Old 12-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member
2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
extendable poles from Loews

could you please advise me how you attached your flags to the paint roller style aluminum pole? Greatly apprecited....thanks

Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #44
Rivet Master
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I drilled holes through the top of the pole and 3' down where the bottom of the flag will line up (this is for a 3'x5' flag, measurements will vary for other sizes of flags), and then used zip ties through the holes and through a set of small carabiners (one carabiner in each hole). Then the carabiners can clip onto the grommets for the flags.

There are other ways, that's just how I did it. Good luck!

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member
2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
Flag Poles and the Pole Ease Flag Pole Holder

Rich Walbridge of the Cape Cod Unit showed me a nice way to secure the bottom end of my flags. Lowe's has washers that are just a bit larger than my 1" flag poles. Drill a small hole in the washer and put the loop end of a spring through the hole. The other end attaches to the grommet on the flag. Pull the washer down until the spring is about twice its resting size and the washer holds tight on the pole. When you want to take the flags down, release the washer and wrap the flag around the pole. The washers are special "electrical" washers and the springs need to be somewhat hefty to work well. The 1" poles fit the 5 pole holder nicely. Pole Ease supplies a plastic sleeve for the wire to the electric jack. Cut the plastic sleeve in half and lead the wire over (rather than under) the U-bolts used to hold the flag pole holder to the jack tube. If you have 5 flags, you will need to use some sort of a stand-off so that the middle flag clears the motor and its light. That's why I have 4 flags; I leave the middle slot empty. Do that and the flag poles clear the motor and its light without a problem. Measure the diameter of your jack tube carefully. Mine is 2.175 inches in diameter. You may need to use 2.25 inch diameter U-bolts; don't try to stretch 2 inch U-bolts. Pole Ease does not supply the U-bolts.

Dick & Claire
Dick and Claire Wiklund
North Falmouth, Massachusetts
"Judgement is based on experience and experience is based on poor judgement"
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member
2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
Five Flag Setup

I spent some time at Loews with a hardware guy who took quite a bit of time with me in trying to devise a method of attachment. I brought in the pole ease five flag bracket along with a flag and carried over one of the aluminum 12' extendable painter poles that I am using. I find that really helps in getting assistance when they can actually see what the heck you are attempting to do. I ended up with stainless steel 1/4 eye bolts with locknuts and then a small carabiner for going thru the eye bolt and the flag grommet for each of my five flags. To get the approx 1 inch diameter pole bases into the holes in the bracket required that I remove the hard plastic handles on each pole which was a bit of chore and required a dremel tool. I also discovered that two of the holes in the five pole bracket do not line up properly and so will need to do some grinding once again with the dremel tool. All in all I figure I saved only a marginal amount of money doing all this myself versus just buying the poles outright from pole ease but what the heck. I also bought a length of white plastic pipe and end caps to put the poles in for traveling. After all this time and expense it should be a decent setup. Will get to try it all out at the next rally. In another followup post I will attach pictures. Thanks for your reply.

Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote