Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2005, 11:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Intra-Club v. Forums Unit

Just wanted to pass along some info from conversations with WBCCI HQ regarding possible "Forums" Unit or other organization frameworks...

Their suggestion was to consider "Intra-Club", like Vintage or Ham Radio groups, rather than a national Unit... Rules would require all to join WBCCI either at-large or in another local unit, which for some defeats purpose.. Several of us talked over during NorCal Forums Rally, and with 50% unwilling to spend ~$60 on WBCCI + more for Forums group, decided to continue as non-WBCCI effort, with two to four rallies yearly, no effort to travel to Internaitonal together, and those who enjoy Caravans or International or local unit rallies free to continue those.. Seemed satisfactory compromise, with nobody forced to do anything they found upsetting...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
phew! Dick Sherwood, president of the North Cascades club called tonight. He sounds great, was very helpful, up beat and reassuring. He said they are half working people, half retirees, and they do a lot with the British Columbia Group. Some of the members are vintage owners as well. He did not discourage me from the Washington group, but did explain that Lacey is an all gravel park. Ick! Sounds like they do more rallies than luncheons, but do the luncheons in the winter when its too cold to camp and some of the members have gone south. So we think we will go to Camano to their rally in May to check it out, and skip the Crab bake in Lacey. My confidence is restored in Wally Byam. We'll see how things progress.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
1st WBCCI Rally

We joined WBCCI last July, and we'll be attending our 1st rally this weekend (combined Oregon and Western Oregon Units together) in Lincoln City on the Oregon Coast. The verdict is still out on whether we will enjoy it or not! I've been warned of a "bugler" in the morning (don't know if this is true or not). And personally I don't do donuts & Folgers coffee in the mornings (oatmeal and Starbucks House blend for me). Stefrobrts has already tried to woo me over into her Unit, but have no feelings yet one way or another. I view this as a way to make new friends with similar interests. It will be interesting to see the age of the attendees. Since this is our 1st time........we may have to be initiated somehow and vow to uphold Wally's Creed!
I'll give you my assessment after the Rally!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Just remember, every rally is planned by a different person, so they are all very different. Some are good, some are, um.. not so good. But at least the people have all been really nice and welcoming and they try to have fun and make it so everyone else does too.

I think the real value of the WBCCI is that they gather enough people together that they try to plan rallies every month throughout the summer (our unit also takes a break and switches to luncheons to keep in touch through the winter). With regular scheduled rallies there's usually something to do, and you see different people at each event. It's a community that helps you keep in touch. I really like that part of it. You're welcome to any rally no matter which unit you are in, so it's not like you'll miss out on anything by joining one unit over another.

So go give it a chance and see how you like it. I've heard the BC unit is very active and has a lot of younger people in it. I'm hoping to get up there for one of their rallys sometime.

I hope you have fun in Lincoln City, Jim. Be sure to let us know how it goes. I haven't heard a bugler at a rally yet (though we had one at a luncheon). He was 90+ easy, who's going to tell him NOT to bugle

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hello from Germany,

we are owners of an Airstream Ambassador since two days and are thinking of joining the WBCCI. As there is no Region Europe, our question is what you WBCCI Members think we should do? WBCCI Headquater told me that we can join as Members at Large, but is there a possibility to join a unit also? Which unit would you recommend for us? I mean it is hard for us to join the rallys and then decide, but when we come to the USA it would be nice to meet fellow airstreamer.

Any comments are welcome!

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Bjoern,

It is very possible to join a unit. One possibility is the Washington DC Unit (WDCU). They have members all over the country, I think that one of the reasons is the dues are only $5 and everything in over the internet. They seem to be very active in the DC area. We belong to the El Camino Real Unit here in So Calif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn
Hello from Germany,

we are owners of an Airstream Ambassador since two days and are thinking of joining the WBCCI. As there is no Region Europe, our question is what you WBCCI Members think we should do? WBCCI Headquater told me that we can join as Members at Large, but is there a possibility to join a unit also? Which unit would you recommend for us? I mean it is hard for us to join the rallys and then decide, but when we come to the USA it would be nice to meet fellow airstreamer.

Any comments are welcome!

Bjoern
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:54 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn
Hello from Germany,

Proud Owners of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

Bjoern,
Would you please tell me how your trailer got the name "Dave"?
Old 04-22-2005, 07:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Actually, I think the DC unit dues are even cheaper than that. They are $1 ... so it's hard to go wrong. We just attended the Cherry Blossom Rally with that group and it was terrific fun. We are affiliate members.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:15 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ponz
Bjoern,
Would you please tell me how your trailer got the name "Dave"?
Well, my wife wanted that we dedicate it to Dave Matthews and the Dave Matthews Band and so we did...It was to dangerous to say no... And I think Dave is a good name, too!

We will take a look at the DC units Page, if they have one. What about the Denver Unit? We got married in Aspen, well actually on Elk Camp, Snowmass (on top of the mountain), maybe that could be another choice...

Thanks for the comments, keep posting.

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:02 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Milton , Florida
Why join the WBCCI? I wondered the same thing and have found it well worth the money in the friendships we have developed over the years. The first rally we attended with an Airstream was the international in 1998 in Boisie Idaho. Hooked up with the vintage folks there and felt at home with them. We did not join the local unit at the time because they met at a fairgrounds 3 or 4 times a year and played cards all weekend. Not what we like to do. We now belong to the Pensacola Florida Unit and they are an active bunch that do 13 rallies a year. These are at Mystic Sprins Cove and then there are the the region rallies. My wife and I are some of the younger members there (mid 50's) but fit in well and have a good time. WBCCI is a good group with lots of knowledge you cannot put a price on. Yes they have a structure that not all of us can get involved in to the fullest, but I support those that can. I find meeting the folks that can travel more than I can keep our dream alive. One thing that always got to me were the folks in there 80's and 90's still pulling an Airstream. There is a bit more than just a club involved with these Aluminum trailers. Besides, I get to put the red numbers on our trailer and mess up the clearcoat.
Pensacola is offline   Reply With Quote