Old 06-14-2005, 04:00 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Just had my anual physical. doc says I've reached "the magic age", and from here on in, I'll have to have my bearings re-packed regularly.

OMG, that's the funniest thing I've read here in a while

I think if you find a good WBCCI group to join, the other things won't matter. After I took off the old numbers on my trailer, I swore I wouldn't put another set on, but now I wear them proudly. We love camping alone, but we look forward to the rallys too - in fact I wish we could make it to more of them. We're both 35, and our club average age is probably 70, but we still have a great time. You might be surprised how much you have in common with them. They were your age once too. Most of them are more active than people my own age. It makes me look forward to retirement even more if I can spend it like that. And they have this wonderful bond of having been in the club together for years, some of them since they were our age. Some only have been in the club a few years, and you can't tell which is which, because they are like one big family.

Every unit is different because they are just made of people, but I hope you find a good one in your area. They really have increased our enjoyment of our camper, and welcomed us like family. Best of all, we ran into other members on our trip across the states last summer, and everyone treated us like long lost friends - though technically we were strangers. It really can be a great club.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

...Even the older folks seem to be fairly young at heart, imo....
Easy now Chuck...don't forget I'm older than you (tho hubby claims I don't act it at times)!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...we bought our A/S initially to go camping alone. We have owned the A/S for 4 years now and have gone on over 40 camping trips since we purchased it; I think only one or two of those trips we actually went alone!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by desidou
Are we required to put the red numbers on the front of our Bambi? We are not sure we would like to do this even if we were members of WBCCI. Is this a requirement for being a member of the club?
No. The numbers are optional. I have numbers on the front and never got around to putting them on the rear. Put the numbers on a card in the window or on plexiglass with suction cups... it is useful in helping folks find you.

Quote:
Are there rules about what you can and cannot do while camping with your Airstream if you are a member of WBCCI? We were told by a campground owner this past weekend that he hosted an AS rally last year and that AS people were not allowed to drink alchol outside of their camper -- is this true?
Our unit has happy hour every day of a rally. At 4PM, we are there with our bottle of wine and others with beer. True, there are restrictions against alcohol in some meeting halls, but that is no problem.

Quote:
Will young members fit in with the club? We're in our late 20's/early 30's and we are not sure that there are many other AS'ers our age out there. My impression is that WBCCI members are much older than we are and we would not have a lot in common with them...
We have a wide range of members ages. Age seems to be no problem. We have WW II veterans who are as active as those in their 30s.

Quote:
We're not interested in participating in rallies/caravans -- will there still be a place for us in the club? We prefer to camp alone since we find it more relaxing, will be 'left out' if we don't want to go camping with the group all of the time.
We have folks (ourselves) that make every rally and folks that make one or two a year. Best thing is to try a rally at a destination that is interesting to you; you might find, as we did, that yoiu enjoy it more than you might expect.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:53 PM   #18
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
WBCCI, My thoughts and the initial experience

Desidou,

We joined WBCCI just to get the Magazine (Blue Beret) to learn a few things and get some tips about owning the Airstream. My first issue was a big shock, seeing all the pictured board members wearing those berets, it reminded me of the lodge meetings my grandfather used to attend.

Being an “At Large” member for 3 years, we finally decided it was time to attend a function and see what they did. We attended the Region 9 rally in Claremore Oklahoma; again this was our first WBCCI function. The initial impression was a very negative but after getting to know a few members our feelings became more positive. We met a few younger (under 50-60) members and felt a bit at-ease. After meeting several members in subsequent days we quickly developed several friendships. One aspect was to see first hand what other owners had done to their rigs as well a sharing our own innovations.

To realize someone over 80 had driven to the site, unhooked, set-up without help. I never heard anyone gripe or complain about him or herself throughout the entire event. I learned a lot, gained respect and quickly felt at ease.

In May we attended a local rally of the North Texas & Highland Lakes Units at Glenrose, Texas (Dinosaur Valley) we met several folks we had seen on the Claremore trip. The acquaintances we had previously met again made us feel welcomed and glad we were there.

We will be going to our first International Rally in Springfield, Missouri; I am looking forward to attending the planned meetings regarding the topic of club alterations or changes to make WBCCI more attractive to younger adults and to be respectful of the older members. Many items will be reviewed and discussed so I feel it’s my opportunity to give positive input. I hope we can loose some of the ceremonial pomp and romper-room charades! Its really dated and embarrassing
Old 06-15-2005, 12:03 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

participation

Quote:
Originally Posted by desidou
4) We're not interested in participating in rallies/caravans -- will there still be a place for us in the club? We prefer to camp alone since we find it more relaxing, will be 'left out' if we don't want to go camping with the group all of the time. -
Our unit is small but growing and almost all of our members are professed non-joiners who after attending one of our rallies have become 1st time WBCCI members. There is nothing better than "relaxing" in the company of others who share the same interests and the same ideas about camping and what a rally should be. We are a very informal, flexible, and unstructured Unit and we all look forward to our monthly rallies. Many of our members still work or have kids in school. Others travel several months out of the year. No matter if they only make it to one rally a year, they are always welcome and fit right in as if they had never been gone.

As others have said, check out some rallies near you. Each Uit has a personality of it's own and you will probably find one that fits your style and compliments your preference for camping on your own. I bet you will find that attending rallies is a lot more fun and beneficial than you might think. When you find the right group, you will probably begin to look forward to attending more rallies.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #20
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
This is GREAT!

It is good to see so many positive views on the WBCCI from frolks that have been around for some time and even folks that are relatively new to the WBCCI.

I actually have been referred to as the "Cheerleader" here on the Forum by some naysayers but I feel confident in saying that there are many who share the same satisfaction that I do.

Oh, my mom said hello...................

Smily (The WBCCI Cheerleader)
Old 06-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
A few benefits

One of the biggest benefits I just found out for a Rally I hosted. That is Liability Insurance. I just had my unit send in the paperwork and WBCCI sent me a Liability certificate, thus allowing me to utilize the local towns park and it allowed us to enjoy Happy Hour there - alcohol was allowed with the certificate and without it, we would not have been able to enjoy things such as wine / beer during Happy Hour or dinner, or just sitting around the fire. I did not know they put up the Insurance for such things.

Another fine one is the Courtesy Parking, which I use alot. People are listed in the Annual Guide. I am probably going to use it next week in New Jersey with the new Argosy on it's maiden voyage.

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Why join? Because no matter where you are...you are welcome. Just did an evening with the New England group. They posted their rally inthe forum as well as in the Blue Berret. We knew no one and were instant family.

I know you had said earlier that you did not care to camp with other people, but a/s people are the best.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Joining WBCCI?

While Caravanning to the International and while at the International Rally I had the opportunity to sit in on several discussions about WBCCI membership benefits. There was a consensus that it doesn't take long for the friendships developed through WBCCI functions to take on the importance of a second family for many of us. I hadn't really thought much about it before, but I view attending the International Rally in much the same way as attending a family reunion -- I look forward to visiting with my old friends, making new friends, learning of the experiences others have had in their year of travels, and reminiscing about those who are no longer with us.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:30 PM   #24
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Tell the truth

You said it brother!

And another benny is rally locations that are spread across the country and in prime locations like Myrtle Beach SC

See the info here

http://www.airforums.com/forum...highlight=2005
Old 07-31-2005, 09:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
old numbers

hi- I have a related question, and am a newbie so bear with me: my '72 came with traces of the wbcci numbers front and rear. what is the protocol for dealing with this? Do/can I repaint them? Should I erase them out, getting new numbers if I join wbcci? thanks.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:07 AM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
hi- I have a related question, and am a newbie so bear with me: my '72 came with traces of the wbcci numbers front and rear. what is the protocol for dealing with this? Do/can I repaint them? Should I erase them out, getting new numbers if I join wbcci? thanks.
Tphan,
They are actually stickers...if you want the numbers that currently on the unit contact the WBCCI and see if the numbers are currently available, or have an alternate number that will cover up the one you have. I gave up on that angle my AS has 2-3 sets of ghost numbers and the WBCCI wouldn't let me get 88888
The best way I have found to remove the existing numbers is with a bit of heat, like a blow dryer others use a towel and a steam iron.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Goof-Off does a good job of removing stickers of any kind. I just wipe a rag heavily dampened with Goof-Off over them a few times and they peel off easily. I then rub off any remaining adhesive with the dampened rag.

I used that method to get rid of all the Bill Thomas decals (3) on my new trailer as well as the Thor sticker and the sticker on the front by the propane tanks. I used it inside the trailer to get rid of all of the frustrating stickers such as those that come on the Corean, backsplash, stove, sinks, and shower.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
thanks- the stickers are gone, just the outlines remain- might leave the ghosts for a while. Is it OK to put up other numbers without wbcci sanction, like the year of manufacture, or my birth year, address, 007, etc? Just want to know what is considered ok as far as personalizing or decorating the outside goes. Do NOT want to step on wbcci's toes- may end up joining one day.