Old 07-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
I really like the MAL-content rally idea.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
So what's wrong with a unit full of rule breakers? Hey -- sign me up!
Why, there isn't anything wrong with a Unit full of rule breakers - I'll send you an application so you can join the New England Unit.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #73
_

. , .
hi regesch and thanks for starting this thread....

now that it is back on subject......

i'm a mal and like it.
i have no local unit that i'd want to join....
and joining a 'local' unit in some other geographic region just seems odd and silly,
also doing that,
supports the 'local unit' structure that the club promotes and is tied too....
just like all the other club crap that they are tied too.....it needs to change.
i am truely doubtful that any local unit can change the national scene.....

i really favor a 2 unit approach
1. the 3rd rock unit
2. every place else

as others have noted AND experienced mals have no voice, no vote, no nothing....except numbers. oh and we can attend wb rallys and stay at airstream parks....ok fine.
and yes we pay waaaaaaaaaay tooooooo much for mal status....

my treatment at the int rally by officers and committee chairs was horrible.
the nicest thing anyone said about my mal status was....
"oh we were like that for a year, till we found a unit"

a couple of big wigs actually suggested i leave and come back when i'd joined correctly....and many others said 'why are you in this meeting, you are not a real member yet'......

local units are the life blood of the old guard wb club....
there are some good reasons for this 2 be sure,
but mostly it is how the politics and policies function....
just like an old time democratic caucus or block group.

in a unit people have rank, and rank rules over the newbies.....big time.
in a unit peers can pressure newbies.....and do big time....

yes there are some fantastic local units....
but again it seems silly to join bill kerfoorts unit if ya live in fargo or miami....
or the denver unit if ya live in maine or seattle
or neu in ya live in utah or kansas....
and some local units actually require newbies to attend IN PERSON at least one meeting or event......please.

i met several people who no longer live anywhere near their 'local unit' but stay in it so they can advance as officers nationally.......
yes it is true! what crap to think......
when it's only campin folks.....

porky's reasoning makes the most sense to me.
i might join the washington state chapter to get a better discount at the lacy land harbor...if i stayed there much....and i could fly my pirate flag!

sure it's easy and cheap to join washdc unit....and if ya want to VOTE on stuff....that is a way to do it. on this leo and i agree

for me the spirit of member at large is......
'i'm on the move,
it IS a travel trailer right?
and i want to be at large in the airstream'....

there is annually talk (bitchn') about limiting mal to 1-2 years....and then requiring everyone to join a unit....

a virtual unit could also work for voting and rallys and so on......but it is not likely....

i like goin campin's idea....
lets ALL join the smallest unit anywhere....
then become officers,
then change the name and flag and so on......
A PIRATE UNIT! would be way wally cool!

i also think that a large group going to a real campground nearby big wb events, and just camping and enjoying themselves....is a powerful statement....

it says
"i'm an airstreamer, we can rally without your crap and our ranks are growing"
wb officers actually came up to check us out near the salem show......12 trailers made an impact, but 30-50 would blow them away.......even in georgia!

or just wait another year......there will be a new airstream club with FUN and camping as the prime directives.......watch 4 it!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
If we're members at large and like it that way, does that make us MALcontents?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #75
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
I really like the MAL-content rally idea.
Sounds good to me. We could also go on the MAL-feasance Caravan.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 ó Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #76
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Sounds good to me. We could also go on the MAL-feasance Caravan.
oh i like this caravan.....
at least then when the officers behave badly.....
it's expected!

truth is if we sent the minimun number of names (10-12) and the charter stuff, we could tell them we're from north mal or west mal or old mal and it would likely not get notices.......as a new canadian unit.

the canadian wb folks were very friendly.....some planned to steal my turkey and plant it in a more prominent location......near the international president's moho.....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
It all just makes me smile. We must be MAL-contents! Totally content with MAL status At least we haven't found anything in this locale that has drawn us in, nor have we been warmly invited--but we like our big red WBCCI letters! Voting? Well, "Save Wally" came close to making us think we maybe should have a unit, but that seems safely put to rest now. Thanks all who worked on that. Maybe we could have a note on our signatures that cites our unit or MAL status, just so we would "know." ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Thumbs up Happy to be a member of the New England Unit....

It must be different here in the New England Unit then it is in some other Units. I do not think we'd have as much fun as we do if we were MAL, our Unit really rocks!

The New England Unit welcomed us with open arms when we showed up for our first rally in 2004 with our ratty looking 93 Excella (major clearcoat peeling issue at the time). It was the 2004 "Rock'n to Woodstock" Region 1 Rally held by the Charter Oaks of CT Unit. We pulled in late on a Thursday - no one from the parking committee was around so we just pulled to the side of one of the fairground's campsite roads, waiting for directions on where we should park and wondered if we had made a mistake coming to this rally as we did not know anyone and we did not feel that we would fit in. BUT, a member of the NEU, a well dressed and spoken fellow walked up to our truck (not washed, a big mud ball looking thing as we had just moved to NH and have a dirt, well mostly mud driveway) and asked us to join the New England Unit happy hour! We were thrilled! We met many folks that night and these folks did not know we were members of the NEU because we were not active in the club - they just wanted everyone to feel welcome at a WBCCI event and wanted us to be part of the fun! During this rally they insured we were included in all NEU events (happy hours, pot lucks, etc) and they showed us the ropes, they got us hooked!

I know that my Unit went through some pain as it transitioned from the traditional way of running things to our current state. Before Leon and I joined some brave souls changed the focus of our club - their goal being the very survival of the New England Unit. Their efforts are paying off - as the New England Unit Membership Chairperson I'm processing 3 to 5 new members every month (since I've been the Chairperson, don't know what the numbers were before me). We are growing and it's because of our focus on the desire of our members to be "just camping" together.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Oh, BTW we are active in the WMNH Unit too

In addition to the NEU we belong to the White Mountains NH Unit. LOVE the President of the club - even when she threatens to go MAL. I feel the change in this Unit, I want to be part of it.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
An MAL is a nonvoting financial contributor and this is a rather common membership class in nonprofit organizations. Rather sad to see the PTB (powers that be) sneering at a source of income for the club, I think. Almost as bad as sneering at another RVer.

As for the MAL-content idea, why not just start another unit? Get ten MAL-contents in your area to sign up, choose a name with a geographic reference, and form an official WBCCI Unit that does things the way you want to do them. There is no rule that says you can't have two official WBCCI Units in the same area nor are the rules for a Unit as restricting as many seem to think. There are too many people making up rules that don't exist it seems to me.

Of course, if you don't want to organize your own local Unit, you could always do it the old fashion way - take over the existing Unit with good politicin' and then change it to funtion the way you think it ought to.

The danger of the MAL-contents is that they might come to be seen only as irresponsible complainers and moaners who never do anything.

There is also the warning of becoming known for destructive behavior rather than constructive. Such behavior is tolerated by many for a while but it does create an itch and a scratch and, eventually, something will break. Just being against something is akin the parable about the Emperor's New Clothes.

And don't confuse the MAL-content idea with Gypsies. The SKP club caters to the Gypsy crowd. WBCCI, so far, has members with roots in the land. There is an important identity thing here about what brings people together and their common interests and causes.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Cyber unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Well I think I've just about had it. Is anyone else finding that being an "active" member of their Unit that you spend more time on the politics and less time on what you thought you joined the club for? Like camping?
What do I have to lose? Can anyone tell me the down side of this?
Cyber unit?

This Cyber unit of WBCCI tread was started by Janet.

65GT has added that the WDCU is similar to a cyber unit.
See their comments below.

My question is why not drop WBCCI and just consider Airstream Forums to be our Cyber Unit of Airstream Owners.
We already enjoy the forum comments, questions, answers, polls etc.
We are able to attend any of the forum rallies that are convenient to our location and available time.

There is no cost, no uniforms, no flags.

All we need to do is post any Cyber unit rallies that we are willing to organize and make available to other Airstream Forums members.

Seems like the only things we would miss out on are the WBCCI rallies, Vintage rallies and the ability to vote in WBCCI affairs.

Comments?

---
Janet:
I have been mulling over the "What makes a unit a good unit" issue and have a couple of thoughts....
A good unit has regular communication, rallies, member participation, diversity, encourages new folks to join and carries out the mission of the parent organization. it's members have voice and vote and feel valued.
Some of us belong to those kinds of units - some don't. Many of us live hundreds of miles form a WBCCI unit - and while we belong - we do not participate in the regular business of the organization - we can't - it's too far to drive. Many belong to the WBCCI as "at large members" and have no unit affiliation AND no voice or vote - yet pay dues.
So... how about a Cyber unit? Forums members are already acting as a WBCCI unit. we plan and hold rallies, we meet regularly (online), heck we vote on polls! We work out our differences, we (many of us) are willing to support the forums with cash...
Why not start a WBCCi unit? it could be a venue to give those 'at large" members a voice. We are already a cohesive community. We have the technology to hold online meetings and there is established practice for doing so. I beong to another organization that has online meetings and balloting - it's fairly effective.
If the current model of the WBCCI is not flexible enough for our new population, let's expand it. Don't throw it away - just tweak it a little. There is room for both traditional units and non-traditional units. Many already belong to more than one unit anyway....

---
65GT:
WDCU members pay $55 + $1. They do all of their VOTING by email. If you don't respond, they CALL you.
They also have their own forum for online communications and an online newsletter. They're interested in taking in members from any and everywhere... To be an affiliate member will also cost you a buck.
The website:
http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Joined Today

I am now the proud owner of 30962 - these were the numbers on the Caravel and I decided to keep them. I am a MAL - and only joined to go to the rallies and meet you folks. I am already the President of my POA and of the last remaining Gun and Archery Club on a NASA facility nationwide. The last one keeps me real BUSY.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
I have been mulling over the "What makes a unit a good unit" issue and have a couple of thoughts....
A good unit has regular communication, rallies, member participation, diversity, encourages new folks to join and carries out the mission of the parent organization. it's members have voice and vote and feel valued.

If the current model of the WBCCI is not flexible enough for our new population, let's expand it. Don't throw it away - just tweak it a little.
The problem is one of semantics and integrity to purpose.

The WBCCI does have the flexibility you seek but is using different words. There are Units which are geographic and representational entities and then there are intra-clubs that are BOF (birds of a feather) groups within WBCCI. One is geo-centric and the other is interest-centric but, in both cases, the unifying factor is subordinate to what identifies WBCCI as an entity unto itself. Both do rallies and have other events under the WBCCI banner.

A 'cyber' intra-club already exists. The question, if you want to tweak current practice a bit, is where the problem lies in what currently exists. I am seeing two agendas that are driving this and neither is being addressed in what I think is a totally honest manner.

The first is the matter of MAL voting privilege. The second is that of organization governance.

To me, the MAL voting gripes are curious because they seem to be complaining about a contract after accepting it. It almost seems that people signed up as MAL just so they could complain about something.

The organization governance is what is behind the 'what makes a unit a good unit' criteria you listed. Those efforts require volunteers and resources working in planned and coordinated way. That is what makes an organization different from what some seem to envision as an alternative.

The governance and overhead issue is one the creeps up on people. It sounds really nice to suggest a rally can be put together by just a bit of forum discussion. This works but only up to a point. Somebody has to keep track of who is going. Somebody has to make reservations. Somebody has to scout the site. The group has to figure out what is acceptable and what isn't and what to do if someone violates the standards. Someone needs to manage funds and pay bills. This all requires governance and management and that means organization. You can find out how to do this by trial and error or you can use what others have learned. Much of the discussion here seems to be for the former while WBCCI provides the latter.

The way I see it, the discussions about these things won't bear much edible fruit until the underlying problems some people have with how things currently are become clarified and understood.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #84
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
It almost seems that people signed up as MAL just so they could complain about something..
hi bryan and others......

i've not met ANYONE who is a mal or was once a mal, that fits this description....

-many use this route as the quickest club entry,
-some/many dealers will pay for the first years memebership and submit the paperwork right from the dealers office. since new buyers will no zip about local options, mal is suggested to get the membership done and complete the process. my dealer does this and i've talked to many airstream sales folks who do the same thing...
-some use this route because they don't have a local unit that is close enough or that they are familiar with......
-some use this route because the local unit is dormant, dead or dying
-some use this because they have tried the local unit and for whatever reason it did not fit.
-some because they have moved recently and want flexibility before joining a local unit....
-and i'm sure there are other well intended reasons.....folks choose mal...

i agree that complaining after the 'contract' is signed is an issue.......
but no one, at no time, in no space, or in any media informs potential mals that they will not have voting rights or other limited membership rights...in telephone contacts, email contacts and reviewing the wb website, the issues were never mentioned...when i asked at h/q, what's different about being a 'mal' i was told "you won't get any local unit newsletters (but many are on line), your fees are paid directly to jc and you won't have local luncheons monthly during the off season....that's about it".....

the no vote 'feature' of mal is only understood by word of mouth or other grass roots communication....or by reading the offical materials.......which are received AFTER joining. since mals have no representation or contact person or formal communications.....info is all second hand.....or at local unit functions and rallys.......

i asked the 'bulletin board' big wigs,
if mals could have a small space to post messages to each other.....and was told no and we could just have the 'message committee deliver messages or get on the cb......

there are many reasons for discontent 2 b sure but the notion that the discontent join as a mal is unfounded......

of course now with the forums the 2 may be linked and i like it!

cheers
2air'