to find a copy of that book too.

Ricky
__________________
roamingwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,756
E mail Wally and ask him.

Easy to do he is Airforums #1. AndyR is #2.

If you get a reply...
__________________
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
streamer23's Avatar
 
NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,448
Images: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Easy to do he is Airforums #1. AndyR is #2.

If you get a reply...

Wally's been saved.
__________________

__________________
Mike

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tracing a Wally Byam Club Member Number Simplyspent Airstream History 40 03-01-2017 10:45 AM
Anyone discover a fuel friendly float setting? IPM Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 18 05-11-2004 12:04 PM
finished and put up new curtains striker On The Road... 2 01-12-2003 08:22 PM
1973 Furnace Book 74SovereignInt. Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 4 10-08-2002 08:59 PM
Does anyone know #16019? Pahaska Our Community 15 06-30-2002 05:25 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.