Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #211

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We joined the 4CU group this year as well! It's a great example of a progressive club.

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #212
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
The Southeastern Camping Unit has done the following in our last 3 rallies:

- Gathered at an Air Forums event (Falluminum) that included an open house, pot luck meals, and awesome live entertainment (by the attendees).
- Held a rally with the Georgia Conservancy and Kayaked for 2 days on the Okefenokee Swamp.
- Rallied at an historic state park for 5 nights at new years in below freezing weather with campfires, hikes, tours of historic homes, a brewery tour, tremendous food and great fun.

We are open to new ideas and love to camp!

mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #213
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
We joined the 4CU group this year as well! It's a great example of a progressive club.
Hope to meet you this summer!
DianePhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #214
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post

(3) Diversity: This speaks to Jon's last post about club demographics. We need to be as diverse and inclusive as possible, making the club welcoming and relevant to all types of people of all ages, income levels, working status, etc. And because membership is built at the unit level, this is on the units to accomplish, developing unit cultures that make everyone feel welcome and valued ... holding events/rallies satisfying and fun for everyone in terms of activities, food, venue, length of time, etc etc. If we can do this, we will grow and retain membership.
Diversity and exclusivity, which includes sexual orientation and race, are important membership factors. As a Gay American male of Chinese descent, I congratulate the 4CU's success in embracing diversity and inclusiveness, which is evident in photos of past rallies, and there by retaining members, and attracting new members. When I see photos of other chapter rallies, there is a poverty of people of color. Is this being considered?

Is WBCCI membership demographic data collected from membership applications. If so, what are the findings.

Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #215
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Diversity and inclusivity, I think. Well, anyway, we're on the same page. Whatever the case, we as a club seem to be doing pretty well in that regard, I think.

What I can relate to you is from our experience as park owners: There just aren't just a lot of racial minorities involved in RVing. Here in NM, we have seen increasing numbers of Hispanic owners of RVs, and that's a positive sign. We have not seen significant numbers of other racial minority owners, however.

Of course, one might argue that part of what we have observed could be related to the make-up of New Mexico's population. On the other hand, the majority of guests here at the park don't come from NM anyway, so the argument isn't that easy to maintain.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Diversity and exclusivity, which includes sexual orientation and race, are important membership factors. As a Gay American male of Chinese descent, I congratulate the 4CU's success in embracing diversity and inclusiveness, which is evident in photos of past rallies, and there by retaining members, and attracting new members. When I see photos of other chapter rallies, there is a poverty of people of color. Is this being considered?

Is WBCCI membership demographic data collected from membership applications. If so, what are the findings.

Larry
Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #216
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Lynn-

Thanks again for taking this one, and being so civil and thorough. For those concerned about diversity/inclusiveness I can also commend some of the newer units, like 4CU or the east coast counterpart Washington DC Unit (WDCU), which are far more progressive than many of the older and more "established" units.. Units like 4CU are growing rapidly because they are open and welcoming, diverse and inclusive, digital and economical, and put together fun events at interesting places with interesting activities. Yes, hiking, biking and even kayaking does occur.

It is worth noting that 4CU was formed over objections from Region and International "Leadership" at the time, for fear the new unit would "siphon off" members from other units. While that defensive posture is understandable, the transferring members would probably have otherwise left the organization entirely.. After more than 10 years with our Airstream, we've finally arrived at a multi-faceted approach to getting the most from our Trailer. We enjoy Forum rallies <really good at special interest, like Kayaking, or FOD or Silver Sisters Women's Rally>, 4CU events like Balloon Fiesta, Rich Luhr "Aluma-events" and more casual camping with smaller groups of friends we've met along the way.. All have good and bad, but the one common theme is that going back to an International Rally or hanging with the older crustier units is not for us.. Perhaps it just isn't possible to find one group in one organization that will make everyone happy on every outing...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #217
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
For me, at least, the notions of inclusiveness and diversity apply at multiple levels, not just as a matter of welcoming minorities: We do what as many folks as possible want to do, and we accept as widely as we can. And that diversity and inclusiveness must go from the local level to the top, from rally to international.

Ultimately, though, it just boils down to friendship and fun and adventure. All three must be independent goals (it's not just about friendship; it's not just about fun; it's not just about adventure) that we attempt to combine to create a cool, aluminum club.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
... All have good and bad, but the one common theme is that going back to an International Rally or hanging with the older crustier units is not for us.. Perhaps it just isn't possible to find one group in one organization that will make everyone happy on every outing...
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #218
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Everyone brings a life history, and experiences to a group and I have learned a lot over the years from surprising sources "that have been there and done that" that have different insights than those I have experienced. 'Tis great to share life with fellow travelers.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #219
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
We cannot dictate nor affect (in most cases) who purchases an Airstream, but we can warmly welcome anyone interested in 'Fun, Friendship & Camping' into our units. There are several units, both long time and emerging, with more focus on fun and less on structure. With room available, any Airstreamer should be able to attend any rally. Take a test drive!
Follow us on Facebook and our website:
www.GreaterLosAngelesAirstreamUnit.wbcci.net
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #220
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
I agree absolutely!

The only thing I'd add is that we members must make sure that our fun and our friendship and our adventure are defined in a special way.

Specifically, if the fun of the club is defined strictly as the friendship it offers, then we lose, because that would mean just organizing rallies at the same spot year after year and doing the same thing year after year: Just being with your friends is the fun of it. That's bad news!

So fun is not just friendship. The fun of it must be independent of just being with friends. We must continue to come up with fun things to do that go above and beyond just doing those fun things with friends.

And the same obtains in spades for adventure: The adventure must always be above and beyond the fun and the friendship.

Bottom line: We must do things with our rallies that are kind of wild in order to continue to attract new blood for fun and adventuresome activity.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPal View Post
We cannot dictate nor affect (in most cases) who purchases an Airstream, but we can warmly welcome anyone interested in 'Fun, Friendship & Camping' into our units. There are several units, both long time and emerging, with more focus on fun and less on structure. With room available, any Airstreamer should be able to attend any rally. Take a test drive!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:40 AM   #221
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
It often seems the adage ," every group has a funny bone, wish bone and a backbone" works for me in every group I belong to. Always fun to everyone regardless of their piece of the pie. Anything more and I'm gone.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #222
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Eubanks, you are absolutely correct. You have defined the two types of club members, no matter what the club. Some join only for the friendship, the social part, others for the thrill of doing dif things with like minded people. Both good, neither exclusive. Jim
Old 02-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Well, I don't know, I only like silver trailers!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #224
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
In the recent Blue Beret, the VP of AS article stated,"60% of all new AS sold in 2014 are first time buyers between the ages of 50-69. Plenty of prospects to invite into the WBCCI. Considering there are 50 units built every week, that is 2,500 new units, of which 1,500 first timers. And I was one of those first timers and mentored into the WBCCI, by a long time member, I still have never met. Hope meet him down the road.