Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #81
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
Richfield , Ohio
Hello:
I am new to these forums. I have a few questions for the people who may be starting this NOVA. Here they are...

1- How long have you been a members of the WBCCI?

2- Did you , or do you belong to a Unit? what was the reason for breaking away and starting a new unit?

3- What are the benefits that are spoken here of NOVA as opposed to other already established Units?

These are a few questions, I would like to know. Before I consider throwing my money to someone that I have never met, or anyone over the internet.

It is always easy for everyone to chime in, I am sure the intentions are good. But I would like to discuss this with who is starting it... From what I see Loudruff. I am older, but young at heart. The WBCCI has been that for me. I have never noticed an age issue with the WBCCI. I dropped out for a bit, but am rejoining.

Willy
FreeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Hi Willy,

Welcome to the forums!

My name is Dan Bihary, I'm spearheading the effort to organize NOVA. Thanks for the questions. Please allow me to answer them inline:

1- How long have you been a members of the WBCCI?

ANSWER: To date we have 10 new members of the WBCCI, 1 transfer, and 14 affiliate members of the WBCCI applying for membership in NOVA

2- Did you , or do you belong to a Unit? what was the reason for breaking away and starting a new unit?

ANSWER: I do not belong to the WBCCI. I have camped, caravanned, and participated with several WBCCI members in various units around the Ohio area. NOVA is being formed take advantage of technologies enabling daily online interaction.

3- What are the benefits that are spoken here of NOVA as opposed to other already established Units?

ANSWER: Every WBCCI unit offers a unique personality. I would invite you to investigate where you may fit best.

Please visit Home - NOVA for a full description of what NOVA is about.

These are a few questions, I would like to know. Before I consider throwing my money to someone that I have never met, or anyone over the internet.

ANSWER: It is important that all understand that nobody except the WBCCI headquarters will accept any funds. I am collecting information and applicants may choose to either mail me a check made out to the WBCCI or wait for a call from them for credit card info.

--------------------

Again, welcome to the forums! I invite you to come aboard with NOVA and be part of a new adventure. We are all about having fun!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #83
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
Richfield , Ohio
I appreciate the fast answeres. I am intrested in the WBCCI again in general, and If I under stand it right, you are not a member... How can a person start a unit in a club they are not members of ???

I will check out the home page, as I go threw this Airforums website, I see alot of complaining about the WBCCI. 1 lady is quiting because of something that she said happened although not in the WBCCI or this chat forums. I am confused.

1- more question... I see this is a virtual unit? is that just the name, or is this all internet based? I want to camp like I used to when I belonged before, I am not planning to spend anytime on the internet in doors, but would rather be camping.

When I see Virtual, I think of that one Sylvester Stallone movie, when he was frozen and then brougth back to hunt a killer, and he put on this head gear for there version of sex... I can say I am not intrested in that. Although it may come to that if gas prices keep going up...
Old 12-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Very good cooperation is being maintained by myself and the Regional President. We are doing our best to form a new unit that fills the needs of what may be considered a non-traditional member.

I can assure you that "virtual" is not science fiction! The concept of NOVA will be to use the internet as much as possible for communications, meetings, an general organizations. But, it will in no way replace camping! NOVA will have rallies and other activities. We already have two on the calendar for next year.

I see you have a new, very nice, trailer! May I ask what unit you used to belong to and how long ago?

www.campnova.com

Old 12-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
Fees associated with NOVA

Young at heart and acceptance of any age is important in life. Being a retired (hopefully not a bad word) educator young at heart was always important to understand the students and the same for them to understand aging teacher/population. Went through the 60's and what the youth thought about older people not understanding them. hummmm!!! When my wife and I joined our unit, both of us were gainfully employed. The past 2 presidents for our unit are both gainfully employed and seemed to do just fine with a unit of retired people. Please don't take these comments wrong just thinking out loud. I guess we are fortunate to belong to a progressive unit. We have traveled and camped much on our own and met lots of nice people wherever we have ventured.
My wife and I still enjoy learning from people older and younger than us. As has been said "Life is good".

I guess I have missed this somewhere in the dialog but to belong to the NOVA group a person will still have to pay dues to the WBCCI and then join NOVA?

Part of what I have seen on the forum site/sites is the cost of doing business for the WBCCI. For those that are unhappy about the rising dues than is NOVA for them? I appreciate your time informing me of my understanding or misunderstanding of NOVA. I have been watching the progress of NOVA and I to, congratulate you on your progress.
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
NOVA will be a unit of the WBCCI. As of right now, the fees are $55 towards international, and $1 to NOVA.

Affiliate membership requires you to be a member in another unit of the WBCCI. The fee for this is $1.

I'm wondering if a category such as "Friends of NOVA" should exist?

www.campnova.com

Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
I will be your friend, Dan! WBCCI, NOVA or Not!! LOL!!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
NOVA will be a unit of the WBCCI. As of right now, the fees are $55 towards international, and $1 to NOVA.

Affiliate membership requires you to be a member in another unit of the WBCCI. The fee for this is $1.

I'm wondering if a category such as "Friends of NOVA" should exist?
Dan,

I sent in our membership through the NOVA website. Will fees be charged only if NOVA has been approved?

Thanks,
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post
Dan,

I sent in our membership through the NOVA website. Will fees be charged only if NOVA has been approved?

Thanks,
Yep, that is our understanding too!
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 12-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Just fyi--did you know that NOVA is usually considered shorthand for NOrthern VirginiA?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I'm in

Sent a check in today. This ol' MAL has been converted. I'll be able to save $20 on my membership. Being able to vote is also a benefit. Gosh, I feel 18 again.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #92
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
Richfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Very good cooperation is being maintained by myself and the Regional President. We are doing our best to form a new unit that fills the needs of what may be considered a non-traditional member.

I can assure you that "virtual" is not science fiction! The concept of NOVA will be to use the internet as much as possible for communications, meetings, an general organizations. But, it will in no way replace camping! NOVA will have rallies and other activities. We already have two on the calendar for next year.

I see you have a new, very nice, trailer! May I ask what unit you used to belong to and how long ago?
I belonged to the Cleveland Unit years ago. A great group. I have many good memories. We went to Alaska one year. It was so cold, the road we were on was gravel and dirt, and the borometer dropped a few of us lost some windows in our units. These things are tough I tell ya.

Another memory was we took off on another trip up into canada, I used to tell the kids (they were 18) this time we didnt LOL. They tried to file a missing persons report. We were way up north, a mounted officer came and checked in on us, told us we were camping on an iced over lake. He said we would be fine, then came back and informed us about the state wide bullettin looking for us by our kids...LOL saw the Northern lights many times.

I just find it so hard to believe the WBCCI has changed that much.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
defining

NOVA-noun/-vi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation a star that suddenly becomes thousands of times brighter and then gradually fades to its original intensity.

Yep...that sounds like us! LOL
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Folks,

We are about at the one week countdown for charter memberships in NOVA.

I am very aware of the decision of some of our friends regarding the WBCCI. I wish them well, and I look forward to seeing them down the road.

My choice is to believe that the vast majority of the WBCCI membership, including its leadership, are good people doing their best.

I have received comments whether NOVA is still going forward. The answer is very much so. My communications with the Regional President have been very friendly and professional.

I continue to invite anyone to consider joining NOVA. A full description of our intentions can be found at Home - NOVA

Merry Christmas!

www.campnova.com

Old 12-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #95
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
Richfield , Ohio
I want to say, that I have been researching this NOVA, and other Units... Here is what I am not understanding, and it is the problem across this great nation. NOVA is a potential Unit in the WBCCI being started by people who are also not in the WBCCI. Now... If it does get allowed to charter, the WBCCI will be starting another Unit on top of Units already in existance. This make no sense since it may delute the membership in a region. Lorain and La Grange are with in the greater cleveland area. Out side people are showing enthusiasim, but it is because they think it will be like the WDCU unit, Which while NOVA will be like it, The WDCU unit was started in a location that did not have a Unit, thus attracting new membership. To me, this new unit (NOVA) will further erode this club for the simple geographic location.

In short, Burger Kings arent next to Burger Kings, SO another club over a WBCCI unit is normal, Not WBCCI units over WBCCI Units.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Let's be fair in our analogies! NOVA will be more like a Hooters than a Burger King. Same food, just more attractive.

wow. I can't believe I just typed that....

www.campnova.com

Old 12-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWilly View Post
If it does get allowed to charter, the WBCCI will be starting another Unit on top of Units already in existance. This make no sense since it may delute the membership in a region.
Another unit on top of units already in the nothern Ohio region, yes. Dilute the existing units, doubtful. The whole draw to NOVA versus other units in the area is that it will be a truly virtual unit. Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, Mohican, Mahoning, etc. all are "bricks & mortar" units. NOVA will conduct business online with the exception of the event of camping. The other units in the area still conduct meetings and have lunches, etc. where people come together at each occasion face-to-face. There's a large contingent of people who can't / don't want to make the time to travel, pack up the kids, eat, etc. for a meeting. Camping for the weekend, no problem; but take 4 hours from one of my weekend days to travel and have lunch and come home...no thank you. I'll easily give 1 hour from my home PC where I can occupy the kids elsewhere in the house and where I can eat leftovers from the fridge rather than spending $30 for lunch for the family + $10 in gas round-trip. That's the beauty of NOVA.

I've been down the path before looking for a local unit in Ohio to bond with / join. I ended up with WDCU and remain there today. I've pledged my affiliate-ship with NOVA and would switch to NOVA from WDCU once everything is up and running. Ultimately I want to have local fellowship, but the people have to be people I want to be with and the meetings, etc. have to be something that doesn't cause me to put my life on hold for 1/2 a day and spend $40 just to attend a lunch. If I'm eating lunch with my fellow unit members, it better be within close proximity of a bunch of Airstreams (i.e. camping)

In short: If you want the luncheon, meeting around a table, face-to-face kind of WBCCI unit, then there's many in the northern Ohio area that you can experience and join. If you want to have be able to communicate and conduct business from your home / PC and concentrate on camping more so than luncheons, then NOVA is the way to go.

Even WDCU's online-ness has been diluted. NOVA takes it a step further. On a personal note, I'm contemplating how long my involvement with WBCCI will continue (reasons and musings not appropriate to this thread). But, if NOVA is established in the manner in which it has been laid out then it would very likely be a reason for me to justify continuance in the WBCCI in spite of the concerns that I have about the organization as a whole. NOVA is poised to set a new standard.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
and

And the MENU is much different!!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 12-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Another unit on top of units already in the nothern Ohio region, yes. Dilute the existing units, doubtful. The whole draw to NOVA versus other units in the area is that it will be a truly virtual unit. Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, Mohican, Mahoning, etc. all are "bricks & mortar" units. NOVA will conduct business online with the exception of the event of camping. The other units in the area still conduct meetings and have lunches, etc. where people come together at each occasion face-to-face. There's a large contingent of people who can't / don't want to make the time to travel, pack up the kids, eat, etc. for a meeting. Camping for the weekend, no problem; but take 4 hours from one of my weekend days to travel and have lunch and come home...no thank you. I'll easily give 1 hour from my home PC where I can occupy the kids elsewhere in the house and where I can eat leftovers from the fridge rather than spending $30 for lunch for the family + $10 in gas round-trip. That's the beauty of NOVA.

I've been down the path before looking for a local unit in Ohio to bond with / join. I ended up with WDCU and remain there today. I've pledged my affiliate-ship with NOVA and would switch to NOVA from WDCU once everything is up and running. Ultimately I want to have local fellowship, but the people have to be people I want to be with and the meetings, etc. have to be something that doesn't cause me to put my life on hold for 1/2 a day and spend $40 just to attend a lunch. If I'm eating lunch with my fellow unit members, it better be within close proximity of a bunch of Airstreams (i.e. camping)

In short: If you want the luncheon, meeting around a table, face-to-face kind of WBCCI unit, then there's many in the northern Ohio area that you can experience and join. If you want to have be able to communicate and conduct business from your home / PC and concentrate on camping more so than luncheons, then NOVA is the way to go.

Even WDCU's online-ness has been diluted. NOVA takes it a step further. On a personal note, I'm contemplating how long my involvement with WBCCI will continue (reasons and musings not appropriate to this thread). But, if NOVA is established in the manner in which it has been laid out then it would very likely be a reason for me to justify continuance in the WBCCI in spite of the concerns that I have about the organization as a whole. NOVA is poised to set a new standard.
Well said, Jason. That is exactly why NOVA is attractive to us. Plus the membership dues are not outrageous for the local membership. We do not need more infrastructure riding on the fees. Plus I like the idea of camping with folks who actually like pot luck dinners and sharing rather than being at restaurants etc.; and the laid back casual style. No fuss, no muss.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Sometimes I reply to quick to posts. This is probably the case in my last response to Freewilly. I'm sorry! My statement was out of line.

It has never been the intention of NOVA to cause disruption or the erosion of neighboring units. I have been specifically asked to not recruit from the Cleveland and Akron area.

Truthfully, we could be called the Northern Oklahoma Virtual Unit and we would have the same effect on these groups. We are geographically bound only because it is a requirement. To date I have rec'd applications ranging from California to Canada. Shall we dismiss these members?

NOVA is being created to fulfill a need. Akron and Cleveland exist to fulfill a need. I have said it before, and I'll repeat it: PLEASE consider all units before choosing! You may find the activities and calendar more attractive with a different unit. Akron had some great events last year. Cleveland has some great ones planned this year! NOVA will also!

The charter membership period of NOVA is coming to a close. Our roster and additional paperwork will be submitted directly after the holiday. I look forward to seeing our friends down the road soon after.

www.campnova.com