Old 07-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Many Airstreams without red numbers at this year's International

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
I'm with you on that Jim. I would like to go to Int'l and hang out for the VAC Open house for an afternoon or two but regulations on where your numbers have to be, how and where to park, proper way to wear your beret, three flags at certain heights and a certain order? I have to deal with this during my work week, not when I want to put my feet. WDU sounds like a good idea. I've been to one of the AZ unit's events, one of the few they have a year, and it wasn't for me.

Brad
FF
While I was at International this year I notice many, many rigs without red numbers or with red numbers on Plexiglas attached by suction cups to front/back windows. I did not see (or hear) of anyone from the WBCCI police going after these people. I also saw (mostly in vintage) many "unapproved" flags - once again no WBCCI police round up of whipper-snappers happened that I know of. As for the Berets, they run so small everyone needs to get a size large and then they barely fit - the manufacturer must think everyone in the WBCCI is a pin head!

So from my vintage point it looks like our club is changing, for the better! There are still some silly rules but many of old guard are looking the other way when us whipper-snappers break them. To me this is great progress.

I recommend you go to the 2007 International, if the programs being offered don't appeal to you then make your own fun - this is what the folks in Vintage do and they have a blast! Oh, and when you're there look me up. I'll be easy to spot: Super shiney 93 Excella without numbers flying at least 2 unapproved flags with a bunch of lighted pink flamingos and 1 lighted alligator surrounding my rig.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
After we got our 26' Argosy finished and painted, we went to a rally and were referred to as the "people in that old painted thing".
That is sad.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:57 AM   #31
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
...but regulations on where your numbers have to be, how and where to park, proper way to wear your beret, three flags at certain heights and a certain order?
hey, its not like you're going to be "ejected" from the rally if you don't follow these silly rules. Seems to me that the worst consequence is that you might invite a snide grumbling from some old fuddy-duddy...thats about it. There's plenty of ways to work around these things...numbers can be displayed without permantently affixing them. At least when you're parked, you'll "look" uniform, and the important reason for them is still achieved. (quick and easy identification in the event of an emergency). This "uniformity" is a hallmark of the generation that now rules the club. I say, let 'em have their fun. It'll eventually pass, along with buggy-whips, engine cranks, gopher holes and snail-mail.

now, the berets: there's one rule they SHOULD enforce...problem is, no one in the club KNOWS HOW to wear a beret properly. If they did...we wouldn't be griping about it, cuz they'd be cool and ultra-hip, as they were originally intended. But instead, they just look silly.

Rally Fees: I just got a refund check from the last one I attended. No explanation, but I assume the hosts spent less $$ than they originally anticipated.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

Rally Fees: I just got a refund check from the last one I attended. No explanation, but I assume the hosts spent less $$ than they originally anticipated.
Me too! It's like free money. I love it when this happens.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
I'm going

And I'll be flying the USMC colors! I'll have my Grandfather's beret too, but probably won't wear it. And I'll be a 2nd VP to the WDCU.... oh yeah! Maybe I'll be impeached.
Attached Images

http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Could this be the problem?

I am a member at large. I found the locol Units web page. No phone number. So I E-mailed the Unit Pres. about joining his Unit. No response for the last week.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
And I'll be flying the USMC colors! I'll have my Grandfather's beret too, but probably won't wear it. And I'll be a 2nd VP to the WDCU.... oh yeah! Maybe I'll be impeached.
Maybe your impeachment can be one of the scheduled events at the 2007 International Rally.....

Old 07-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #36
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Okay. Who's gonna be the first to tell the Marine that he's flying the wrong flag??

Line forms on the left.

anyone?

~crickets chirping~

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #37
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
I am a member at large. I found the locol Units web page. No phone number. So I E-mailed the Unit Pres. about joining his Unit. No response for the last week.
He was probably at the International ... but if he had his computer with him ... no excuse not to answer.

Isn't it amazing how different Units operate? When we joined the Washington Unit last month ... the guy in charge of membership was called in before we left the Gatehouse ... he drove up in his golf cart and gave us a warm welcome.

About an hour after we parked, another member came over ... said he was part of the "welcoming committee" ... then gave us about a 2 pound filet of King Salmon!

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Well, I am not surprised really. You see I picked this Unit cause they are small and Blue haired. Except for one poor guy that does everything I don't think they are that active. Why you ask?

EVIL PLAN

Phase one
1, Join dying unit.
2, Invite all the people I've met between Visalia and San Diego who just want to camp and have fun to join also.

Phase two
1, Go camping in new and cool places. Campgrounds and boondocking.
2, No flag rules.
3, No fees other than campground. This means no store bought cake or provided dinners. Bring your own food and drink.
4, No business meeting shall last more than an hour.

All suggestions are welcome.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
As others have said, we can most often get a reduced rate as a group. We got a discounted rate for the Outter Banks this August.

Most peope like to feel part of the group by helping out at the rally. It's a lot easier if everyone helps out, but feel free to plan your own time and do what interests you in the area. We like to plan 1 group event.

I am having an informal rally Aug 4-7 at a nice park in Ontario. No plans, no events just camping, campfire and maybe joint pizza party.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Well I think I've just about had it. Is anyone else finding that being an "active" member of their Unit that you spend more time on the politics and less time on what you thought you joined the club for? Like camping?
I'm assuming that what you mean by "active" member is holding an officers position. If that is the case, hang in there as it will be over with in two months. I think that once you are out of the officer position you will find you will be spending less time in politics and more time sitting back, relaxing and enjoying the camping experience.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
That political BS going on as noticed by the thread starting post is the pot boiling. Right now those old fuddy duddies in the wierd hats someone says they want to avoid are sitting on the lid. Let's hope we can get them off the lid before the pot explodes. There are indications that some posteriors are noticing the warmth and working to let the steam escape before it gets dangerous, but we still need to maintain vigilence and keep the pressure up.

The thing to keep in mind is that this is our organization as much as it is theirs. Do not talk of the local Unit or WBCCI as somebody else. Instead, it is an opportunity for you to get together with others of your ilk and organize so your Airstream experience is a bit more than it would be without them. It is also an opportunity to see how others, not of your ilk, see their Airstream experience. Who knows? You might learn something, if you dare.

That political BS is people trying work things out, figure out what makes the WBCCI unique and special, figure out why they should pay dues, and what is important. You can help there, too, by working to help others understand why the club exists, focus on what is important, and increase the visibility of the pettiness, bigotry, and other irrelevant distractions. I think there are a lot of people looking in a mirror shoved in front of their face and not too pleased with what they see.

Not everyone has the time or the resources to run the club at the Regional or higher levels but all of us can keep our local Units alive, kicking, and true to purpose. While we do need to appreciate and honor the committment of the upper echelons, we need to first figure out ways to get our friends and neighbors in our Units to focus on the important stuff. Then we can properly guide the upper echelons. Part of this is really understanding what the organization is all about and what purpose it serves and why it is needed. That isn't being communicated very well and a major part of that communication should be in performance.

The dues aren't much, really. A good dinner for two hits the same ballpark. So dues payments amounts are a distraction from the real issues. Find those issues, get involved, make change, go camping, and learn your Airstream.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Well thank you all for your support. I came into the club, dumb, fat, & happy as a good friend said. Being in office has unfortunately exposed me to the politics of the club and the responses to may issues by a few members have simply not been christian or kind. I wish I could have remained in my happy fog. I want to avoid these agressive people who think it has to be their way or no way. Unfortunately as the Pres. you don't have that option.

You all are right, we need to keep having our brand of simple fun, tone down the rules, ignore the rules completely if they don't enhance our good times.

I was really happy to see so many comments from people I know I have spent time with and as I said before I have loved the many people I have met young and old at Rallies, International, Region and other places. The people are the best part of the club.

I am an afflilate of WDCU and a member of VAC, I do agree that it may not be a matter of what unit you belong too but just finding your group with like ideas about the brand of fun they want to have.

Thanks again guys, I'll try and hang on.