Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I have resigned as WMNHU President and ALL Other Duties as ASSIGNED!

Sorry guys but sometimes you just have to pull the plug.

I read my last and final needling from the Region One up and coming people who think the rules, and parlimentry proceedures are what is making the club run.

It hit my last nerve and I will not be renewing my membership with WMNHU and I will become a very happy and content MAL-Content.

I will be sitting back for a bit. Resting from the beatings and look at the creation of something new and different.

Sometimes in organizational structure you have to let it die then see what can be rebuilt from the ashes.

Robin
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
It is their loss!

I could not believe the savage rhetoric that was shown on this forum as well as at the rally's by these same people. I am sure you will be missed as most or these folks like to harrass, but don't really like to do the work.

I have been a member for about ten years now and am about ready to throw in the towel as well. I have been running two web sites for the clubs and region at my own expense and I don't see people stepping foreward to take on these duties. The older folks are worn out and the younger ones just like to critisize.

When you can't get the smallest change in the club when it is dieing, then it will die and for my part, I no longer need it.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
and look at the creation of something new and different.
Sorry to hear you let the bas*** wear you down.

Most often the rules they cite are only in their own minds. This is becoming a known problem which means it is more likely to be properly addressed, - sometime - but, in the meantime, we have to survive.

One way is around these types is to know more about the actual rules than they do. It can be fun to watch when they get hoisted on their own ignorance if you are a sadist because they often don't educate easily. Most of us would rather find more pleasant ways to handle the situation, though.

I know of two fairly successful 'fix the rules problems' groups working within the WBCCI structure. If you are serious about looking at "the creation of something new and different" they should provide ideas for you. Let me know (via pm or email) if you are really interested in constructive revolution and I might be able to provide some links to resources and ideas to help.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
I'm Glad I Have Not Sent My $70 Bucks - If It Isn't Fun, I'm Not Going To Do It. Oh - Yea To Gladis - I Can Make My Own Deviled Eggs
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
I'm saddened to hear this news

This is a huge loss for the White Mountains NH Unit and all of Region 1.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
cyber unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Sorry guys but sometimes you just have to pull the plug.

I read my last and final needling from the Region One up and coming people who think the rules, and parlimentry proceedures are what is making the club run.

It hit my last nerve and I will not be renewing my membership with WMNHU and I will become a very happy and content MAL-Content.

I will be sitting back for a bit. Resting from the beatings and look at the creation of something new and different.

Sometimes in organizational structure you have to let it die then see what can be rebuilt from the ashes.

Robin
While you are resting, you might enjoy reading some of the posts in the thread that Janet had started;

WBCCI cyber unit?
I have been mulling over the "What makes a unit a good unit" issue and have a couple of thoughts....

A good unit has regular communication, rallies, member participation, diversity, encourages new folks to join and carries out the mission of the parent organization. it's members have voice and vote and feel valued.

Some of us belong to those kinds of units - some don't. Many of us live hundreds of miles form a WBCCI unit - and while we belong - we do not participate in the regular business of the organization - we can't - it's too far to drive. Many belong to the WBCCI as "at large members" and have no unit affiliation AND no voice or vote - yet pay dues.

So... how about a Cyber unit? Forums members are already acting as a WBCCI unit. we plan and hold rallies, we meet regularly (online), heck we vote on polls! We work out our differences, we (many of us) are willing to support the forums with cash...

Why not start a WBCCi unit? it could be a venue to give those 'at large" members a voice. We are already a cohesive community. We have the technology to hold online meetings and there is established practice for doing so. I beong to another organization that has online meetings and balloting - it's fairly effective.

If the current model of the WBCCI is not flexible enough for our new population, let's expand it. Don't throw it away - just tweak it a little. There is room for both traditional units and non-traditional units. Many already belong to more than one unit anyway....

just one little small step into cyber space......
KE5CKG on 2 meters
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
A while back (as the Gunner), I was debating some of the rhetoric that I felt was getting out of hand and was chastised by Janet for doing so. I did not see she or any other Moderator make any attempt to quiet the rhetoric that was rampant at the time. I don't see how a cyber club will be any different. Those same folks will still be there. It is the problem America is facing these days in all aspects of life. There is a lack of decorum and respect for one another's opinions. A new cyber group won't make any difference until folks wake up and tell some folks to hold it down or shut up and go away. I for one am going away.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
This is a huge loss for the White Mountains NH Unit and all of Region 1.
I second that
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Once again thank you all for the kind words. I will still be active and you WILL SEE me at Rally's I will be running Rallies. I just won't be affliated with a Unit. myboyburt we WILL be doing the Winter RIg or Rent and we WILL be doing the October Great Pumpkin Harvest Moon thing. Being a MAL-Content just means I won't be opening up my e-mail box in fear-being horrified by the guard quoting RRO and Palimentry procedure.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Once again thank you all for the kind words. I will still be active and you WILL SEE me at Rally's I will be running Rallies. I just won't be affliated with a Unit. myboyburt we WILL be doing the Winter RIg or Rent and we WILL be doing the October Great Pumpkin Harvest Moon thing. Being a MAL-Content just means I won't be opening up my e-mail box in fear-being horrified by the guard quoting RRO and Palimentry procedure.
That's at least some good news. Leon and I have a blast hanging out with you and Mr. rgesch at rallies. And the Winter Rig or Rent is a personal favorite of mine.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
tell me if I am wrong, but if the main thrust of Airstream owners getting together is to camp as a group and fellowship with each other, why do you need a club at all? It was one thing when their was no internet or email, and information had to be distributed to keep things going, but why now? Organize a rally, tell people about it...show up, have fun. No agenda.
If you want something bigger and more organized, it will no doubt turn into a mass of opinions at every turn. Thought some will always want the "pomp and circumstance"
So am I nuts or just stepping out of reality??
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
tell me if I am wrong, but if the main thrust of Airstream owners getting together is to camp as a group and fellowship with each other, why do you need a club at all? It was one thing when their was no internet or email, and information had to be distributed to keep things going, but why now? Organize a rally, tell people about it...show up, have fun. No agenda.
If you want something bigger and more organized, it will no doubt turn into a mass of opinions at every turn. Thought some will always want the "pomp and circumstance"
So am I nuts or just stepping out of reality??
why, its so you can get a good group-buy on hats, of course.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Definitely WMNHU's loss. We totally understand though, and we're glad to hear you'll still be hangin' out with your WBCCI friends as a MAL!

-D&J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Just because I'm a MAL-Content doesn't mean I won't be active!

Don't think for a moment ANYONE is going to get me down. Just watch me do my thing and be the most active MAL-Content you ever saw!

The winter Rig and Rent will be the first Rally held by a MAL-Content! Just as the other person said no rules, no fuss, no muss, March as previously planned Danforth Bay. Anyone invited. You Just notify the Campground Your Coming.

That's the big misconception here, that you can't be an active member of WBCCI unless you belong to a UNIT WRONG!!!!!

The only thing they limited MALs from is the politics. Well I can certainly live without That! and I plan too.

Region One will see it's first MAL-Content Margaritta Madness Fiesta as planned!

Look out KIDDO's the MAL-Contents are on the loose...anyone else want into my happy camper club of mal contents?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
tell me if I am wrong, but if the main thrust of Airstream owners getting together is to camp as a group and fellowship with each other, why do you need a club at all?
This is the question that has a very good answer but that answer does not seem to be well understood. Some in these forums do not accept the answer from experience and history and want to learn it all over again the hard way. A really good understanding of the answer requires experience with large groups and small, well run groups, and badly run groups, and paying attention to what makes for desired long term results.

The fact is that when people want to do things together, anarchy has its limits. The efforts of those who volunteer and participate and get things done is made more rewarding and more efficient if there is an infrastructure to assist it, guide it, and set expectations and norms.

WBCCI has nothing on the books that discourages informal and ad hoc fraternization - in fact fraternization is an objective of the organization. But if you are looking at being able to communicate and share that activity, spread the load, address liability and financial and regulatory and tax issues, and on, then organization is needed. Pretending these don't exist will only take you so far.

Quote:
The only thing they limited MALs from is the politics.
This is confusing politics with governance and they are two entirely separate concepts.

MAL's only select to not be a part of the governance of WBCCI.

There is no way anyone in any group is going to be able to avoid politics. Any time you have more than one person working towards a common effort you will have politics. How you deal with politics is pretty much up to you. You can join the fray and encourage others to see it your way or you can float with the parade and pretend it doesn't matter where it leads, or you can drop out and find another group more to your interests. But to pretend you can avoid an inherent part of working with other people is not going to help you find your best options.

There are problems to be solved and things to be fixed. Where I worry is because I know where 'in your face' and 'up yours' and confrontational behavior leads and I see a lot of this destructive behavior, some in jest but some does not appear to be so. It creates resistance and makes finding effective solutions harder and more difficult to achieve.

Active responsibility is significant part of civility. Any participant in a group has a responsibility to understand the implications of their views, to listen and learn, to know what it is they are getting into, and to share with others for the strength of the community. Ripping and shredding when you don't know what you are tearing apart or don't understand the consequences is not usually a good idea.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I respectfully disagree

Unfortunately the governace has made the politics unbearable. bring out the worst in people.

This is confusing politics with governance and they are two entirely separate concepts.

MAL's only select to not be a part of the governance of WBCCI. True

There is no way anyone in any group is going to be able to avoid politics. Any time you have more than one person working towards a common effort you will have politics. How you deal with politics is pretty much up to you. You can join the fray and encourage others to see it your way or you can float with the parade and pretend it doesn't matter where it leads, or you can drop out and find another group more to your interests. But to pretend you can avoid an inherent part of working with other people is not going to help you find your best options.

I don't believe there is NO WAY ANYONE can avoid politics. If you are not trying to govern your gathering and good time. There goes the politics.

We have family reunions each year. A date is set, a place is picked it's a pot luck event and we get together and have fun. This year is the 52.

young members want to camp, have fun. If it's kept simple perhaps it could be more sucessful.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #17
_

. , .
hi rgesch, leipper and others.....

many might think and post.....
'so sorry to read of your resignation...the unit is losing....blah, blah, blah..'

my thoughts.....
hey, congrats on making a fun change, i'm a mal too! lets go camping!

leipper's distinction is subtle but spot on....
governance and politics are distinct...
but it is short sighted to assume mals cannot affect governance....
or give up participation in governance....
the smarter we mals get the more influential we become!

politics happens every time 2 or more members talk.......
happens at your family reunions too......but it's subtle....

anyway, mals can't vote and are treated poorly and don't have a formal voice but that doesn't mean we cannot impact governance......u don't need examples...

rgeasch......
at local unit functions and local rallies and so on....
your voice, example and will still have impact....
at the big winter rally or international....well that takes work.

i'd still like to see 'at large' folks have voting rights,
but i can live with out it...
can the wb live with out rgeasch, myself and others who own and enjoy airstreams?

for many wb folks one trip a year defines camping, membership and the airstream life.......many others of us are out there often, have a voice, express ourselfs in many media.......
and have far greater impact as airstreamers.......
than a whole can of dried wb'ers.....

cheers and congrats again, on the membership upgrade!

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
I enjoy reading all the the replys to problems campers have and the advice that others have had and are willing to help out.I don't belong to any clubs or units,When I go camping I meet a lot of execellent people at different camp grounds.We keep in touch by phone or email . No rules or requirements..Don't have to put up with members trying to be gods.I just go where ever and have a good time meeting people or sight seeing what I want to see..so just go and have a good time and leave the squbles behind.WE HAVE ENOUGH at work,don't need any while camping..
Have a great summer of camping and travelling..
bobchevy89
bobchevy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
". . .congrats again, on the membership upgrade!"~2air
". . .have a good time and leave the squbles behind.WE HAVE ENOUGH at work,don't need any while camping..Have a great summer of camping and travelling..bobchevy89 ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
"but it is short sighted to assume mals cannot affect governance...."

This is one of the primary reasons to keep politics and governance distinct - to be able to recognize this influence and its sources. It is by politics - the relationships between people engaged in a common activity - that people learn how others feel and think. Whether by MAL's or the public at large (and their influence was seen quite heavily in the name change advocates' arguments), those that directly influence governance are influenced themselves.

Quote:
anyway, mals can't vote and are treated poorly and don't have a formal voice but that doesn't mean we cannot impact governance
MAL's are not the only ones treated poorly. Voting members can suffer poor treatment I know from direct experience (and from what started this thread). Staffing volunteers can suffer poor treatment (e.g. your story) I know from direct observation. WBCCI seems to be non discriminatory when it comes to "treating poorly."

I do not think segregating oneself into a victimized group is a good idea. We are all in this together. It is good to see things discussed but we need to better define "treating poorly" and find effective means to fix what ails, even if it is that the definition itself is a major part of the problem.

IMHO it is not an institutional problem but rather one where a bit of appropriate feedback is needed. The problem as I see it is that the kind of feedback needed is not the sort that people feel comfortable giving. So we get evasions, sidetracks, denial, and some other behaviors that really don't help.