Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Introducing NOVA

Introducing NOVA.

As this forum is worldwide, many here only know me from my occasional post. I've met many great people here. The personalities represented on this site depict an unbelievably diverse community. People make Airforums special. Airstreams may be the catalyst, but the good will present here is what really shines. Today that is what I'm thankful for!

So what about this NOVA thing? NOVA is an acronym for the Northern Ohio Virtual Airstream unit. Under consideration is the creation of a new virtual WBCCI unit. As required, this unit will be based geographically in Northern Ohio. In practice, membership in this virtual unit will be boundless. The intended purpose for this arrangement is to provide a solid “home” to non-traditional members. The creation of this unit will allow for the positive growth of the WBCCI, and will provide an avenue for Airstream owners to have fun.

Following several weeks of discussion with the Region 4 President, it has been agreed that if the required minimum of 10 WBCCI members are assembled, a provisional charter for NOVA will be granted. These may be new members, members-at-large, or members of existing units.

It is my goal for NOVA to celebrate the WBCCI traditions and accomplishments while providing methods of innovative club management to promote the best possible experience for members. Much like a "concept car", the unit will be a test bed for the best ideas. Some may prove impractical, but other ideas may truly be very positive.

The intention of this email is to be considered an "Initial Public Offering". A draft constitution and bylaws have been written. They will be shared at an appropriate time.

At this time, I am opening up the opportunity for charter membership. You may contact me privately or publicly. Charter membership will close on December 31, 2009. At that time, all paperwork will be filed.

May I kindly please ask that we may remain on topic for this thread? Plenty of other threads exist to hash out current issues, let's keep this one positive. Thank you in advance!

Obviously, there is much to discuss. I could document about another five paragraphs with ideas about the virtual meetings, leadership innovations, and proposed camping protocol. This isn't the time for that, I'm ready for turkey.

Today is Thanksgiving. I am thankful for the people here. I am thankful for my great family. I am thankful for organizations like the WBCCI. I am thankful for people like Wally and PeeWee.

I think I'm going to spend some time today inside my Airstream, just because.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dan Bihary
dbihary @ hotmail . com
address & phone number available upon request
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Dan,
That sounds great. I assume you need 10 members that would have their official WBCCI membership sanctioned thru NOVA. Are you willing to also have Charter "Affiliate" members that wish to maintain their existing WBCCI memberships and just add NOVA as an "affiliate" (i.e. 2nd, 3rd, 4th unit membership)? Lorrie and I might join in that capacity, if it is allowed.

Funny thing is that a few years ago, I had the same idea before we found a unit that fit us better (our current unit). At the time, my working name for such a unit was going to be OHMI (as in Oh, My!) and it would have drawn from Ohio and Michigan.

By the way, I think this is a great way to grow WBCCI. Start a unit and define your own experience in a way that works for you. This can be better than trying to join another unit and mold it to your desires. In the end, it should be a win-win, a win for the members of the new unit, and a win for WBCCI. Thanks for taking the initiative.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I'm ready for a change

We're currently MAL's. WE would like to join a unit to save a little $ on dues. Was thinking about the 4CU but Ohio is closer. I'd love to help a new group get started. PM me or post info so I can make a decision about joining.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Dan,
Are you willing to also have Charter "Affiliate" members that wish to maintain their existing WBCCI memberships and just add NOVA as an "affiliate" (i.e. 2nd, 3rd, 4th unit membership)? Lorrie and I might join in that capacity, if it is allowed.
Thanks for the reply Joe, I'd be honored to have you and Lorrie join us in any capacity. I'll spend some time today reading the Blue Book today to see if I can find an answer for you.

I'd like to incourage any MAL's to contact me regarding membership. Maybe NOVA is a good place for you to call home. This unit will enable you to vote, and also save you a few bucks!

www.campnova.com

Old 11-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
We are in. This is a great idea.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Dan,
I'm sure we can be "aflliliates", so no need to read the rule book on that account. What I doubt is that we could be counted in the 10 "official" members you need to start the unit that would have their WBCCI memberships thru NOVA. But assuming you get those 10, we should be able to be #11.

In the interest of looking for "like minds", I'd suggest you contact all of the folks that were at "The Wilds" event. You might get a couple of new members or a couple of members that are willing to switch units officially. Here is a post I recently found on the new WBCCI Forums from Atobols (Jason and Andrea) that are looking for fellow Airstreams in Ohio (maybe they'd consider switching their primary membership from the WDCU to NOVA):
http://forum.wbcci.org/new-members-m...streamers.html
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Great idea. If I hadn't pledged my allegiance to WDCU last year, I'd likely be all-over such an opportunity as this as I too did not find any of the existing Ohio units in my area to my liking. However, I think I'm in the same boat as Joe right now. I'm already a member of WDCU and have no desire to move my "main" membership elsewhere at this time. I'd be happy to pledge the affiliate fee to NOVA if established and if my pledge of affiliate can help toward the requirements of formation / charter, then great. Keep us posted.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Greetings All,

I'd like to invite all interested parties to the Airforums Chat room this Sunday from 8pm till about 9pm EST to discuss NOVA.

We can discuss what lies ahead of us and possible dates for a first rally.

www.campnova.com

Old 12-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Greetings All,

I'd like to invite all interested parties to the Airforums Chat room this Sunday from 8pm till about 8pm EST to discuss NOVA.

We can discuss what lies ahead of us and possible dates for a first rally.

Short meetings for sure!!! HA HA HA HA ... Sorry Dan I could not stop myself. I will try to be there. Thanks Mike

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
chat

We will try and be there too.
Failing that I hope that you will post more info. on this thread when you can.
We will be checking in here regularly.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Correction on the above post coming...... (9pm)

And I am working on some info to post soon I hope! I just want it to be as correct as possible.

www.campnova.com

Old 12-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Sounds interesting to me as a fairly new AS owner!

When we bought the trailer last year, I had initially planned on joining the WBCCI but was being put off by all the negative stuff I was reading here, so just biding my time at the moment!

If NOVA shapes up, would the fees be the same as my local unit (Ontario)

I still would not be thrilled to see most of my $$ going to folks that, as far as I understand are just having a good old time at my expense! (and dressing up like WW veterans while doing it) At least, that is the impression I am getting!

In any event, would NOVA membership get me into Airstream only parks? Would it get me into local WBCCI events (or others) as a full and equal WBCCI member?

If I have the belief that my local WBCCI Unit (if that is the right term) is a pretty good outfit, which it seems to be, despite the shenanigans I have read about at the National, would there still be some advantage to joining NOVA instead of the local unit?

Sorry for all the questions, as a neophyte, I'm still trying hard to understand all this political stuff - but nevertheless still managing to have good fun with our AS all the while despite it all!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Hi Brian,

Congrats on your new Airstream! Let me try to answer some of your questions......

"If NOVA shapes up, would the fees be the same as my local unit (Ontario)"

- I don't know what Ontario's fees are. The fee for NOVA will be decided by its membership. The charter membership will cost $56. This is $55 for international, plus $1 for NOVA. You will not find fees much lower!

"...would NOVA membership get me into Airstream only parks?"

- Your Airstream will get you in to Airstream only parks. WBCCI will get you into WBCCI parks.

"Would it get me into local WBCCI events (or others) as a full and equal WBCCI member?"

- Getting into local WBCCI events will depend on the local unit. You will be a full WBCCI member. NOVA membership is exactly equal to all other WBCCI full memberships.

"If I have the belief that my local WBCCI Unit (if that is the right term) is a pretty good outfit, which it seems to be, despite the shenanigans I have read about at the National, would there still be some advantage to joining NOVA instead of the local unit?"

- It is the intention of NOVA to operate as much "online" as possible. You may expect daily interaction and contact with fellow members. I'm betting that our rallies will be diverse. If you are more "old school" and wish for conventional meetings, you may want to stick with a traditional unit.

Again, welcome! I encourage you to stop by this Sunday at 8pm est in the chat room. We can "meet" there!

For those that have never used the chat room, it is actually easy! Just click thru the menus.

-DanB

www.campnova.com

Old 12-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi Brian,

Congrats on your new Airstream! Let me try to answer some of your questions......

-DanB

Many thanks Dan - certainly sounds interesting and may be the way to go in my case.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Just a quick reminder that a casual gathering to discuss NOVA will take place tonight from 8 till 9 EST in the chat room tonight. We will go over where we stand in regards to meeting our goals.

See you there, all are invited!

www.campnova.com

Old 12-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I will set my alarm. I think this is just what I would like, having been a MAL and a member of various units local and distant, an internet unit is overdue. Ohio is also a place we camp often as well. I like the idea of never missing business meetings because I can be there online!!!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
open chat going on now please join in.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
Old 12-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
please join in the chat room if you are interested

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
Sounds interesting

Sounds interesting.
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
bump

Larry and I are interested in doing this! I have to get busy on the forms. Hope some of the rest of you will join us in this venture. Dan says we need a few more!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote