Old 10-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #71
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
On google, yahoo, and bing - the most important thing to do is to think about the most important keywords people that you want to find you will be searching for.

Right now it looks to me like you've got way too many meta tags - including a bunch of phrases that I would guess there is about zero search traffic for:

My advice would be to think about what people you want to find the site are really searching for, and then limit your keyword to those words and phrases. I would really be focusing on the search terms Airstream, Airstream club and WBCCI and I'd probably remove almost all of the vintage terms and airstream model names.
Following the KISS principle, tags should be simple:
"wbcci, airstream, caravan, club, rally, membership, wally, byam, international, region, unit, camping, rv, trailer, aluminum, vintage."
for example.

One could add more keywords to address specific page content, such as "calendar, event, officers, bylaws, classified."

Should be no need to list both "airstream" and "airstream club." Far more people search for individual keywords first, and only start looking for whole phrases when they need to narrow down the search. So, as long as both "airstream" and "club" are keywords, you'll get hits, even if "airstream club" isn't listed as a keyphrase. No need for a whole slew of keyphrases covering every possible combination of keywords you already have listed individually.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
ddruker's point is well made. If you search on anything as a single keyword beyond Airstream, Airstream club and WBCCI you get results in the billions.

Yes everyone would like to think "we are number one" and thus the whole world will recognize anything we think of as a work relating to us but they don't.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
FYI: WBCCI.COM
Wright Brothers Construction, Inc.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
There is a difference between a web site, Wright Bros, and a search result,wbcci.

That just says the Wright Bros. were quicker to realize the value of the internet before the Club was and got itself stuck in the .org sub basement.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I am sure this is heresy, but airstreamclub.com is probably available for purchase - there certainly isn't anything meaningful hosted there. clubairstream.com is parked - meaning someone has it registered, but it's not being used at all.

1999 27' Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #76

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
There is a difference between a web site, Wright Bros, and a search result,wbcci.

That just says the Wright Bros. were quicker to realize the value of the internet before the Club was and got itself stuck in the .org sub basement.
Not entirely true. As a non-profit organization, the .ORG suffix for our WBCCI is exactly appropriate. That's what the .ORG suffix was originally intended for.

While it's a fact that the .COM suffix is the default most people go to when they can't remember which one to use, that doesn't always make it the right one to use.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Protagonist - the keyword combinations actually do matter - The search engines treat "Airstream club" differently than "airstream" and "club" as two different keywords - they definitely understand word proximity.

Just being on the keyword "club" would not be the best idea because it is so non-specific - think of all the people searching for "club" out there in a whole bunch of other contexts... And you as a google user would never just search for the word "club" if you wanted to find an airstream club - that's why I think the word Airstream should be the most important keyword for them (and it's clear they do too)...

In general, you want to think about selecting keywords and keyword combinations for which you have a chance at appearing in the first page of search results...

Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
The best practice is to sit on all three suffixes, (.com, .net and .org) and redirect them all to the same site, or set up your DNS records so the .net and .org sites do not resolve to anything. The idea is to protect the brand and avoid confusion for visitors.

If you can't get a .com site that makes sense, I totally agree that .org is the next best thing.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #79

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
Protagonist - the keyword combinations actually do matter - The search engines treat "Airstream club" differently than "airstream" and "club" as two different keywords - they definitely understand word proximity.
I take the point. Thanks.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Monroe , Washington
Great discussion on SEO.

Here's something I ran into yesterday. I was looking for the dates of the 2013 International Rally and the location of the 2014. Being one of those working people, I need to plan way ahead for any trip of more than a long weekend. I found the 2013 information, but to get to the dates I had to click to another page and download a PDF. The dates are pretty basic information and I'd expect tofind them on the rally page.

I did not find the 2014 location on the WBCCI site. I found it in a newletter from a regional club. There were no dates.

Why do I want this information? I want to go to an International Rally. If the rally in 2014 or 2015 is closer to my home, I'll wait a year or two. The 2013 rally is 1400 miles away; the 2014 rally is 1000 miles away. That difference represents 4 vacation days.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
If you use yahoo and type in blue beret magazine I think the info you need is there. Jim
Old 10-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
It's funny....sometimes when I attend a rally with our club all I really want to do is relax, read a book, or visit with friends.....it's a nice way to wind down after a crazy week. Our membership is diverse in both age, lifestyle and interests which means that most of our events have bicycle rides and local tours available as well. Just this last weekend we toured local wineries and creamerys in Dundee, OR while others went on a 17 mile bike ride. I love having options....but do not love having every minute of my time planned for me and I believe we've struck the right balance with the Oregon Unit.

Mona, WBCCI #3339
President and proud member of the Oregon Unit #090
Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #83
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Thanks Dan

Dan - thanks for the sagacious information. I will actually implement what I can in cleaning up this portion of the SEO as it is easy to do. I don't think we are in the category of being over SEO, but probably it is bloated as it currently stands. To arrive at that that list of keywords I used several tools and I did include some additional words like Airstream Club for example.
I did try changing the <title> tag but the blessing and curse of a Joomla based site is that the settings do not always work once you find them. I did find the setting to manually change the Title tag but forwhatever reason, it is not working. It may be a template issue or something with the menu system itself. I will fix that as soon as I can.

I wasn't around when the club first got the web site but I am pretty sure that we will not be looking at getting the .com if it came available. The .org is actually the best name that we can have because it does truly describe what we are whereas the .com is more for commercial entities - that is just my opinion. I do not think the club suffers in any way from having a .org domain over a .com.

Say - you aren't a member of WBCCI, are you? Are you in the web business in some way? you are very well versed in this stuff.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
That's very nice of you to say.

In my not-Airstream life I'm chief marketing officer for a tech company - so while the folks on my team know the latest gory details of this stuff and are up to their elbows in it every day, I at least sit in some of the meetings and pick up a thing or two.

I'm not a WBCCI member yet - trying to figure out if it makes any sense. I'm in my 40's with 10 year old twins and all the WBCCI members we've met so far on the road have been retired couples. They have all been super nice and have even sought us out when they've seen our Airstream at campsites - but it's not obvious we are in the right demographic.