Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2006, 09:41 AM   #81
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
The other thing my husband and I were talking about was how restrictive our camping has become. Because we were active members of this Unit we were told our Rallies should stay in a geographic area so other members could attend. Well again I joined the Club to travel. I was very impressed by the NEU Caravan to PA Amish Country.
Hi Robin,

You will be more than welcome to have your first caravan to Nova Scotia .August or September are ideal times .

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:33 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
You will be more than welcome to have your first caravan to Nova Scotia .August or September are ideal times .
Not trying to hijack the thread , but where a bouts are you located ? We are planning to be up in Cape Breton the first two weeks in August.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:04 PM   #83
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
Not trying to hijack the thread , but where a bouts are you located ? We are planning to be up in Cape Breton the first two weeks in August.

I am located in Bridgewater on the South Shore of Nova Scotia,one hour south of Halifax.

Have a great trip to Cape Breton.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 07-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
We have all seen from forum discussions that the generations that came after the WWII generation have less patience and tolerance for what they may see as meaningless tasks and rules set-up by the WWII folks
What is even more interesting is all the rules being invented that don't exist! It seems some folks invent rules to harass others or invent rules in order to complain about something.

There is a generational shift in progress. It has been ongoing for quite a while. It will make a difference, and has made a difference, over time.

What is perhaps more important are cultural changes. This hits people a lot closer to the heart and may be why some folks impose rules that don't exist except in their own hearts and why some folks get super bothered about the name change issue.

It is all about people and that can be a challenge that provides great benefits if you work with them rather than taking your marbles and going to play somewhere else.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I'd like to highlight some examples of success within the NEU but I've got to get "The Tube" packed up as we are heading out to a rally right after work. Oh, btw there is going to be a healthy mix of elders, baby boomers and generation X'ers in attendance - I'm really looking forward to it. [/quote]
You must have been at the Georgetown rally, really sorry we missed it - hope the weather held out, I can only describe the rain in southern Maine as biblical. Anyway, rain or shine the NEU always has a good time. We had to take the boyz to Bryant Pond today to the Maine Conservation School for camp. Passed the Augusta's on their return along the way and saw another bullet in the Kennebunk rest area. Speaking of the PA caravan, my 11 year old rode there and back with a single older gentleman he had never met - they got along great. Don't count them out - they have great stories and wonderful life experiences. We do our thing, they do there's, and at the end of the day we share our stories. Although this thread is getting lengthy and I have read it with interest, what was the original problem that would cause a unit officer to resign? I had met the originator at our spring business meeting, what a delight. How could a group with all the same interests cause this to happen? Discontent and resentment is not in the formula for a successful organization that is full of volunteers with a common theme.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
We want different things!

Thanks Peegreen for the compliment, thanks Mike for the invite to NS I'm seriously thinking of coming...

The membership has been informed of my resignation. Some are ready to become members of the new unit I plan to organize.

Younger members want something that dosen't resemble work. Uniforms, special clothes, rules, and meetings are too much for today's causual world.

I also think some of us are looking for a bit more adventure. Short Caravans that they can attend, less formality around rallies.

I think we want less structure. We are encouraged to follow the format. Well I don't want to get up at 7am for breakfast on my day off unless I'm going fishing.

Talk to me guys what do you want?

Robin
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
I was able to get one rule abolished, the prohibition against openly consuming adult beverages.
Perhaps that will make working on the other 41 better.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:03 PM   #88

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
The other thing my husband and I were talking about was how restrictive our camping has become. Because we were active members of this Unit we were told our Rallies should stay in a geographic area so other members could attend.
I talked to our unit president a couple of years ago that if we couldn't alter the rally structure, that we some of us might advertise to the membership some informal get togethers for weekends. I was discouraged by the president in my approach since I was told that such a thing would splinter our unit and could negatively affect regular rally attendance.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:23 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Here are two examples of 'attitude' that we need to find how to work around:
Quote:
we were told our Rallies should stay in a geographic area so other members could attend.
and
Quote:
I was told that such a thing would splinter our unit and could negatively affect regular rally attendance.
Both cases, people were "told" - Other than give them a 'Fantastic' a smile and then ignoring them, what would be an appropriate response that could help bring these people's viewpoints around to the idea that the goal is to go out and enjoy the Airstream experience and that more opportunities means a more viable organization?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
Here are two examples of 'attitude' that we need to find how to work around:
and

Both cases, people were "told" - Other than give them a 'Fantastic' a smile and then ignoring them, what would be an appropriate response that could help bring these people's viewpoints around to the idea that the goal is to go out and enjoy the Airstream experience and that more opportunities means a more viable organization?
Well..... don't keep us guessing , what would be an appropriate response ?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #91

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Well the answer I would have liked to hear was "that's a great idea, let me know what I can do to help you pull this off."

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
A Classic Response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Well the answer I would have liked to hear was "that's a great idea, let me know what I can do to help you pull this off."

Jack
And one that will always foster motivated participation and more good ideas!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
[quote=65GT]Not so fast there Ticki2. I don't think that statement was made with an actual factual answer at hand. It was merely presented for you to ponder in deep reflection and come up with your own answer and then present that to the round table here. I'm starting to catch on to these things you know...

I'm sure glad someone is catching on . Every time I think I have , I get re-lost
Old 07-24-2006, 08:27 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
RPS has too many rules! Georgia would require more than I have. I like Joe's picture better. The FSI technique didn't fit Tim's reception so I am confused about that story, but that's normal.

There is no one answer for how to redirect some folks but there is a significant need for us to learn how to cope with those who squash new ideas without appropriate consideration. With all the brainpower, imagination, creativity, and life experience in these forums, there is surely some guidance for this and I have indeed seen a lot in just this thread.
FSI (Fantastic! Smile Ignore) is one technique but should be considered more of a last resort. We need to find better ways to get those who invent rules that don't otherwise exist, who know things that aren't necessarily true, and who are rather reluctant to explore, learn, and try something new back into the fold.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
But Which is Who...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Attached is a pic of Bryan and me just before he, well, disappeared. I did like his jacket though...

__
Inquiring minds want to know...
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #96
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
I've been following this and klevan's thread with a lot of interest and truely wish success to both of them in their attempts.
I have noticed a difference in responses between the two threads.In klevan's thread there seem to a lot more responses of interest to start a new unit.Why is this?
I believe the way the New England Unit seems to be doing things is part of the reason.My hat is off to you guys and gals.
With the amount of posters from the northeast on the forums who are not members of WBCCI it still surprises me that the response hasn't been better.
rgesch seems to want a unit of less rules and organization and more emphasis on camping and using your Airstream.That sounds like something I've read on these forums a million times .

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 07-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Lookin for a Unit

I finally heard from the Region Pres. and then the Unit pres. The Region pres.e-mailed me to refer me to the Unit Pres. who sent an E-mail about next years dues. Lol. Maybe after I pay next years dues they will welcome me and tell me when and where they meet.

You know WBCCI might have more members if Some of the Regions and Units acted like they would like a new member and they were welcome. Am I upset? Nope. Just an observation. It took a month to get a response but in all fairness these folks were busy with the International and the Caravan they went on after. Before they responded to us they had contacted the International to see about how to switch our status from MAL which added time but I do see the need to straighten out the paperwork. It would have been good business and nice however to at least welcome us to the Unit. I am wondering if that will ever happen.

Life is what you make of it and so is the WBCCI. We are gonna make the best of it. By the way this particular Unit was touting their new name (eieio) before the International. Hmmmm.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Hi,

I'm am curious too why there are not as many responses for the Northeast. I do however agree the New England Unit is a great alternative, and thank god they have been there as the unhappy WBCCI members would have not had a place to go.

When you are a member of a large group it is easier to find and stick to what you enjoy the most. If you are a doer well you can do. Rallies, luncheons, whatever floats your boat. If you are more of a joiner well the doers will create and the joiners will join in.

In the WMNHU there are 6 active members. That says it all! How can a joiner who does not necessarily want to be a doer get what they are looking for in the club? Our Unit has burned these people out trying to involve them too quickly. They did not study the playing field, they pushed their agenda and that sent members running.

They never looked at anything else. I left and now no one is jumping in to do the work other than the 1st VP, they are still considering doing Region One with now 4 active members how insane is that??????? What is that going to do to any new members coming in????? They refuse to learn from the past mistakes.
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #99
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
I'm am curious too why there are not as many responses for the Northeast.
because we already have what you're trying to create: a fun unit that doesn't emphasize rules and focuses on having fun. So why re-invent the wheel?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:30 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
because we already have what you're trying to create: a fun unit that doesn't emphasize rules and focuses on having fun. So why re-invent the wheel?
Ditto
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote