Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to desidou Send a message via Yahoo to desidou
Joining WBCCI?

My husband and I are new to AS and we are still undecided on joining the WBCCI. (We just picked up our 2005 19' Bambi CCD a few weeks ago) We have a few questions and would appreciate anyone willing to share their input and/or experiences/advice with us.

We're proud members of this forum, but are not sure we're ready to make the leap to WBCCI membership yet, your answers/advice/experiences will help us determine what we would like to do...

1) Are we required to put the red numbers on the front of our Bambi? We are not sure we would like to do this even if we were members of WBCCI. Is this a requirement for being a member of the club?

2) Are there rules about what you can and cannot do while camping with your Airstream if you are a member of WBCCI? We were told by a campground owner this past weekend that he hosted an AS rally last year and that AS people were not allowed to drink alchol outside of their camper -- is this true?

3) Will young members fit in with the club? We're in our late 20's/early 30's and we are not sure that there are many other AS'ers our age out there. My impression is that WBCCI members are much older than we are and we would not have a lot in common with them...

4) We're not interested in participating in rallies/caravans -- will there still be a place for us in the club? We prefer to camp alone since we find it more relaxing, will be 'left out' if we don't want to go camping with the group all of the time.

We do like the courtesy parking idea and the idea behind the WBCCI club itself, we're just trying to be more informed so we can make the decision that suits our lifestyle best.

Any advice/experiences/suggestions are welcome!

Thanks -
AIR # 8298
desidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Check out this thread, we started this one a couple of months ago. http://www.airforums.com/forum...=Joining+WBCCI

We are mid 30's/40's and we were welcomed generously by our regional club. Not all clubs are welcoming to younger or sometimes vintage owners. It really depends on the club. Shop around, most clubs will be happy to invite you to their events, even when you aren't a member yet. You can just hang out for the day. Our group did not really have a schedule except for meals and they were all doing their own thing during the day. Also call your local region and ask them to send you a newsletter. That should give you a good barometer on the group. We had happy hour both nights outside the trailers, however some campgrounds do not allow the consumption of alcohol. Maybe that is why they did not drink outside their trailers.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desidou
not sure we're ready to make the leap to WBCCI membership yet, your answers/advice/experiences will help us determine what we would like to do...

-
let me see if I can have a crack at some of these....

1) Are we required to put the red numbers on the front of our Bambi? We are not sure we would like to do this even if we were members of WBCCI. Is this a requirement for being a member of the club?

No. A common practice these days is to put them on a piece of clear plexi, and stick that in the window when attending a rally. Or suction cups on the outside...whatever works for you.

2) Are there rules about what you can and cannot do while camping with your Airstream if you are a member of WBCCI? We were told by a campground owner this past weekend that he hosted an AS rally last year and that AS people were not allowed to drink alchol outside of their camper -- is this true?

No. first of all, nobody is going to tell me what I can and can not do when I'm camping, except, of course, for my wife, the local law enforcement officials (where applicable), and perhaps the campground ownership.
Seriously, though, I know of no such rule in the wbcci. others can and likely will correct me if I'm wrong, but the only "rule" I know of is really just a common sense suggestion that should apply no matter where in public you're camping, what model camper you're sleeping in, or with whom you're camping: keep it low-key, and don't cause a scene. heck, one of our rallies last year was the "Wine and Dine rally", where we had a wine tasting after dinner.

3) Will young members fit in with the club? We're in our late 20's/early 30's and we are not sure that there are many other AS'ers our age out there. My impression is that WBCCI members are much older than we are and we would not have a lot in common with them...

We were afraid of the same thing, but found that our local unit has quite a few younger members. Even the older folks seem to be fairly young at heart, imo.

4) We're not interested in participating in rallies/caravans -- will there still be a place for us in the club? We prefer to camp alone since we find it more relaxing, will be 'left out' if we don't want to go camping with the group all of the time.

Ok, now you lost me. the "cc" in wbcci is for "caravan club". now, sure, I can't go on any caravans, really, because I just don't have that much vacation, and most of them go for long periods. So I go to a few rallies, instead, which are generally weekend events. without either of these activities, I don't see the point. don't think I'd pay the 50 bucks or whatever it is, just for potential "courtesy parking". But hey, its a free country.

my advice would be to check out your local unit...talk to some folks, and try to get a feel for it. Go to a couple of rallies. Or join as a "member at large" for a year, and go to some rallies with different units...try them on for size. You might find one you like.

When I bought my airstream a few years ago, I had no intention of joining any "clubs". I just wanted a camper. Camping has turned into a social event for us, now, which is something I never intended, nor expected. I don't think we went on a single outing last year without a group of some sort, now that I think of it.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:39 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Answers to your questions:

1. No you don't have to put the numbers on. I don't put them on my trailer since I don't want the ghosting that occurs when the numbers are removed after being on several years. For some folks its a turn off when buying a trailer used. You will get some heat from some of the dieharts but they won't boot you out.

2. Supposedly they don't like you walking around displaying liquor during rallies. I keep my beer cans in a coolie. They can't tell what I'm drinking. In many cases public facilities do not allow liquor consumption.

3. Depends on the unit you belong to. I'm 57 and am considered one of the younger folk. We do have a few couples younger but I can't say the older folks didn't welcome us and take us under their wings. Now understand that this group may have different interests and my idea of rallies and camping sometimes differs from theirs.

4. If you don't plan on participating, then probably you may want to consider why you are joining.

There are lots of WBCCI threads that you might search out and read. Again keep in mind that each local unit has their own flavor and identity. So some of us have had good experiences and others have not. Also know that you can join as a member at large. It cost a few bucks more, but you will be unaffiliatied with any local unit.

Next year will be a decision point for me. A couple of the younger folk, me being one will be doing two rallies for the local unit. It will be a rally for folks who want to camp together but there will be no organized games, no breakfasts, no tours to the local city hall, etc., etc.,. It will be based on enjoying each others company with enjoyment of the outdoors and the silver trailers that we own. Sort of a Moraine View clone. If it falls flat, meaning no one attends, then I will know what my direction will be.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
No you are not required ... although I have heard that some members will hassle you about it. This has not been my experience (I refuse to put the numbers on and ruin the finish).

Quote:
Depends on the Unit. I have stayed at the Washington Land Yacht Harbor during the Salmon Rally. They had an informal 'happy hour' in the afternoon around some of the trailers. Just about everyone enjoyed a beer or wine.

Quote:
If you feel uncomfortable around older people ... you won't fit in. Besides, maybe they are uncomfortable around you. Personally, I have enjoyed all of the older members I have met ... all very nice and friendly ... and have some great stories to tell.

Quote:
If you are not interested in the rallies and caravans and like to camp alone ... you probably won't get very much out of the club. You should at least try a rally ... you could change your mind.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:

1) Are we required to put the red numbers on the front of our Bambi?
2) Are there rules about what you can and cannot do while camping with your Airstream if you are a member of WBCCI?
3) Will young members fit in with the club?
4) We're not interested in participating in rallies/caravans -- will there still be a place for us in the club? Thanks -
1. The red numbers are not required to be on trailer escept on a few long caravan trips. Many folks w/ new aluminum feel the same way you do. Some choose to mount them other ways - like on removable plexiglass panels in window - some just don't put them on.

2. Rules? I don't really know - I haven't ever seen any, other than the usual "keep it neat" stuff. Each individual unit may have their own rules. You should visit the unit closest to you and see if it's a good fit. Some folks join as "members at large" - not attached to any one unit.

3. Young is a relative term. We joined 2 units. The first one is full of very dusty members all thirty years our seniors. The second has several members in their 30's and we're older ... Again - you shouuld visit with your local unit to find out about this.

4. If you're not interested in rallies and caravans than I would think twice about membership. Members recieve a magazine subscription and are entitled to coutesy parking. I thought that rallies would be hokey but it turns out we have had a great time and met wonderful people at rallies. We now look forward to them. Visit the WBCCI website to learn more. Some units allow visitors at rallies - go - check it out - you might be pleasantly surprised.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
1) No. Many just put the numbers on something and hang it in the front window. I have one on the back and not the front, messed it up, and no one ever says anything serious. Once someone doing the parking at a Regional Rally said "you don't have your number on the front". That was it. It does help the regestration guys know who's next in line.

2)It is recommended you wear some clothing at all times outside your trailer unless you are returning from Happy Hour. Every event I've gone to had happy hour. Prehaps it was a campground rule. Then there are the pot luck dinners BYOB. Mostly a beer and wine crowd with a strange attraction to Margarita's and pink birds.

3) Some Units are older than others in age and I suspect spirit. Prehaps someone down there can help with what the units are like around you. You can be a non unit member at large.

4) You may find you like the occasional get together. We do about 2/3's alone. Forum rallys are also a place to try. I Think of WBCCU as part of the AS package.

But go camping....
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:53 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I love this - five answers - all the same - great minds think alike! it's really interesting that we all have the same take on this....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
...It will be a rally for folks who want to camp together but there will be no organized games, no breakfasts, no tours to the local city hall, etc., etc.,. It will be based on enjoying each others company with enjoyment of the outdoors and the silver trailers that we own. Sort of a Moraine View clone. If it falls flat, meaning no one attends, then I will know what my direction will be.

Jack
We call that a "rendezvous". I think that is an official wally-club designation for encounters that fit the aforementioned description....
Old 06-14-2005, 02:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Exclamation Imho

It all depends on what you want to get out of your membership and what membership represents to you.

Big Red numbers......I guess if I had a new 2005 I probably would go for the Plexi stick on window trick - but were are of the vintage type and the red numbers are like - "gold" They signified an identity within once a huge club. Just like rank or jersey numbers they have a special meaning to each their own. Why we have two! - just so we could have the year matching our Trailer 1961 - and our present number was already on our coach so we reactivated it.

Rules - hmmmmm there are plenty of un-written rules in this club - but shall we say they are more like guidelines or reminders to those who deviate a bit too far from the "normalcy" of the majority.....hence the funny looks I had when MoonBeam was dressed in dog towels hanging off every window drying - was I hanging my laundry out? or was I testing new window awning material???

As you get older you will find out that flauntin the alcohol will just get you in trouble in any walk of life - so discretion is always the best policy in that respect - besides you get to drink more if you hide it

Age factor - only as old as you feel or as young as you look There is now secret that this club is majority 65++ as not too many of us out there can take off to caravans and Rally hop while raising a family or holding down several jobs. Are we accepted (okay I confess - early 40's - and thinking of retirement) If your not - then you are not in the right club - or Unit - we are having a tough time in ours - as it is a huge unit and not to pro-vintage as most have the nice new rigs and well into their retirement yeats so probably don't want to be reminded that Airstream has been around for 75 years

Caravans and Rally's - if the is not your cup of tea - then you certainly will not recoup your membership fees from those activities. But if you like to vacation in the winter and courtesy park during the summer - then you may just recoup your membership 100 times over. Not too many places can you park for a week with full hookups for $99.00 and there is no second to the friends you will meet across NA over the years.

If anything younger memberships are needed in this club - for no other reason but to sustain it - as it makes its populas transition - we are the ones who will be in the longstanding members shoes 15 years from now - and we sure hope this club will be around then.

Just take a look around - there are still lots of members and they are all having a great time meeting their own needs with the largest social club in America.

We don't mind the odd big Rally - but much prefer the smaller more intimate groups - which we can not seem to get in our own Unit. We are just lucky that right now we do not need to travel during the summer as we have a permanent camping ground where we live. So our needs are for winter relief for now - and hope to hit at least one rally each snowbird trip - this coming year hope to hit the mardi gra rally and check out Mystic Springs Airstream Park - on our way to Texas have 4 and a bit weeks this winter - yippee. Next winter will have 5 weeks then 6

If courtesy parking is your thing - then being members of this forum is a great start - as you will have lots of people here willing to share their bed/opps driveway....

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your new Bambi - bet you go bigger in about 2 years - tee hee.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Recent Rally Stats

I believe the WBCCI is experiencing the next wave of campers, a sort of renaissance. My grand parents were members, but my parents were not. I have the bug now and I can see other 30-50 year olds getting into it as well. The older generation was cutting edge for their time and their efforts to establish and keep alive the WBCCI is the only reason it is here today, IMHO. But time keeps rolling and the only way the club will survive into the next generation is to attract new members. It will be the norms that we form as the "newer" members that will be what either draws or keeps away the members.

Before joining the local club, I had many of the same questions that you had. I was concerned that it would not be a club where either my family or I would feel welcome or have much in common with others outside of the aluminum tubes. BOY WAS I WRONG!!! Our unit and region are made of very interesting and diverse sets of people, but the one trait amongst them all is that they like to chat and have a good time. (some with blenders.. and her name will go nameless (P*M). It has been one of the best decisions I have made and I look forward to getting together with them.

I am looking forward to the day when I can take many weeks off and do a full time caravanning run to Baha or Alaska. I know the WBCCI will be there to provide me those opportunities.

Below are some stats on attendance at a recent rally. I was not able to go, but if I was would have been filled the 30 something category.

56% are between 40-50.
38% are between 50-60
13% are older than 60

25% are retired

31% attending with children
Average age was between 4 and 5

38% travel with Pets

94% have travel trailers (TT)
The average age of a unit (includes motorhomes) is 1990. Oldest attending as 1964 and newest was 2004.

56% have owned an airstream between 1-3 years
13% have owned an airstream between 4-7 years
25% have owned an airstream between 12-20 years

56% have been part of the WBCCI for 1-3 years
19% have been part of the WBCCI for 4-7 years
19% have been part of the WBCCI for 12-20 years

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
We call that a "rendezvous". I think that is an official wally-club designation for encounters that fit the aforementioned description....
Our unit folks call it a "no host" rally.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I would suggest you go out and "try" on the unit near you, Go to a rally, see how it fits for you.
Also there are Forum rallys all across the country that are informal, fun get togethers for those of us here and our family and friends. They also sometimes attract interested wannabees, who come to check out the Airstreams, get the inside scoop on ownership, and such. Look at the Forum Rally section to see if there will be one near you.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Our unit folks call it a "no host" rally.

Jack
hmmm....I'll have to look it up in that huge rule-book they gave my big-shot-ociffer spouse.

but I thought "rendezvous" had hosts. someone's gotta book the site.

Doug: If the rally were one week earlier, I would've filled the 30-something category.
Just had my anual physical. doc says I've reached "the magic age", and from here on in, I'll have to have my bearings re-packed regularly.

next thing ya know, I'll be wearin' one of those funny blue hats.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Just had my anual physical. doc says I've reached "the magic age", and from here on in, I'll have to have my bearings re-packed regularly.

OMG, that's the funniest thing I've read here in a while

I think if you find a good WBCCI group to join, the other things won't matter. After I took off the old numbers on my trailer, I swore I wouldn't put another set on, but now I wear them proudly. We love camping alone, but we look forward to the rallys too - in fact I wish we could make it to more of them. We're both 35, and our club average age is probably 70, but we still have a great time. You might be surprised how much you have in common with them. They were your age once too. Most of them are more active than people my own age. It makes me look forward to retirement even more if I can spend it like that. And they have this wonderful bond of having been in the club together for years, some of them since they were our age. Some only have been in the club a few years, and you can't tell which is which, because they are like one big family.

Every unit is different because they are just made of people, but I hope you find a good one in your area. They really have increased our enjoyment of our camper, and welcomed us like family. Best of all, we ran into other members on our trip across the states last summer, and everyone treated us like long lost friends - though technically we were strangers. It really can be a great club.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:

...Even the older folks seem to be fairly young at heart, imo....
Easy now Chuck...don't forget I'm older than you (tho hubby claims I don't act it at times)!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...we bought our A/S initially to go camping alone. We have owned the A/S for 4 years now and have gone on over 40 camping trips since we purchased it; I think only one or two of those trips we actually went alone!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #17
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Are we required to put the red numbers on the front of our Bambi? We are not sure we would like to do this even if we were members of WBCCI. Is this a requirement for being a member of the club?
No. The numbers are optional. I have numbers on the front and never got around to putting them on the rear. Put the numbers on a card in the window or on plexiglass with suction cups... it is useful in helping folks find you.

Quote:
Are there rules about what you can and cannot do while camping with your Airstream if you are a member of WBCCI? We were told by a campground owner this past weekend that he hosted an AS rally last year and that AS people were not allowed to drink alchol outside of their camper -- is this true?
Our unit has happy hour every day of a rally. At 4PM, we are there with our bottle of wine and others with beer. True, there are restrictions against alcohol in some meeting halls, but that is no problem.

Quote:
Will young members fit in with the club? We're in our late 20's/early 30's and we are not sure that there are many other AS'ers our age out there. My impression is that WBCCI members are much older than we are and we would not have a lot in common with them...
We have a wide range of members ages. Age seems to be no problem. We have WW II veterans who are as active as those in their 30s.

Quote:
We're not interested in participating in rallies/caravans -- will there still be a place for us in the club? We prefer to camp alone since we find it more relaxing, will be 'left out' if we don't want to go camping with the group all of the time.
We have folks (ourselves) that make every rally and folks that make one or two a year. Best thing is to try a rally at a destination that is interesting to you; you might find, as we did, that yoiu enjoy it more than you might expect.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:53 PM   #18
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
WBCCI, My thoughts and the initial experience

Desidou,

We joined WBCCI just to get the Magazine (Blue Beret) to learn a few things and get some tips about owning the Airstream. My first issue was a big shock, seeing all the pictured board members wearing those berets, it reminded me of the lodge meetings my grandfather used to attend.

Being an “At Large” member for 3 years, we finally decided it was time to attend a function and see what they did. We attended the Region 9 rally in Claremore Oklahoma; again this was our first WBCCI function. The initial impression was a very negative but after getting to know a few members our feelings became more positive. We met a few younger (under 50-60) members and felt a bit at-ease. After meeting several members in subsequent days we quickly developed several friendships. One aspect was to see first hand what other owners had done to their rigs as well a sharing our own innovations.

To realize someone over 80 had driven to the site, unhooked, set-up without help. I never heard anyone gripe or complain about him or herself throughout the entire event. I learned a lot, gained respect and quickly felt at ease.

In May we attended a local rally of the North Texas & Highland Lakes Units at Glenrose, Texas (Dinosaur Valley) we met several folks we had seen on the Claremore trip. The acquaintances we had previously met again made us feel welcomed and glad we were there.

We will be going to our first International Rally in Springfield, Missouri; I am looking forward to attending the planned meetings regarding the topic of club alterations or changes to make WBCCI more attractive to younger adults and to be respectful of the older members. Many items will be reviewed and discussed so I feel it’s my opportunity to give positive input. I hope we can loose some of the ceremonial pomp and romper-room charades! Its really dated and embarrassing
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:03 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

participation

Quote:
4) We're not interested in participating in rallies/caravans -- will there still be a place for us in the club? We prefer to camp alone since we find it more relaxing, will be 'left out' if we don't want to go camping with the group all of the time. -
Our unit is small but growing and almost all of our members are professed non-joiners who after attending one of our rallies have become 1st time WBCCI members. There is nothing better than "relaxing" in the company of others who share the same interests and the same ideas about camping and what a rally should be. We are a very informal, flexible, and unstructured Unit and we all look forward to our monthly rallies. Many of our members still work or have kids in school. Others travel several months out of the year. No matter if they only make it to one rally a year, they are always welcome and fit right in as if they had never been gone.

As others have said, check out some rallies near you. Each Uit has a personality of it's own and you will probably find one that fits your style and compliments your preference for camping on your own. I bet you will find that attending rallies is a lot more fun and beneficial than you might think. When you find the right group, you will probably begin to look forward to attending more rallies.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #20
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
This is GREAT!

It is good to see so many positive views on the WBCCI from frolks that have been around for some time and even folks that are relatively new to the WBCCI.

I actually have been referred to as the "Cheerleader" here on the Forum by some naysayers but I feel confident in saying that there are many who share the same satisfaction that I do.

Oh, my mom said hello...................

Smily (The WBCCI Cheerleader)
smily is offline   Reply With Quote