Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #41
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alan
Anyone Been Fishen?
Matter of fact, been fishin twice with the Motorhome (pullin the boat bhind). Once with high winds and no luck, and once with beautiful weather and walleyes to eat!! Minnesoota is grand in the Summer. So far this year, no mosquitoes either.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titu & Gail
Jim,

Have a great time this weekend and make the most of it! Don't get discouraged with what some other members have experienced. Our New England Unit is so much fun! The new friends I have met in my unit are a delight to be with! With so many regions & units, there with be some units more political and clicky and overburdened with rules. That being said, this being a volunteer social organization (WBCCI), any changes that somebody believes is detrimental, should be brought upon from within.

So.............. you & your family have a lot of fun this weekend at your first rally!

Gail
Gail, thanks. We will do our best. I going camping with my family, in a great trailer, at a great place, all the rest is icing on the cake.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
marlborough , Massachusetts
ditto gail... well said...
Robin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titu & Gail
Jim,

Have a great time this weekend and make the most of it! Don't get discouraged with what some other members have experienced. Our New England Unit is so much fun! The new friends I have met in my unit are a delight to be with! With so many regions & units, there with be some units more political and clicky and overburdened with rules. That being said, this being a volunteer social organization (WBCCI), any changes that somebody believes is detrimental, should be brought upon from within.

So.............. you & your family have a lot of fun this weekend at your first rally!

Gail
Elaine L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:34 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
  • The flag protocol what is that about, is the proper way to fly the US Flag, which we should all do out of respect or is it about all the additional flags which seem to be used ?
  • What fine’s are given and for what? I think you might have a hard time collecting from me and I would fine you back.
A lot of folks like to fly flags from their rigs to show support for their country and their state and perhaps to indicate their office or other affiliation. There are international protocols for displaying the flags of states and countries and so on. WBCCI supports these protocols and likes its members to display flags with due respect for the entities whose flags are being shown. You can find a reference in the WBCCI Blue Book (governance handbook) or at
http://www.legion.org/our_flag/of_main.htm
http://suvcw.org/flag.htm
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

Fines in any WBCCI Unit should only be a voluntary means to help support the kitty - i.e. a donation to the cause. I think this sort of thing is fading out of WBCCI Units. I think you have the right idea as I don't think this sort of thing should apply to anyone who is not familiar with how the group functions and on a friendly basis with the folks in the Unit. (most of the time when I see fines for silly infractions in the rules or proceedures it spells this out)

As for people - I suggest that you take the initiative to meet and greet and make new friends. I would hope the folks in the Unit would be taking the initiative to meet and greet and get to know you but sometimes they get tied up in their own circles so you have to provde a reminder.

Occasionally you'll run across someone whose has lost their sense of propriety and completely forgotten what the club is all about. One of these seems to have been the stimulus for this thread (but I don't know the whole story, either). The best advice I got in discussing this at Salem was to just reply "Fantastic!" with a big smile and then ignore them. (this was suggested as a symbol of a new movement ... ;-) ). If ignoring them doesn't do, try to have them carefully explain what their problem is with you and what it is they think you should be doing - then go find somebody more friendly to talk to. As long as you are polite and don't get in anyone's way, odds are nobody is going to forcibly remove you. But I would suggest finding someone with a calm demeanor and saying "I'm new here, is this what this club is all about?" If you gather a few allies, the bullies tend to fade away. And, from what I have seen, you should have a lot of allies!

(of course, you could try my approach and talk them to exasperation ...)

Anyway, it is too bad that the ugly behavior members (UBM's) have such an impact on the discussions. There aren't too many of them and there are plenty of ways to get around them. I just take it as an education problem in that we need to help these UBM's learn what the club is about and reflect that in how they welcome others. There has been a time or two when a group has had to face them down - and then they come on these forums talking about their nasty experiences! We need to find ways to get everyone on the program of having a good time with their Airstream while respecting others and being open to new people and new ideas and new ways of doing things. Its a big job and your help is needed.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:04 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks for the Detailed Explanation

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed explanation. I completely understand flag etiquette and even the fine system now. This is not a slam but the WBCCI is a lot like the Boy Scouts, which I am evolved in. Scouts have a great respect for God, Country and others. Some Scout Masters can take it to the extreme and others go with the flow you have to find your fit. I found nothing objectionable in your explanation and the WBCCI has the same personalities you would find in any organization. I will find a unit I fit in with and give it go.

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:22 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
UBMs

I think I have just had a close encounter with a UBM. I was entertaining the idea of joining another unit or becoming a MAL when I was told that my unit would have been warmer towards me had I not bad mouthed them, and if I had bothered to attend a local rally in my three years membership. And why couldn't I afford 20 dollar luncheons and rally fees when I could trade for another AS? I was told there would be quite a few 20 dollar luncheons in the hits I took.

(I did attend a local rally, I guess I was not noticed.) Was thinking of going to the next one too, it's good someone let the cat out of the bag before I actually walked into it.

Now if I had neighbors like I did at the International, you would not be able to keep me away! Just goes to show you, there are all kinds.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed explanation. I completely understand flag etiquette and even the fine system now. This is not a slam but the WBCCI is a lot like the Boy Scouts, which I am evolved in. Scouts have a great respect for God, Country and others. Some Scout Masters can take it to the extreme and others go with the flow you have to find your fit. I found nothing objectionable in your explanation and the WBCCI has the same personalities you would find in any organization. I will find a unit I fit in with and give it go.

Thanks Jim
Jim,

You have it exactly, good luck in your search.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I think I have just had a close encounter with a UBM. I was entertaining the idea of joining another unit or becoming a MAL when I was told that my unit would have been warmer towards me had I not bad mouthed them, and if I had bothered to attend a local rally in my three years membership. And why couldn't I afford 20 dollar luncheons and rally fees when I could trade for another AS? I was told there would be quite a few 20 dollar luncheons in the hits I took.

(I did attend a local rally, I guess I was not noticed.) Was thinking of going to the next one too, it's good someone let the cat out of the bag before I actually walked into it.

Now if I had neighbors like I did at the International, you would not be able to keep me away! Just goes to show you, there are all kinds.
Carol,

If you had a great time at International .......wait until you come to "Allumination Celebration" in August and we'll show you a BLAST! We are going to have an Ambassador assigned per 10 rigs, to make sure we are in touch we EVERYONE attending, and most IMPORTANTLY.......... nobody feels left out. Our goal in our unit is to make EVERYONE feel special and comfortable attending our rallies.

Look forward to meeting you soon!

Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Cool! But if I am going to be meeting ambassadors I just better get myself a new outfit.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:34 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Cool! But if I am going to be meeting ambassadors I just better get myself a new outfit.
I wouldn't bother, depending on the weather the ambassadors will be wearing shorts or sweatpants - we are a pretty casual group.

PS - We will be wearing shirts too, it's a state law for women at least.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt

PS - We will be wearing shirts too, it's a state law for women at least.
New England prudes.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-19-2006, 01:07 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Reason to be a MAL

65GT,
I have a perfect reason to be a MAL. I have contacted a Unit and the region 12 Pres. to join a unit and have recived NO REPLY from either. I had hoped to join a unit in L.A. County but it seems they are not taking on new members. Now to be fair Wkerfoot invited me into his unit weeks ago but he is in Orange County which is several hours away.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:40 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
Matter of fact, been fishin twice with the Motorhome (pullin the boat bhind). Once with high winds and no luck, and once with beautiful weather and walleyes to eat!! Minnesoota is grand in the Summer. So far this year, no mosquitoes either.
I HAD A PLACE ON LAKE ANDRUSIA, PART OF THE CASS LAKE CHAIN BEFORE I MOVED TO FLORIDA FOR MY HOME BASE. I STILL PULL MY LUND AROUND IN HOPES OF FINDING A FISH DOWN HERE THAT APROACHES A WALLEYE. I MADE THE TRIP TO MN 2 YEARS AGO AND THE BLACK FLYS AND SKEETERS DROVE ME AWAY - NICE TO BE ABLE TO JUST START'ER UP AND MOVE ON.

TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE PARTICIPATING IN THIS THREAD - TAKE A MOMENT TO SMELL THE FLOWERS, SHARE A CAMP FIRE, BE NICE TO A CHILD. LIFE IS PRETTY DARN SHORT
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:14 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
My hubby actually wore a tye-dye to a gathering and from one of the elder members he got, "you know, in my day we had to wear jackets to this"....oops...did we break a rule??
No, you didn't break a rule! The "elders" like to reminisce at times about how things were in earlier days. They are just pointing out how things have changed over time. It’s interesting to hear the differences and how, as time marches on, things do (and will continue to) change.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:57 AM   #55
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
No, you didn't break a rule! The "elders" like to reminisce at times about how things were in earlier days. They are just pointing out how things have changed over time. It’s interesting to hear the differences and how, as time marches on, things do (and will continue to) change.
That's what I was thinking, too. You can't tell...especially from printed text vs spoken word, how that phrase was meant. I know I've heard some of the elders say similar things, and they meant "...and wasn't that silly? boy I'm glad its changed". not "you dress like a bum", or "you're not doing it (whatever it is) right".
there are some really funny stories out there about "the way it was". "we used to dig gopher holes under the trailer, and dump the poop in there". trust me...they're not suggesting that YOU (or anyone) should be doing that now. things change.

although...now that I think of it....I did get some detailed instructions from a tribal elder on how to make a blue-boy into a "leaky bucket" gray water disposal unit, and it did seem like more of a suggestion than a history lesson.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
for an award winning gopher hole, see
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/ow...ng/sewage.html

At one rally (central Texas, 60's), the telephone company came out with their big auger to make nice holes - one for each trailer. Even today, some houses out in the boonies use this 'dry well' technique for their sewer treatment method.

Them is just like us, just different.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:23 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
65GT,
I might be a real mess but they should at least talk to me in person or via phone to verify it first!

You know the $19.00 is not an issue.

Last year while driving. 40 mi. from Hawthorne Nevada I saw four WBCCIers caravaning in the opposite direction. I though how cool was that. People banding together to go places and do things. So the Mrs. and I saved our money and juggled our finances to get an Airstream and join WBCCI. We joined WBCCI before we even picked up our trailer. I remain positive that we will hook up with a unit that will either be active and fun or that we can instigate the unit to go places and be fun. WBCCI offers a fantastic opportunity but thats all. It's up to the individuals in the club to make it what they want it to be.

Remember: "Adventure is where you find it." W.B.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
65GT,
I have a perfect reason to be a MAL. I have contacted a Unit and the region 12 Pres. to join a unit and have recived NO REPLY from either. I had hoped to join a unit in L.A. County but it seems they are not taking on new members. Now to be fair Wkerfoot invited me into his unit weeks ago but he is in Orange County which is several hours away.
Our September rally is in Yucaipa, October in Newport Beach, November in Mailbu. Our rallies travel around Southern California, Arizona and southern Nevada. We have had rallies in Santa Barbara, Buellton, Death Valley, Ramona, San Diego, San Clemente. Just because I am in Orange County doesn't mean the rallies are there. Immediate past president in San Diego, current president in Indio and next year in Oceanside.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 07-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
...I have a perfect reason to be a MAL. I have contacted a Unit and the region 12 Pres. to join a unit and have recived NO REPLY from either. I had hoped to join a unit in L.A. County but it seems they are not taking on new members.
Goin Camping:

Please be aware that many Unit and Regional officers arrive early at International in mid June and frequently head off on a Caravan that departs directly from International in early July for a few weeks trip, so they may be on the road and out of touch for a month or more at a time. And because many of them are older and are retired, they are not as compulsive as us younger working folks are about staying connected via phone messages or the Internet. Heck, I never retrive any of my home phone messages when I'm away for a week or more -- when I'm gone, I'm GONE. Many of them are where I'd like to be, out on the road, perhaps temporarily out of touch, away from cares left behind -- just like the Airstream ads promise. So, it may just be that your timing in contacting them was not in sync with their Rallying and Caravanning schedules. Give them a little more time to return your call, as their clock speed is likely relaxingly slower than yours.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Last year while driving. 40 mi. from Hawthorne Nevada
If you got that far, you are almost there - Sierra Nevada Unit territory. You'd be welcome to any of our rallies anytime you are on this side of the hill. We know about communications or lack there of. As a Unit, I guess we just said "fantastic" and went about doing what we needed to do for the health of the SNU and the enjoyment of our members. We've worked hard on utilizing a variety of communication methods because we want to make sure all our members know what is going on in the Unit, can have input into decisions and voice opinions. Flexibility is a cornerstone in all we do from communications to rallies. We do this because our members are scattered all over. Many still work, have families, have other obligations, and even travel extensively. These things make their physical participation sometimes infrequent. We are delighted to see them when they can come and miss them when they can't. But no matter what, each and every one is a valuable asset to the SNU as a whole.

I agree with 65GT on MAL's. There are Units out there, in CA and elswhere. Sooner or later you will find the one that fits for you.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote