Old 11-26-2005, 12:09 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Jimmy,
Here comes the rain on your parade those brackets are for the smaller hand held flags....

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Thats funny . I had no idea big poles were required. My parade and all 5 of my flags have skriveled and beome droopy.

I will keep looking for BIG flag pole holes and a proper sence of my own humility.

Is 1 inch good ?

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 12:49 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Flag holder

It dawned on me that the 3/8 inch hole would be unorthidox because a large flag attached to it would be too much, but would it be possible to replace a thicker wooden stick with a 3/8 inch piece of aluminum rod or stainless and attach your flags to them instead. The 3/8 bracket is thick cast aluminum and the angles would be sufficient if the rods were long enough. Might even look less over powering unless appearing large and overpowering is part of the appeal.

Of course one of my lessons in bible study as a kid was to "...not involve yourself in things you do not understand". I admit, I am not much of a flag person. Maybe I am all wet...as suggested earlier.

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:53 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJames
Of course one of my lessons in bible study as a kid was to "...not involve yourself in things you do not understand".
If I did that I wouldn't be involved in much at all!

Our unit is pushing to get everyone displaying flags. I have to admit, it would probably look pretty cool at a rally to have all those trailers together with flags flapping in the breeze.

I wondered...Flag etiquette says you have to take your flag down at sunset or shine a light on it all night. So do people take their flags down at night? I wouldn't want to offend someone by improperly displaying a flag.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
.....I wondered...Flag etiquette says you have to take your flag down at sunset or shine a light on it all night. So do people take their flags down at night? I wouldn't want to offend someone by improperly displaying a flag.
There's a fairly simple and inexpensive solution that has become quite popular in these parts. All you need is an outdoor work box, (weather proof box that you might install an outdoor outlet in), a landscape light fixture, and a couple of u-bolts. mount the box to the tounge jack with the u-bolts, and then attach the landscape light to the outside, and point it up. (these fixtures are the sort that are typically mounted knee high along a walkway, and have a shade that keeps the light pointing down, so as to illuminate the path, without blinding the pedestrian at night) You can get electricity into the box off the tounge jack's supply.
they cast just the right amount of light, straight up onto the flags, and the shade keeps anyone standing nearby from getting blinded by the glare off the bulb. looks really cool.

I don't have the setup myself, as I've yet to spring for the 3-flag setup. But I think our new "Jungmeister", Yukionna, has one on her rig. perhaps we can get her to post a pic.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 02:45 PM   #20
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
well, I tried to edit to add a pic of the type of light fixture I was talking about, and the "administrator" informs me that we only have 15 minutes to edit posts.

ok...

anyway, here's a pic of the type of light I'm talking about:

can't insert this pic, but here's a link to a page at lowes.com.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...LT9&lpage=none
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
well, I tried to edit to add a pic of the type of light fixture I was talking about, and the "administrator" informs me that we only have 15 minutes to edit posts.

ok...

anyway, here's a pic of the type of light I'm talking about:

can't insert this pic, but here's a link to a page at lowes.com.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...LT9&lpage=none
Leon has made me a flag light for my non existent 5 flag pole bracket. I'll get it out of the barn and take a couple of pictures of it. We are planning on creating an instruction sheet for building it for folks in our Unit, once I get this done I'll post it here too.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Here is a picture of a five flag holder I purchased from Rod at C & G in Bellflower, CA.

Bill
Rod from C&G is checking to see if he has any left for me. He believes he has a 6 place flag bracket in stock. I wonder how many rules I'd be breaking if I flew 6 flags......

Old 01-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The only thing with some of the low voltage landscape lights is they aren't bright enough to light the flag at the top of the pole.

I thought I had that all figured out this summer at International, I had a halogen-type light fixture that was really bright, compact & heavy duty. It worked great, only two problems...first, it got hot and killed bunches of bugs, which then burn up, smoke & stink! Second, it got hot and on a particularly dewey night (which we don't have in Colorado) it busted the glass lense into a million pieces.

So, I've gone back to taking my flags down until I come up with a different low-tech, affordable solution.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
The only thing with some of the low voltage landscape lights is they aren't bright enough to light the flag at the top of the pole.

I thought I had that all figured out this summer at International, I had a halogen-type light fixture that was really bright, compact & heavy duty. It worked great, only two problems...first, it got hot and killed bunches of bugs, which then burn up, smoke & stink! Second, it got hot and on a particularly dewey night (which we don't have in Colorado) it busted the glass lense into a million pieces.

So, I've gone back to taking my flags down until I come up with a different low-tech, affordable solution.

Shari
Leon informs me that we are not using a landscape light, it's a low voltage mini floodlight so it's plenty bright enough. Will get down to the barn sometime this week so that folks can see our setup. It's the same thing other members of our unit are using, without the exploding bug thing.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Talking Good news! I've ordered a 5 pole flag bracket

Thanks to "wkerfoot" for the tip here on the forums I've placed an order with the very nice folks at C&G Trailer Services in CA for 3 5 place flag pole brackets. I believe I wiped out their inventory.

The folks at C&G told me these brackets are new "old stock". They purchased them from Airstream back in the 1970s when Airstream was selling off all their "vintage" parts to their dealers.

Why do you need three? (I'm sure you are all asking). One for my 93 Excella, another for my Argosy (that I do not own yet, have not found the right one) and the last one I will be donating to the WBCCI New England Unit to be included in the Region 1 "Alumination Celebration" Rally raffle.

Thanks again "wkerfoot"!

Old 01-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Thanks to "wkerfoot" for the tip here on the forums I've placed an order with the very nice folks at C&G Trailer Services in CA for 3 5 place flag pole brackets. I believe I wiped out their inventory.

The folks at C&G told me these brackets are new "old stock". They purchased them from Airstream back in the 1970s when Airstream was selling off all their "vintage" parts to their dealers.

Why do you need three? (I'm sure you are all asking). One for my 93 Excella, another for my Argosy (that I do not own yet, have not found the right one) and the last one I will be donating to the WBCCI New England Unit to be included in the Region 1 "Alumination Celebration" Rally raffle.

Thanks again "wkerfoot"!
Michelle & Leon,

Your are welcome, glad that I could be of assistance. I found out about this flag holder from the owner of a SilverStreak at the 2004 American Truck Historical Society annual convention at the California Speedway in Fontana.

Since you have cleaned out their stock, I better not buy another trailer.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Question What are you doing for flag poles?

If you are not buying your flag poles from Polease what are you doing? I saw 12', 1" diameter aluminum poles at Home Depot that you twisted in the middle to extend from 6' to 12'. The end is threaded just like what you would put a paint roller on. Has anyone used this type of pole to make their own flag poles, they cost around $15 each. What did you use for the top? any pictures? How did you attach the flag? again pictures are helpful. I'm willing to do this but would appreciate some guidance on parts, mods, etc. What do you do to stop the flag pole from sliding down inside the holder? What did you do to stop the flag from getting twisted at the top?

myboyburt, how about those pictures of the light? You are using a small flood not a spot, would a spot give you a more direct light on the flags? Maybe not for 5 flags but how about 3 flags?

Chuck, are you talking about the lights that our friend from Charter Oak makes? Does he still do that? I need to contact him if he does, could you please p.m. me his info if you have it.

Thanks
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CAPECOD
If you are not buying your flag poles from Polease what are you doing? I saw 12', 1" diameter aluminum poles at Home Depot that you twisted in the middle to extend from 6' to 12'. The end is threaded just like what you would put a paint roller on. Has anyone used this type of pole to make their own flag poles, they cost around $15 each. What did you use for the top? any pictures? How did you attach the flag? again pictures are helpful. I'm willing to do this but would appreciate some guidance on parts, mods, etc. What do you do to stop the flag pole from sliding down inside the holder? What did you do to stop the flag from getting twisted at the top?

myboyburt, how about those pictures of the light? You are using a small flood not a spot, would a spot give you a more direct light on the flags? Maybe not for 5 flags but how about 3 flags?

Chuck, are you talking about the lights that our friend from Charter Oak makes? Does he still do that? I need to contact him if he does, could you please p.m. me his info if you have it.

Thanks
Sorry M&MCapecod, I missed this post!

We made our flag poles out of 12' telescoping paint roller extensions (from Lowes). Work great!

Our single spotlight does the trick for all 5 flags. If you'd like I'll ask Leon to make you one (he is making one for Titu&Gail too).

Picture of our 5 place flag holder on our camper below - could not be happier with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SintoC_1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	21341