Old 03-21-2005, 06:48 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
All we had done to that point was set up a theme and choose a date which while was in the same month of a unit rally, but did not conflict. One other thing we planned on doing differently however was opening this rally up to all Airstreamers. Those in the unit, those on the Internet, and others in the STL area who didn't belong. Part of this opening up was due to the fact that our unit only allowed non members to attend one rally a year. From that conversation with the President it was noted that they didn't want to splinter the unit. I pointed out to him that his attitude was part of the problem in that we tended to be exclusinary rather than open the doors to others.
Jack, you hit the problem on the head! It's why I haven't wanted to co-organize any rally with a local unit as they only want WBCCI members to attend. That leaves forum members out. I remember some saying that they didn't want anybody taking advantage of the WBCCI dues paying members. Their thinking was that if an Airstreamer wants to join a rally then they can join the WBCCI. That's the rules, and their sticking to it. There we go again with the rules. Rules for this, rules for that. And then there are the self-appointed enforcers. Gimme a break! I think all rallies should be open to all. I mean, the rally planning doesn't take that much effort, it's being done anyways, and the more the merrier- so why not? Oh yeah, it's the rules.

And I wouldn't mind discussing this with officers from a local unit but with the exception of JBMcG, no Northern Cal WBCCI members are on this forum, much unit officers. Communicating by email would be difficult since few even have email addresses. I've often thought about creating our own unit with the NorCal Rally gang but have you seen the rules? Who wants to subjected to all those rules when it works now without them?

Maybe someday a local unit and NorCal Forum members will rally together. Who knows when the twains shall meet? I think that is where the successful future of the WBCCI lies- with the forum and its members. If your a non-retired Airstreamer, then this place (the forum) is where it's at and the WBCCI needs to act more like this place and try to provide for forum members what we find here. This place is free and growing, afterall.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:34 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
5) Why is the International held the same ten days every year. I know, I know- it's Wally's birthday.
The date has nothing to do with Wally's Birthday. The date is chosen (by constitution) to include both the US and Canadian Independance days. There is also the constitutional ability to move the date if necessary (availability of a suitable site, etc.).

The great problem with the current International is the availability large sites that will allow their facilities to be tied up for over a month. They can make more money with other usage.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:55 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
International Changes

Greetings Pahaska!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
The date has nothing to do with Wally's Birthday. The date is chosen (by constitution) to include both the US and Canadian Independance days. There is also the constitutional ability to move the date if necessary (availability of a suitable site, etc.).

The great problem with the current International is the availability large sites that will allow their facilities to be tied up for over a month. They can make more money with other usage.
Agreed, the WBCCI constitution sets the dates for International, but one of the topics of my "First-Timers" seminar back in 1999 at the WBCCI International in Boise was that the date also incorporated Wally's birthday - - according to all of what I have seen published, his birthdate was: July 4, 1896 (in Baker, OR) with his passing noted on July 22, 1962.

One of the things that attracted me to the WBCCI was the tradition - - and I will admit that I have always liked the way in which the club honors its past and the driving force behind the founding of Airstream. I guess that I am still classed among the "younger" members - - I was 36 when I joined almost ten years ago.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:00 PM   #60
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
As a matter of fact we talked to some of the local officers before doing any advertising. So it was all on the up and up. ......

..... From that conversation with the President it was noted that they didn't want to splinter the unit. I pointed out to him that his attitude was part of the problem in that we tended to be exclusinary rather than open the doors to others.

The thing that just floors me is that the President of your unit would assume that members would pick one rally over another.

How un WBCCI like would it be to attend TWO rallies in the same month.

Being open to new ideas and experiences is how we grow. Letting the members know you are dong this shows that YOU are not trying to be exclusionary. Does the unit President have a splinter group that he is worried about? If so he needs to deal with the issue, not quash new ideas to maintain control over possible dissatisfied members.

This is just my opinion, but I would apply the Popeye principal on this one. I am what I am, If you don't like the idea, don't come to the non-sanctioned event. If you do like the idea, try it, you might have some fun!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:08 AM   #61

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As I noted earlier I'm going to do a rally next June which traditionally has not been done in our unit, due to some of our folks being early workers at the International. The incoming president is all for change but I wonder if we will get some grumbles when he announces the schedule later this year...My guess is that since next year's International is west, we will get a pretty good turnout. Oh one other departure from the past, this rally will be a no-host. This means no bingo, no early AM breakfast, no tours at the organ factory, and to make it even more interesting, we are going to a state park. And there is another big surprise about this rally that will come at announcement time late this year.

I keep hearing the line James Earl Jones did in the movie Field of Dreams. "People will come Ray...people will come".

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:12 AM   #62
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Jack.....you are the type of person that fully describes my signature at the end of the posts lately......
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:45 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
revolution, or evolution?

Quote:
Jack, you hit the problem on the head! It's why I haven't wanted to co-organize any rally with a local unit as they only want WBCCI members to attend. That leaves forum members out. I remember some saying that they didn't want anybody taking advantage of the WBCCI dues paying members. Their thinking was that if an Airstreamer wants to join a rally then they can join the WBCCI. That's the rules, and their sticking to it.
I'm confused. Why would someone want to attend the rallies of the local WBCCI unit but not want to join and support the club? Why would the WBCCI want to invite non-dues paying attendees into the unit to influence and make change in the organization?

About Jack's post -- if the WBCCI unit is afraid of splintering, then they probably have more reason to be worried than those who would want to splinter off. If they can't change, they should be ready for a splinter group to succeed in breaking off and creating their own local unit of WBCCI. That's what evolution is about isn't it? You try to work from within, and when that fails, you move on without and the group unwilling to change fades away eventually.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:03 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
I'm confused. Why would someone want to attend the rallies of the local WBCCI unit but not want to join and support the club? Why would the WBCCI want to invite non-dues paying attendees into the unit to influence and make change in the organization?
Wow, think of it. Actually do something different. Have a no host rally where Forum members are invited or any Airstreamer. No exclusions. No ceremonies. Just have a good time. Maybe the unit can pick up some new members and build a future?

Or maybe not.

Come rally with us.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:13 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Wow, think of it. Actually do something different. Have a no host rally where Forum members are invited or any Airstreamer. No exclusions. No ceremonies. Just have a good time. Maybe the unit can pick up some new members and build a future?
Oops, sorry. I'm still new to this WBCCI stuff and trying to understand it. I thought a Buddy Rally, or Buddy Rendezvous was what you are describing above. Doesn't the WBCCI already do that?
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 03-22-2005, 10:25 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Oops, sorry. I'm still new to this WBCCI stuff and trying to understand it. I thought a Buddy Rally, or Buddy Rendezvous was what you are describing above. Doesn't the WBCCI already do that?
That's what they need to do around here. Have a few buddy rallies, promote them on the forum. Or just co-rally with a forum rally. Recruit new members. Seems a good idea to me.

Come rally with us.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #67
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:

Or maybe not.
Can you imagine it, members and non-members camping together? To take a clip from Ghostbusters (adding a few Airstream touches to it) as Jack proposes an outside the box idea to his WBCCI President:

President of Jack's group: This WBCCI Unit is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

Jack: What do you mean, biblical?

Patty: What he means is Old Testament, Jack... real Wrath-of-God-type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies.

Jack: Rivers and seas boiling?

Patty: 40 years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanos.

Silvertwinkie:The dead rising from the grave!

President of Jack's group: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!

In all seriousness, it would sure be a breath of fresh air around here if some rally like Jack has talked about were to happen.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:51 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
I'm confused. Why would someone want to attend the rallies of the local WBCCI unit but not want to join and support the club? Why would the WBCCI want to invite non-dues paying attendees into the unit to influence and make change in the organization? .
1) Because they like meeting new people with AS
2) They want to try before they buy
3) They avoid the bs of "official" stuff and people who think of new members as "influence(s) that change ..the organization.
4) They are curious
5) They avoid things if they don't how "the rules .. "
6) They don't like ham in hat water for dinner
ect, ect, ect,

""Why would the WBCCI want to invite non-dues paying attendees into the unit to influence and make change in the organization? ""

That is priceless. Should be a WBCCI bumper sticker, says it all.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #69

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:

Or maybe not.
Ah, now you have zeroed in on my big surprise for my June '06 rally and you guys may be part of it!

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
I think I wasn't clear on what I was trying to say. What I was hearing was that some people who wrote in this thread wanted to be part of the WBCCI rallies for reasons like Over59 mentioned (they like meeting new people with AS and hanging out with other AS owners) but they wanted to do this without joining and paying the dues, like party crashing. If you want to "try before you buy" then that would be a good reason for going to a buddy rally or buddy rendezvous and checking it out. And if you "don't like ham in hat water for dinner" then that would be a good reason for not wanting to attend a rally with people who were serving ham in hat water, but then why complain that they don't allow you to go if you don't want that? So if the idea is that you DO want to attend WBCCI rallies and hang out with the WBCCI members and rally and you just don't like paying dues, well I don't get why WBCCI would allow people to do that. It seems like you have to pay to play. Otherwise, start your own club and hold your own rallies.

If the idea is that you would like to be part of WBCCI but you want it to be different than it is, then I think the best route is to join and help make change (like Jack is doing) rather than expect that WBCCI will invite you (a non-member) to tell them how to change the club on the chance that you might join if they do as you say. It's very hard to change an organization to satisfy people who are not members against the wishes of the members. Much easier to change to please the membership.

Personally, I'd like to see the WBCCI evolve and change in the direction that many younger working members and members with young families would like to see it change. That's why I've joined the WBCCI and the VAC. As for changes in the international rally, I'm all for it.

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650