Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
If I remember right the grassy area was also 30 amp power. The three amp crowd was put on pavement. Maybe those other units got put there because of the 30 amp? In the past we (VAC) brought some associate members into the VAC area but the rest of the club did not
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #102
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
FWIW, we had the best spot in the park for vintage this year, grass and trees next to one of the lakes. Including a nearby pavilion for happy hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VAC_parking.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	564.3 KB
ID:	134324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy_hour.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	134325  

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
Oh, and has anyone ever seen ANYTHING in the Classic Airstream parking area other than a Classic Airstream? I don't think so...

__
How many were in the CAC section this year? Perhaps parked as a caravan. Several years ago I think there were only a handful somewhere between a dozen to at most 30 sites set aside for that purpose and not filled. I could be mistaken but I have never visited a CAC section even as a member. I know the CAC went for ice cream at Bozeman because I rode with a couple that invited me along but we went to the hotel on the wrong day. They were also in doggie section. I don't think CAC is like the VAC in numbers at all.

What are the VAC and CAC numbers?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Let try to get this correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
I'm still not sure I follow the logistics here. If a Vintage Airstream Club requires that you own a Vintage Airstream, then my guess is that vintage unit would have parking preferences for a whole number of reasons.

Ed -Vintage members with our without their vintage trailers with them have been allow to park in the Vintage area since Salem, they came in with the parade at the rear and parked in the rear of the group. In Bozeman the non-vintage trailers but vintage members were integrated into the VAC parking area as they came in. This decision was made by the VAC leadership to allow this type of parking.

There likely isn't air conditioning in many vintage rigs, so no/to little need for 30amp.

Ed- Not true Leo, many vintage trailers have AC, I have it in my 68 and 59 and would want to use it.(as an FYI my 54 will also have AC)

Leaving vintage rigs without 30amp and without A/C to bake on the pavement (regardless of any amperage) vs putting non-vintage rigs on the pavement just doesn't make sense.

Ed - As a 10 International VAC member I have parked on pavement, in gravel, in dirt, in grass, in a hay field and most of the time never had 30 amp and BAKED regardless of where I was parked. Also the photos of the Non-Vintage trailers taken at Madison were for the most part in a non-vintage designated area, I was on the edge of the vintage group. The guy next to me was parked in that area by the WBCCI and was told it was a non-vintage 30 amp parking area. If I am correct I bet there were not 5 of us VINTAGE CLUB MEMBERS (and most of us 10 + year members) parked in the vintage area with non vintage trialers, and remember with the blessing of the VAC leadership. Also remember I was almost the last one parked in Madison so the 30 AMP vs the 3 amp parking was the issue. Another thing, the grass was supposed to be used for 3 amp as well as 30 amp but the lower part was soaked and could not be parked on by he 3 amp VAC. This is why they were parked on the pavement, wish I had a dollar for every time that has happened to me at a rally.

Truthfully had I been VAC (which I was) and was camping on hot blacktop because a lot of MEMBER non-vintage rigs were on our typically designated grass slots, that would be the last year of my membership.

Ed - Well I'm sorry you feel that way, but I feel that maybe you need to grow a pair....... Again let me tell you how many times I have been on HOT blacktop with my vintage trailer.

You charge a premium for an intra-club, you have qualifications to be a FULL MEMBER and there better be a preference for those members and their vintage rigs in the process. Otherwise you can expect membership to plummet as a result.

Ed - So what you are saying after my almost 15 years of working in the WBCCI and and VAC I don't deserve to be treated as a Vintage Member, hell I own 3 vintage trailers. I won't bore you with the details why I choose the 88 for Madison but I needed to take it to that rally.

So what did VAC membership turn out to be by June 1st -- did it ever get much above what I think was a reported 250 membership level earlier in the year?

Oh, and has anyone ever seen ANYTHING in the Classic Airstream parking area other than a Classic Airstream? I don't think so...

__

One other note, the DC Unit was not the only ones parked on pavement, WI Unit, MO, MI, PA were all there too so again the DC unit (as Frank's wants you to think) was not singled out. As always you are parked as the way you come in.

Also, if someone has a problem with me, don't come by and take a photo of my trailer while I'm asleep, knock on the door and have the balls to ask me to move. Oh BTW ask Max, Jim and Don how that went in VT.....
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Any member of WBCCI may join the VAC whether or not they own a vintage trailer. That's how it is. That's the rule. All with an interest in Vintage Airstreams are welcome.

Some joined the VAC when they had a vintage unit and have maintained their interest and membership in the VAC after they traded to a new or newer Airstream.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #106
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
Also, if someone has a problem with me, don't come by and take a photo of my trailer while I'm asleep, knock on the door and have the balls to ask me to move. .....
I thought photos were allowed at International. I guess maybe you should have had a "Please no photos sign" out. Maybe a "photos for a quarter" sign. I had at the time no idea which trailer was yours. Now I know it was the 88. just two more years and it too will be vintage. You own an impressive assortments of truly vintage units. I would have loved to photograph one of those.
BTW, The date stamp on the photo was 8:04am. Morning light is an excellent time to take photos. It is a shame it was so gloomy that morning.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
In February or March before Madison, VAC was asked how many trailers were anticipated and how many would need 30 amp? They guessed we would have about 100 and 40% would want the 30 amp. Three days before the parade into Madison they were asked again. At on the caravan into Madison and the staging area we conducted a survey again. Only 20 wanted 30 amp. The area was already set up for 40 30 amp sites with the generator at the end. To completely use up the capacity of the generator, 20 sites were given over to general parking. They parked regular members in there the day before we got there. That left us 80 VAC sites but we had 110 members. 100 were at the staging area and came in as a convoy. I knew we would run out of sites and so I lined up early for the convoy. When we got to Madison, the first in the convoy were the first to park. I got parked on grass. When we ran out of sites on the VAC grass area the last in line ended up parking on the blacktop across from the VAC area. All the VAC events and happy hours were held in the grassy area. VAC leadership just guess wrong when they estimated the number of VAC members that would want 30 amp. It was not WBCCI leadership or parkers fault.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Not to be argumentative, but why did you have to guess, when members paid for 30A and stated that they wanted Vintage parking on their registration form? Isn't this information available from Jackson Center?

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
In February or March before Madison, VAC was asked how many trailers were anticipated and how many would need 30 amp? They guessed we would have about 100 and 40% would want the 30 amp. Three days before the parade into Madison they were asked again. At on the caravan into Madison and the staging area we conducted a survey again. Only 20 wanted 30 amp. The area was already set up for 40 30 amp sites with the generator at the end. To completely use up the capacity of the generator, 20 sites were given over to general parking. They parked regular members in there the day before we got there. That left us 80 VAC sites but we had 110 members. 100 were at the staging area and came in as a convoy. I knew we would run out of sites and so I lined up early for the convoy. When we got to Madison, the first in the convoy were the first to park. I got parked on grass. When we ran out of sites on the VAC grass area the last in line ended up parking on the blacktop across from the VAC area. All the VAC events and happy hours were held in the grassy area. VAC leadership just guess wrong when they estimated the number of VAC members that would want 30 amp. It was not WBCCI leadership or parkers fault.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #109
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
If I recall Tim K said there were about 500+ members in the VAC after deleting the ones that didn't renew.

There were 21 new members that signed up at the rally half were associates.

There were about 4-5 rigs that parked with us which were not vintage, but some of those members owned a vintage as well.

The daily happy hour was open to all members vintage or not, that is perhaps a way to for them to meet & greet, then join.

If I recall there is a PIP which is a VAC member.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #110
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
They parked regular members in there the day before we got there. That left us 80 VAC sites but we had 110 members. 100 were at the staging area and came in as a convoy. I knew we would run out of sites and so I lined up early for the convoy. When we got to Madison, the first in the convoy were the first to park. I got parked on grass. When we ran out of sites on the VAC grass area the last in line ended up parking on the blacktop across from the VAC area.
This was an excellent strategy.

Of the 14 that caravanned in our group only 2 are still members. One is committed to serving her term as an officer and the other is required to be a member to belong to Pennwoods. BTW, three of those non vintage rigs were not even slept in once. They were all in the 3 amp section of the gassy knoll.

Now how about this thread shift back to "live streaming at DuQuoin"
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
VAC leadership just guess wrong when they estimated the number of VAC members that would want 30 amp. It was not WBCCI leadership or parkers fault.
I don't think I completely agree with that.

There is a box on the registration form for "Vintage Parking" Since the registration forms are at Jackson Center they would have the Info on both how many wanted Vintage, and how many of those wanted 30 amp..
Possibly the VAC officers could or should have gotten that info from JC, but so could those planning the parking.
A rough count of the number of vintage trailers in the parade would not be available until the day prior to the parade except by the SWAG method.

Since the IP contracted (and paid) for 1200 spaces it would seem to me that it should not have been necessary to use the spaces in the vintage area prior to the arrival of the Vintage parade
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #112
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Or at least back to the hunt for Ms Red October, Old Ms Crotchety the trail is getting warmer... Run lady, run noooww.

BTW Aren't some who are parked not preregistered and just drive-ins? I have attended without preregistering each time.

The heads will roll theme this thread has taken is getting kind of old...

Whoooo did it?

photography
Old 07-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #113
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
it would seem to me that it should not have been necessary to use the spaces in the vintage area prior to the arrival of the Vintage parade
Rick the reason some of area adjoining vintage BUT not in vintage was used is the heavy rains prohibited parking in a large portion of the regular parking areas.

Vintage parking was not used for other members, in fact there were perhaps 30+ spots never used.

VAC parking was not encroached.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #114
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
The heads will roll theme this thread has taken is getting kind of old...
Especially since we are talking about something that happened at Madison years ago. I think there is some kind of statute of limitations. . .
Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #115
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
If I recall Tim K said there were about 500+ members in the VAC after deleting the ones that didn't renew.

There were 21 new members that signed up at the rally half were associates.

There were about 4-5 rigs that parked with us which were not vintage, but some of those members owned a vintage as well.

The daily happy hour was open to all members vintage or not, that is perhaps a way to for them to meet & greet, then join.

If I recall there is a PIP which is a VAC member.

Is the 500 regular and associate members of the VAC combined? What is the count for regular members? Anyone with the Classic Airstream Club count? And anyone ever learn how many are signed up for 2012 and how that compares to last year and others before?

And did I miss when the streaming simulcast will be released and archived online Bob?

photography
Old 07-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Rick the reason some of area adjoining vintage BUT not in vintage was used is the heavy rains prohibited parking in a large portion of the regular parking areas.

Vintage parking was not used for other members, in fact there were perhaps 30+ spots never used.

VAC parking was not encroached.

Bob,
My post was concerning the situation at Madison. I think you are referring to this year??
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Take all you want, but I have to ask.... WHY????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I thought photos were allowed at International. I guess maybe you should have had a "Please no photos sign" out. Maybe a "photos for a quarter" sign. I had at the time no idea which trailer was yours. Now I know it was the 88. just two more years and it too will be vintage. You own an impressive assortments of truly vintage units. I would have loved to photograph one of those.
BTW, The date stamp on the photo was 8:04am. Morning light is an excellent time to take photos. It is a shame it was so gloomy that morning.
Frank this is the USA and you can take any photo you want, I don't have a problem with that. Post it and without my permission and now it can get ugly. But being the NICE guy I am I'll let that go. If you think I believe you didn't know which was mine, well tell some kid that story, I again don't really care if you did or not. Its the idea that you got up, got dressed and took those photos of new trailers, why not walk 30 feet down the row and take your Vintage trailer photos? The reason, you want to BASH ( no pun intended) the VAC and the WBCCI. Hey why don't you post the photos you took of the poor Happy Hour food you took too?

Me I took photos of the capital, I took photos of the cool lakes in the area, I took photos of the vintage trailers, I took photos of my friends......

Hey, we get it, you had a bad time, you quit the club, you were pissed at what was offered to you and your family as entertainment, we get it. You have move on with TAC, I think that is cool, but STOP living in the past, this is just eating you up and that's not good. You are not a member of the WBCCI (as you and others have made this VERY clear to all of us) you (all of you) really have no dog in this fight move on and let us dues paying members work this out.

Thanks for the cool photo of my 88, I just wish you would have allowed me to get up and put my flags up, my site looks a bit unkept. BTW what ever time you took that photo, it was just a bad way to spend time on your vacation.......
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Ed,

Just a couple of comments,

Quote:
Frank this is the USA and you can take any photo you want, I don't have a problem with that. Post it and without my permission and now it can get ugly.
Ed, you know I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, but back when I actually was an editor for a while I had a course on this kind of thing. When you are involved in a public, or "newsworthy" event--like the WBCCI International Rally--you do not have an "expectation of privacy" and anyone can publish your photo without your permission. For example if you are a spectator in the stands at a sports event, you may find your picture in the paper. Or, suppose you are a bystander at an auto accident--same thing. So Frank can post a picture of your trailer without your permission.

Quote:
Hey, we get it, you had a bad time, you quit the club, you were pissed at what was offered to you and your family as entertainment, we get it. You have move on with TAC, I think that is cool, but STOP living in the past, this is just eating you up and that's not good.
Frank, I have to agree with Ed. You need to forget about real or imagined slights in the past and get on with your life. I know you're a good guy, and I really do wish you the best in making TAC a success--it would be great to have a viable alternative to WBCCI.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Ed,

When you are involved in a public, or "newsworthy" event--like the WBCCI International Rally--you do not have an "expectation of privacy" and anyone can publish your photo without your permission.

can you say "Stalker"??????????

I feel violated ................
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I think Frank got drawn into Buttercup's discussion by Tim's own request. That's the way it seems to me. The rest appears an unfortunate misunderstanding.

I could have added my registration stories also but I think we all get the idea. First impressions as well as how problems are addressed shade entire experiences. And now we all know a lot more than we used to about the parking. No harm no foul. I don't have a pair, is that a prerequisite? And they don't seem to be keeping one cooler either, with or without AC on pavement.

photography

Tags
duquoin, ibt, seminar, wbcci