Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 AM   #81
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
...usually the concourse judging is during the Open House, so I'm sure people didn't want to have additional mud caked on their trailers for that either....I know I wouldn't!

Knowing many of the VAC'rs in attendance, I'm sure they made the best out of a uncontrollable, less than ideal situation and had a great time regardless ~ sorry we missed it this year!

Shari
We did miss you guys this year. Hope that you will be able to attend next year.

The parade was not as large as other years, but it was a blast for Jan and I. We had no conflicting events and were in our first parade. This year we put the year of the Airstream on the side windows of the rigs and the folks on the route really liked knowing the age of each unit as it passed. Since we were part of the parade we did not get any pictures except for the ones getting ready to roll.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	134082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0148.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	134083  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
The VAC was supposed to meet in the Bull Pen on Saturday I believe. On Sunday we were to parade in to our section and set up for open house. But somehow wires got crossed and we were not allowed to stay in the bull pen. Instead, they just took the vintage units directly to the vintage area as they came in. I think they were afraid the VAC would take up all the space what with a bunch of caravans coming in. So, for that reason Dallas Peak asked everybody to participate in doing a parade anyway. It is true that we had torrential rains and the ground was slick but 12 people, including Kimber and I, joined in to put on a parade. It was actually quite fun and quick.

Speaking of the Bull Pen, I have a complaint that I will be bringing to whatever committee runs that show. It involves the crankiest and most crotchety person I have ever met. We arrived Friday evening at about 11:00 p.m. Saturday morning I had to give my presentation on the new club web site at 8:30. We were under the impression the VAC was still meeting and spending the day in the bull pen so we parked out of the way. 7:30 rolls around and the first knock at the door tells means that we will be checking in – we expected that. What happens next was that Mrs. Crotchity comes up after – she is the person running the bull pen. I explain that we were going to sit tight, do my presentation at 8:30 and come back to move to wherever the rest of the VAC folks are. She angrily turns to the pilot guy in a golf cart and says “These people think they are going to spend all day here! Who do they think they are? Now they are trying to tell me they are going to some meeting!” The tone was condescending and mean! Next thing I know, we are told to follow the golf cart by Mrs. Crotchity cause we ain’t staying there! Still in pijamas, we drive to our parking spot. The VAC parking was all the way at the other end of the fairgrounds – the farthest away from the main hall.

By 8:15 I was out the door running with my daughter to get to the meeting to make my presentation. On the way there – it was in the building right across from the bull pen, I see Mrs. Crotchity literally yelling at some guy about how he was doing something all wrong. I was really impressed that this person could be that mean and aggressive. I can see how any first timer coming to International would elect never to return after one experience with someone like that. It was the only negative experience of the entire International Rally that we had.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #83
Rivet Master

The sad part is:

"You only get "ONE" chance to make a first impression"

And we ask, Why is this club dying and nobody going to the International Rally?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

Come to the Birthday Bash, we have friendly parkers. They even take you around the park on a golf cart and let you pick your site...Obie
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
https://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Parking

As an FYI, we were treated VERY NICE when parked at Alumapalooza. After wanting to run Parkers over at the International a couple of times I almost didn't know how to park at a rally without getting yelled at first!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #86
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
We arrived Wed the 24th, only Richard was parked in vintage at that point.

The two of us had the place to ourselves under a big tree overlooking the lake, the VAC parking was the best spot on the grounds.

I guess we totaled about 50+, there were a few conflicts the morning of the parade, but it was the weather that held back a few.

We also had a great pavilion where the 4:00 PM happy hours went on each day, Jim C. brought a large barbecure which many used to cook on after the happy hour, Friday nite the VAC held a steak dinner for members.

Other nites there were good drawing for T-shirts, books and a cute ditty bag with commemorative glasses w/coasters designed by Kimber.

There were at times over 100 gathered, great time for all with about 21 new signups including many non vintage associate members joining the camaraderie.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #87
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Ditto on the Birthday Bash and Alumapalooza parkers. They really made us feel welcome and willing to help.

A pox on not nice people and those who assign them to tasks that involve other people.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #88
Rivet Master

ButterCup,, Your experience lends itself to our experience at 2005 Springfield when during the parade entry into the grounds we whacked a tree limb with one of our flagpoles. The limb trimmed our pole, snapping it so the US flag was draping over the front of our GT. Miss Crotchity Flag Protocol Lady hung onto our converitble's windshield pillar, since we had the top down, chastizing us that the US flag was lower than the others. Being in the parade at the time, there was nothing we could until we stopped. Just a rude, bent-up old self-appointed crabby old person.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
It was the only negative thing to happen at International (except the leak we discovered on our forward Air Conditioning unit). I have to say that we really had a great time. The VAC area was lively and active, the open house was very well attended - surprising considering the grounds were wet and the temperatures were hot & humid.
I did not intend my comment to be taken as a way to show how WBCCI International sucks just because of one experience with one person. Rather, I plan on using this as a way of educating the committees who interface with people that they are providing a customer service to the people arriving and in that capacity, they should remember just who the customer is. All other people I had the opportunity to deal with were polite and professional from the folks at registration to the happy little tram drivers.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 07-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Based on a past experience I suspect that Ms Crotchety is also a parker at the Florida State Rally
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
could be! I have her name but did not publish it here. However, I will be addressing the committee about it.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #92
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This is kind of funny to me. At Madison I had the pleasure of meeting miss crotchety verification lady. I had left my registration reciept at home. When I could not produce it I was yelled at (literally) that I "could not be verified". I looked at the ladies clip board and clearly it stated "Yensan, Frank and Beth, #7183 on it. Across the front of my trailer was 7183 in font twice the normal size. Down the side was this...
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030239.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	134289

She was so about to explode when I pointed this out to her. She threw my drivers license at me when I laid it on her clip board and walked away. I guess I was verified and welcomed at the same time.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #93
Rivet Master

Buttercup, Miss FLagpole Protocol antics didn't dampen our experience. 2005 was our 1st International, and we have gone to everyone since, with this year's exception. A planned long roadtrip with friends while using our other SOB RV was the reason.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Frank - any chance you remember her name? If so, would you PM it to me. If not her name, what she looks like?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
I was able to listen to only some of the meetings because of other committments and I am looking forward to the audio being posted. Some interesting issues!! For instance, I am sure I mis-heard some of the July 5th budget meeting. Sounded like the committee and the Blue Beret committee agreed that cancelling one issue of the BB and producing the Directory in magazine format would help balance the budget by saving $15K. Several people complained that the BB issue was too important to them to be missed, and one gentleman could not agree with the format change of the Directory because it would not fit in the door pocket of his van and he did not think he should have to pay to have it printed in a format suitable to him. Sounded like the meeting was put on hold while the Budget Committee found savings elsewhere to make up the difference. I am sure I heard it wrong. If not a very few people got the IBT to change the work of the Budget Committee with very little valid reason. So I await the audio posting so I can satisfy myself that I mis-heard.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I heard that they didn't want Halloween or Christmas Blue Beret cut because they were fun issues. Someone said once a year they get a combined periodical and directory as a special thicker edition of their usual. Someone wanted it all available online. I was not certain of the spiral copies that perhaps are distributed to the region presidents and for optional purchase. Frankly for what we pay for dues I think the BB and the index should be left alone it is the tangible benefit of membership for the average member. There is $2,000.00 budgeted as breakfast tickets for signing up early for the next International. Those promotional incentives for rallies was something I thought they said they could work towards reducing at a prior meeting. The number signed up was not available at the time of the question of how many had signed up for next year. Did they say only 16 campgrounds signed up to give discounts? They want to work on selling that for incresed revenue. I think they should at least give the campground free advertising in the directory and more will participate. I missed the first half hour, then they went to break and never fired up the recording, or lost power and announced we at home had missed 15 minutes, and then basically I figured I would have to wait for the whole thing any way and left early.

One part that interested me in particular was when it was suggested that the reembursement amounts be listed in the bluebook so that new members could know if they would like to pursue an office and also in an effort of transparency but that was discouraged with remarks that there was no problem with disclosing the amounts by the region presidents to someone that they would like to bring in but that a publication of the individual expenditures and allowances was not deemed necessary. That was SO disappointing to me and seemed to reflect the same attitudes that prohibit examination and openness, much as saying that info will be given on a need to know basis and if you have to ask then you don't need to know.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #97
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Frank - any chance you remember her name? If so, would you PM it to me. If not her name, what she looks like?
She has reddish short hair and glasses. She was so mad her veins were bulging. I was always kind and polite to her. I had no idea why she was so angry with me. This all came about minutes after the entire WDCU group was turned onto the pavement while numerous non vintage units were parked on the grass with the the VAC group. I was so stunned by this point I almost hooked back up and left. I was there a full half hour at that point. I still do not understand what the $400+ got me. Not even a pancake breakfast. Just some stupid ribbon that twice I was yelled at for not wearing correctly. I left 4 days early. The flag nazi person never came by which is a good thing, for after day one I would have inserted it where the sun did not shine.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:29 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Nice EARLY AM shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
numerous non vintage units were parked on the grass with the the VAC group. .
Thanks for the great shot of my 88! Too bad you had to get soooooo early to get that photo. It would have been better if you had waited until 6 AM to take it, my Flags would have been up!

Yes it was a nice grassy spot.......
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Me, I park with the every day people, but then I have to... being neither gold row quality nor vintage, just park me in the back in the pet section without my home unit or caravan, next to strangers, gasp. It's rather nice there too and for a completely different reason other than the fine location. There goes the neighborhood, just look at those Airstreams. tsk tsk I can't say I feel your angst guys. However the WBCCI does have a place for everyone and everyone is expected to be in their place, otherwise order is disrupted.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #100
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
Ed - Since when does the VAC allow non-vintage rigs to park in "Vintage Parking," especially when other vintage Airstreams have to be sent to alternative locations?
So far as I know--going back at least to Bozeman in 2008--anybody that wanted to park in the vintage section was allowed to. VAC has many associate members who tow newer trailers. And in some cases (like VAC past president Ed Emerick) VAC members own newer trailers in addition to a whole slew of vintage ones.

Everybody knows VAC has the best happy hours. . . and anybody at International who wants to attend is welcome.

The problem at Madison was that WBCCI was not allowed to use many of the grassy areas that they had been told they could use. That was the People's Republic of Madison's doing, not WBCCI.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duquoin, ibt, seminar, wbcci