Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Soooooo, is this thread kind of a grass roots "we want a new thing, nuttun' fancy, just regular folk, kind of renewal of WBCCI thing? That'd be nice. And really naive (sp) I'm afraid. Crap! Cynical again!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
Country Comfort Farm

1996 34' Excella
Andersonville , Georgia
My wife and I are in our 70s and retired. You are obviously not either. The Units activities reflect the local membership and leadership. The Georgia Unit has monthly activities reflecting the fact that their 350+ members range in age and free time. Your investment in WBCCI membership is not very large. The benefits received from associating with good people can be very large. We are WBCCI members and enjoy our experiences with non-members as well.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfbb View Post
My wife and I are in our 70s and retired. You are obviously not either. The Units activities reflect the local membership and leadership. The Georgia Unit has monthly activities reflecting the fact that their 350+ members range in age and free time. Your investment in WBCCI membership is not very large. The benefits received from associating with good people can be very large. We are WBCCI members and enjoy our experiences with non-members as well.
I appreciate that. And I do understand that locals are still viable. I was, perhaps, spoiled by the bickering at the national level. I also appreciate the efforts of the local folks. I just wish I could jump into an organization that wasn't like my work, my government....etc. I jump in the AS to get away from all that. Can't you local officers grab the national folk by the ear and twist till it hurts?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Get in touch with the local unit. I can't imagine they would not let you attend a rally or 2 as a guest. That may answer your question. Another factor is if you want to participate in WBCCI caravans.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
My husband and I are entering our 5th year of membership in the OR Unit. We became members long before our vintage AS was road-worthy and have loved every minute! You should most definitely attend a breakfast, luncheon or rally.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Another loud voice for look at units in your area and make a judgment after seeing them operate. Some are awful, some are great.. The National HQ team of "Senior Leaders" does seem kind of out of touch, but you won't experience that unless you decide to go to an International Rally over the 4th fo July, and you should absolutely work up to that carefully..

Another thought regarding Dealer messaging is that some units have great relations with local Dealers, and some are very unhappy, and spread unpleasant stories about poor service, overcharging, mistreatment etc.. Usually the Dealers figure that out and then work to isolate prospective customers from those units... May not be true in your case, but it has happened..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I hear y'll and I'll give it due thought. No dealer has turned me...all I heard was on many threads here , in fact.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I can't help but agree with the majority here that you might want to try a WBCCI Unit before you nix the idea. We didn't think we were right for the club when we got our AS, but we were invited to a rally by the 4CU ... we went ...had a great time ... we were welcomed with open arms.... and found a great mix of ages, people and interests.... and at the end of that rally we joined up. The rest is history. Now I am the membership chair, so I guess that says something! I have found that very few folks who give our unit a try walk away from it...there's just something about sharing with fellow fun Airstreamers, all with a shared enthusiasm and sense of community, no matter who we are... You need to decide for yourself. We'd love to have you check the 4CU out and experience it for yourself! The DenCO Unit is another great bunch of campers, many of whom are Affiliate members of the 4CU...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
The Denco Unit is really a lot of fun and the people are very friendly. You may want to contact them and ask for the last year's newsletters to get a feel for the activities.

We weren't sure we'd like it before we joined either. We changed our minds quickly.

Good luck and safe travels.

Ron
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I do appreciate it! Wow, this is the warmest conversation in my experience here, on the forum. DW is a teacher, so most all our travels are June - August for the next few years, but I'll ask what's going on at our destinations. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I belong to both TAC AND WBCCI.. In both groups the age range is from about 40 to 80. The members are from all walks of life. Ther e is something unique about each group.
There is also a group of us that belong to both WBCCI and TAC and some don't belong to either, but we are ALL Airstreamers. dznf0g and Dwightd you might want to give us a try. Watch the Meat and Fire posting in Pecatonica.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Is the Meat and Fire a TAC function? 'Cause dwightd is already all about the WBCCI.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Hey TBRich...totally agree with you re: 4CU. Met some pretty awesome members at the Baker City Rally last summer. Headed thru Denver this summer on our Chic Roadtrip to Alumapalooza (two AS, four women from the OR Unit...all leaving our hubby's at home :0)
Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
2005 25' International CCD
Corvallis , Oregon
We weren't planning on joining the club, but happened to sell some old wheels to someone in the Oregon Unit. We delivered them to the buyer at a rally they were having near our town and were introduced to people there. There was a wide range of ages and everyone was friendly and welcoming, so we took the plunge. Last year we went to four of the club's rallies and loved each one of them! Definitely give your local club a try. You will probably be pleasantly surprised.