Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
I was told 'Not to Join'???

Hello Streamers!! since I'm a Newbie and have been doing my due dilegence to learn all I can, I was prepared and looking forward to joining the WBCCI club. I guess, once again I'm a bit confused b/c I was told by a "person" (don't want to mention anyone's name/gender) who actually works for Airstream, not to join the club. This person said that I'm too young for the club and I wouldn't enjoy it. Well, maybe I should be flattered but, I'm not that young and this person has no clue what my interests are. I like to meet new people and travel. Can anyone please chime in with advise and experience with the club?
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Boy....loaded question! IMHO, I haven't joined because the organization seems to be going through a generational "re-birthing" process. That's pretty a pretty obscure way of saying, again IMO, WBBCI doesn't know what it is to become with a social transition between generations with VERY DIFFERENT norms.

I also haven't joined because I am also (relatively) "young" and really can't do rallys till I retire in 5 - 7 years.

Hopefully, WBCCI will "mellow" by then. I know I have some real estate above the AIRSTREAM logos for red #'s.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I am buy no means young but do not feel that I'm old either. I am a member and I have made a lot of new friends in the Denver Club. I think before you make a decision based on one individual's opinion you should attend one of the luncheons or attend an area rally. PM me if you want details on any upcomming Denver event.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join

If you are taking advice from an Airstream dealer, that would be a mistake.
Some very small number of dealers are actually Airstreamers but they are few and far between.
Being on the periphery, they hear all the bad stuff about (WBCCI) without ever personally experiencing all the good.
Some units are mostly older folks.
Some units are mostly young couples.
The Denver Colorado Unit was once a unit with members of all ages who really knew how to have fun.
I haven't rallied with them lately, but I'm sure it's still a great unit.
Go to a view rallies. Get to know folks. Make your own decision.
If in doubt, join the Four Corners Unit, an internet based, camping unit that focuses on going to interesting and beautiful destinations in the Four-Corners states of AZ, NM, CO, and UT.
Dealers may know about Airstreams. They often know little about Airstreaming
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Anna, in my own experience there is a wide range of club experiences out there. I've belonged to several units and some were a bit stuffy - others not. The club is evolving and some units are now full of younger, still working Airstreamers. I'd recommend contacting the DenCo unit and going to a few events.. see how you like it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I will tell you, the unit local to me has been reaching out in a very good way, relative to the issues at hand. Again, I think at the national level, there are some serious issues to resolve, but definitely check out your local chapter. Again, there is a social reinvention afoot.

Also, check out TAC.....I haven't, although I have inquired as a relative new comer to the party. They seem to fill the gap between the "old" WBCCI and...maybe what it will become?????

Some others chime in, I'm still trying to figger this out too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Of course you may not enjoy WBCCI, but it seems kind of silly not to even put your toe in the water to find out. Within the large membership, there will surely be several people who have some of the same interests you do, and some of the activities at rallies will be to your taste even if not all or even the majority.

So give it a try: the vintage people are particularly friendly and the common interest is restoring the oldies, but once you get to know folks, all kinds of interests come to light. I would be very surprised if you didn't find ANYthing of interest to you!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Depends on the unit, we have a bunch of kids running around our rallys.

The best thing to do is visit a local units rally and see for yourself, if the fit is wrong visit another.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Each unit (chapter) has its own personality based on the make up of that set of members and their desires for what they want to do together. For now. most of your activities will be with the local unit. Find one that fits you and enjoy it. When you retire or have the time, start to participate in the national events. You will have very little interface with the National leadership till then. By that time, they and you will have changed and your interests may have changed as well. For now, consider the International dues as the ticket which allows you to join and enjoy your new found local friends.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ahhhhh. dwightdi just happens to be the one trying really hard to to change the opinion of jerks like me. And, I do really appreciate the hard, passionate work. Maybe one of these days, not too far off Dwight.....

Old 02-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I consider myself fairly young. I have two middle school children (and a dog). My wife and I consider ourselves to be right in the middle of te Airsyream company demographic. Initially we were hesitant to join our local unit (Georgia) after reading a bunch of posts here (I am NOT casting stones with these words). A couple of the folks in leadership of the unit encouraged us to give it a try and make our own decision. I am very glad we did! We met a great group of folks and have had a lot of fun. I encourage you to try it and make up your own mind.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #12

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
DenCO and 4CU are both good units from what I understand. I felt that the club might not be for me but am going to check out the Kansas City unit this spring before I make up my mind, they have been very nice reaching out to me. Give it a shot, what's $65 bucks? It might be money well spent and if you don't like it you don't have to renew.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Thank you all. For sure, I will try the local Denver group. Thanks to Aerowood who has already sent me info. Very kind of you!! Just an FYI-the "person" who discouraged me wasn't an Airstream dealer but, an actual employee of Airstream. Yikes!! Thanks for another great Forum discussion. I love the Forum!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
At my ripe old age of 36, I've been a member for 6-7 years now and wouldn't consider dropping it. We do a couple unit rallies each year; no one gets to all of them. We have a great time. In our unit, the age ranges from around our age up to the late 80s...

You have to find a unit that fits you.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Soooooo, is this thread kind of a grass roots "we want a new thing, nuttun' fancy, just regular folk, kind of renewal of WBCCI thing? That'd be nice. And really naive (sp) I'm afraid. Crap! Cynical again!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
Country Comfort Farm

1996 34' Excella
Andersonville , Georgia
My wife and I are in our 70s and retired. You are obviously not either. The Units activities reflect the local membership and leadership. The Georgia Unit has monthly activities reflecting the fact that their 350+ members range in age and free time. Your investment in WBCCI membership is not very large. The benefits received from associating with good people can be very large. We are WBCCI members and enjoy our experiences with non-members as well.
ccfbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfbb View Post
My wife and I are in our 70s and retired. You are obviously not either. The Units activities reflect the local membership and leadership. The Georgia Unit has monthly activities reflecting the fact that their 350+ members range in age and free time. Your investment in WBCCI membership is not very large. The benefits received from associating with good people can be very large. We are WBCCI members and enjoy our experiences with non-members as well.
I appreciate that. And I do understand that locals are still viable. I was, perhaps, spoiled by the bickering at the national level. I also appreciate the efforts of the local folks. I just wish I could jump into an organization that wasn't like my work, my government....etc. I jump in the AS to get away from all that. Can't you local officers grab the national folk by the ear and twist till it hurts?

Old 02-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Get in touch with the local unit. I can't imagine they would not let you attend a rally or 2 as a guest. That may answer your question. Another factor is if you want to participate in WBCCI caravans.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #19

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
My husband and I are entering our 5th year of membership in the OR Unit. We became members long before our vintage AS was road-worthy and have loved every minute! You should most definitely attend a breakfast, luncheon or rally.
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Another loud voice for look at units in your area and make a judgment after seeing them operate. Some are awful, some are great.. The National HQ team of "Senior Leaders" does seem kind of out of touch, but you won't experience that unless you decide to go to an International Rally over the 4th fo July, and you should absolutely work up to that carefully..

Another thought regarding Dealer messaging is that some units have great relations with local Dealers, and some are very unhappy, and spread unpleasant stories about poor service, overcharging, mistreatment etc.. Usually the Dealers figure that out and then work to isolate prospective customers from those units... May not be true in your case, but it has happened..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote