Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #41

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Just another thought, I don't have a family of my own and am not retired yet I do not know what goes on at a Rally. What do people do besides a pot luck and park near each other - not being negative at all just curious if there are local activities pertaining to the rallies, etc. Perhaps some old iteneraries for people to look at would also help garner interest.
In my limited experience (2 years) the activities at rallys vary widely, depending on the type of rally, the organizers, and the location. There are rallies that have a theme or purpose, like the Vintage Airstream Club rallies during which there are seminars and presentations about various aspects of restoring and maintaining vintage units. There is an annual Christmas rally in Blanco, TX (an AIRForums rally, not WBCCI) with a gift exchange, Christmas flamingo decoration contest, etc. There's a Texas rally next year that's focused on BBQ.

Lots of rallies have an "open house" time scheduled, during which you can show off your own trailer and see what others have done with theirs without feeling like you're intruding by asking for a tour.

The big WBCCI rallies (regional ones) seem to be a bit more traditional, with lots of catered meals for all the attendees and organized events like pet shows, vendor sales/swap meets, etc. (Take that assessment with a grain of salt, I've been to exactly 1 regional rally.)

One of the best I've been to was planned by a wonderful couple who were a little frustrated that they always seemed to be busy when rallies and other big group events were scheduled, so they staged their own. It was a nice campground (Mill Creek Park Corps of Engineers facility in SE Texas) and just a fun, friendly group of people without lots of tightly planned events, but we had a great pot luck and a fun time meeting new people and getting to know them.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #42
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
One of the best I've been to was planned by a wonderful couple who were a little frustrated that they always seemed to be busy when rallies and other big group events were scheduled, so they staged their own. It was a nice campground (Mill Creek Park Corps of Engineers facility in SE Texas) and just a fun, friendly group of people without lots of tightly planned events, but we had a great pot luck and a fun time meeting new people and getting to know them.
Yep. That's the one I'm going to over the Veterans' Day weekend. Mill Creek Park is on the shores of Sam Rayburn Lake.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I love this thread-- I would love to see more of a Facebook and other web presence.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The easiest way to find out what happens at an individual unit's rallies is to review their rally reports in their newsletters. Newsletters are usually posted or linked on their unit websites. Unit websites can be located by going to the links found on the WBCCI.org websites under the join and Region tab. The units are very diverse and activities match their individual demographics.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Unfortunately I am in a unit that does not have a web site and rarely sends out newsletters. I usually don't find out about events after it is too late to change previously made plans. Hopefully they will get on on board with the rest of the units and put together a web site and keep it up to date.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #46

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
I love this thread-- I would love to see more of a Facebook and other web presence.
never use Facebook, personally or professionally. Don't have a Facebook page, don't check other people's Facebook pages. Just a personal preference thing.

However, I agree that WBCCI, at all levels right down to the individual Unit, needs a more robust Internet presence. Preferably including separate public (no login) and private (login required, member only) pages. And an online store for WBCCI merchandise such as the berets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Unfortunately I am in a unit that does not have a web site and rarely sends out newsletters. I usually don't find out about events after it is too late to change previously made plans. Hopefully they will get on on board with the rest of the units and put together a web site and keep it up to date.
You could always volunteer to set up and/or maintain the Unit's web page…
Old 10-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
We live in N Louisiana, and I've looked through WBCCI newsletters and so far the only event I've seen for the chapter for my area is something like Monthly Lunch TBA.

We're interested in WBCCI, but there's not much pulling us in right now. I've also thought about joining a more active chapter that's not as local (Arkansas Razorbacks or greater New Orleans) just because of the more events and opportunities to gather with people.

We found ourselves much like the couple in Texas, frustrated enough to throw our own rally. It was small and local, but we had eight airstreams from five different states show up and we all had a blast!

Another hurdle for us is that most WBCCI events are not that easily attended for younger people, especially ones with families. Last weekend we were the youngest ones there (by around twenty years) and were the only ones that didn't have at least one retired spouse. We were also the only ones with children. The age difference was not ever a problem, we loved everyone there and got along great. It's just a fact that when you're dealing with a community of mostly retired individuals its hard to get a younger crowd involved.

Please don't take offense to what I'm saying, I would love to be more involved, but we can't take two weeks or a month off and caravan down the east coast or take the kids out of school to make a Thursday through Monday rally six or eight hours away. We have to stick to weekend trips most times within a few hour drive and then we like to plan something large in the summer.

I understand the best thing for us to do is to get involved and try to help the organization from the inside and that's a very likely possibility in the near future. I've met some wonderful people so far and we're going to the rally at Mill Creek next month and I'm looking forward to meeting some more! We just have to find where we fit, or make our own hole.

Looking forward to running into you guys down the road.

Matt
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF
One of our frustrations with the unit we belonged to for two years was that, although they had a website with rally dates and post-event postings, they simply would not use the Internet for other purposes.

Their stated belief and intent was that if one wanted to be involved in any planning or even vote on issues, one MUST be present at EVERY rally or off season meeting where issues were discussed and then voted on. They refused to even email business meeting agendas ahead of time, so one would know what was coming up for vote, etc.

For our former unit and many other units, WBCCI has been the central focal point of members lives for DECADES. There is not only a reluctance for change but fear that this change would disrupt the status quo.

And, it would.

Maggie
Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #49

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
We live in N Louisiana, and I've looked through WBCCI newsletters and so far the only event I've seen for the chapter for my area is something like Monthly Lunch TBA.

We're interested in WBCCI, but there's not much pulling us in right now. I've also thought about joining a more active chapter that's not as local (Arkansas Razorbacks or greater New Orleans) just because of the more events and opportunities to gather with people.
I belong to the Greater New Orleans Unit. When I first joined, I didn't know much about WBCCI, and thought it best to join the local unit. I have since become an affiliate of another Unit as well. You're not limited to a single unit. You can only vote on WBCCI issues with a single unit, but you can be affiliated with as many Units as you want, and you'll be on the mailing list for every unit you're affiliated with. This lets you find out first-hand about every affiliated unit's rallies, caravans, and other activities. You only pay WBCCI dues when you join your primary unit; for each affiliate you join, you only have to pay that Unit's dues. In my case, I pay $80 to belong to the GNO unit— $65 WBCCI and $15 Unit— plus another $10 for the other Unit I'm affiliated with.

So, joining a Unit is not all or nothing. Consider joining multiple units, and expand your possibilities.

Membership in WBCCI also gets you a subscription to the Blue Beret magazine. It may have low production values compared to more professionally-published magazines, but there is a wealth of information in the magazine about upcoming events, for all Regions and Units. The information isn't always up-to-date, which is unavoidable since it has to be provided far in advance to be in time for publication, and plans might still only be tentative at that stage. Thus it helps to get the Unit e-mail newsletters as well, to get the up-to-date info.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie

One of our frustrations with the unit we belonged to for two years was that, although they had a website with rally dates and post-event postings, they simply would not use the Internet for other purposes.

Their stated belief and intent was that if one wanted to be involved in any planning or even vote on issues, one MUST be present at EVERY rally or off season meeting where issues were discussed and then voted on. They refused to even email business meeting agendas ahead of time, so one would know what was coming up for vote, etc.

For our former unit and many other units, WBCCI has been the central focal point of members lives for DECADES. There is not only a reluctance for change but fear that this change would disrupt the status quo.

And, it would.

Maggie
This is something we touched on a little bit last weekend, and it is exactly what I'm talking about. Surely not all chapters are run this way, but it does put a major roadblock in recruiting new and/or younger members. The mentality is what's the point on getting financially and emotionally involved in something in which I will most likely have no say in the direction it travels?

I understand Protagonist's point also, there are several opportunities to get involved and we most likely will just because we so much enjoy meeting people and making new friends, I would just like to know that I could be an influence.

Airstreaming is an exclusive club. I'm thrilled to be a part of it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Financially it's a huge investment and I understand my generation for the most part can't get into it unless you're able to afford it. The only reason I can right now is because we got a great deal on one that needed a complete remodel and we're doing it ourselves. There are exceptions but my generation in general has a hard time paying $10k to $20k for a decent vintage airstream ready to go when they can get a brand new fiberglass box for that price. New trailers are almost completely out of the question. Why must getting involved and being a part of the entire "Airstream Experience" be such a chore?

There are lots of discussions on the forums and I've seen in the Blue Beret (I download it free online) articles about membership issues. I'm afraid one day the organization may seriously falter before it finally turns around.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Variety

The club's member diversity is both an advantage and a challenge. Our unit has 65 members and 52 have e-mail (80%). We use broadcast Email to notify those members of changes in plans, but we can not forget the 13 couples who do not have email or smart phones. If the president really needs to notify everyone, he needs to use Snail mail. If it can not wait for Uncle Sam, we do use a phone tree. Even then, some people are not at home all the time. We do list the members' cell phones in the Unit directory, for those who travel a lot. Facebook has limited value, because it is no good, unless they have a smart phone with internet access and have it turned on. Most travelers have cell phones, but only 50% have a smart phones. The unit website gets a weekly update during the active camping/rallying season and is accessible by smart phone.

Most units have a mix of young and older members, which makes it difficult to arrange entertainment and events that are suitable for all.

The membership statistics show that 80% of the new members join with a used or older unit. The Vintage Airstream (sub club) has about 600 active members. People in VAC are usually younger and do their own work.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #52

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
I'm afraid one day the organization may seriously falter before it finally turns around.
But discussion threads like this one are a step in the right direction to turning it around. At the very least, it demonstrates that not ALL of the membership consists of stodgy old geezers who aren't comfortable with technology more advanced than an adding machine. The stodgy old geezers may be in charge for now, but as long as we can outlive them, WBCCI will eventually change.

Then the WBCCI will be run by a new generation of stodgy old geezers, who aren't comfortable with technology more advanced than an iPhone, while the rest of the world has moved on to something even newer and more useful.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You could always volunteer to set up and/or maintain the Unit's web page…
I would not even know where to begin to do such a thing. I am great with computers as long as the work like they are supposed to. When they break that is why we pay big bucks to the IT folks. I offered my services and time and so far have not been received favorably by the current leadership. Could be that I have been vocal about my objection to their support of the SOB motor home issue that is contrary to the vote of the local membership.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The Electronics communication committee was set up to help people like you establish unit websites. It can be started in less than an hour, but it will take more time to put in all the data and keep it current. 25% of the units do not have a website or are not maintaining the ones we set up for them. If you leadership agrees to have one, email the ECC chairman and he will set up the passwords and a person to assist you.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In addition to having a unit website, units need to be willing to use email and snail mail for other than notification/updates of hospitalization of members, deaths, funeral arrangements, etc.

Maggie
Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Just another thought, I don't have a family of my own and am not retired yet I do not know what goes on at a Rally. What do people do besides a pot luck and park near each other - not being negative at all just curious if there are local activities pertaining to the rallies, etc. Perhaps some old iteneraries for people to look at would also help garner interest.
Yes, you are mostly correct ... it is a caravan club after all.
HOWEVER, in our case, we were greeted by a very nice group of folks from both our local area as well as Canada. The rallys have been in interesting locations and allowed us to spend even more time with folks having a similar interest... really a new family of friends.

Our unit (I say our, but have only been a member since July) has provided us with a heads up on several interesting activities and gets out a monthly news letter complete with pictures. We have been in email contact with either unit members or friends from north of the border at least weekly; emailing off photos every time we get Bambi set up is something to which my wife looks forward.

Your "parking near each other[closely]" concern aside, I would say to try it and see if you like it - if for nothing more than the potential friendships that might come from your participation.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
If you own an Airstream and have never been on a rally please look for a rally on this site or try and find out the name of the unit in your area and ask them if you could join them on their next rally. I guarrantee you they will fall all over themselves to have you join them and it probably will not cost you a dime. Please do this and enjoy your airstream in the future!!
Rich Gallagher
richg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
2003 34' Classic
Madison , Alabama
Video

Here are a couple of suggestions for consideration:

I'm not sure how difficult this would be, and I'm sure it would take lots of bandwidth, but many of the most successful websites now have lots of video content. At least a short introduction video would allow folks to gain an understanding of what the club is about and could be used to build excitement and interest.

I have not been able to locate the rally schedule on the new site. One of the things I actually liked about the old site was the rally schedule. It seems to be missing, or maybe I just can't find it.

Stan P.
stanp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
When we first set up the site we did have a video introduction on the front page. We got complaints that the page was too slow to load. Various people have various speed access to the internet. Some are just G style WIFI or worse yet dial up. We decided to change the front page to the auto scrolling pictures that give some motion but are a lot faster to load on slower speed access.

The activities for the individual units and activities can be found in the online version of the monthly Blue Beret which has a link on the .org website.

You can also find the detail and contact people for the unit activities on their individual Unit websites. (80% of the units have them.) the links to the unit wbcci.net websites can be found by going under the join tab to the Region map and then selecting the Region of interest and then the individual unit website under that tab. You can also get to the same place by clicking on the information tab which also takes you to the national map with the Regions designated.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Dwight,

Thanks to you, Tim and the rest of the ECC for making the region map available, but I think that it should also be on the Home-region & unit tab.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
When we first set up the site we did have a video introduction on the front page. We got complaints that the page was too slow to load. Various people have various speed access to the internet. Some are just G style WIFI or worse yet dial up. We decided to change the front page to the auto scrolling pictures that give some motion but are a lot faster to load on slower speed access.

The activities for the individual units and activities can be found in the online version of the monthly Blue Beret which has a link on the .org website.

You can also find the detail and contact people for the unit activities on their individual Unit websites. (80% of the units have them.) the links to the unit wbcci.net websites can be found by going under the join tab to the Region map and then selecting the Region of interest and then the individual unit website under that tab. You can also get to the same place by clicking on the information tab which also takes you to the national map with the Regions designated.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote