Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Could someone please restate the current number of members and what was the number of attendance at the International for 2012 without comparison or analysis? I am actually missing the numbers, where they are. Thanks.
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #102
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
The answer is to make it fun.
I pretty much agree with your comments above. The exception is that I don't think you can "make it" anything other than what it is. Most people believe that all organizations can "become" something other than what they are. I don't think history bears that out. Plenty of examples show that organizations are birthed with some mission, and when the world changes, what really happens is that NEW organizations are birthed to serve the new missions as the old orders just fade away. e.g. Grange.

Being new to Airstreaming, I don't carry a lot of history. When I go to AS events the most common refrain I hear is this: "I don't care about all that political club crap. I only care about meeting people, travel and having fun. The old geezers can have their pow-wows, I am not interested."

It only took me a few club events to see the military roots and martial instincts of the club. If there is anything more calcifying than the military, I don't know what it is. "We've always done it this way."

Wally is dead. Probably what is needed is a new visionary "salesman." I say that affectionately. A salesman sets the vision and the dream. Airstreaming is infectiously fun and interesting, but we need a new vision. Once it occurs, people will flock to it and a new organization will emerge with modern values and purposes and goals and activities.

I am enjoying the club now because I enjoy the people and the process. So again, I bear no ill feeling to the people who are "trapped" in an ill-fitting organization.

I hope the new thing - whatever it is - emerges while I can still enjoy it! I'd be thrilled to be a part of a "new frontier" of Airstreamers - going where no one has gone before! (Metaphorically, of course).

Until then, we will enjoy the club as best we can. I won't however be wasting energy on things like the MoHo issue. Life is too short.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Could someone please restate the current number of members and what was the number of attendance at the International for 2012 without comparison or analysis? I am actually missing the numbers, where they are. Thanks.
On 4/18/2012 when I last asked Cindy Reed there were 5651 members

there were 458 KNOWN motorhomes

There were 597 MAL's

The last number mentioned on the broadcast yesterday was 451 trailers/moho at the rally.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #104
Certifiable

. , .
... 4793 members were represented by the 451 rigs in attendance (I added the 3rd VP votes together to get this number).
Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
... 4793 members were represented by the 451 rigs in attendance (I added the 3rd VP votes together to get this number).
The total membership numbers would be higher though because some units did not have a delegate present.. I think 107? units were represented out of 121 but am pulling those numbers from memory.. Should have written them down.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #106
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
The answer is to make it fun. We attended the Madison international which was only 2 hours away. It was our first and last international. We are only 6 hours from Sedalia and we didn't even consider attending. Until the rally becomes fun and priced reasonably, we will not even consider attending another International. I do not want to be paying for "volunteers" to show up 4 weeks early on my dime.

There are a lot of other fun alternatives now - Allumanpolozza, Alumanfandago, Birthday Bash, Airfourm rallies, etc. The ways of the club are calcified and the older generation in leadership will not change. I believe that the club will bottom out with about 2,000 to 3,000 members down from the approximately 5,600 today. If SOB's are allowed in, then the decrease will be significantly faster. By the time leadership figures out that they need to change it may be too late. The leadership must first acknowledge that there is a serious problem and that if not fixed the club could go out of existence. An analogy is an alcoholic; until the alcoholic acknowledges that they are an alcoholic, they cannot begin meaningful and sustainable change. Many alcoholics never beat the disease. However, with the club I believe that the older generation in leadership just don't care about the long term survival of the club. As long as the club can survive while they are members, why change. I have accepted this and the WBCCI is not my primary avenue for Airstream fun.

As has been shown throughout the history of the world, those who don't adapt to the new environment go extinct.
Join TAC, its all of the things WBCCI is not.

Gary
TAC OH-19
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
What is TAC?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
The Airstreamer's Club
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #109
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
TAC is a wannabe WBCCI without all the hassles, rules, discipline and history. Not the same but the best for some of us. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
I would like to know how many of the total counted attendees at the International are "volunteers" getting to spend a mo.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #111
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
Join TAC, its all of the things WBCCI is not.
True (in fact, TAC is not-a-club, as the founders early posts on Airforums explain), but it is not clear that TAC has any answers, either.

From what I have heard, the attendance at TAC's [Wally Byam's] Birthday Bash is declining even faster than attendance at the WBCCI International, on a percentage basis. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #112
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
I believe there were about 200+ rigs here as "early workers". I feel that is too many, some of these folks work very hard as "volunteers" so don't try to make all as getting a free month. The parking crew, traffic control, verification have been working out in 95-100 degree temps every day. Also the members of the club band and chorus come in early to practice. Now, a person doesn't need to come in early to co-ordinate bridge etc. so some folks don't work so hard. Most early workers arrived around the 15th. Next year, the water crew will put down the water lines, so will have much work to do. Also, next year, the "sanitation" crew will be busy, so if you want to come early there will be work. The intent is that the rally will get where it will require many less early workers and that the "many" aren't paying for the few.

I am being installed as the president of region 3, and so far have not been provided with any free meals, in fact I've paid for all of them and have paid from my pocket for my flags, region clothing, and the fuel to get here. I believe in the club and am working to keep it going....as are many members.
jaydthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
True (in fact, TAC is not-a-club, as the founders early posts on Airforums explain), but it is not clear that TAC has any answers, either.

From what I have heard, the attendance at TAC's [Wally Byam's] Birthday Bash is declining even faster than attendance at the WBCCI International, on a percentage basis. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)
Interesting comments. I did take a quick look at the web site. Probably not quite what I am looking for. I'd like to see some modern and useful purposes.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
On 4/18/2012 when I last asked Cindy Reed there were 5651 members

there were 458 KNOWN motorhomes

There were 597 MAL's

The last number mentioned on the broadcast yesterday was 451 trailers/moho at the rally.
Thanks Rick.

597 MALs. They pay an extra surcharge fee because the IBT wants to eliminate and discourage their class (is that discrimination legal?) and they don't get a vote (speaking of which how went the motion for a vote for MALs?) and yet they outnumber the EC, the IBT, all the volunteers together!!! Unit 000 would have some major clout if organized. It appears 451 moho owners( or at the very least a PIP or so and friends) are far more equal than 597 MALs. Is that the "weighted" vote I have heard of?
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydthompson View Post
. Next year, the water crew will put down the water lines, so will have much work to do. Also, next year, the "sanitation" crew will be busy, so if you want to come early there will be work. The intent is that the rally will get where it will require many less early workers and that the "many" aren't paying for the few.

I am being installed as the president of region 3, and so far have not been provided with any free meals, in fact I've paid for all of them and have paid from my pocket for my flags, region clothing, and the fuel to get here. I believe in the club and am working to keep it going....as are many members.
The need for water lines and a sanitation crew would imply that next years site isn't as highly developed as the last several locations.

It would probably be wishful thinking that a generator or boondocking or 3 amp section could be returning? Any one know next years pricing.

Perhaps the free meals have been removed from the budget. I do remember invites to a dress up dinner of some sort when I was VAC prez 10 years ago. ( I did not go)

The parkers are probably some of the hardest workers at the rally and it is not a job I would want but overall the early worker thing has been taken advantage of by many It is my understanding that other organizations do not hit their rally sites nearly so soon and not with as many. Perhaps they hire some outside planners?

It also appears that other clubs (Escapees, FMCA, Good Sam) can put on rallies at the same locations at a lower per day cost. I think Escapees will be using the Sedalia site soon and they have all used Gillette.

I have no plans to leave the club as long as it remains an Airstream club and I have already paid my dues for next year.

On the other hand there are no International rallies in our future under the present pricing/full hook up only structure.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post

It is probably too soon to judge. There have been only 2 TAC bashes so far.
There was a drop the second year but like anything new the first year draws some extra attention.
We will be at the bash in a few days so will better know the attendance then but my gut feeling is it will be consistent with last year. ( I have no information, just a guess).
This will be our 3rd one and we have thoroughly enjoyed them.

The same is probably true of the Pocono NASCAR rally.
We attended the first and liked it even though I am not a race fan. We skipped last year, primarily because of the travel distance but it is still on the table for this season.

I believe Pocono could have been a highly successful special events rally if the person behind it had not been expelled from the club.

Actually it should be noted that BOTH the Birthday Bash and the Pocono Rally were originally planned as WBCCI rallies.. Draw your own conclusion.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #117
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Of course, a club has to change with the times, and its organizing rules must be such that change is organically possible: Nothing is absolutely written in stone so that it cannot be changed. All of that obtains, I think, for the WBCCI. The question is whether change happens in the right direction or speed, or, indeed, too fast or in the wrong direction. To a certain degree, knowing just the right mix is like reading a crystal ball, a pessimistic conclusion that should nonetheless never prevent one from trying.

Indeed, the FMCA is undergoing similar pain. Good friends of ours, who are here for a month or so, are connected in with the leadership of that club and report very similar discussions about attracting younger members, losing current members, and so forth.

I think organizations like ours and similar ones will survive, though not necessarily always in ways that we might like. Some growing segments of our society appear to have a pretty negative attitude toward the whole RVing endeavor. Check this article, for instance:

Gen Y and automobiles

I might also offer a revealing post from RV.net this morning:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Rallies, Shows and Gatherings: A New FMCA Maybe?

Lynn
Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #118
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
It also appears that other clubs (Escapees, FMCA, Good Sam) can put on rallies at the same locations at a lower per day cost. I think Escapees will be using the Sedalia site soon and they have all used Gillette.
Rick:

The Escapees held an Escapade at Sedalia in May 2009 are having another Escapade in Sedalia this year from September 16th through the 21st. They are charging $235 for the generator section and $285 for full hookups. (This is for two people.) They have a couple who are the planners and are in charge of organizing it. They have a few people come in one week early. It's a fun rally.

Why the difference in price between the WBCCI and the SKP's? The WBCCI is run like the government and Escapees is run like a business.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydthompson View Post
I believe there were about 200+ rigs here as "early workers". I feel that is too many, some of these folks work very hard as "volunteers" so don't try to make all as getting a free month. The parking crew, traffic control, verification have been working out in 95-100 degree temps every day. Also the members of the club band and chorus come in early to practice. Now, a person doesn't need to come in early to co-ordinate bridge etc. so some folks don't work so hard. Most early workers arrived around the 15th. Next year, the water crew will put down the water lines, so will have much work to do. Also, next year, the "sanitation" crew will be busy, so if you want to come early there will be work. The intent is that the rally will get where it will require many less early workers and that the "many" aren't paying for the few.

Are you saying 200+ volunteers of the 451 rigs attending? I know it takes a large group of hard working volunteers to put on an International but 200?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #120
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:

Why the difference in price between the WBCCI and the SKP's? The WBCCI is run like the government and Escapees is run like a business.
A darn funny line!