Old 03-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #43
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I suppose one has to take into account that all is not like it is in your neck of the woods.

Appreciate what WBCCI has done? Sure, back in the day, it met what the crowd it served wanted. Now, through natural means and such, there is a whole different crowd it needs to cater to, knowing full well you won't please all of the folks out there, but let's be honest, it doesn't even serve 10% of all Streamers on the road today. How do I come up with that? Well for starters there is a large VAC crowd (which by the way might also be 1/4 of the 8000 current members because its required to be a WBCCI member to be a part of VAC from what I understand). Second, there are thousands upon thousands of new Airstreams sold every year, but let's just take into account the last 3 years. In one of those years they included a free membership to WBCCI. The retention of that I would estimate as being very low.

Again, the question remains, if there are so many new Airstreams being sold, so many legacy units on the road (more than any other brand) and the attempt of a free membership to the thousand or so new Airstreams sold in the 2003 model year, why do the numbers still head south or at the very least do not increase nationally (not locally)? Even locally I spoke with an officer of a Midwest unit. They are not adding any new members or loosing any more...just treading water. This seems hard to understand given all the units out there (both new and vintage). The numbers don't lie though and need no manipulation to support what I'm getting at, so clearly there is a problem with WBCCI. Most folks though (in the club) tend to ignore it, but the day is coming when it can't be ignored because what has been discussed now clearly indicates that the future is becoming less and less certain for WBCCI. I think the guy that wrote what Jack posted has what it takes to get us back into WBCCI, but as I said before, I've heard the winds of change speech a few times so far...so keeping an open mind, I'll see what comes of it before making any commitments to such a group.

The bottom line is simple; WBCCI has lost touch with its audience. It needs to re-invent itself holding onto some of the history and look to the future, or like Lee Iacocca said, you can do three things, lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.

I look at WBCCI as a house. It needs to be remodeled from time to time, needs additions and modifications. It first and foremost, needs a strong foundation. In the case of WBCCI, it needs remodeling, the foundation is kind of shaky in some spots and worse yet, the current owner wants the money for the house, but refused to move out and let the remodeling take place. So you have a nice house on a great piece of land that you can do nothing with because the current owner won't complete the transition. It's not that you don't want to get into the house and make the changes, the owner is set in his ways, stubborn and will most likely die in that house until his kids or the state sell it and then and only then can one with fresh ideas get to help make them at the global level that is REQUIRED.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Always taking the chance!

Mary,

I agree that the thread is "suppose" to be about the "changing if the International Rally". But what I find funny is everytime a thread comes up about something having to do with the WBCCI, people who are not even a member of the WBCCI "always" take it as a chance to bash the WBCCI and tell us how screwed up it is! One would think, since this thread is "suppose" to be about changing how International is done, "only" people that are part of the WBCCI would/should respond! But no, I would say over half of the 41 post are about how good/bad the WBCCI/International is or is not and the reason we have members leaving or not signing up. If people who are not members want to talk about how bad things are with the WBCCI/International start a new thread called, "The reason why the WBCCI is so screwed up". Take this thread, print it off and send it to the WBCCI office. Something in writing always has more class than an email.

Paul Waddell

One last thing,
The WBCCI does support the people it needs to, ITS MEMBERS!! They are not here to support people in general who own Airstreams. Oh and by the way, most of the members are over the age of 65!

Old 03-21-2005, 01:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
For WBCCI, I think there is a realization that they are losing market share. For instance the success of Airstream Life demonstrates that there are target audiences that other Airstream publications failed to satisfy.

Mary

PS Berets can be oh so sexy, they just need to be worn with a bit o' attitude !
Not to change the subject - but more to point out what we see as success...Do we actually know of it's success yet - in comparison to what?

If we see the Airstream Life as a success - then we are looking at ourselves a new generation - one that appreciates colour and quality and loves to soak up News of the PRODUCT - news of what people are doing around the world with their airstreams. News of the innovations of new things to come and news of things of yesteryear still plugging on down the road - news of Kewel small businessess popping up to dress up your vintage coaches - and fix the misshaps done to your new coaches......but is the magazine a success what is the measuring stick?

Number of publications printed per year, number of paid subscriptions - what percentage of new Airstream Owners have subscribed in comparison to those who are already WBCCI/VAC members? Get those numbers and There - in will lie the answer to whether it is a real success or not. But at least give the "baby" a year or two - before you start to hack it apart.

I bought mine and the back issues to get my first year under the belt and keep them really nice- in the hope that 50 years from now they will be collector items! but the Sarasota Rally put a punch on that idea - with the Magazines still nestled securely in their magazine rack from the open house the day before- the skys opened up and soaked the lot!

Getting back onto the point - success is in the eyes of the Participants and not necessarily the onlookers.

How many SOB's are made and out on the market in comparison to the number of paid subscriptions to i.e. trailer life or RV'ng this or that. How many members are signed up in the various clubs out their in comparison to their specific product?

We should be so quick to stout of statistics - when it means nothing. Demographics change! Our life is changing our planet is changing - we either live with it or we make the best of it. We either wait for someone else to do it or we jump in and do it our selves.

getting kicked out of a Unit - well I would think approaching the Region with legitimate concerns might be an approach. But before you do your own thing - it might be a good idea to look at how you plan to do it first. Booking things the same date - not communicating with existing members/officers to obtain permission or plan activities in a way that may benefit the club in the future would all be prudent approaches to simple changes.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #46
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sounds to me that some (not all) folks in WBCCI can't take any input that would rock the boat and/or might be taking it way too personally and get or sound very defensive when it comes to the golden WBCCI child. It's funny how we tend to find a comfort zone and think the whole world is like it is in our own back yard.

I for one was a member for a year FWIW.-- I threw away my little red numbers as a result of that WBCCI interaction.

Wish you all that have a functioning local unit the best, but you gotta think globally and act locally. My observation when I was a member was that it was old, stale and not willing to change from the status quo, which is why WBCCI is in the state that it's in. Don't blame me, I and others like me didn't create this mess, but we sure as hell aren't about to pay dues for something that is out of touch with reality in most parts of the country, let alone nationally.

Again, my best to you local units that are making it...I think South Carolina, a few in Texas, a midwest or two units, and Paul's unit. Hopefully you'll be able to share your successes with the national group and help make the needed changes. Until then, it's informal, forum type gatherings with no dues and regular camping that we do without the group.

BTW, Paul, I am glad that WBCCI meets it's current member needs. Though a bit shortsighted because the numbers keep going down. New blood is needed to continue unless this is suppose to be a 1-2 more generation type group until it statifies it's current membership into non-existence......

Additionally, do you really think Paul that some of us haven't printed the dozen or so threads like this and sent it in? Do you really think that I and others haven't posted this to the WBCCI Forum? It has for years fallen on deaf ears.... I sure hope you are not one of the folks that takes all this personally.....because it's that kind of taking it personally why it appears it's been so hard for the org to change or take honest feedback.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 03-21-2005, 01:50 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Not taken personally

It's not taken personally. And I agree that things need to change. I just get tired of always hearing how bad the WBCCI is. There is also a lot of good that a lot of people don't see. If I had read all the postings on the different list about the WBCCI, I'd never would have become a member! I'm just very glad I did not! The WBCCI/WDCU has be a great thing for my family. Again, I just thinks it funny how everytime a thread starts about something that is "totally" a WBCCI member subject, people who are not members of the WBCCI take it as a chance to bash the WBCCI.

Never taken personally, nor the defender of the WBCCI. Just a guy who likes Airstreams and hanging out with those who do, even if your not a member of the WBCCI!!

Paul Waddell
Old 03-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #48
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Good, glad to hear it because this type of thread in particular tends to really have folks on both sides of the fence digging in. Me, though some might not believe it, am actually hoping that this is the time that the changes get implemented because the idea of a WBCCI serving the community is really a fantasitic idea, one that I wouldn't mind being a part of again if it were more like (not exactly identical) the rallys that this forum has somehow managed to bring together.

I agree fully though, that I too really enjoy hanging out casually talking shop with fellow Streamers.....
Old 03-21-2005, 02:15 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Well we tried this and were admonished by two of the local unit officers for our gathering not being an "official" unit rally and secondly doing something outside of the normal unit schedule. We were told that this could lead to "splintering" of the local unit where people would rather go to our rally than the official unit rallys.

That's the kind of thinking that makes some want to throw in the towel.

Jack
So there has to be more to it than that. Did you promote the "gathering" and only promote it to certain people??? Did you utilize a member list that is privilaged to internal members? Did you discuss what you would like to do in the unit on a one to one or personal basis to get a feeling of "attitude" first from the officers. Did you schedule it on the same date or close to another "official" function?
Did you offer any assistance to the Unit or reason to tie your "gathering" to something within the principles of the unit or benefit of the unit?

Or did you "just do it" as I refered - but forgot to include - it is all in the HOW you "just do it".

Back to the discussion at hand...

Our unit is very big - with an average of 70+ trailers at each event - If I were to volunteer to put on a Rally - there is only 2 places at best to meet that number - but I could certainly handle putting on several smaller events with different members each time - culminating in one big event at the end of the year - for our Unit (actually it is 2 events - to meet the "rules") The rest of the activities are luncheons, rendevouz, Shakedowns??? dinners in the east the west the southwest etc. Why a couple of us were just talking about maybe our unit should look into splitting into regions - to best serve the members so that there could be more functions available, shorter in scope and maybe take on some different "themes" to meet the varied types of members and there interests.

Keeping or changing the International is not going to make or break this club - but it is the one function that most are familiar with or have heard about. All the other events are basically satilites of the International within the various Regions and then on down to the local Units - when looking at structure and activities within each event.

You either build from the ground up or provide a goal to your membership that will filter down through the ranks providing each Region/Unit to organize their unique method in meeting those goals - but in the end you will have the same result. The Maintenance of a Non-Profit Organization.

THE HOUSE WILL STAND!

look at us we have only complete one year of membership - renewed and have made no bones that the present club activities are not our cup of tea. But we also see that if we all just quit then double the effort will be made to start new clubs - and eventually those clubs will get very busy and will require rules and order in order to fair to your percived membership - because that is human nature.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Bring something to the Big Party

To stick to sewing and open with comments ďon threadĒ, I applaud the ideas floated by International 1st Vice President, Jim Franklin, in the March 2005 issue of Blue Beret. The WBCCI needs to change the International Rally, recognizes this fact, and has taken this first step of raising and discussing ideas and new concepts. I think all his ideas are good and I hope most, if not all of them, eventually are adopted after a thorough discussion of their strengths and weaknesses. Iím sure additional discussion will lead to other better ideas, some synergy, eventual refinement, and new solutions to current concerns. Jim has officially opened the door to a major overhaul to the old WBCCI ways, something Iíve never seen discussed before in my 6 years of membership. In fact, his proposal is quite amazing. The first step down the path of enlightenment has been taken. Hooray!

My Momma done scold me: ďSon, whatca gonna to bring to the party?Ē She thought everyone should contribute something to a party, for the benefit and enjoyment of all. How quaint in todayís ďwhatís in it for me?Ē world. But Iím quaint a guy, so Iím taking my Mommaís advice and my little show on the Road to International. What show? For the past 2 years at our VAC Rocky Mountain Rallies, Iíve given an hour long Power Point presentation on the history and evolution of Airstream trailers. People seem to enjoy it; they smile, they clap. How nice. So rather than bitch and moan that no one is now doing this at International to entertain little ole me, Iím being that entertainment. Iíll be bringing Power to the Point! Iíll be preaching Passion to the People! Iíll be showing them Vintage Rocks, in excruciating detail. Iíll show them why old Airstreams are the catís meow, show them what to look for in old trailers they might be eyeing to get back on the road, and educate them to the joys of Vintagehood. Iíll be bringing to the Big Party what I like about old Airstreams and sharing that information with others. Iíll be too busy having fun and infecting others that thereíll be no time for me to bitch, moan and mope. If they donít see the righteousness of my Vintage ways, well, then Wally will smite them!

The world is made up of consumers and producers. Few produce, many consume. I like to be productive and make people smile. Sour lemons are made for squeezing. So rather than stay home alone, Iíll be bringing something to the Big Party in Springfield. Iím sure that those who make the effort to attend, and bring with them a positive attitude, will have a good time. My trailer door is always open and I love to chat up old Airstreams, so please stop by and say Hello in Springfield. You will find me chilliní in the 30 Amp. Vintage Parking Area, generating fun.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
. Again, I just thinks it funny how everytime a thread starts about something that is "totally" a WBCCI member subject, people who are not members of the WBCCI take it as a chance to bash the WBCCI.

Paul---It isn't a "totally membership subject" After purchasing our Airstream we recieved a packet INVITING us to be members. Knowing nothing about this invite I ask what is it about and what is this $60. for? As I see it this does include me in this subject. Was not aware it would cost me to voice my opinion especially after reading 50 plus post of complaints about the organization most of which indicate it's going down the tube! You indicate your not interested in listening to those of us who ask why should we join something thats dieing. Perhaps this attitude of exclusiveness is part of the problem.
Pieman
Old 03-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #52

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
So there has to be more to it than that. Did you promote the "gathering" and only promote it to certain people??? Did you utilize a member list that is privilaged to internal members? Did you discuss what you would like to do in the unit on a one to one or personal basis to get a feeling of "attitude" first from the officers. Did you schedule it on the same date or close to another "official" function?
Did you offer any assistance to the Unit or reason to tie your "gathering" to something within the principles of the unit or benefit of the unit?

Or did you "just do it" as I refered - but forgot to include - it is all in the HOW you "just do it".
As a matter of fact we talked to some of the local officers before doing any advertising. So it was all on the up and up. One of the big reasons we were doing the rally outside of the unit was to break out of the structure which all of the unit rallys had fallen into (breakfast at 7, social hour at 4, dinner at 5, games after dinner).

All we had done to that point was set up a theme and choose a date which while was in the same month of a unit rally, but did not conflict. One other thing we planned on doing differently however was opening this rally up to all Airstreamers. Those in the unit, those on the Internet, and others in the STL area who didn't belong. Part of this opening up was due to the fact that our unit only allowed non members to attend one rally a year. From that conversation with the President it was noted that they didn't want to splinter the unit. I pointed out to him that his attitude was part of the problem in that we tended to be exclusinary rather than open the doors to others.

I haven't given up though and last year I suggested at our local board meeting that every rally be a buddy rally and thankfully that was approved. So, we chip away slowly but surely. Next year will be the year for bigger changes as I noted in an earlier post in this thread. We will be doing some things differently and the evolution will begin.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:21 PM   #53
Rivet Master

50 out of 8000, not bad

Math my tells me and I quote "50 plus post of complaints about the organization most of which indicate it's going down the tube!" end quote, of a club that has 8000 members plus their husband/wife/children would be about .6 percent of people complaining. Where I come from, that's not to bad!

No since trying to change the minds of the few.

As for International, I love seeing 1500-2000 Airstreams at one time. I got the best "tan" I'd had in years. I know when I hosted a rally for 28 trailers it was a bunch of work, I can not even think what it would be like to try to host 1500-2000 trailer at once. The Florida State rally seemed small after International, but I had a blast there too. So many rallies and so little time. Maybe after I'm 65 I too can "invest" more time into the club. But for now, I'll have to depend on the "work" of others for my goodtime and do as much as I can do to help.

Paul Waddell
Old 03-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Actually

Wouldn't stats be more accurate using the percentage of positive and negative within the same polled group? And for the sake of understanding these numbers were all posts with suggestions and observations counted summarily as complaining? How does one facilitate change without being different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
Math my tells me and I quote "50 plus post of complaints about the organization most of which indicate it's going down the tube!" end quote, of a club that has 8000 members plus their husband/wife/children would be about .6 percent of people complaining. Where I come from, that's not to bad!

No since trying to change the minds of the few.

As for International, I love seeing 1500-2000 Airstreams at one time. I got the best "tan" I'd had in years. I know when I hosted a rally for 28 trailers it was a bunch of work, I can not even think what it would be like to try to host 1500-2000 trailer at once. The Florida State rally seemed small after International, but I had a blast there too. So many rallies and so little time. Maybe after I'm 65 I too can "invest" more time into the club. But for now, I'll have to depend on the "work" of others for my goodtime and do as much as I can do to help.

Paul Waddell

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #55

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think all these people wouldn't have such strong opinions about the WBCCI if they didn't care. And just because there's only .6% complaining doesn't mean that there still aren't some things that could use fixing.

Clearly the suggestion to eliminate the international and focus on a region rally every year is intended to reduce the number of attendees. Since the article specifically mentions reducing the current 1200 trailer international to something in the 400-800 range. I'm not sure how they intend to do that, except by limiting participation. After all, if the 1200 people who went to the international want to go to the region rally that is designated the international, then it will be just as big. I guess if they get a place big enough for 400 and cut off registration at that number, then that would do it. It seems like handing responsibility to the regions just makes someone else do the work, the demand for a big annual rally is still there.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:46 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I would love to make it to a 1500+ trailer rally. I would hate to see the big "International" rally go away, but if you want to keep "The Club" around you got to do what ya got to do.
I will keep hanging with my unit and be as active as I can.

My .02...

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote