Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Should Bob Thompson and Leo Garvey be suspended for expressing their opinions
YES 3 2.46%
NO 119 97.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
It works Carol WE JUST PROVED IT at Detroit-Metro Rally With everyone working together WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
As far as the IBT goes---one's character is shown by how he handles truthful criticism. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Goin Campin
I really don't think Wally meant it to be like this.
Truer words were never said.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Not what Wally would want...

Quote:
The problem is the international seems to be takin all the fun out of campin, and it rolls down hill to the locals units and takes their fun away also from all the hate and discontent.
I really don't think Wally meant it to be like this.
I agree....and, this is partly why it has taken us 4 years before we finally mailed in our application to join WBCCI! I am hoping that, if all (some?) of us that have been sitting on the fence or registering as MAL's make the move, perhaps we can help things change for the better before the club disintegrates...

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
virginia beach , Virginia
Cool

I can't help it I have to say it. This incident reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gave his dad a Cadillac and the board members of the retirement community were making assumptions about where his dad got the money for the car, and voted Jerry's dad off of the board and they ended up moving back to NY from Florida.http://www.airforums.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif
In the end what really is important? Having fun camping with friends and family or maintaining status quo in a club that got started as a way to organize some of the trips and events to have more fun camping? I doubt they will run Bob off the campground should he try to attend a rally or go camping. Will they( WBCCI) lock up his airstream? take his tow hitch from him? Ban him for a year from AS only campgrounds?
I think it's time to take a step back and relax for everyone involved in this incident and just go camping. Go enjoy life as we aren't here forever.
Pride makes us do foolish things.
WBCCI #02579
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Goin Campin!

I find myself rather in agreement with 2-air-is-human. The WBCCI will find itself shrinking and shrinking. They ARE Neanderthal man and Homo Sapiens is already here. We didn't come to destroy Neanderthal, but that IS the inevitable upshot of the situation. Current science says that our species does not carry any Neanderthal DNA, but there's not a whole lot of Neanderthal DNA around to test, is there? Respect the earlier life form even though you know it's days are limited.

If you have a mind to join a local unit and "go camping" - do so. The politics? All fish flop around while they are dying.

I have been told that the IBT has boycotted Forum Rallies in the past even though they've been cordially invited. Why bypass an opportunity to "sell" the benefits of joining the WBCCI?

The evil part of me says, gee they do a great job of posting when and where their rallies will be.... what would happen if the FORUM folks just accidently showed up for a parallel rally in the same campground now and then? Would the universe collapse due to a rupture in the space-time continuum?

Or would a few people start looking over the fence and saying, Hm, a wine tasting? ...A pot luck where no one brings tuna casserole? ...What the hell IS hummas? No prayer meeting Sunday morning? What the heck is a polishing party? What the heck are Rivettes? Why are they having so much fun? Maybe no one would notice if I wandered over there for a few minutes. I can just see the sargent at arms posting perimeter guards and requiring loyalty oaths. Tail Gunner Joe McCarthy, where are you?

Paula
Old 08-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
All this crap about a club supposedly about travel and camping. Sounds like to me the IBT has been taking cues from the politicians in this country. Frankly I don't want to be associated with either of them. I can blow my $55 on camping fees to some nice park or on a few gallons of diesel fuel...
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I find myself rather in agreement with 2-air-is-human. The WBCCI will find itself shrinking and shrinking. They ARE Neanderthal man and Homo Sapiens is already here. We didn't come to destroy Neanderthal, but that IS the inevitable upshot of the situation. Current science says that our species does not carry any Neanderthal DNA, but there's not a whole lot of Neanderthal DNA around to test, is there? Respect the earlier life form even though you know it's days are limited.

If you have a mind to join a local unit and "go camping" - do so. The politics? All fish flop around while they are dying.

I have been told that the IBT has boycotted Forum Rallies in the past even though they've been cordially invited. Why bypass an opportunity to "sell" the benefits of joining the WBCCI?

The evil part of me says, gee they do a great job of posting when and where their rallies will be.... what would happen if the FORUM folks just accidently showed up for a parallel rally in the same campground now and then? Would the universe collapse due to a rupture in the space-time continuum?

Or would a few people start looking over the fence and saying, Hm, a wine tasting? ...A pot luck where no one brings tuna casserole? ...What the hell IS hummas? No prayer meeting Sunday morning? What the heck is a polishing party? What the heck are Rivettes? Why are they having so much fun? Maybe no one would notice if I wandered over there for a few minutes. I can just see the sargent at arms posting perimeter guards and requiring loyalty oaths. Tail Gunner Joe McCarthy, where are you?

Paula
Hi Paula,

I'm gonna let you in on a secret.

There is lots of cross polination between WBCCI and Airforums rallies. Many do both.

I gotta say that your idea of a dual rally really cracks me up. They could be more alike than different. Depending on which Unit you camp next to.

Sadly the problem at the International level of the club is simple. Good people that don't realize that change is healthy.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
It works Carol WE JUST PROVED IT at Detroit-Metro Rally With everyone working together WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME.
Roger
Me too Roger! But guess just how many of us are WBCCI and even Metro Detroit unit members as well as Rivettes? We've been cross "bread" in the corn fields of Michigan and Ohio over pot luck for a while now. Our lines are pretty blurry and it just isn't because we like to drink together...or is it? We're very inclusive. We'll let in anybody... just bring beer. And instead of any Grievance Committees we have the Rudy Strike Team to take down our adversaries and we don't even have to take the time to hold a mock hearing before administering "justice. " It seems the numbers are increasing. The forum rallies and attendance outnumber the sanctioned club events. There are even former members who set aside the flags and the badges to just have fun and camp with the very same individuals but under a freer and equal venue. We all park together interspersed, motorhomes, old and new Airstreams perhaps even an SOB from local or afar, including Canada, without division, rank or intraclubs. Just imagine, a thing like that spreading. Who'd be left paying their dues (and homage) to the IBT's and volunteers' freebies and travel perks????

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #30
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
This thread is rapidly becoming the same as this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...for-44657.html
Which mean two threads about the same thing... starting to forget where I'm at...

Seems they should be on the WBCCI forums... where WBCCI folks can comment on it and maybe do something about it...

I find myself commenting on the innate unfairness of it all without knowing what "the other side has to say". Well now, that's inherently unfair, isn't it?

I'm back at thinking "the heck with it... gonna just put my AIR # in blue on my 'Stream." Blue's as good as red and without the political issues 'cause we ain't go no stinkin' rules & dress code! Besides, the forums has "forums ralley's", too.
IMHO
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #31
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I just learned that one unit is taking a stand on this issue.

They are withholding ALL 2009 WBCCI renewals and new
applications for the time being,
pending the outcome of the appeal before moving forward.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Point of clarification

I am missing something; I understand that Bob's letter stirred up the brown shirts at the IBT but I have not read about Leo. I realize he's at the heart of save wally but what official decree has come down on him?

I really get a kick out of these old timers thumping their chest and going for quality versus quantity. If the club is running in the red, how do they expect to balance the books by reducing the ranks?

One other question, do you have to be a WBCCI member to be in the VAC?

Regards,

D

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow View Post
I am missing something; I understand that Bob's letter stirred up the brown shirts at the IBT but I have not read about Leo. I realize he's at the heart of save wally but what official decree has come down on him?

I really get a kick out of these old timers thumping their chest and going for quality versus quantity. If the club is running in the red, how do they expect to balance the books by reducing the ranks?

One other question, do you have to be a WBCCI member to be in the VAC?

Regards,

D
Yes
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #34
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
...wouldn't camp with a WBCCI rally, if he accidentally pulled up on one in a campground...
i've never thought of putting it that way,

BUT the phrase does have a certain charm 2 it!

OFF with your HEAD!

OFF with ALL their heads!

all members b mals,

all units be malus!

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	offwiththeirheads.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	66345  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
65GT
TEXAS BARBECUE! YUM ! Sounds too good. The Ole travel budget it shot to H__l for this yr. Wish we could come. OPPS its a WBCCI RALLY. Sorry I lost my head there for a minute with all that food talk.
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #36
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

BUT the phrase does have a certain charm 2 it!

OFF with your HEAD!

all members b mals,

all units be malus!

cheers
2air'

Toooo Funny, you have toooo much time on your hands

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

OFF with your HEAD!

cheers
2air'
Gosh 2Air, you aren't THE mad hatter????

But come to think of it, all these many riddles and stories, until we become so insulted with the IBT that we leave, we could claim that this is the craziest assemblage we have ever been part of. I feel like we are getting so small, just the membership numbers.

Who accidentally knocks over the jury box as they stand in alarm? Who argues with the Kings and Queens over the ridiculous proceedings, eventually refusing to hold their tongue? The familiar shout "Off with their heads!" but they are is unafraid, calling them out as just a pack of cards.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
...and like most WBCCI negativism's, it's all made up, it's all in your head...

Maybe what you really need is to stop by Metro's Vineyard Rally next month. Wagon wheel parking, Texas Barbecue, smoked trailerside for 4+ hours. The vineyard tours, the wine tasting, the welcome baskets, the stargazing, the campfires, the drumming sessions. God (oops), sounds awful doesn't it?

__
Joined the Tidewater unit my first year as an Airstreamer. Nice people. Primary reason for dropping out was work. BUT they DID hold an hour church service on sunday morning, they DID have a fairly regimented meals, and when I invited one couple to see my CCD and offered them a glass of wine, why they acted like I'd just fed a baby to a shark! I don't know whether the whole club was "dry" at that point or whether they were primative Baptist or what. I was so put aback by their reaction that I actually quietly pulled up stakes and left a few hours early.

I imagine that even the Tidewater unit has loosened up as there were a couple of younger members there, and I've met several members from the New England and the D.C. units - and wow, talk about a night and day difference! I'll probably rejoin next year, but it will definitely be the DC unit.

Cross-fertilization IS already going on and will only increase over time. For most people change is painful and is to be avoided at all cost. For others, everything new is better. The truth is usually in the middle way.

BTW... random thought, Where in the heck did the expression "has a stick up his butt" come from and why does it indicate someone is uncompromising or immovable? (Oh snap... I literally just thought of an answer - Vlad the Impaler, i.e. historical Dracula). Well off to wikipedia to double check that.

Paula
Old 08-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Nah - it's much simpler than that.

Stick up the butt = unable to bend = inflexible, rigid

The one that has me puzzlin' to this day is the expression "It's blowin' like stink". Now where did THAT come from?
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #40
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
The one that has me puzzlin' to this day is the expression "It's blowin' like stink". Now where did THAT come from?
Don't know where it came from, probably out on the farm somewhere... and the stink coming from the same place as where the stick was stuck...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote