Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Dwightdi I think your reply provided many good ideas and suggestions for units to try out.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #142
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Apparent View Post
The Northern Illinois Unit of the WBCCI has been transitioning from a traditional unit to a more casual, less structured unit. Many of our rallies are being held in state parks or Army Corps of Engineers Parks with no rally fee. We are having pot luck meals and less structured activities.
I invite all Airstream owners, including those who are not WBCCI members, to join us at one of our rallies to take a "test drive". See the Airforums calendar for our rallies.

We are using electronic communications with our members including Airforums, Facebook, Constant Contact, etc.

Organizations are either growing by re-inventing themselves or slowly dying. We have had many new members join in the last several years bringing new blood into the unit. We welcome and want younger members to join our unit to help us become a truly cross generational unit. We are looking to do things differently and not the same old way. We look forward to new members helping us to become the premier Airstream unit in the Midwest. I would like to see the Northern Illinois Unit become the 4 Corners Unit of the Midwest.

The WBCCI isn't for everybody. But don't judge it solely on the past. I didn't like how things were done in the past as well. I have noticed that the WBCCI is changing even at the national leadership level. I am considered a rebel by some. I am a baby boomer and I am president of the Northern Illinois Unit this year. My wife and I are still working for a living. I am having minimal business meetings. My goal is to maximize our fun using our Airstream.

Don't judge an organization solely on internet threads. Take a "test drive" and then judge for yourself. If you are interested in creating a great unit, come join us.

As the politicians would say "I am President of this unit and I approve of this message".
very well stated and exactly where this should be going....congrats.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #143
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Dwightdi:

Well stated.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #144
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Fidalgo Island , Washington
Being new, the independent type and not much of a "joiner", it was with trepidation that I stepped out and went to my first WBCCI Oregon rally last month. What I found were warm and welcoming like-minded people who made an effort to include me, a newcomer.

It was a diverse crowd, what we had in common were our Airstreams, pets and common interests in traveling and camping and plain old having fun.

Some drank beer (like me), some drank wine (most of them) and a some of them didn't drink at all (nobody cared). Some were old, some were young, all seemed pretty chill and happy to be there camping out in their shiny rigs.

During the day we went our separate ways, reuniting for dinner. Perfect for me.

The Oregon club seems to be a popular, growing, thriving club who seems to be making an extraordinary effort to be accessible to new Airstreamers like me.

Like I said, I went with some trepidation, but I left feeling happy and looking forward to a time when I could do that again and hopefully bring my husband next time (he had to work).

Seeing a park filled with lots of different kinds of cool Airstreams and warm congenial people was a real treat for me.

I went there knowing I'd look like an idiot backing that thing in by myself, I was afraid people would be watching, judging etc, the reality couldn't have been farther than that. It was all about support and encouragement and empathy for my backing-up newness.

My advice is don't knock it till you try it, you might be pleasantly surprised inspite of yourself (like me).

In summary, glad I went.
Oregon Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #145
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar View Post
Maybe you don't realize it, but you come off as having a fairly large sized ego yourself....
I don't agree. I think he was simply stating his case and that was it.

Threads about the WBCCI often say old people have made the club old fashioned, militaristic and a group of fuddie duddies making for dullness while they wait to die. As an old person, I hope I'm not any of those things and know plenty of old people who enjoy life to the fullest, do not live in the past and are suspicious of authority. We do fall asleep earlier than we used to (but every week we try to make it to the end of Saturday Night Live; sometimes we succeed).

It is attitude, not age.

Although we do not need to go to rallies, the ones we have gone to were fine. They were all Four Corners Unit rallies. We went to the balloon fiesta 3 times and enjoyed it, but it got too big (200 Airstreams) and we'd seen enough balloons for a while.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Curious, did the OP ever make a decision one way or the other?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #147
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Welcome to the Oregon unit Oregon MS, we have a great group of people who welcome everyone into our Aluminum Family. Hopefully we will meet down the road at a Rally soon.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:28 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I was told 'Not to Join'???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Curious, did the OP ever make a decision one way or the other?

Post #66 suggests a nice luncheon and a desire to join. No updates since then and no posts from OP since June 2013...

On edit - I see her profile has a WBCCI number with Denver - so she must just be touring the world and we haven't heard since :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #149
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
I've been lurking on this thread for a while and come back for updates. We are young (30s) newbies full-timing in our Airstream. We looked at joining WBCCI to obtain the same numbers as DH's grandmother to continue the tradition.

I must admit, I haven't seen too many pleasant things said about the current state of the "club". However, a lot of the recent posts have inspired me to finally join and see if we can be part of the change. My biggest concerns have been being "forced" to attend/contribute and others' views being forced upon us. I actually was fearful we would be kicked out if we weren't active enough. The latest kerfuffle was the cross on the front of the Blue Beret magazine. I'm not going down that road but the amount of comments that led to on a Facebook post just seemed way more dramatic than I was looking for.

However, I have seen awesome things about the Four Corners unit specifically as well as one in Oregon (something northwest?) and I feel those may be more up our alley. I think we'll just be MAL for now and see where we fit. Maybe we end up so involved in the change or maybe we just live on the outskirts continuing our own family tradition. Inquiring today to see if our number is still available.

I'm restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by the stars again. -Anais Nin
tifspiff9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
For the massive sum of one whole dollar you can be a member of the Southeastern Camping Unit. You can participate in all club activities with any units or not at your discretion. Participation in all activities is optional to include the politics of the club. I left my former state unit because of the heavy emphasis on politics and religion. I found just the atmosphere I was looking for with the SECU. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1428346980.102291.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  103.4 KB

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #151
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
We attended the balloon festival in 2012 &2013. Went to the taco meal put on by the rally sponsors. Joined the crowd going in, got set down, said hi to the fellow next to me. He said are you a member of the "xyz"club, I said no. He said then why in the he// are you setting here. Hmm didn't realize there was a seating order and didn't realize we had gotten mixed in with a group.
Oh well we enjoyed meal and left it with them.
Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:57 AM   #152
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory View Post
We attended the balloon festival in 2012 &2013. Went to the taco meal put on by the rally sponsors. Joined the crowd going in, got set down, said hi to the fellow next to me. He said are you a member of the "xyz"club, I said no. He said then why in the he// are you setting here. Hmm didn't realize there was a seating order and didn't realize we had gotten mixed in with a group.
Oh well we enjoyed meal and left it with them.
Hickory
Hickory,

It is regrettable you encountered such a butt head at the rally, and I apologize for his rude behavior. It is obvious you are a better man than him.

I can assure you that whomever he was, he does not speak for the club, and he is an exception, not the rule.

Hope you will give us another chance sometime soon.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:15 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Mean sprited individuals

If I encounter a mean sprited person, it is their problem not mine, unless I want to somehow engage. The vast majority of jerks have no friends, are often using alcohol, and are miserable people.

For me the easiest thing to do is simply remove myself from any further interaction.

For sure, these, buttheads do not represent the group as a whole.

Be well
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #154
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
If I encounter a mean sprited person, it is their problem not mine, unless I want to somehow engage. The vast majority of jerks have no friends, are often using alcohol, and are miserable people.

For me the easiest thing to do is simply remove myself from any further interaction.

For sure, these, buttheads do not represent the group as a whole.

Be well
In my best Slingblade voice, "I like the way you talk".

G

PS...as a side note, great job with the photos at Alumalina and nice meeting you there!
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #155
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
A Perfect Blend

This picture was taken at Alumalina just a couple weeks ago.

57 rigs, about 125 people.

33 of the 57 are WBCCI members....over half.

The remaining 24 are close friends.

In the picture is:

a Region President,

A Region VP,

A unit President,

Various other Unit officers from up and down the East coast,

and a lot of happy campers.

Can you spot any unhappy campers?

All one, big, very happy family.

You do not need to join the Club to have this kind of fun.....but why not?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aumalina Spring 2015.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	235880  
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
MsMoto
I wish I knew how to "like" your post about getting beyond the mean spirited person we might encounter in life. Well stated!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:46 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
I was told 'Not to Join'???

I just do not have enough time to engage myself in concern over the potholes in the road. Mainly I try to avoid them. Most folks who have negative attitudes are fear driven, insecure, and unhappy. The only way they will change is if they are willing to seek out help, admitting they are out of control.

Hope this does not get anyone too excited....

Oh, if you want to see more Alumalina photos, hare is a link
https://flickr.com/photos/72826370@N...57651597466675

Lots of happy campers....LOL

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:02 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Life is as good as you will let it be ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:32 AM   #159

1977 Argosy 20
southlake , Texas
live and let live
pathfinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:46 AM   #160
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Remember if someone has a problem with you, it's their problem, not yours. Peace, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote