Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
I love reading this thread! What wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1966 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
From Parts Unknown , Unknown
Lets keep our spirit showing

1956 Spartan Imperial Mansion
TCT Since 2002, 8728,
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
More - In Wally's Own Words

"Don’t stop. Keep right on going. Hitch up your trailer and go to Canada or down to Old Mexico. Head for Europe, if you can afford it, or go to the Mardi Gras. Go someplace you’ve heard about, where you can fish or hunt or collect rocks or just look up at the sky. Find out what’s at the end of some country road. Go see what’s over the next hill, and the one after that, and the one after that."

http://byams55flyingcloud.blogspot.com/
Byams55FlyCl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I hope that some have noticed that Wally's quotes mainly focus on travel and adventure, not camping.

My recollections of Wally are of a man of small stature, but great charisma. He was a natural born leader, who took his dream and made it happen. When others were building campers for those that couldn't afford to travel any other way, he made travel trailers for those that could afford more to do more. I must admit that I was only 10 years old the last time I saw Wally, so my memory is that a a young boy.

The luxury RV business that has developed today started with Wally Byam. Prior to the Airstream, people that had travel trailers were primarily vagabonds and gypsies. Literally trailer trash. Wally changed that.

So, the next time you park next to a million dollar Prevost, hold your head high. Wally's Airstream was the birth of the of RVing.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
Prior to the Airstream, people that had travel trailers were primarily vagabonds and gypsies. Literally trailer trash. Wally changed that.
I think you need to take a closer look at history. Prior to Wally's first aluminum trailer, Hawley Bowlus and other pioneers of the industry were selling travel trailers to movie stars and the wealthy. Wally capitalized on this and expanded the industry, but he did not invent it.

Wally also did not differentiate between "camping" and "traveling." To him, they were one and the same. In Wally's own words, from his 1953 book, "Fifth Avenue on Wheels" :

Quote:
Chapter One: TRAILERS AND SUCH
Trailers were originally designed to be trailed behind automobiles to make vacationing by automobile more comfortable and less work than traveling with a tent and camp outfit packed and stored all over the car. ...

At first, if you could sleep comfortably in a trailer, that was a lot. Then, if you could find a place to cook inside out of the rain and wind, that was a big improvement. Other refinements followed, but remember this – they were still camps on wheels, a means of traveling and vacationing with greater convenience and comfort. That was the basic reason for the invention of the trailer. And in my opinion, it still is.
By the way, Wally was also very opposed to big heavy trailers like the 30-34 foot Classics that dominated Airstream's product line in the 1980s and 1990s. Does that mean we should look down on them, as you seem to look down on the activity of "camping"?

Quote:
The first trailers were very much smaller than the cars that towed them, and the cars in those days were much smaller than the cars of today. Then the trailers began growing larger, and larger, and larger, until today many trailers dwarf the ant-like car that waltzes them around. And with this size has come increased weight. And with this increased weight and size, the less useful they are for traveling.
My point is simply that there's room for everyone and everything in the Airstream world. Camping is a big part of today's Airstream community, and there's nothing wrong with that.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You can't "travel" forever. Sooner or later you will need to stop and lay your head on the bed Mr Byam designed to be a part of the trailer.
I do not understand the continuous putting down of camping. What was it called when the wagons were drawn into a circle for the night? Was that some how still "travel"?
I am not trying to start an argument or be challenging your memories, but why do you seem to have an issue with the term camping?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr View Post
Chapter One: TRAILERS AND SUCH
Trailers were originally designed to be trailed behind automobiles to make vacationing by automobile more comfortable and less work than traveling with a tent and camp outfit packed and stored all over the car. ...
Vacationing - not Caravans, not Camping, not Rallies - Comfortable and less work!

Less work!! I vote for less work!!

http://byams55flyingcloud.blogspot.com/
Byams55FlyCl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tac, travel, wbcci