Old 07-14-2006, 08:44 AM   #99
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
I wonder if there's any mechanism for that in place, or if we would have to create one. I'm thinking of something that would allow us to keep our unit membership, voting rights, etc., and still gather informally with members of our unit and other units with WBCCI sanctioning for insurance purposes, etc. (Unit membership with MALpractice insurance? )
I think it already exists...its called "host a Rendezvous". Make it a "buddy-rendezvous", if you want to invite non-wbcci/airstream owners.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:03 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I think it already exists...its called "host a Rendezvous". Make it a "buddy-rendezvous", if you want to invite non-wbcci/airstream owners.
Yes, but there are WBCCI rules in place for Buddy Rallys or Rendezvous too:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WBCCI Rules.pdf (58.2 KB, 73 views)

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
To me, a rendezvous already implies too much planning, organization, collection of fees, hosting and notification, parking and oversight rules and obligations. I'm thinking more along the lines of renegade, as Airstream25 described -- scout a desireable site; pick a date; post the date, site description, reservation info; add comments about potluck meals, booze, etc., and attend.

I know you don't need the WBCCI to do this, but this would be for those who want to stay in WBCCI, keep their numbers, have voting rights, and enjoy the friendship and camraderie of fellow Airstream owners in a different kind of atmosphere/get-together. Just take the minimal requirements of a WBCCI get-together and see if that can't be pared down a bit.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
My two cents!

Why retire and move on? I'm not a member of WBCCI. My wife and I have considered it. But so far the answer is no. I'd like to try and explain. My wife and I are both retired public school teachers. I spent 33 years trying to exist with in a system that is like so many. After many years an organization can become an individual in its self. And it seems that what can happen is that the organization and it survival can become more important than the individuals within it. And some of the individuals within that group get sucked up in the POWER and CONTROL they acquire within the group. When this happens the ORGANIZATION and its POWER central become important not the individuals and their needs or desires. When I started teaching in CA, it was number one in education is the U.S. Now it is at the very bottom. The students and their needs, education, and advancement are not the important thing. Oh yea if you listen to the politicians and administration they will give you the spin you want to hear. But their spin is not the truth. Money, politics, sports, etc. are the important things to the ORGANIZATION not real learning or evaluating a students true needs and then fitting there education to those needs. Second I am a member of a Lodge that has been around for a long time. It is slowly dieing on the vine for much the same reasons. Lack of willingness to address real change needed by changing times. Education, lodges, etc. have been important parts of the structure of our society. And they could continue to be, if they would be willing to address the needs of the times and the individuals within. This concept is not new to History. It is part of the rolling wheel. What goes around comes around. But when it comes around again it must be willing to change or it will be left on the road of time as just old used rubber. Why retire? Because there comes a time when we must move on like the wheel. You may have as I have given my time and energy to the survival of the system. We may have given our small bit of change to the system. But there comes a time when its time to roll on. Should I join an organization that is controlled by those that can't move on. Those who failed to admit and train their replacements. And then give their replacements the freedom to do their parts within their time frame work. I may not be Politically correct. But I see that as one of the rewards of moving on. What I say, how I say it, and who I say it to is over. After 33 years in the web of organizational spin. I definitely want to move on. It's time to spend time with people. Talking, laughing, listening, playing, Airstreaming, enjoying the simple life of being human in its warmest possible ways. It is my belief that WBCCI may well die like so many ORGANIZATIONS of our times because it will fail to live. The Forum seems to me to be part of this ongoing living entity. Will it live who will determine what does and what doesn't. It is my belief the old the retired have much to give. But it should be advice not total control and power.
Don
Old 07-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #103
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Cincinnati , Ohio
Don,
As an urban public high school teacher myself, may I say "Congratulations" on your retirement and your understanding of the problem. One can complain about the problem or one can do something about it, but either way, there comes a time to hand the can of worms to someone else to fish with.

Many wishes for a happy Airstreaming life! I've many years left till retirement, but I'm already 'Streaming with 'ya!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Grouco Marx
daveandpamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Everyone joins the wbcci for a different reason(s) (as alluded to from previous posts). We joined initially because we thought that our local unit would 1) provide an immediate way to meet other AS'ers, and 2) to enjoy camping together in scenic locations (we have some of the most scenic) in Oregon, and 3) down the road, we thought we might like to try a caravan (the wb’s best kept secret…. according to a seminar we attended at Int’l). Joining our unit has met our needs in the 1st category…… failed miserably in the 2nd ………and we haven’t yet tried the 3rd. Our wb unit has held almost all their rallies at private RV Parks (one at an outlet mall) and none at state or national campgrounds. We don’t see our unit rally behavior changing anytime soon. This has not been our “cup a tea”!
Since joining ASforums over 2 years ago, our area forums members (an interesting and diverse crew) have staged 8 rallies at county, state, or national CGs! We’ve attended all in full or part! We now consider these folks our “AS family”! This is my idea of camping with other AS’ers!
How would this fit in with the “wb”?? It certainly embraces Wally’s Creed. We could start our own unit, called something like Pacific Northwest Forums Unit. I think we’d have no trouble enlisting the necessary 15 people needed to start a new unit. Whether the Region President would allow it or not remains to be seen. This would instantly satisfy all our reasons to belong to the wb! I envision this unit to be similar to the WDC unit, existing and doing business in cyberspace (no off-season luncheons). I may bring this up to our group rallying in Trout Lake, WA this weekend and see what their response would be. Janet has already proposed a cyber unit on another thread……..this just gets it to a more regional basis.

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Points Well Taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Looks like by-laws and politics to me.

I have not joined the Lubbock TX unit because it is a bunch that is predominately over 70, mired in the past and local politics of personalities, and is looking for someone 20 years younger to indoctrinate into doing things THEIR way..."the way they've always been done"....without them having to do it.
Me: NOT INTERESTED.
I want to go places, see things, meet interesting people and not be bothered with all that MAL-arky.
If that means being an INDEPENDENT, and not a member of WBCCI in any way...so be it.
Ken, just reading your "by-laws" above made my head hurt and made me think...how is this different than what already exists?
More rules, more politics, more committees.....
First of all, it's spooky how well your description of the Lubbock TX Unit describes the NM Unit. They claim they want new members, but when you join you discover that it's THEIR club and they expect you to keep doing things THEIR way.

Secondly, you are dead bang on about my proposed objectives. Even with better objectives, I will still be captive of a stultifying and spirit deadening organization.

Quote:
i like what you are writing kelvan
but i also agree with what airstream25 is offering as well......
he appears to be the membership chair for your region?
do you folks know each other?
2Air you ask about Airstream25, a wonderful MAL adjusted NM member like me. I'm a little worried about his true agenda. As you can see, he wears his blue beret and WBCCI nametag everywhere even when we are courtesy parking in Colorado...
Attached Images

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #106
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Yes, but there are WBCCI rules in place for Buddy Rallys or Rendezvous too:
That mentions "buddy rallies", but not 'rendezvous". what are the rules regarding "rendezvous"?

Quote:
To me, a rendezvous already implies too much planning, organization, collection of fees, hosting and notification, parking and oversight rules and obligations. I'm thinking more along the lines of renegade, as Airstream25 described -- scout a desireable site; pick a date; post the date, site description, reservation info; add comments about potluck meals, booze, etc., and attend.
I thought that WAS the definition of a rendezvous, the only slight difference being "publish it in the unit calendar".

What am I missing?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
That mentions "buddy rallies", but not 'rendezvous". what are the rules regarding "rendezvous"?
Same as rallies I think - from what I understand a rendezvous is just a rally without formal/planned activities. I searched the Blue Book (online at WBCCI.Org and WBCCI1.org/ne using the PDF search function) and no results were returned for "rendezvous".

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
What am I missing?
For the rendezvous(s) that I've attended, the host is responsible for procuring the site, collecting fees and confirming receipt, overseeing parking, making sure all members receive notification of the event, keeping track of site availability and letting people know when it's full, etc., bringing unit supplies to the rally, setting up tents etc. Like myboyburt said, it's a rally without a detailed schedule.

For what I'm talking about, once the location is worked out, everyone is on their own for making arrangements. The notice may or may not ever reach a newsletter depending on how far in advance it is planned. Those who are in this group would need to make an effort to find out about it either by agreeing to receive notice by email, or by watching a forum for notice and details.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 07-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
If you do that, then you will be like THEM...lack of civility! I personally think attacking the problem, not the person, is always the best recourse of action
You are right that (a) we want to be civil and (b) we want to address the problem and not the person.

By suggesting raising the stakes I am not suggesting violating these principles, only in communicating more strongly and more directly what we see that we think needs correcting.

There have been at least two examples in this thread. Joe, for instance, took offense at a comment I made about some MAL behavior I said I have seen in these forums. That provided me the opportunity to clarify what I meant and to learn a bit about what I was thinking and how I express it. I am also hoping that those MAL's whose behavior I described will see themselves and how their behavior is perceived and learn from that also.

Almost all of the complaints about WBCCI that I see in these forums have to do with specific behaviors of specific people. The description is often expressed in derogatory terms and as traits of the person as in this thread (look for power and related verbiage, for instance). I think we need to encourage the complainers to identify specific actions they find offensive and find a way to show the perpetrators a mirror so they can see what they are really doing as perceived by others. Once we have specific actions and events we can then put them up for a "hey, what's wrong here" inspection as a first step towards improvement. As always, this is best done immediately after the action and privately with the indiviual creating the complaint and in a manner that gives the 'suspect' an opportunity to clarify and explain his behavior.

I know that some of the behavior is visible because I have seen volunteer team leader behavior cause team members to be visibly embarrassed at least twice during the I'Rally.

Another fact to consider, and well illustrated in this thread, is that it is not only some folks in WBCCI whose actions create problems, some of the people who interact with WBCCI also behave in a way that creates and magnifies problems rather than solutions.

But, in this thread, we also see several people who step forward to describe their experiences in a civil manner and we see people who offer specific suggestions for improvement. These are the kind of people - near ten percent of those attending the I'Rally - that I saw in Renee's leadership seminars. The number of those attending and their involved participation in the seminars was one of the most positive indications I have ever seen that WBCCI has strength and that the real problems in the organization can be addressed in a proper manner. The attendees at those seminars provided an incredible testimony to what WBCCI is all about and what it offers those willing to join them.

The message is that we shouldn't write off WBCCI - we need to be involved and work for its health and vitality. We need to be civil in promoting specific suggestions for change and improvement. We need to make sure we understand the existing circumstances and why things are the way they are before we start messing with them. We need to work as much as possible within the existing structure. We need to realize that an organization is not a "my way or the highway" thing and work with and listen to others and learn from their ideas and suggestions.

And, I think, WBCCI does need to realize that it is not a club for everyone, not even every Airstream owner. It needs to know what sets it apart, what makes it unique, and what gives it its identity. Learning these things is why a discussion like in this thread is important.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
This would instantly satisfy all our reasons to belong to the wb! I envision this unit to be similar to the WDC unit, existing and doing business in cyberspace (no off-season luncheons). I may bring this up to our group rallying in Trout Lake, WA this weekend and see what their response would be. Janet has already proposed a cyber unit on another thread……..this just gets it to a more regional basis.
jordandvm -- I think this is the way to go. From looking into the cyberunit idea, I found the biggest obstacle to be that a WBCCI unit must belong to a region. So if the new unit forms on the ideas that you've expressed, there could be one such type of "unit" within each region that caters to this particular type of WBCCI member's needs. But it would be hard to make a national or international cyber unit since the unit would have to choose one region to belong while it's members would be from all around the world.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 07-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
jordandvm -- I think this is the way to go. From looking into the cyberunit idea, I found the biggest obstacle to be that a WBCCI unit must belong to a region. So if the new unit forms on the ideas that you've expressed, there could be one such type of "unit" within each region that caters to this particular type of WBCCI member's needs. But it would be hard to make a national or international cyber unit since the unit would have to choose one region to belong while it's members would be from all around the world.
Yes, a unit must belong to a region, however is there any requirement that all members reside in that region or all activities must occur in that region?

Why couldn't this proposed unit be in region 12, for example, and hold activities all over the world, if wanted, hold more than one activity at the same time in multiple locations or hold more than one activity per month?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Units are under Regions, but IntraClubs aren't. IntraClubs report directly to WBCCI IBT through their individual Boards.

However, IntraClub members are also Unit members or MAL. Voting takes place through Units, not the IntraClub.

Different rules apply to Units & IntraClubs when it comes to activities and how they meet & are run.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote