Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
In Wally's Own Words

"In the heart of these words is an entire life's dream.
To those of you who find in the promise of these words, your promise, I bequeath this creed... my dream belongs to you."

The Wally Byam Creed

To place the great wide world at your doorstep for you who yearn to travel with all the comforts of home.

To provide a more satisfying, meaningful way of travel that Offers complete travel independence, wherever and whenever you choose to go or stay.

To keep alive and make real an enduring promise of high adventure and faraway lands ... of rediscovering old places and new interests.

To open a whole world of new experiences ... a new dimension in enjoyment where travel adventure and good fellowship are your constant companions.

To encourage clubs and rallies that provide an endless source of friendships, travel fun and personal expression.

To lead caravans wherever the four winds blow ... over twinkling boulevards, across trackless deserts ... to the traveled and untraveled corners of the earth.

To play some part in promoting international goodwill and understanding among the peoples of the world through person-to-person contact.

To refine and perfect our product by continuous travel-testing over the highways and byways of the world.

To strive endlessly to stir the venturesome spirit that moves you to follow a rainbow to its end ... and thus make your travel dreams come true.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
the fifth line is my favorite...

To encourage clubs and rallies that provide an endless source of friendships, travel fun and personal expression.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
the fifth line is my favorite...

Right... CLUB(S), plural.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1966 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
From Parts Unknown , Unknown
You know, these are really great words. And I love my local Unit. Also the folks there have been more loving to me and my sweetheart than even my own family. And thus we are in mourning about the larger entity. We moved our red numbers off the coach. Now we have a piece of lexan we post our numbers on, which we'll hang in the window when its appropriate-- with our local unit friends.

Wally Byam's words are good ones and that's what we joined up for. We put away our Berets, with hopes that a better time will come in the future, and we can sport them again in good faith and true hearts.

Until Then THINK SPRING!
1956 Spartan Imperial Mansion
TCT Since 2002, 8728,
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Alex
Thats sad. Wally would not have wanted the CLUB to be operated in the manner (at the upper end) that it is. Its also sad for those in whatever unit you belong too.But the members of TAC dont really care what your affiliation is just come camp with us and have fun like Wally wanted. There will be no Politics here. We are all equal. NO PAST PRES or VP's from 20 yrs ago in this bunch. You may be pleasantly surprised and find some of your units friends campin with us. COUNT ON IT,
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I am glad to see the OP quote the Wally Byam Creed.

Did anyone notice that it doesn't say anything about camping. I was around shortly after Wally started the WBCC (International wasn't part of the original name). My Mom & Dad took me to several Rallies and Caravans where Wally was personally there. It was a thrill for me to meet him, and I still cherish a picture my Dad took of Wally with me in the foreground.

My Dad joined the WBCC for travel and adventure, not camping. When friends would refer to our Airstream as a camper, my Mother would tell them we are "boulevard" campers. Although they, in fact, did travel to some pretty rugged places (like Alaska & Central American) they never considered it camping. Perhaps that is why I have such a negative concept of the term camping.

If some want to camp...... great! There are hundreds of camping clubs. Join one, or start your own. But I didn't buy an Airstream to camp. I used to camp in a tent and a pop-up camper. Now I want what Wally was promoting. See the world. Meet new and interesting people. Make adventures. I want to Airstream.

Mike
WBCCI #1200 (since 1957)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0003.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	97094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wally Byam.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	607.2 KB
ID:	97101  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gold Airstream.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	658.3 KB
ID:	97102  
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
That's Pretty Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
WBCCI #1200 (since 1957)
That's a neat story. When did your mother and father turn over the number to you? I bet you could write a book with all the interesting stories.

My mother and father stopped traveling the mid to late 1990's and we took over their number. I think my mother and father started Airstreaming in the late 50's but they did not join the club until the early to mid 70's. Hershey was their first International.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
I think Wally would love the TAC. The people who created it have embodied the very essence of his creed. It's for people who love the Airstream culture as he created it and celebrate his contribution to mankind.

Best regards,

MisterMike
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Wally WOW Photos

Quote:
I was around shortly after Wally started the WBCC (International wasn't part of the original name). My Mom & Dad took me to several Rallies and Caravans where Wally was personally there. It was a thrill for me to meet him, and I still cherish a picture my Dad took of Wally with me in the foreground.
Wow! Those are marvelous photos of you and Wally Byam and his gold Airstream! Very cool to see. Do you have any details of the events and dates for these photos?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #10
Certifiable

. , .
I'm guessing that at least the 2 pics with Wally's truck were from the Palm Springs Rally promoting the 1959 African Caravan.
(Note also that "Bibleland" is still printed on the side of his truck.)
Old 02-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
I don't remember where either picture was taken. I was 8 or 9 years old at the time. The picture with my parents and me behind #1200 was taken in the Fall of 1957, or the Spring of 1958 (notice the 1958 Chevy as the newest car). The pictures of Wally and the gold Airstream were taken in late 1958 or early 1959 (notice 1959 Chevys).

Good eyes about the "Bibleland" printing on the truck. That was changed sometime during the African Caravan to be politically correct.

To get back to the original post and the Byam Creed, I remember Wally as enjoying a more sophisticated life than the average travel trailer owner of the 1950's. He promoted Airstreams to those who were willing to pay more to get more. The caravans and rallies were centered around travel and adventure, rather than sitting around a campfire. The Airstreamers of Wally's era dressed up at Airstream events. They always traveled with their "Sunday best" so they could be properly attired when the occasion called for it.

Another custom that Wally initiated was to always pay using $2.00 bills. Every Rally and Caravan had a banker to exchange money. This was instituted to make the local merchants aware of how much money the Airstreamers brought into their community. In the early days, travel trailer people were often considered gypsies and tramps. Wally changed that.

One of the posters said he thought Wally would approve of the TAC. I don't presume to know Wally Byam well enough to know how he would think about this subject, but I suspect he would approve of any club that promoted good will, and provided fun and fellowship. I do believe that he would be opposed to any Airstreamer speaking badly about another. Before we set off for the day on a Caravan there was always a meeting to decide what was going to happen that day. At the conclusion of the meeting there was to be no bickering or dissension. Wally was a good leader, but would not tolerate complaining.

I think that those qualities were what my Dad so admired about him.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Wally Provided Opportunities - Our Opportunities Continue

Quote:
One of the posters said he thought Wally would approve of the TAC. I don't presume to know Wally Byam well enough to know how he would think about this subject, but I suspect he would approve of any club that promoted good will, and provided fun and fellowship. I do believe that he would be opposed to any Airstreamer speaking badly about another. Before we set off for the day on a Caravan there was always a meeting to decide what was going to happen that day. At the conclusion of the meeting there was to be no bickering or dissension. Wally was a good leader, but would not tolerate complaining.

I think that those qualities were what my Dad so admired about him.
Sounds like you admire Wally also. I think we all admire the man, the Airstream products, and the opportunities that he made possible for all of us!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
It's heartwarming to read this positive thread concerning Wally Byam's dream for Airstreamers. We agree that line #5 of the Wally Byam creed is so outstanding. In fact, it is dear friends of ours that started this thread. And, without WBCCI we would have never met. Isn't that right, IA-4?
tintent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Travel and Camping Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintent View Post
It's heartwarming to read this positive thread concerning Wally Byam's dream for Airstreamers. We agree that line #5 of the Wally Byam creed is so outstanding. In fact, it is dear friends of ours that started this thread. And, without WBCCI we would have never met. Isn't that right, IA-4?
I am - we are proud and honored to be your friends!!!!!!
Yes we met due to our local units of the WBCCI. We've camped together, and explored a small portion of the world on a caravan together. We look forward to seeing you again at this year's WBCCI rallies, Airforums Tri-State rally, and maybe even a TAC event.

Friends, Fun and Fellowship!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
I love reading this thread! What wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing!
LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1966 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
From Parts Unknown , Unknown
Lets keep our spirit showing
1956 Spartan Imperial Mansion
TCT Since 2002, 8728,
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
More - In Wally's Own Words

"Don’t stop. Keep right on going. Hitch up your trailer and go to Canada or down to Old Mexico. Head for Europe, if you can afford it, or go to the Mardi Gras. Go someplace you’ve heard about, where you can fish or hunt or collect rocks or just look up at the sky. Find out what’s at the end of some country road. Go see what’s over the next hill, and the one after that, and the one after that."
Old 03-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
I hope that some have noticed that Wally's quotes mainly focus on travel and adventure, not camping.

My recollections of Wally are of a man of small stature, but great charisma. He was a natural born leader, who took his dream and made it happen. When others were building campers for those that couldn't afford to travel any other way, he made travel trailers for those that could afford more to do more. I must admit that I was only 10 years old the last time I saw Wally, so my memory is that a a young boy.

The luxury RV business that has developed today started with Wally Byam. Prior to the Airstream, people that had travel trailers were primarily vagabonds and gypsies. Literally trailer trash. Wally changed that.

So, the next time you park next to a million dollar Prevost, hold your head high. Wally's Airstream was the birth of the of RVing.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Prior to the Airstream, people that had travel trailers were primarily vagabonds and gypsies. Literally trailer trash. Wally changed that.
I think you need to take a closer look at history. Prior to Wally's first aluminum trailer, Hawley Bowlus and other pioneers of the industry were selling travel trailers to movie stars and the wealthy. Wally capitalized on this and expanded the industry, but he did not invent it.

Wally also did not differentiate between "camping" and "traveling." To him, they were one and the same. In Wally's own words, from his 1953 book, "Fifth Avenue on Wheels" :

Quote:
Chapter One: TRAILERS AND SUCH
Trailers were originally designed to be trailed behind automobiles to make vacationing by automobile more comfortable and less work than traveling with a tent and camp outfit packed and stored all over the car. ...

At first, if you could sleep comfortably in a trailer, that was a lot. Then, if you could find a place to cook inside out of the rain and wind, that was a big improvement. Other refinements followed, but remember this – they were still camps on wheels, a means of traveling and vacationing with greater convenience and comfort. That was the basic reason for the invention of the trailer. And in my opinion, it still is.
By the way, Wally was also very opposed to big heavy trailers like the 30-34 foot Classics that dominated Airstream's product line in the 1980s and 1990s. Does that mean we should look down on them, as you seem to look down on the activity of "camping"?

Quote:
The first trailers were very much smaller than the cars that towed them, and the cars in those days were much smaller than the cars of today. Then the trailers began growing larger, and larger, and larger, until today many trailers dwarf the ant-like car that waltzes them around. And with this size has come increased weight. And with this increased weight and size, the less useful they are for traveling.
My point is simply that there's room for everyone and everything in the Airstream world. Camping is a big part of today's Airstream community, and there's nothing wrong with that.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You can't "travel" forever. Sooner or later you will need to stop and lay your head on the bed Mr Byam designed to be a part of the trailer.
I do not understand the continuous putting down of camping. What was it called when the wagons were drawn into a circle for the night? Was that some how still "travel"?
I am not trying to start an argument or be challenging your memories, but why do you seem to have an issue with the term camping?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tac, travel, wbcci