Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
That political BS going on as noticed by the thread starting post is the pot boiling. Right now those old fuddy duddies in the wierd hats someone says they want to avoid are sitting on the lid. Let's hope we can get them off the lid before the pot explodes. There are indications that some posteriors are noticing the warmth and working to let the steam escape before it gets dangerous, but we still need to maintain vigilence and keep the pressure up.

The thing to keep in mind is that this is our organization as much as it is theirs. Do not talk of the local Unit or WBCCI as somebody else. Instead, it is an opportunity for you to get together with others of your ilk and organize so your Airstream experience is a bit more than it would be without them. It is also an opportunity to see how others, not of your ilk, see their Airstream experience. Who knows? You might learn something, if you dare.

That political BS is people trying work things out, figure out what makes the WBCCI unique and special, figure out why they should pay dues, and what is important. You can help there, too, by working to help others understand why the club exists, focus on what is important, and increase the visibility of the pettiness, bigotry, and other irrelevant distractions. I think there are a lot of people looking in a mirror shoved in front of their face and not too pleased with what they see.

Not everyone has the time or the resources to run the club at the Regional or higher levels but all of us can keep our local Units alive, kicking, and true to purpose. While we do need to appreciate and honor the committment of the upper echelons, we need to first figure out ways to get our friends and neighbors in our Units to focus on the important stuff. Then we can properly guide the upper echelons. Part of this is really understanding what the organization is all about and what purpose it serves and why it is needed. That isn't being communicated very well and a major part of that communication should be in performance.

The dues aren't much, really. A good dinner for two hits the same ballpark. So dues payments amounts are a distraction from the real issues. Find those issues, get involved, make change, go camping, and learn your Airstream.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Well thank you all for your support. I came into the club, dumb, fat, & happy as a good friend said. Being in office has unfortunately exposed me to the politics of the club and the responses to may issues by a few members have simply not been christian or kind. I wish I could have remained in my happy fog. I want to avoid these agressive people who think it has to be their way or no way. Unfortunately as the Pres. you don't have that option.

You all are right, we need to keep having our brand of simple fun, tone down the rules, ignore the rules completely if they don't enhance our good times.

I was really happy to see so many comments from people I know I have spent time with and as I said before I have loved the many people I have met young and old at Rallies, International, Region and other places. The people are the best part of the club.

I am an afflilate of WDCU and a member of VAC, I do agree that it may not be a matter of what unit you belong too but just finding your group with like ideas about the brand of fun they want to have.

Thanks again guys, I'll try and hang on.
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:06 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Don't let the "crabs" get you down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch

... and the responses to may issues by a few members have simply not been christian or kind...I want to avoid these aggressive people who think it has to be their way or no way. Unfortunately as the Pres. you don't have that option.
There is another option…don't let the "crabs" get you down. A "crab" is the type of person for whom nothing is ever right, nothing is ever good enough, and there's not one single thing you can do to make it better (in their mind, at least). I’ve found, if you stay determined, you can keep a "crab" from pulling you down to their level.

1. Try to understand why they're negative. They may be dealing with a serious life issue. Understanding may help you be more sympathetic and less frustrated.

2. Talk to them about it. Tell them you've noticed they have seemed a little down and offer to help. They may exercise their right not to divulge anything, but it may help just to know someone cares. It also can help them realize how they're coming across as they truly may not realize how much their negativity is affecting others.

3. Avoid them if the situation doesn't show signs of improvement.

4. Remove them from your environment (if possible and if truly necessary).

5. Have a "recovery plan." If steps 1-3 above haven't worked, and you can't remove them (which is often the case), have a plan for how you'll replenish your good mood after you come into contact with them. A recovery plan will help make sure that even if you can't change the situation, you can at least make sure it won't destroy your mood. If you like, I can be a part of your “recovery plan”. You are more than welcome to cry on my shoulder anytime, girl friend, and then I will put on my flamingo costume and run around in circles to make you laugh like a little girl!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nancy with Ben.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	23282  

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I know the feeling...

Quote:
I came into the club, dumb, fat, & happy as a good friend said. Being in office has unfortunately exposed me to the politics of the club and the responses to may issues by a few members have simply not been christian or kind. I wish I could have remained in my happy fog. I want to avoid these agressive people who think it has to be their way or no way. Unfortunately as the Pres. you don't have that option.
As Prez...you give it your all and when it's still not enough, you can get a bit worn out. Hang in there, your year will be over sooner than you think then you can try to divorce yourself from all the political "stuff" and just go back to having fun again. It takes awhile to get out of the political loop, but it is possible and believe it or not, you will look back on "your year" as fun.

BTW, the best flag to fly, sticker to stick and pin to wear is the "Past President" one...consider them a badge of honor and reply to the next time someone asks you to run for an office! Been there, done that! You'll be in good company with others that know exactly where you have been.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
I am a member at large. I found the locol Units web page. No phone number. So I E-mailed the Unit Pres. about joining his Unit. No response for the last week.
Goin Camping,

Last week the president was probably at the International and internet access was hard to find. If you want to join El Camino Real, let me know, they are trying to make me membership person.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Wkerfoot,

I am looking at Units in L.A. County. If that falls through I will be calling you.

Good luck in your new position.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Attend on your own terms

Hi. I was at International with my sister last month (myboyburt). We were in the "dead and dying section of AS motorhomes, as we flew in and stayed with the 'rents who have one. FYI, parents are fun, not dead and dying.

I am definitely going to be attending International next year, but I will be staying at a campground right next to the fairgrounds where I can do whatever the heck I want (within the law and modesty). Guarenteed 4 way hookups and I can fly any flag I want. Have already paid for International, just not staying on their turf. This way I can investigate, agiitate, then go back and kick up.

Google Perry for campgrounds, they have some nice ones!

peo
Old 07-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
To me paying all that money to be "At Large" seems to be fiscally irresponsible. And if you want to be affiliated with the fun people....just join their club. The NEU is a great group of folks, as you know, and it seems that your money would be better spent with them, then at headquarters.

This must have been a particularly bad year to be a president with secret emails, letters, and lots of intrigue with name changes and basecamp. I was shocked myself when I attended my first business meeting this spring and I found that people were afraid the Basecamp might let the riff raff into the club. They envisioned seas of popup trailers encamped next to their 34'er. But then again I didn't have to get too worked up about it since I wasn't in a leadership role. I was just the crazy young new kid with the old trailer.

And by the way MyBoyBurt what rally are you attending this weekend? I don't see it in the newsletter.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:37 PM   #49
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
And by the way MyBoyBurt what rally are you attending this weekend? I don't see it in the newsletter.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...-21;&e=244&c=1
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
That's two weeks away. I was hoping there was something this weekend that we could attend. We will be in Vermont for the BMW Motorcycle rally that weekend. So we will have to try to make it to the Hot Air Balloon Festival rally.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #51
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
So many rallies...so little time.

well...they were in VT last weekend. (yesterday). I don't know of anything else planned.

Did you guys aquire an "east-coast" trailer?

hope you got something. We don't want any "riff-raff" at our rallies.

who am I kidding?; we ARE the riff-raff
And as far as that goes, anyone that can afford a 25,000 dollar tent is far better off than I, with my ratty old fix-r-up-r of a trailer, and its leaky black tank, house a/c stickin' out the winder, and maggies drawers hangin' from the antenna, etc, etc...
(insert toothless smiley here )
Old 07-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
I'm Ready to drop Out

Quote:
Well I think I've just about had it. Is anyone else finding that being an "active" member of their Unit that you spend more time on the politics and less time on what you thought you joined the club for? Like camping?

My pro's list- I have met so many people who I love seeing over and over again at Rally's and I would not change that for anything.

Con list-too much time spent on "running things" rally's, region, electing this and that, changing names, don't change. Flags, lights, berets, blue jackets, white jackets, red jackets. Fly this flag, fly that flag, it's your trailer do what you want! WHO CARES!

I will pick a place to go, let people know where I'm going and see if they want to come.
What do I have to lose? Can anyone tell me the down side of this?
I have followed this and similar threads with interest. I am not seeing much in the way of folks telling "me the down side of this".
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
So many rallies...so little time.

well...they were in VT last weekend. (yesterday). I don't know of anything else planned.

Did you guys aquire an "east-coast" trailer?

hope you got something. We don't want any "riff-raff" at our rallies.

who am I kidding?; we ARE the riff-raff
And as far as that goes, anyone that can afford a 25,000 dollar tent is far better off than I, with my ratty old fix-r-up-r of a trailer, and its leaky black tank, house a/c stickin' out the winder, and maggies drawers hangin' from the antenna, etc, etc...
(insert toothless smiley here )
No east coast trailer yet.... just a tent, a paja que shade shelter and a truck.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
Question

the upside is we can exchange parts
Old 07-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
Hi Uberlanders,

It wasn't a WBCCI Rally, just three wayward Airstreams running a-muck in Vermont for the weekend. Actually two of the folks were doing the preplanning work for the Great Pumpkin Harvest Moon Rally, Leon and I went along for the fun and friendship.

Caution! Shameless Rally Plug:

This rally is being held in one of the most beautiful spots in New England for foliage viewing - at Bald Mountain Campground in Townshend VT which is in the West River Valley surrounded by the Green Mountains. Fall colors should be at their peak as this rally is scheduled for Columbus Day weekend, October 6th - 9th. This is a joint White Mountains NH and New England Unit event which is already generating lots of interest within our two Units so be sure to sign up early to reserve your spot.

This rally is being billed as a youth rally with many activities our younger members will just love. But even if you don't have kids this rally has a ton to offer! Within Townshend Village you will find:
  • Townshend Dam Recreation Area
  • Townshend State Park which has hiking trails to Bald Mountain ( a 1,100 foot near vertical climb to the top. Good luck! ).
  • Scott covered bridge built in 1870
  • Restaurants
  • Factory Outlets
  • Antique Shops
  • Apple picking at local orchards (Leon and I will not be joining you for this event as he grew up on an apple farm where you had to pick apples for work).
  • Fly fishing with easy river access at the campground
  • Bird watching - I saw lots last weekend
A bit of a drive from the Rally site but well worth it is Manchester Village, VT - This town is listed in the book "1000 Places to See Before You Die" as a not to be missed destination.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Exclamation wayward Airstreams running a-muk and off-topic

myboyburt -- Hey, I like the way you think, shameless plug and all.

If the fun we had in the planning is any indicator, then the rally itself will be a load of fun for kids of all ages! Bald Mountain Campground was beautiful this weekend, and it's going to be gorgeous in the fall. We'll get a rally notice up soon on the forum, so be watching out for it! Any of you forum members -- whether WBCCI, MAL, or just running amok -- we'd love to see you in Vermont on Columbus Day weekend!

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #57
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
There is also a big craft fair about 5-10 minutes south of the campground in Newfane that weekend. Thats usually worth seeing.

traffic can get REALLY backed up coming up rt. 30 both days. (Sat and Sun).
Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Caution: Another Shamless Plug For the Oct. Rally!!!!

This October Rally is geared toward youth BUT the activities planned are AGELESS!!!
Treasure Hunting/Geocaching if we have time, bonfires, storytellers at Adams Farm with a discount in usual cost from the generous owners of Adams farm. Costumes, pumpkin carving, decorations, a large pavillion for us to use. All sites with electric and water.

Any member of the club AND the forum is welcome as guests. I'm hoping some Canadian forum members who have replied to this thread will consider coming!!!!
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Let's Get this Thread Back on Topic...

This thread is supposed to be devoted to wailing, moaning, and discontent. Somehow we have let it drift back to feelgood discussions of beautiful campgrounds and enjoyable rally activities. Even rgesch, the thread's author, has been subverted into describing the "ageless" possibilities of a WBCCI rally. This thread has been hijacked. Where is the outrage?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
!!! ARGHhh!!SNarf and howl!! We are MAL's, and just before klevan's post, I had read WAY back to see where this began--since I was confused by happy rallys in a thread for MALcontents Right on, klevan! (shhh. . .happy rallies appeal and give hope to us MALs!) ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote