Old 01-15-2006, 09:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by phred
As an aside on the acronym: It was pointed out at the meeting that a Google search of AOA yielded 2.5 million hits. Assoc on Aging, American Ostrich Assoc, etc. AOAI got 31,500 hits with only the Avanti Owners Association, International recognizable.

And we all know what happened to the Avanti.....

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
(I'm thinking of dawning a bullhorn at our next rally. Tim has a small motorized bike that I could ride around on!) The patch on MY beautiful, new, blue beret says 'Wally Byam Caravanners' and it has a profile picture of Wally on it. Looks pretty good.

I'm a 44-year-old vintage Airstream geek, and I'm loving Wally's vision. If I could have only been there during the early years, I would have been in heaven. (Historically modern. That's the tact the WBCCI should be taking to attract and retain new members.)
Kimber & Tim,

We actually have two "City Bugs", which look an awful lot like Wally's little scooter. Maybe we can get on our scooters and don our bullhorns at the next rally and heckle the IBT to abandon this folly, LOL. As for the Beret, I'm thinking about taking my Maroon Beret from my Airborne days and bleaching it, then dying it blue and getting a Wally patch.

I'm a 32-year-old vintage Airstream geek myself, and I really think that the IBT is doing a serious disservice to Wally's memory by changing the name of the club. Wally's maxim was to never change anything, only make improvements to the current design. I see nothing gained by this change....there is no improvement whatsoever.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 01-15-2006, 11:51 PM   #17
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
Kimber & Tim,

We actually have two "City Bugs", which look an awful lot like Wally's little scooter. Maybe we can get on our scooters and don our bullhorns at the next rally and heckle the IBT to abandon this folly, LOL. As for the Beret, I'm thinking about taking my Maroon Beret from my Airborne days and bleaching it, then dying it blue and getting a Wally patch.

I'm a 32-year-old vintage Airstream geek myself, and I really think that the IBT is doing a serious disservice to Wally's memory by changing the name of the club. Wally's maxim was to never change anything, only make improvements to the current design. I see nothing gained by this change....there is no improvement whatsoever.

Frederic
You're ON! We'll bring the gas and the martini shaker and make a day of it.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
What octane gas? I prefer Chopin Vodka myself Our City Bugs are electric.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 01-16-2006, 01:03 AM   #19
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
What octane gas? I prefer Chopin Vodka myself Our City Bugs are electric.

Frederic
Grey Goose for us. I bring a battery charger - how about that???
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-16-2006, 10:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
What we could do here is to put together a LIST bullet points arguments for and against Changing the Name - not what the name change submission is or poking fun at what is presented. In my mind that just weakens our stand.

We have to present WBCCI as a viable "Club" name for the next 50 years. And present a case that changing the name is not going to solve the issues WBCCI if facing today. More importantly look for the rationale IBT presents with their information to propose the Name Change.

And folks if we can not do that then we have a loosing case on our hands.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
Grey Goose for us. I bring a battery charger - how about that???
I've always found that potato vodka goes down my gullet smoother than grain vodka. You bring the batter charger, I'll bring the bullhorns.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 01-16-2006, 09:47 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
As a long time member, 28 years, we feel the same about the name change, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Besides the cost of changing everything (at IBT last year it was said to be about $100,000.00), it is an insult to Wally Byam. He built Airstream from the ground up and he was the founder of WBCCI. When Airstream is celebrating it's 75th year and the WBCCI 50 years, what a slap in the face! So what if it takes all of 20 seconds to explain that WBCCI means you belong to the club that only accepts Airstream products. You have that persons attention for those few seconds, where if it said Airstream Owners Assoc. International, Incorp.,AOAII (sounds like a yodel) you wouldn't have his attention at all
Old 01-16-2006, 09:52 PM   #23
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
I've always found that potato vodka goes down my gullet smoother than grain vodka. You bring the batter charger, I'll bring the bullhorns.

Frederic
Ha! You bring the Chopin! We'll bring our 25 watt blowtorch SPECO, a magnum of goose AND a modified intellipower, capable of charging any battery in under 4 seconds!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:55 PM   #24
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janssvt
As a long time member, 28 years, we feel the same about the name change, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Besides the cost of changing everything (at IBT last year it was said to be about $100,000.00), it is an insult to Wally Byam. He built Airstream from the ground up and he was the founder of WBCCI. When Airstream is celebrating it's 75th year and the WBCCI 50 years, what a slap in the face! So what if it takes all of 20 seconds to explain that WBCCI means you belong to the club that only accepts Airstream products. You have that persons attention for those few seconds, where if it said Airstream Owners Assoc. International, Incorp.,AOAII (sounds like a yodel) you wouldn't have his attention at all
$100,000!?! I would love to see that documented somewhere! Was that a statement or was that an actual estimate?
Old 01-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Worthy of Noting

It is a worthy point to note that the WBCCI IBT is only moving forward with a name change because the delegates from the units across the United States and Canada voted to have them do so. The majority of the voting members in the club have requested a new name that will include the word Airstream. Any challenge to this would need to be addressed to the voting members, not the IBT! Democracy at work!

Delegates will vote on the new proposed name, Airstream Owners Association International Incorporated (to be abbreviated AOAI) at the June 30, 2006 Delegates' meeting at the International Rally.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
I keep hearing this argument and I keep saying back to it - the delegates agreed to include the name/word "Airstream" in the existing corporate name WBCCI From there a Task force was appointed to RESEARCH and STUDY the costs associated with a name change AND to determine the new name with the Word Airstream in the Existing Corporate Name.

So you tell me how this whole process has been hi-jacked and where AOA, AOAI and AOAII even came from??????
Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Because in the minutes, from what Linda Amme just told me on the phone, the only thing that was written was that there was a proposal to change the club name, not that there was a proposal to add the word Airstream. Since there was no resolution at the three hour IBT meeting, they agreed to put it to a delegate vote at the Rally in Salem. It will be up to the unit members to tell their delegates what they want. A very good point that was brought up was that many of the old timers don't bother with the internet to keep up on WBCCI activity. What should be done, is to send out a mass mailer via snail mail and inform all the members what's going on. Of course, the minutes will be available in the next Blue Beret too, so I really don't see any excuse for lack of action. The only way I see this resolution passing is because too many members just didn't care enough to do anything about it. Our greatest enemy is indifference.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 01-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Olympia , Washington
Yes, that's it. It now goes to the membership. Too bad there is so much bad information passed out on this forum!
I've decided to quit looking at this part of the forum because the same few keep re-hashing the same incorrect stuff (or words to that effect)!
R.B. Bernd
Chairman, WBCCI Name Selection Committee
1VP, Region 10, WBCCI