Old 02-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
When we looked at the cost of going to an event, site rentals, member fees, rally fees. Then compared it to staying in the same RV park, it was less expensive to go as a private party when compared to the club fees.
Ed Zachary !
A major reason for selecting the AS (or any of the other RVs for that matter) is to be able to prepare the food that we like ...when we want it ... not be subjected to what the masses prefer.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
As this is a three year old thread I am curious as to what the OP decided to do. To join or not to join?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #115
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
A major reason for selecting the AS (or any of the other RVs for that matter) is to be able to prepare the food that we like ...when we want it ... not be subjected to what the masses prefer.
On the other hand, I don't have family to go camping with. And none of my (former) co-workers were into RVing. If I didn't belong to some sort of RV club, nearly all of my trips would be solo.

While I like getting away from it all as much as the next person, if I wanted to be alone I'd just stay home. So you could say that WBCCI keeps me from being a hermit.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Each of us decides what we will do based on how we see the costs and benefits. When we had our mpg we attended one national rally and one state rally. Since we've had our Foretravel we've not attended any rallies, but that's due more to our schedules and finances than anything else. I fully expect that we will attend one sometime, but for now we'll have to pass.

Should we buy an Airstream we'll probably join and see what the club is all about.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:36 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I am not someone who can write from experience (yet) but reading thru this thread reminds me of two stories, one from my Dad... and one from Garrison Keiler...
Dad's was told around a campfire during my youth in Boy Scouts, in which twin brothers moved to a new town. While walking down the street one brother saw an old man on his porch, rocking in his chair.
"Hey, Old Man", said the boy, "what kind of people are in this town?"
"What kind of people were in the town where you used to live?", replied the Old Man.
"Oh, they were really nice and fun, and always ready to help you out!", replied the boy.
"Well", said the OM, "that's the kind of people that live HERE too!"
Along came the second twin an hour later:
"Hey, Old Man...", said second brother, "What kind of people are in this town?"
"What kind of people were in the town where you used to live?", replied the Old Man.
"Oh... they were grumpy and hard to get along with," said the boy.

From Garrison's series of "Lake Wobegon"....in a story to a boy from his Mother,... "Life is what you make it. Go out. Look around. Live.... because LIfe is what you make it."

I have yet to know much about WBCCI,... but it might be a bit like the airplane type club to which we belong... Mysterious and reclusive.... Until we mixed in, met people, and participated with their activities.... and Then... we found our "Real Family" ...an Extended Family of Dear Friends and fellow travelers through Life...

Life Is What You Make It.

Kind Regards,

Curious George (Soon to retire AS Noobie in the Texas Hill Country)
Old 03-30-2015, 05:14 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahorn View Post
I am not someone who can write from experience (yet) but reading thru this thread reminds me of two stories, one from my Dad... and one from Garrison Keiler...
Dad's was told around a campfire during my youth in Boy Scouts, in which twin brothers moved to a new town. While walking down the street one brother saw an old man on his porch, rocking in his chair.
"Hey, Old Man", said the boy, "what kind of people are in this town?"
"Oh, they were really nice and fun, and always ready to help you out!", replied the boy.
Along came the second twin an hour later:
"Hey, Old Man...", said second brother, "What kind of people are in this town?"
"Oh... they were grumpy and hard to get along with," said the boy.

From Garrison's series of "Lake Wobegon"....in a story to a boy from his Mother,... "Life is what you make it. Go out. Look around. Live.... because LIfe is what you make it."

I have yet to know much about WBCCI,... but it might be a bit like the airplane type club to which we belong... Mysterious and reclusive.... Until we mixed in, met people, and participated with their activities.... and Then... we found our "Real Family" ...an Extended Family of Dear Friends and fellow travelers through Life...

Life Is What You Make It.

Kind Regards,

Curious George (Soon to retire AS Noobie in the Texas Hill Country)

This is true...... I used this story last night in discussing interactions with some folks. And I just returned from a rally, many are WBCCI members and those of us who are enjoy it. And if we want to use Wally's creed of improvement as a reason for change, this can only be done from the inside as a member.

WBCCI will be changing some things. Many of the old methods of doing business do not work in today's world, and change to more efficient fiscal policy's is the path to survival. Hopefully for those of us who want to hang around the Airstream community, attend events and have those big red numbers on our trailer, the changes will come before self destruction occurs as it has in some similar organizations.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:33 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Ms Lauer,
WHAT in the world are you doing up this hour? (I awoke at 3AM and couldn't sleep so made the mistake of turning on the laptop...) :LOL:

I had only just finished that posting and then decided to check on Mr. Keillor's last name spelling...found I'd mis-spelled it... came back to "edit" my post... and YOU have responded and thereby locked me out from editing my own post.... YOU have exposed me as a PORE SPELR!

(Apologies to Mr. Keillor) :embarrassed:
Old 03-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Funny

I have wondered why I cannot edit some of my posts......LOL

As to up at 4:30 AM....why not...more LOL? I go to bed early, occasionally get up or grab the iPad to see what is going on, and you know the rest....

Spelling....the real deal is to be surprised how the auto correct can alter what I wanted to say in such a way that I cannot even remember...the original idea....

What is the topic of this thread???
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

_ , Florida
I've read a several pages of this thread, but not all of it. I'll give a younger guy's perspective of the WBCCI club. Heck, I've already alienated myself from Corporate Airstream by insulting them because of their lack of customer service so why not give my opinion here.

My family used to be part of the WBCCI back in the early 80's when I was a kid, but when I bought my Airstream I was given info on the WBCCI and I checked out the website and saw a bunch of old folks in blue berets with tons of rules and I decided that I wanted no part of that.

I was already part of a great club, which was my brother and friend both had an Airstream and we got together as much as we could. We didn't have to worry if having a beer at 10am would insult some blue beret wearing old folk. Even though I was in my early 30's when I bought my Airstream I had been in the Marine Corps for about 10 years and I worked very hard and partied very hard too. The last thing I need is some blue beret wearing person to tell me I can't have a drink or someone I can't relate to.

In the last couple of weeks I've talked to some good folks who are part of the WBBCI and looking to get some younger folks into the club. As long as the blue beret wearing members who take themselves too seriously or try to relive their past as executives are part of the club I will never join.

To me Airstreaming is being around friends and people who don't judge, are friendly, and want to enjoy life. So far I have found the Airstreamer's who aren't part of WBBCI are more welcoming than those who are. Until WBBCI changes their attitude I will not be a part of the club. I don't have time for that drama.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Well.....me and my wife (along the 3 small kids) are young, WBCCI members, and really enjoy the club. Perhaps our unit is the exception, but something tells me that's not the case. I wasn't going to respond, but I would hate to say nothing in case others see your post and shy away. It may not be for you (and there is nothing wrong with that), but how does the saying go.....don't knock it till you try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
We joined the 4 Corners Unit and thereby the WBCCI. What a great group of folks with Airstreams. We have met members from 6 months old to 80's.

We have not seen any blue berets or blazers, didn't get any rules, we enjoy a cocktail, have fantastic nightly fires and no one tells us what to do except lots of good repair info (for our vintage) for happy trailering.

In this case...don't knock it till you try it.

Go Army. ;o) ;o)

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #124
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Hilarious - "To me Airstreaming is being around friends and people who don't judge....." written out of sight of any mirrors
Old 03-30-2015, 06:22 PM   #125
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMarine View Post
In the last couple of weeks I've talked to some good folks who are part of the WBBCI and looking to get some younger folks into the club. As long as the blue beret wearing members who take themselves too seriously or try to relive their past as executives are part of the club I will never join.

To me Airstreaming is being around friends and people who don't judge, are friendly, and want to enjoy life. So far I have found the Airstreamer's who aren't part of WBBCI are more welcoming than those who are. Until WBBCI changes their attitude I will not be a part of the club. I don't have time for that drama.
I've been a member of WBCCI for as long as I've owned an Airstream. I see more drama here on the AirForums every single day than I see at any WBCCI meeting. Most of the WBCCI rallies I attend don't even include club business; they're just monthly gatherings of friends who all just happen to belong to WBCCI.

Your post was full of "blue beret wearing members this" and "blue beret wearing members that" and if you think that wearing a blue beret makes me some kind of martinet who will tell you how to have fun, then I'll oblige you and tell you how to have fun— somewhere far away so that judgmental hypocrites like you don't spoil my fun!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMarine View Post
...snip....

(1) To me Airstreaming is being around friends and people who don't judge, are friendly, and want to enjoy life.

(2) So far I have found the Airstreamer's who aren't part of WBBCI are more welcoming than those who are.

(3) Until WBBCI changes their attitude I will not be a part of the club.

(4) I don't have time for that drama.

Hi there - first, thanks very much for your service in the Marines.

I shaved down your post quite a bit here and numbered your sentences to address a few things.

(1) - couldn't agree more.

(2) - well obviously the problem is you haven't met me :-) (or anyone in the NEU, or perhaps hundreds - maybe thousands of other WBCCI members who'd likely welcome you with wide open arms). Besides - now really - how many members/non-members have you met recently? The 80s were 40 years ago and if you were a kid then, maybe you owe it to yourself to look with fresher, adult eyes?

(3) I don't know what attitude you're seeing and in what context. I'm a WBCCI member but I tend to think of myself as a New England Unit member mostly because that's 99.9% of my experience with the club. The attitude there is exceedingly laid back, fun loving, colored by an adult beverage or 7 or 8 from time to time and some of the most genuinely decent folks on the planet. As former (and late) Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill always said, "all politics are local." No need for you to join anything that's not appealing to you - but maybe the best way to assess is to spend more time with locals and see what you think.

(4). Can't blame you. Life is too short for BS. My experience has been drama-free. That's all I know about it. See your statement #1 above.

If you're ever in the New England area, look us up: http://newengland.wbcci.net

You'd be welcome any time I'm sure.