Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #221
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
It often seems the adage ," every group has a funny bone, wish bone and a backbone" works for me in every group I belong to. Always fun to everyone regardless of their piece of the pie. Anything more and I'm gone.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:18 AM   #222
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Eubanks, you are absolutely correct. You have defined the two types of club members, no matter what the club. Some join only for the friendship, the social part, others for the thrill of doing dif things with like minded people. Both good, neither exclusive. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Well, I don't know, I only like silver trailers!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #224
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
In the recent Blue Beret, the VP of AS article stated,"60% of all new AS sold in 2014 are first time buyers between the ages of 50-69. Plenty of prospects to invite into the WBCCI. Considering there are 50 units built every week, that is 2,500 new units, of which 1,500 first timers. And I was one of those first timers and mentored into the WBCCI, by a long time member, I still have never met. Hope meet him down the road.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #225
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Thought I'd share observations after returning home from AlumaFiesta event in Tucson.. More than 100 Airstreams of all types demonstrating true diversity.. Loyal WBCCI members, unhappy ex-members and others who were unfamiliar.. Some were long-term owners, and one couple bought their trailer across the road and drove into the event with total towing experience of 1/2 mile..

Point is that combination of social hours, tours and interesting seminars, entertainment (from Taiko drumming to sword swallowers to Flamenco guitar...) made for very happy week, and meeting a number of new friends.. The common theme was "enjoying the opportunities an Airstream enables" with fellow travelers and no politics or parliamentarians... Only 1 common meal in the big tent on closing night, but lots of smaller group socializing and roving happy hours... As others have noted above, doing the same thing over and over with the same people might seem fun to some, but it won't hold the interest of those seeking new experiences. Our Airstreams enable the ability to see new things and go new places, and the common bond is the openness to engage our fellow travelers and make new friends from the comfort of our aluminum rolling shelters..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #226
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
. ...

They need someone to run a dog park at the rally, make it a dog park people will rave about...

Great idea!!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #227
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byams55FlyCl View Post

Great idea!!
Agreed! That is a great idea!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Woof!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #229
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Lynn, I know you "closed" this thread but people are still adding "suggestions." I've followed it off and on because our unit seems a microcosm of the larger WBCCI - both in what they do, the challenges that fact it, and how they are handled. We joined the larger unit so we could belong to the Vintage club and, to be able to get our numbers that matched to ghost numbers on our trailer. And, while I recall one summer in Bozeman back in the 70's when there must have been an international rally, because there were hundreds (maybe thousands) of Airstreams parked near the university, I've not been moved to go to one and can't see a reason yet to drive to Gillette to park, well, anywhere in Gillette (no disrespect intended!). But, I've renewed with WBCCI and I'll continue.

Having said all that, I'm moved to post not to add another suggestion - you've had a tremendous number of good ones already, nor to vent a frustration, but to share the observations of another. We also belong to Tin Can Tourists - mainly to go to the Fiddlers Picnic Rally in Livingston each year, where the attraction is just sitting around and playing music... and a walk to the Yellowstone River only 100 yards away with a fly pole... and maybe a beer. The TCT's recent (Spring) e-newsletter included a long discussion by a member on "why car clubs fail" but related it to why the Tin Can Tourists, who targeted the same demographic, was booming. TCT's Facebook group, for example, has almost 11,000 members, WBCCI's only 700-some. Now, there are many sub-WBCCI, unit groups with almost as many Facebook members, that reflect, I'd think, the unit's popularity (Teresa's Oregon group shows almost 500). But back to the article - which in spite of its title, is not about car clubs, but is about this thread's topic.

What I found fascinating is that "why car clubs fail" could be written about WBCCI - the same issues, challenges, and so on. "Young people aren't interested in these old cars..." or "the internet is to blame..." or "they don't need to join the club to get information like we had to..." etc. Their membership is aging, national meets have declining attendance, and people aren't joining/renewing. The TCT article, though, took the "car club" examples and related it to the TCT club and asks, "What's the difference." But first, the article relates the demographics - the Greatest Generation, and their attributes, Boomers (and theirs), Gen X and Gen Y, and how in the TCT all their needs are met. I don't intend to paraphrase the whole article, but I'll quote just one small example from the author:
"...I’m going to use my own experiences here. I am a Generation X member. I fit the standard Gen X profile very well. Frankly, the tried and true car club organizational structure makes someone like me crazy. An idea needs to go to the appropriate “committee”. That committee then gives the idea to the Board of Directors. The BoD then discusses it, may make changes, and back and forth. At this point, I’m over it, and have moved on to something that I can accomplish without all the hassle."
Sound familiar? The author goes on about how their organization has addressed the challenges and what it does different, hitting point-by-point about membership, volunteering, social media, rallies, etc. And I've gone on and on as well about this too long already! I just wanted to point it out as a source of information that comes from others similar to us. If anyone is interested, and can't access the newsletter on line but want to read more, pm me and I'll try to send it to you.

Dave
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #230
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post

The TCT's recent (Spring) e-newsletter included a long discussion by a member on "why car clubs fail" but related it to why the Tin Can Tourists, who targeted the same demographic, was booming. TCT's Facebook group, for example, has almost 11,000 members, WBCCI's only 700-some.
Quote:
If anyone is interested, and can't access the newsletter on line but want to read more, pm me and I'll try to send it to you.
The same article was linked in the March Region 3 newsletter, at the URL below:

http://origin.library.constantcontac...by+Tin+Can.pdf

I was interested in the following quote,

“Conversely, Tin Can Tourists, which is targeting the exact same demographic, is booming with membership skyrocketing. Events are being held all over the globe, with sell-out attendance and thousands of spectators attending to tour the trailers. The Facebook group has over 8,000 members, with more joining every day”

Can TCT members out there tell us more? How many members does TCT have? Is membership “skyrocketing”? Is TCT in fact holding events “all over the globe?” This is all news to me.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #231
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I am a member of the Tin Can Tourists. Very devoted people to their trailers. Many tow with vintage vehicles which adds to the attraction. The gatherings I have heard of are usually small, one near me had about 15 trailers. I do know there are get togethers all over and some draw many more members. All makes and models of trailers and mh are welcome if vintage. Jim
Old 03-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #232
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I am a member of the Tin Can Tourists. Very devoted people to their trailers. Many tow with vintage vehicles which adds to the attraction. The gatherings I have heard of are usually small, one near me had about 15 trailers.
That's consistent with my impression of TCT, rather like the Vintage Airstream Club except for trailers of all brands. Sounds like a neat club, but probably not a real big club, which is why I puzzle over statements like ". . . events are being held all over the globe, with sell-out attendance and thousands of spectators attending. . ."

Maybe OilnH2o can tell us how many members attended the Fiddlers Picnic Rally?
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #233
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
One thing I think is being overlooked Concerning the overall club situation.

The clubs that appear to be doing well, TCT, Escapees, Possivly even Good Sam have one thing in common.
They do NOT change management people every year so once they pick a direction or goal they can keep moving toward it.

TCT is manged by the Bone family
Escapees is also family managed
Good Sam would be a corporate model but I would bet the people running it don't change annually either.
I don't think the whole answer is here but I do think it is a factor
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:45 PM   #234
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Maybe OilnH2o can tell us how many members attended the Fiddlers Picnic Rally?
Last year there were about 40 SOBs of various years (although mostly recent) with a few vintage, a nice Streamliner as I recall, 5-6 Airstreams, and roughly 12-15 of the Sisters on the Fly group, all of whom have small, old vintage Shastas and such. And a Curtis-Wright Clipper. But the big draw was the music, people both playing and listening. This was also a VAC event. I joined the TCT just to support the effort - it appears most of their events include vintage tow vehicles, too but they welcome all old travel trailers and RVs.

My point in posting the info was not the TCT group, but the article - reading it sounded just like WBCCI's issues.
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 AM   #235
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some of the TCT get togethers appear to be in conjunction with other events. A good idea. Jim