Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagon View Post
Early workers pay the same rally fee as everyone. What they receive is an additional week or two of parking, breakfasts, use of the facility, at no extra charge.
Thanks, redwagon.

I thought I had heard that some officers or early workers were actually at the site as much as a month ahead of time.

Even a week or two, times 350+, is a really significant expense, and something I hope is being looked at closely in terms of how many workers are actually needed----and for how long----prior to the rally beginning.

Maggie

Old 01-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I thought I had heard that some officers or early workers were actually at the site as much as a month ahead of time.

Even a week or two, times 350+, is a really significant expense, and something I hope is being looked at closely in terms of how many workers are actually needed----and for how long----prior to the rally beginning.

Maggie
Times are changing. Once upon a time an International rally meant 3,000 trailers in an unimproved field. The roads and parking spaces had to be surveyed and marked, the water and power lines had to be laid, and tents and trailers set up for all services. That took a lot of early workers well in advance of the rally.

Nowadays we are talking about a few hundred trailers in an established campground, like as not with full hookups, and buildings for meetings and social activities. Much less need for early workers.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
It gives retired folks something to do . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Thanks, redwagon. I thought I had heard that some officers or early workers were actually at the site as much as a month ahead of time. Even a week or two, times 350+, is a really significant expense, and something I hope is being looked at closely in terms of how many workers are actually needed----and for how long----prior to the rally beginning. Maggie
Hi Maggie:

As Dwightdi said, the WBCCI is a club run primarily by and for retirees who have plenty of time on their hands. One of the unstated yet benign purposes of the International Rally is to make retirees feel needed and wanted by giving them things to do using the older technologies they are familiar with from their former jobs. To that end, International has oodles of committees, a great "need" for volunteers, and a tremendous amount of "make work" so the retirees still feel relevant and competent.

They are not driven by efficiency and speed as are people still working. They are into leisurely spending time with friends and socializing, which is why over half of International attendees are "early workers". It gets them out of the house, out of the rocking chair on the front porch, and gives them something to look forward to, to contribute to, and to accomplish. From that perspective, many of the International's practices make sense . . . unless you are not within the group for which International is designed. Once you retire and get tired of hanging around the house, you might better appreciate the reasons for the International Rally. It is not about minimizing costs. So pay your annual dues and hope 'n pray that, like Social Security, it will still be there when you retire and need it.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
Well said, Nuvite-F. I've been in many of those "unimproved fields" from the hot gravel parking lot at Notre Dame to the soaking wet sod at Duluth. Early workers were absolutely necessary - then. But, not now. Change is inevitable and those who react slowly, or not at all, will be left in the dust of history. We have to take lessons from other groups which have faced declining membership and survived by adapting to their challenges. Military groups have changed their rules to allow a broader base of potential members. Fraternal groups have become family oriented. We have to change, also, to be a club that will be attractive to all Airstreamers.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
So it is ok to have hundreds of early volunteers at International, relaxing, socializing for weeks on end on my dime. Who was it that wondered why we are in the hole? Shouldn't a "limited" time be set for early volunteers to arrive, cutting expenses? Can I vote?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtyme View Post
So it is ok to have hundreds of early volunteers at International, relaxing, socializing for weeks on end on my dime. Who was it that wondered why we are in the hole? Shouldn't a "limited" time be set for early volunteers to arrive, cutting expenses? Can I vote?

VOTE!
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Once upon a time an International rally meant 3,000 trailers in an unimproved field... roads and parking spaces had to be surveyed...water lines laid... tents for services. That took a lot of early workers
Not really... granted, it was not 3000 trailers... but at last years Birthday Bash, 3 of us got the "unimproved" site prepared for a gathering of nearly 300 folks in just a few days.

Our event is more about using our trailers as they were intended... to have fun!

A massive infrastructure such as the nature of todays Internationals only serves to distract from the important stuff... enjoyment!
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Lubbock , Texas
As a new Airstream owner and new member of this forum I find myself fascinated by these discussions. I'm a young guy (41-- I keep telling myself that's still young) with a wife and 2 kids (ages 12 and 10). We bought the Airstream for family fun and enjoyment and mainly as a way to get my wife and 10 year old daughter to join me and my son on camping trips. How do I (we) fit in to the WBCCI's plans? Or do we at all? I can honestly say that the idea of rallying has a great deal of appeal to me. But if the descriptions I've read in this forum of the typical rally are half-way accurate, then honestly I can't see my family being involved any time soon. Again, based on nothing other than what I've read here, it seems as though the WBCCI and rallies in general are geared towards retired folks with the time and $$ that most young families simply don't have. If I could take off 10 days from work and if my family had the $ to travel to the International, what would attract us to do such a thing? What would my kids do for a week or 10 days? Anyway, not sure anyone cares much about what a new guy like me has to say on the subject but I hope someone out there does. Thanks for listening.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirEPotter View Post
As a new Airstream owner and new member of this forum I find myself fascinated by these discussions. I'm a young guy (41-- I keep telling myself that's still young) with a wife and 2 kids (ages 12 and 10). We bought the Airstream for family fun and enjoyment and mainly as a way to get my wife and 10 year old daughter to join me and my son on camping trips. How do I (we) fit in to the WBCCI's plans? Or do we at all? I can honestly say that the idea of rallying has a great deal of appeal to me. But if the descriptions I've read in this forum of the typical rally are half-way accurate, then honestly I can't see my family being involved any time soon. Again, based on nothing other than what I've read here, it seems as though the WBCCI and rallies in general are geared towards retired folks with the time and $$ that most young families simply don't have. If I could take off 10 days from work and if my family had the $ to travel to the International, what would attract us to do such a thing? What would my kids do for a week or 10 days? Anyway, not sure anyone cares much about what a new guy like me has to say on the subject but I hope someone out there does. Thanks for listening.
I care about what you have to say. And im 68. Sal
Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
My 12 year old grandson ha a great time at Madison with the 70 other Kids that attended and participated in the programs put on Mrs. Amme and her daughter and the daughter's husband. He wanted to go with us again to Gillette, but it was too far, per his mother. The "entertainment" in the evening was not to his liking but they has an alternate program for them. Some local rallies in some units are also age independent.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen
I care about what you have to say. And im 68. Sal
Thank you Sal.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Our son, now 18, went to Perry and Bozeman. Our daughter, 16, went to Gilette and had a great time as well. There have been younger teens at all these Internationals. They have a great time with each other. Mrs. Amme and her family do a fantastic job.

Our unit is working on kid activities and kid friendly rallies. We need parents with children to work with us in planning and feedback. Get involved with a unit and make your thoughts known. They will likely accept your ideas and your help.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirEPotter View Post
As a new Airstream owner and new member of this forum I find myself fascinated by these discussions. . . . I can honestly say that the idea of rallying has a great deal of appeal to me. But if the descriptions I've read in this forum of the typical rally are half-way accurate, then honestly I can't see my family being involved any time soon. Again, based on nothing other than what I've read here, it seems as though the WBCCI and rallies in general are geared towards retired folks with the time and $$ that most young families simply don't have. . . Thanks for listening.
Hi AirEPotter:

The geriatric rally description in this thread is limited to the once-a-year International [club business meeting] Rally run by the ITB officers. Nearly every other WBCCI rally is much more informal and, to me, far more enjoyable (I've been to 2 Internationals, more than enough.). For contrast, read any thread on any Rally sponsored by the Four Corners Unit or by most any other local club unit of the WBCCI. Don't be scared away from the WBCCI solely becauase of the International Rally.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
AirEPotter, thanks for posting and has several members have already stated, there are many things for the children to enjoy. The International is not all old folks. We need more members like you and welcome you to WBCCI. Sometimes comments get out of hand in these threads. If you think that your family would enjoy attending an International Rally its a great opportunity to visit a new area and explore it.

Don't let some of the comments scare you off.