Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2015, 01:07 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
In rereading the OP, I note the age thing....OK, so some members could be my grandchildren.....but must I remind you, I sold my Suzuki Hayabusa at age 67. LOL

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:24 AM   #102
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
In rereading the OP, I note the age thing....OK, so some members could be my grandchildren.....but must I remind you, I sold my Suzuki Hayabusa at age 67. LOL

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871

Age is just a number.

Some younger folks feel old, some older folks feel young.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #103
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Age is just a number.
With regard to WBCCI membership, age isn't just a number, because the lower the number, the more likely the member is to still have a boss— other than the missus— who dictates when he can or cannot take off from work to attend WBCCI events.

I joined WBCCI three years ago, while I was still working. I never was able to take off enough time at the right time of year to make any of the caravans, not even the Cajun Caravan that is closest to me. I only made one Region rally for my region in three years, and even then I was forced to arrive a day late and leave a day early. In fact, until I retired I was never able to attend every day of any WBCCI rally, and I had to miss a lot of rallies entirely due to work. I was never able to make an International Rally or a Midwinter IBT until I retired, either.

Nevertheless I stayed a member for those three work years, knowing that once I retired and I owned my own schedule, I'd be able to take full advantage of my WBCCI membership. The membership isn't all that expensive, and at the very least I was able to get to know a lot of great people while waiting for the day that I retired, so now I get to go and have fun with people I already know, instead of just going and having fun with strangers as would be the case if I waited until retirement to join.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #104
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Protag, just referring to one's mindset, not work set. Some folks are able to work and play at the same time, for a long time. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
We were members for years, but have ceased. An interesting organization, but we retired at 58/55 and we were just too young for it. Different interests and abilities I guess. However, we will be back. When I am 70. I think that is a good time for the kinds of activities they do.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You were in the wrong unit. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
I'm with Hank ... not sure if we will re-up or not.
We have met some very nice folks but there are simply not many AS owners / members around this part of the country. So; events are usually quite distant.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Our unit's current president is intentionally trying to meet the needs of working campers. Many in the unit are in their 40s/50s, still working and enjoying the hell out of however many weekends we can hang out together. There's a short caravan planned this fall that I can't join but it's a total of about 10 days and would make an awesome vacation. I'm very happy with the NEU. There is an air of yesterday's organizational process across the whole WBCCI to me but I really don't see much of it - I just experience it though my local unit and that experience is just good fun camping. Hope everyone finds whatever they're looking for. Get out and camp however you do it :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mesa , Arizona
not many people in Montana.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
We dropped our membership.
Schedule being reason one.
Events were poorly organized. At least the few we attended.
When we looked at the cost of going to an event, site rentals, member fees, rally fees. Then compared it to staying in the same RV park, it was less expensive to go as a private party when compared to the club fees.
At least with Good Sam you get some discount on spaces, fuel costs and parts at CW.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:43 PM   #111

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Events were poorly organized. At least the few we attended.
The answer to that isn't quitting. It's becoming a Unit officer and organizing the events the way you want them organized. Set a good example for those that follow because you've already had bad examples.
Quote:
When we looked at the cost of going to an event, site rentals, member fees, rally fees. Then compared it to staying in the same RV park, it was less expensive to go as a private party when compared to the club fees.
Of course it's cheaper that way. I go camping by myself about half the time, too. But when I do, I'm not with a bunch of friends, unlike a rally where I already know many if not all of the other attendees. Sometimes I want to be sociable; sometimes I don't. Luckily I can have it both ways. I don't have to quit WBCCI to go camping by myself from time to time.

But your complaint may also be tied in to "poorly organized." In my Unit, rally fees consist of just splitting the cost of communal meals equally among all attendees except the cooks— cooks eat free because they did all the work. That's only fair, and the cost is not onerous for those of us who didn't cook. We all pay our own site fees, and we each use any discount that applies to us: Good Sam, Passport America, whatever.

As for membership fees, WBCCI still only charges $65 per year, plus Unit fees of maybe $10. Yes, that's more expensive than the Good Sam membership fee of $25 per year. But look at it this way: If you belong to WBCCI and attend ONE region- or international-level rally per year, you'll pay a lot less than if you belong to Good Sam and attend just one Good Sam rally per year. And the more WBCCI rallies you attend versus Good Sam rallies, the bigger the savings. Good Sam makes their profit off the event fees, not off the membership fees. WBCCI gains most of its working capital off the membership fees, not the event fees.
Quote:
At least with Good Sam you get some discount on spaces, fuel costs and parts at CW.
You can belong to Good Sam and get the discounts whether you belong to WBCCI or not. It's not an either/or proposition.

If you organize WBCCI rallies at parks that offer Good Sam discounts, you can use that discount for an Airstream rally. And Airstream rallies are still a lot cheaper than Good Sam Rallies. For example… the WBCCI Mardi Gras Rally was held right next to the Good Sam Mardi Gras Rally the last few years through 2014. Same amenities, pretty much the same events, but the Airstream rally was just a quarter of the cost of the Good Sam rally. WBCCI only has to cover expenses; they don't have to make a profit the way Good Sam does.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #112
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When we bought our Airstream, WBCCI was in a bad state of losing members and having continual conflict over what way the organization was going to go. It seems things have settled down and there are new people running it now.

But by now we are used to traveling ourselves and if we want to go to a rally, there are independent ones organized through the Forum if we want to go to a rally. From time to time there are WBCCI rallies open to anyone and we have gone to a few of those, most notably the Balloon Fiesta. We have met friends through those and keep in touch with them when possible.

If we were buying a trailer now, we might join the WBCCI to try it out, but there are plenty of opportunities to meet people through the Forum and that works fine for us. Before we owned a trailer we traveled throughout the US (including Alaska, northern Canada, Newfoundland) Canada ourselves. We like being able to choose what we want to do, where we want to stop for a while once we discover something we like and rest for a day when we are tired. A caravan would not be our type of traveling. Works for us. But for some, being thousands of miles from home when something breaks, a caravan could be a great help. We have met people with broken trailer suspensions and busted trucks far from home and in distant places who had to fend for themselves. I had to fix a tire 100 miles from a service station in Alaska once and was glad to have a tire repair kit and a compressor. Bringing lots of tools gives us some feeling of security.

Several years ago there were a lot of complaints about WBCCI dues being too high, but they seem reasonable compared to other nonprofits. Dues aren't stopping us, it is just that it is not necessary for us.

Maybe the day will come when we are too old to travel far and rallies will be more important to us. Then if we join the WBCCI we (actually me, not my young wife) will raise the average age of members.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Ed Zachary !
A major reason for selecting the AS (or any of the other RVs for that matter) is to be able to prepare the food that we like ...when we want it ... not be subjected to what the masses prefer.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
As this is a three year old thread I am curious as to what the OP decided to do. To join or not to join?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:03 AM   #115

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
A major reason for selecting the AS (or any of the other RVs for that matter) is to be able to prepare the food that we like ...when we want it ... not be subjected to what the masses prefer.
On the other hand, I don't have family to go camping with. And none of my (former) co-workers were into RVing. If I didn't belong to some sort of RV club, nearly all of my trips would be solo.

While I like getting away from it all as much as the next person, if I wanted to be alone I'd just stay home. So you could say that WBCCI keeps me from being a hermit.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Each of us decides what we will do based on how we see the costs and benefits. When we had our mpg we attended one national rally and one state rally. Since we've had our Foretravel we've not attended any rallies, but that's due more to our schedules and finances than anything else. I fully expect that we will attend one sometime, but for now we'll have to pass.

Should we buy an Airstream we'll probably join and see what the club is all about.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:36 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I am not someone who can write from experience (yet) but reading thru this thread reminds me of two stories, one from my Dad... and one from Garrison Keiler...
Dad's was told around a campfire during my youth in Boy Scouts, in which twin brothers moved to a new town. While walking down the street one brother saw an old man on his porch, rocking in his chair.
"Hey, Old Man", said the boy, "what kind of people are in this town?"
"What kind of people were in the town where you used to live?", replied the Old Man.
"Oh, they were really nice and fun, and always ready to help you out!", replied the boy.
"Well", said the OM, "that's the kind of people that live HERE too!"
Along came the second twin an hour later:
"Hey, Old Man...", said second brother, "What kind of people are in this town?"
"What kind of people were in the town where you used to live?", replied the Old Man.
"Oh... they were grumpy and hard to get along with," said the boy.

From Garrison's series of "Lake Wobegon"....in a story to a boy from his Mother,... "Life is what you make it. Go out. Look around. Live.... because LIfe is what you make it."

I have yet to know much about WBCCI,... but it might be a bit like the airplane type club to which we belong... Mysterious and reclusive.... Until we mixed in, met people, and participated with their activities.... and Then... we found our "Real Family" ...an Extended Family of Dear Friends and fellow travelers through Life...

Life Is What You Make It.

Kind Regards,

Curious George (Soon to retire AS Noobie in the Texas Hill Country)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:14 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahorn View Post
I am not someone who can write from experience (yet) but reading thru this thread reminds me of two stories, one from my Dad... and one from Garrison Keiler...
Dad's was told around a campfire during my youth in Boy Scouts, in which twin brothers moved to a new town. While walking down the street one brother saw an old man on his porch, rocking in his chair.
"Hey, Old Man", said the boy, "what kind of people are in this town?"
"Oh, they were really nice and fun, and always ready to help you out!", replied the boy.
Along came the second twin an hour later:
"Hey, Old Man...", said second brother, "What kind of people are in this town?"
"Oh... they were grumpy and hard to get along with," said the boy.

From Garrison's series of "Lake Wobegon"....in a story to a boy from his Mother,... "Life is what you make it. Go out. Look around. Live.... because LIfe is what you make it."

I have yet to know much about WBCCI,... but it might be a bit like the airplane type club to which we belong... Mysterious and reclusive.... Until we mixed in, met people, and participated with their activities.... and Then... we found our "Real Family" ...an Extended Family of Dear Friends and fellow travelers through Life...

Life Is What You Make It.

Kind Regards,

Curious George (Soon to retire AS Noobie in the Texas Hill Country)

This is true...... I used this story last night in discussing interactions with some folks. And I just returned from a rally, many are WBCCI members and those of us who are enjoy it. And if we want to use Wally's creed of improvement as a reason for change, this can only be done from the inside as a member.

WBCCI will be changing some things. Many of the old methods of doing business do not work in today's world, and change to more efficient fiscal policy's is the path to survival. Hopefully for those of us who want to hang around the Airstream community, attend events and have those big red numbers on our trailer, the changes will come before self destruction occurs as it has in some similar organizations.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 03-30-2015, 04:33 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Ms Lauer,
WHAT in the world are you doing up this hour? (I awoke at 3AM and couldn't sleep so made the mistake of turning on the laptop...) :LOL:

I had only just finished that posting and then decided to check on Mr. Keillor's last name spelling...found I'd mis-spelled it... came back to "edit" my post... and YOU have responded and thereby locked me out from editing my own post.... YOU have exposed me as a PORE SPELR!

(Apologies to Mr. Keillor) :embarrassed:
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:38 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Funny

I have wondered why I cannot edit some of my posts......LOL

As to up at 4:30 AM....why not...more LOL? I go to bed early, occasionally get up or grab the iPad to see what is going on, and you know the rest....

Spelling....the real deal is to be surprised how the auto correct can alter what I wanted to say in such a way that I cannot even remember...the original idea....

What is the topic of this thread???
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com