Old 10-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
If you own an Airstream and have never been on a rally please look for a rally on this site or try and find out the name of the unit in your area and ask them if you could join them on their next rally. I guarrantee you they will fall all over themselves to have you join them and it probably will not cost you a dime. Please do this and enjoy your airstream in the future!!
Rich Gallagher

Old 10-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Madison , Alabama
Video

Here are a couple of suggestions for consideration:

I'm not sure how difficult this would be, and I'm sure it would take lots of bandwidth, but many of the most successful websites now have lots of video content. At least a short introduction video would allow folks to gain an understanding of what the club is about and could be used to build excitement and interest.

I have not been able to locate the rally schedule on the new site. One of the things I actually liked about the old site was the rally schedule. It seems to be missing, or maybe I just can't find it.

Stan P.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
When we first set up the site we did have a video introduction on the front page. We got complaints that the page was too slow to load. Various people have various speed access to the internet. Some are just G style WIFI or worse yet dial up. We decided to change the front page to the auto scrolling pictures that give some motion but are a lot faster to load on slower speed access.

The activities for the individual units and activities can be found in the online version of the monthly Blue Beret which has a link on the .org website.

You can also find the detail and contact people for the unit activities on their individual Unit websites. (80% of the units have them.) the links to the unit wbcci.net websites can be found by going under the join tab to the Region map and then selecting the Region of interest and then the individual unit website under that tab. You can also get to the same place by clicking on the information tab which also takes you to the national map with the Regions designated.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Dwight,

Thanks to you, Tim and the rest of the ECC for making the region map available, but I think that it should also be on the Home-region & unit tab.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
When we first set up the site we did have a video introduction on the front page. We got complaints that the page was too slow to load. Various people have various speed access to the internet. Some are just G style WIFI or worse yet dial up. We decided to change the front page to the auto scrolling pictures that give some motion but are a lot faster to load on slower speed access.

The activities for the individual units and activities can be found in the online version of the monthly Blue Beret which has a link on the .org website.

You can also find the detail and contact people for the unit activities on their individual Unit websites. (80% of the units have them.) the links to the unit wbcci.net websites can be found by going under the join tab to the Region map and then selecting the Region of interest and then the individual unit website under that tab. You can also get to the same place by clicking on the information tab which also takes you to the national map with the Regions designated.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #61
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
So, provide the video, but for download, not streaming.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #62
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Dwight,

Thanks to you, Tim and the rest of the ECC for making the region map available, but I think that it should also be on the Home-region & unit tab.

Bill
Bill, can you describe what you mean? Initially, we had that map on the home page with some basic info on joining the club. But at some point it was requested that we move that to a back page in favour of what we have there now. It is available on the regions main page.

Stan, the activities we have published come directly from the submissions to HQ for publication in the Blue Beret. On the home page, there is bold heading that says "What's Happening in My Area". There is a link below that to the Regions Main page. From there, you can click on the region you are interested in and below the basic region listing is a button that says "Activities Calendar". Click that and you see what is happening in the entire region. Again, this is only what is provided for the Blue Beret.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Tim,

I see that the map is there if you click on regions & units on the drop down menu. I was looking for an item on the drop down menu for the map. I did not realize the the first drop down menu was clickable (if that is a word).

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Bill, can you describe what you mean? Initially, we had that map on the home page with some basic info on joining the club. But at some point it was requested that we move that to a back page in favour of what we have there now. It is available on the regions main page.

Stan, the activities we have published come directly from the submissions to HQ for publication in the Blue Beret. On the home page, there is bold heading that says "What's Happening in My Area". There is a link below that to the Regions Main page. From there, you can click on the region you are interested in and below the basic region listing is a button that says "Activities Calendar". Click that and you see what is happening in the entire region. Again, this is only what is provided for the Blue Beret.
Just my personal opinion

Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #64
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Bill, I added a little extra copy on that page to say that you can click on the map or the numbers. It also says that you can check activities also. I hope that makes it a little clearer.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Tim,

I see that the map is there if you click on regions & units on the drop down menu. I was looking for an item on the drop down menu for the map. I did not realize the the first drop down menu was clickable (if that is a word).

Bill
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Tim,

Thanks,

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Bill, I added a little extra copy on that page to say that you can click on the map or the numbers. It also says that you can check activities also. I hope that makes it a little clearer.

Tim
Just my personal opinion

Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I would like to thank the ECC for its work in making it possible for new members to join WBCCI and a unit online. Our unit has gained two new members this way.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #67
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
I did get a preliminary report a few months ago that new members to the club are up over how we were doing in the past and that the site was a big part of that. It's not the whole part, but part. I was quite happy to hear that - it makes the work we have been putting into this all worthwhile!

I do have one other update about searching for WBCCI or "airstream club" and the results not coming up. I have fixed that, you should now see WBCCI listed on the first page if not the first listing as I now see it. That was a good catch and I am glad someone pointed it out, otherwise I might not have known about it. So thanks go out to you - AirForums members.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #68
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, it probably wouldn't hurt to get Google and Bing/Yahoo to register the site as well. Here are the login pages:

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceL...masters/tools/

Bing - Webmaster Tools

To get it all done, each will provide you with a line of code to place into the head of the main page. You put it in, and they then track away.

Lynn
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Madison , Alabama
Buttercup,

What I really liked about the old rally list was that you could see all of the major rallies in one place. This made it easy to select interesting ones. Having a list which covers the whole year is really helpful for those of us who work and have to plan our vacation carefully.

By the way, I really do like the new site.

Stan P
WBCCI 1221, S/OS #024, KK4PF

2005 30' Classic S/O
2004 Avalanche 2500
stanp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
To the continued discussion on search engines above.

On google, yahoo, and bing - the most important thing to do is to think about the most important keywords people that you want to find you will be searching for.

Then you want to at a minimum not only make sure your site is getting spidered by all of the major search engines as above, but you also want to make sure you've got the right meta tags in place on your pages and you've optimized your content (the actual words on your pages) to match your keywords too.

Right now it looks to me like you've got way too many meta tags - including a bunch of phrases that I would guess there is about zero search traffic for:

<meta name="keywords" content="airstream, airstream bambi, airstream camper, airstream campers, airstream classified, airstream classifieds, airstream club, airstream motor home, airstream motorhome, airstream motorhomes, airstream trailer, airstream trailers, airstreams, ambasador, bambi, caravel, CCD, classic, classic airstream, Limited, overlander, recreation vehicles, safari, trailers, travel trailer, travel trailers, used airstream, used airstream camper, vintage, vintage airstream, vintage airstream bambi, vintage airstream camper, vintage airstream campers, vintage airstream classified, vintage airstream classifieds, vintage airstream club, vintage airstream motor home, vintage airstream motorhome, vintage airstream motorhomes, vintage airstream trailer, vintage airstream trailers, vintage airstreams, vintage ambasador, vintage bambi, vintage caravel, vintage CCD, vintage classic, vintage classic airstream, vintage Limited, vintage overlander, vintage recreation vehicles, vintage safari, vintage trailers, vintage travel trailer, vintage travel trailers, vintage used airstream, vintage used airstream camper, vintage used airstreams, club, wbcci, wally byam, caravan club" />

My advice would be to think about what people you want to find the site are really searching for, and then limit your keyword to those words and phrases. I would really be focusing on the search terms Airstream, Airstream club and WBCCI and I'd probably remove almost all of the vintage terms and airstream model names.

Similarly, your description tag is way too long and it should be a short sentence reflecting your keywords focused on what your site is about. The text below is a description of WBCCI - which is fine as a paragraph of content somewhere on your site, but it's not a description of your site that will help the search engines direct traffic to you. I also thought it was interesting that the Airstream site characterizes you as the Official Airstream Owners Club, which seems like a pretty strong declaration and endorsement to me, but you stay away from this language in your own description.

<meta name="description" content="WBCCI offers you fun and exciting opportunities to enjoy your Airstream and the RV Lifestyle. Whether you are traveling with your children or have retired to travel the world, you can do it best in the oldest and finest RV association, the Wally Byam Caravan Club International (WBCCI)." />

The first 80 or so characters of this are also what are returned to searchers in search results - so you want to make sure they are impactful. Because the description is so long, you're getting cut off before you make the point... Below you can see how the home page title and the long description interact to make up the Google results for searching on "WBCCI". Imagine if the home page title was more meaningful, and the description was designed to get people to click in the space allotted.

HOME | WBCCI.org

wbcci.org/

"WBCCI offers you fun and exciting opportunities to enjoy your Airstream and the RV Lifestyle. Whether you are traveling with your children or have retired to ..."

The title of your home page is also something that the search engines consider highly in search engine rankings - and right now it is set as "HOME | WBCCI.org" which probably makes you relatively invisible as far as the search engines on the keyword Airstream are concerned, and I can see in your list of keywords it looks like you want to be on Airstream first.

<title>HOME | WBCCI.org</title>

I would advocate a page title, and language in your description along the lines of "The worlds largest Airstream Club - WBCCI" to cover your bases.

Another related project is you want to get other highly rated Airstream sites to prominently link to you - so I would google airstream and contact the top 10 results and make sure they've all got links to your site that reflect your keywords. The search engines all use this to figure out how important and authoritative you are.

For instance on Airstream.com, the current link says "Airstream's Wally Byam Caravan Club International(WBCCI) official owners club." - wouldn't it be clearer to say "The official Airstream Owners Club - Wally Byam Caravan Club International (WBCCI)"

It's probably worth it to hire an SEO firm as part of your overall marketing / member recruitment budget - they can help make a huge difference in the visibility of your website to the search engines if one of your major goals is to use the website to recruit new members.

A rule of thumb in marketing these days is that it's a waste to spend all the money time to make a nice website and develop great content if the search engines can't help attract the people you want to find you, which is why it makes sense to spend a little on an SEO project...

The site looks awesome, and I love you are using a content management system (Joomla) to drive it - it makes it much easier to experiment and make changes to help drive more traffic and this was a great decision.

Hope this thinking on SEO helps

1999 27' Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote