Old 04-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think you should takeover the Inland unit. Sounds like there won't be much resistance! Then I'll come join you guys

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:39 PM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Just an FYI.

The IBT over the winter (2005) approved a change in the rules to charter a new unit. All you need is 5 member numbers to apply for a unit charter If I remember correctly. If it is not 5 then it is 10. It used to be 15.

To request a charter application you would need to contact your region president.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:58 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Isn't there also something about every unit has to sponsor a caravan or national rally, or something like that? As I've understood in the past that requirement has kept youth/working age units from forming, as working people often don't have time for caravans or long rallys.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Cool

Well we could call it the Central Washington Unit, our rally could be at the Wings & Wheels Festival which takes place in East Wenatchee. They have a car show, a trick motorcycle drill team called the Flying Causaks performs, they have a small parade, etc. I think its the 1st or 2nd weekend in October. The car show usually has a couple of Teardrop trailers, we could join the troop on display. I know one of the people on the committee, our sister city in Japan usually bring a group of people too. There is also Apple Blossom Festival, but that can be crazy insane with cruising etc. Makes it impossible to get through town, but the parade is great. And our local theatre usually puts on a great musical at the time. This is the first year in a long time, that I'm not in it.

Anyway....now I've done it, this happens at school too, I give my bright idea, then end up heading up a committee.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #19
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Isn't there also something about every unit has to sponsor a caravan or national rally, or something like that? As I've understood in the past that requirement has kept youth/working age units from forming, as working people often don't have time for caravans or long rallys.
Nope.

You need to have at least a few rallies, 2 business meetings and have an executive board. This along with enough members to support the unit and you can have a unit.

I have the main WBCCI "blue book" on CD around here somewhere. I will verify this, but there are no requirements to do either a caravan or national rally.

One way to look at it is that units fading away and new ones springing up is a normal progression. Many people do not want to embrace change, so you need to decide how important it is to you and other like you to have a unit that epitomizes your desires for the club. If your unit works (The SCCU comes to mind) then it will flourish. If it does not, then it may fade away as well.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:24 AM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Seriously, it does take a lot of work to make a club happen. I'm glad the OR unit is full of retired folks who can take on these duties. They really take great pride in putting together activities and entertainment for the rallys, and try to outdo each other each year. It might not all be to my taste, but I have to hand it to them, it's a lot of work and they do a great job.

Pick a unit, if you don't like it, pick another one next year. Try to make it to a couple rallys. I only make it to one or two rallys a year, but the people I meet make it all worthwhile. If you find a group that is warm and welcoming, you'll look forward to travelling a bit to join up with them when you can.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Intra-Club v. Forums Unit

Just wanted to pass along some info from conversations with WBCCI HQ regarding possible "Forums" Unit or other organization frameworks...

Their suggestion was to consider "Intra-Club", like Vintage or Ham Radio groups, rather than a national Unit... Rules would require all to join WBCCI either at-large or in another local unit, which for some defeats purpose.. Several of us talked over during NorCal Forums Rally, and with 50% unwilling to spend ~$60 on WBCCI + more for Forums group, decided to continue as non-WBCCI effort, with two to four rallies yearly, no effort to travel to Internaitonal together, and those who enjoy Caravans or International or local unit rallies free to continue those.. Seemed satisfactory compromise, with nobody forced to do anything they found upsetting...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
phew! Dick Sherwood, president of the North Cascades club called tonight. He sounds great, was very helpful, up beat and reassuring. He said they are half working people, half retirees, and they do a lot with the British Columbia Group. Some of the members are vintage owners as well. He did not discourage me from the Washington group, but did explain that Lacey is an all gravel park. Ick! Sounds like they do more rallies than luncheons, but do the luncheons in the winter when its too cold to camp and some of the members have gone south. So we think we will go to Camano to their rally in May to check it out, and skip the Crab bake in Lacey. My confidence is restored in Wally Byam. We'll see how things progress.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
1st WBCCI Rally

We joined WBCCI last July, and we'll be attending our 1st rally this weekend (combined Oregon and Western Oregon Units together) in Lincoln City on the Oregon Coast. The verdict is still out on whether we will enjoy it or not! I've been warned of a "bugler" in the morning (don't know if this is true or not). And personally I don't do donuts & Folgers coffee in the mornings (oatmeal and Starbucks House blend for me). Stefrobrts has already tried to woo me over into her Unit, but have no feelings yet one way or another. I view this as a way to make new friends with similar interests. It will be interesting to see the age of the attendees. Since this is our 1st time........we may have to be initiated somehow and vow to uphold Wally's Creed!
I'll give you my assessment after the Rally!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Just remember, every rally is planned by a different person, so they are all very different. Some are good, some are, um.. not so good. But at least the people have all been really nice and welcoming and they try to have fun and make it so everyone else does too.

I think the real value of the WBCCI is that they gather enough people together that they try to plan rallies every month throughout the summer (our unit also takes a break and switches to luncheons to keep in touch through the winter). With regular scheduled rallies there's usually something to do, and you see different people at each event. It's a community that helps you keep in touch. I really like that part of it. You're welcome to any rally no matter which unit you are in, so it's not like you'll miss out on anything by joining one unit over another.

So go give it a chance and see how you like it. I've heard the BC unit is very active and has a lot of younger people in it. I'm hoping to get up there for one of their rallys sometime.

I hope you have fun in Lincoln City, Jim. Be sure to let us know how it goes. I haven't heard a bugler at a rally yet (though we had one at a luncheon). He was 90+ easy, who's going to tell him NOT to bugle

Old 04-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hello from Germany,

we are owners of an Airstream Ambassador since two days and are thinking of joining the WBCCI. As there is no Region Europe, our question is what you WBCCI Members think we should do? WBCCI Headquater told me that we can join as Members at Large, but is there a possibility to join a unit also? Which unit would you recommend for us? I mean it is hard for us to join the rallys and then decide, but when we come to the USA it would be nice to meet fellow airstreamer.

Any comments are welcome!

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Bjoern,

It is very possible to join a unit. One possibility is the Washington DC Unit (WDCU). They have members all over the country, I think that one of the reasons is the dues are only $5 and everything in over the internet. They seem to be very active in the DC area. We belong to the El Camino Real Unit here in So Calif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn
Hello from Germany,

we are owners of an Airstream Ambassador since two days and are thinking of joining the WBCCI. As there is no Region Europe, our question is what you WBCCI Members think we should do? WBCCI Headquater told me that we can join as Members at Large, but is there a possibility to join a unit also? Which unit would you recommend for us? I mean it is hard for us to join the rallys and then decide, but when we come to the USA it would be nice to meet fellow airstreamer.

Any comments are welcome!

Bjoern
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:54 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn
Hello from Germany,

Proud Owners of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

Bjoern,
Would you please tell me how your trailer got the name "Dave"?
Old 04-22-2005, 08:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Actually, I think the DC unit dues are even cheaper than that. They are $1 ... so it's hard to go wrong. We just attended the Cherry Blossom Rally with that group and it was terrific fun. We are affiliate members.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote